Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ladies please- advice needed

Options
  • 29-02-2016 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I hope someone has some advice they can give me or experiences to share to make me feel a little better. Just to let mods know I'm not looking for medical advice,I've been to a doctor already and he says nothing to worry about.
    I came off the contraceptive pill about 3 years ago after being on it for roughly 8 years.
    About a year after coming off it my skin went pretty bad with breakouts. Now after about two years off it it's almost unbearable. Most days I am embarrassed to leave the house due to my skin and it's making my life a misery. I get so frustrated as I used to have gorgeous skin and only got maybe one or two spots around my period. At the moment I have 5 big cyst type spots on my face and I am so embarrassed as sometimes they come on out of nowhere,sometimes coming to ahead sometimes not.
    I honestly look like an addict when I don't have makeup on as they look angry and sore.
    I know this may seem trivial to most people but it's really affecting my self esteem. I tend to cover my face anyway I can now, just so people won't look at me as I know some of my friends are probably thinking I used to have good skin and what happened. I'm also single and trying to chat to men is nearly impossible for me as I feel the minute they see my skin without makeup they'll run.
    Can anyone share advice/experiences of coming off the pill and this has happened to them as well?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I can sympathise, I've suffered with this for years too. Firstly, are you on the contraceptive pill? That was a huge help for me.
    My acne was hormonal and it really helped get it under control, although it didn't get rid of it completely. Secondly, you'll need to put a huge amount of work into your skincare routine, never missing a step.
    I find the Nip + Fab range (particularly the glycolic fix line) really good and very affordable. I'm at the stage where my skin has finally calmed down (touch wood) so I'm trying to do damage control on the scarring and I've found its worked wonders. Mask of Magnamity from lush is also fantastic for reducing redness and reducing swollen spots. Read some online reviews for the products and you'll see yourself how successful they were for other people controlling their acne.
    If none of those work for you, maybe you should consider going on accutane, which you'd get from your doctor. It's 100% effective but extremely hard on the system so should only be used as a last resort.
    A lot of people will tell you not to wear make up to let your skin breathe, and while I'd agree for evening time/when your alone at home, if you need a full face to feel comfortable in public, just do it. It can't be making things any worse and it might make you feel better.
    Lastly, I just wanted to say I hope you find a combination of products that will get it under control. I know how much of a confidence killer it can be and I've been through all the feelings your feeling.

EDIT - just reread the last few lines. Exactly the same thing happened me when I came off the pill. If it's an option definitely go back on it, it was the only thing that helped me get it back under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks whiteroses, I'm going to go back on the pill in about 3 months as I'm on medication that interferes with it but will be off it soon. I'm going to try the nip and fab range I think because I saw it in tk maxx (of all places:D)
    It's just disheartening because when I seem to get it slightly under control it flares up around the time of my ovulation and period.

Mods- sorry I meant to to put this post in personal problems not relationship issues, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thanks whiteroses, I'm going to go back on the pill in about 3 months as I'm on medication that interferes with it but will be off it soon. I'm going to try the nip and fab range I think because I saw it in tk maxx (of all places:D)
    It's just disheartening because when I seem to get it slightly under control it flares up around the time of my ovulation and period.

Mods- sorry I meant to to put this post in personal problems not relationship issues, sorry.

I would suggest booking a beauticians appointment for a facial (or even seeing a dermatologist if you can afford it) before using any new products on your skin as the wrong ones could cause more problems.

I used to think my skin was greasy and wondered why it was in such bad condition until I had a facial and found out it was actually very dry and extremely sensitive with just one greasy area around the nose. So all my products were making my already dry skin worse and causing redness and spots from irritation. What worked for the above poster might not work for you and leave you with less money and no further along! Once you know what your skin type is, and what's causing the problem you can think about product ranges to try. The beauty forum is a great place to pick up tips.

A really good beautician will clean your skin and offer loads of suggestions for good products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Have you seen a dermatologist yet? They would absolutely be the best people to advise you on how to treat your skin

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Pinkmoon19

Hiya,

Have you been tested for polycystic ovaries? Sometimes bad acne can be a symptom. It could be worth ruling it out, if you haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I would go to a dermatologist, or if you can't afford that, then back to your GP.

Ask about roaccutane or other alternatives. Most acne can be treated and gotten rid of, so there is no need to be struggling like this.

I don't believe over the counter products will help you - i had really bad skin growing up and it was only the doctor who managed to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

I strongly advise a trip to a dermatologist. I know a they are not cheap but if you find your skin causing you so much distress then I think its money well spent. I know my dermatologist loves La Roche Posay as a day to day skincare range, as many do. Perhaps have a look at that range. Hickeys pharmacies carry a great choice of their products.
    But it sounds like you will need something stronger to sort it out in the first instance.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I've heard of accutane before and have heard absolute horror stories so I think I will give it a miss. With makeup on it covers relatively good but still causes me a lot confidence issues when I feel the night wear on and the makeup running off.
    I don't believe I have PCOS as periods are normally every 21-23 days,never miss any and have lost weight since the symptoms developed but may look into it if everything else comes up fruitless.
    I'm putting it down to being on the pill religiously for so long it's like my body has forgot how to function without it.
    Unfortunately due to a relationship break down and moving,I am absolutely skint and physically don't have the money to invest in a dermatologist at this point. I tried to save money as I was planning to go to one but unfortunately something very urgent came up and the piggy bank is now empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I had a lot of trouble with acne when I was younger. It went away when I was on the pill or taking medication that doctor prescribed. Once I came off those, my skin went to the dogs. I tried all sorts of over the counter medications including some mentioned here but none worked. In the end all that cleared it was Roaccutane. Hopefully your skin woes can be cleared up without needing Roaccuntane but that's something for you and your GP to decide.

I took Roaccutane and apart from my needing to have lip balm to hand all the time, it was grand. It is expensive but it's so worth it. I wish I had gone about it sooner because I've got acne scarring. If I hadn't faffed around trying this remedy and that remedy, I'd have had my skin sorted long before I did. What I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is don't rule out Accutane just because you've heard horror stories. I'm not saying there aren't nasty side effects for some people but if you're properly monitored by your doctor you should be OK.

I have incredibly oily skin, dreadful blackheads around my nose, and a relatively recent feature is quite hard lumpy/bumpy reddish spots. There's probably a few medical/hormonal reasons I have that.

I've tried various meds over the years. The only 3 things that ever worked for me are:
    - take your make up off when you come home, and be scrupulous about it. Every last scrap. There's a woman who writes a decent beauty column for the Guardian (Sali Hughes). I like her stuff cos she'll review fancy things and cheap things. Just the quality of the product seems to be important to her. Anyway, she advocates the 'hot cloth' method of cleansing: put your cleanser on, and use a wash cloth that you've rinsed in hot water to remove the makeup and really clean your face (well I think you're probably meant to remove as much of the make up as you can first - the hot cloth thing makes your face feel really clean tho.) and only use the cloth once before you wash it!

- steaming your face over a bowl of hot water every night. Not too hot, you don't want broken veins on your face. Again though, great for that deep-clean feeling, and definitely helps clear up your skin

- bare minerals make up (that particular brand, I've had no success with any other mineral make up). I was so happy when someone asked me if I had v good skin, or v good makeup! Someone I've known for years, so she knew what I looked like with expensive oil free makeup. I'd honestly pay double the price for the bare minerals stuff.

No magic solutions, but I hope that might be of some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Oh good god I could of written your post except mine is all over my face chest back and neck
    So after doing roaccutane which cleared it up, it came back again
    So now I am taking vit a, zinc, evening primose oil and I use the la roche posay range with the nip and fab exfoliating pads once a day, I can say I've had an 80% improvement and can cope with what I have now
    I also recommend having an aloe vera plant and putting fresh gel on each bad spot at night going to bed
    Best concealer I found (after a lot of purchases!!) Was the Inglot cream one no 60
    Good luck I hope all of my extensive research helps!!

Thank you all so much for your help. I know it sounds terrible but it makes me feel better knowing other people go though this cause all I see is beautiful skin walking around everywhere!
    I don't know have I mixed up roaccutane with accuntane? Are they the same? I've heard people feeling suicidal on accuntane. I'll do more research on both :)

Thank you all so much for your help. I know it sounds terrible but it makes me feel better knowing other people go though this cause all I see is beautiful skin walking around everywhere!
    I don't know have I mixed up roaccutane with accuntane? Are they the same? I've heard people feeling suicidal on accuntane. I'll do more research on both :)

I think there is only Roaccutane. Its been around for yonks, as have the stories about suicide risk. In my not very medical opinion, once you're under the care of your doctor, this risk is minimal, as it is a known risk and you'll be asked about any changes in mood or behavior, and if its affecting you, you'd be taken off it straight away. They obviously won't provide it to anyone with a history of mental health issues but for most people its extremely effective.

I was lucky in that I was able to take an alternative that worked for me, but Roaccutane is famous as its the only thing that works in really severe cases.

The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor because there are likely more options on the market than just Roaccutane, and they can advise you of the risks.

IMO - the damage that really bad acne can do to a persons life is worth the risk of taking medication in a properly supervised manner.

I only get 3 or 4 spots at a time,maybe 5. it's the size on them really. They are massive and more like cysts than anything else. I got my periods and my skin is already clearing up (at least for another week or two) obviously I still have red marks but it's a little less angry looking
    I'll look in to all options. Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

OP I know you're skint, but if there's any way you can scrimp and save to get yourself a dermatologist referral then I'd do that as a matter of priority.

I went through years of crap skin and know exactly what you're going through - you'll probably rush out and buy a bunch of new skincare products and try all sorts of mad regimes to find that magic bullet, only to be left more deflated in the aftermath.

Some products are good for superficial acne, but what you describe is deeper than that and really the only long-term solution will be one prescribed by a derm. Personally I did 2 courses of accutane over a 4 year period and now I've got normal, odd-pimple-every-so-often skin and only wish I'd done it sooner. The toll it takes on your self confidence is pretty profound. Honestly, it's a miracle pill IME. The suicide thing is thrown out a lot but trust me, if you have a reputable doctor the drug will be taken very seriously and you'll be monitored regularly, pregnancy tests, checkups, the works. A bit of dryness was the worst of my symptoms.

If that's not an option at the moment then I'd advise avoiding sugar and drinking LOADS of water, just non stop throughout the day. Aim for 3+ litres. It's the only thing that sort of helped a little for me before accutane.

beks101 wrote: »
    OP I know you're skint, but if there's any way you can scrimp and save to get yourself a dermatologist referral then I'd do that as a matter of priority.

I went through years of crap skin and know exactly what you're going through - you'll probably rush out and buy a bunch of new skincare products and try all sorts of mad regimes to find that magic bullet, only to be left more deflated in the aftermath.

Some products are good for superficial acne, but what you describe is deeper than that and really the only long-term solution will be one prescribed by a derm. Personally I did 2 courses of accutane over a 4 year period and now I've got normal, odd-pimple-every-so-often skin and only wish I'd done it sooner. The toll it takes on your self confidence is pretty profound. Honestly, it's a miracle pill IME. The suicide thing is thrown out a lot but trust me, if you have a reputable doctor the drug will be taken very seriously and you'll be monitored regularly, pregnancy tests, checkups, the works. A bit of dryness was the worst of my symptoms.

If that's not an option at the moment then I'd advise avoiding sugar and drinking LOADS of water, just non stop throughout the day. Aim for 3+ litres. It's the only thing that sort of helped a little for me before accutane.

+1

Couldnt agree more.

I wish I'd had medical intervention sooner also, but I was just a kid at the time. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have been saves years of heartache.

Chances are you're spending loads of various over the counter creams and lotions - this money would be much better spent on one trip to the doctor/dermatologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Op regarding the roaccutane it's not necessarily the 'horror story' some people make it out to be.

Yes there can be side effects but it's the same with most prescription medication.Even anti depressants have suicidal ideation as a side effect and initially they can make some people feel suicidal.

But you are closely monitored with this drug and if you had any major side effects you would be taken off it.

A dermatologist may set you back anything between 120 and 200/220euro. They all differ in price so you can ring around and get the best value.

I never had a pizza face but there were always outbreaks on the horizon. As I said, I tried everything and when they didn't work, I was referred to a dermatologist. The dermatologist addressed the suicide issue when going through the potential side effects. You've got to remember that lots of drugs can have nasty side effects but most people never experience them. A person on accutane is constantly monitored. When I was taking it I had to have my bloods checked every month. The GP or the practice nurse used to check with me how I was feeling. So did the dermatologist. Really, for the vast majority of people the only thing they'll notice is dryness. I know a few other people who took it and they were fine too. Really, if your GP decides accutane is the route to go, raise your concerns with him or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭fits

I felt brilliant after taking accutane cos it cleared up my skin!
    Main side effect was dry skin and needing lipbalm to hand. I was also a bit stiff for a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I know that all of you had fantastic reactions to roaccutane and while my acne cleared up I would never again go on it, between the non stop nose bleeds, eye infections, cracked lips, bone pains and the monthly blood tests it wasn't worth it to me, especially when I can get an 80% response without all those side effects with the current regime I am doing ......saying that I am aware that I seem to have been very unlucky with side effects

• Advertisement

I know that all of you had fantastic reactions to roaccutane and while my acne cleared up I would never again go on it, between the non stop nose bleeds, eye infections, cracked lips, bone pains and the monthly blood tests it wasn't worth it to me, especially when I can get an 80% response without all those side effects with the current regime I am doing ......saying that I am aware that I seem to have been very unlucky with side effects

True - I've never taken it so not really advocating it, but what I am advocating is going to a doctor and taking something. There are plenty of options out there - Roaccutane is just the most well known.

Roaccutane is the gold standard, strongest thing on the market. I personally (15 years ago mind you) took Minocin which is not as strong but was extremely effective and I suffered no ill effects.

I just think that in this day and age there is no real reason to suffer with severe acne. You will be able to find a treatment that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭fits

the topical tretinoin gels are really effective as well.

Really this all boils down to going to your GP and not ruling anything in or out solely based on our opinions or on Google. Best of luck :)

Hi guys thanks again. I went to doctors and they said I didn't need anything and it's hormonal. I'm in midst of another health issue so unfortunately couldn't be investing anymore money in a derm. I just thought there might be some miracle cream I didn't know about or was hoping someone would say this happened to them when they came off the pill :) thanks though,if it gets any worse I'll go back to my doctor and asked to be taken seriously ( as I don't think they do)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I only get 3 or 4 spots at a time,maybe 5. it's the size on them really. They are massive and more like cysts than anything else. I got my periods and my skin is already clearing up (at least for another week or two) obviously I still have red marks but it's a little less angry looking
    I'll look in to all options. Thanks guys

I had the same and please dont rule out roaccutane if it keeps flaring up (or accutane, goes by both names). All the horror stories are just that - the stories you find with any medication....no one goes online to bitch about not getting side effects. I know many people who have been on it and worst side effect is dry skin and membranes....lips, nose, ears etc. Worst case is you need to have a lip balm with you at all times. There is also the added benefit of no greasy hair! I eventually convinced my father to try it, in his 50s still with adult acne and he's never been happier, worked a charm and regrets not trying it sooner. My boyfriend suffers from bad back acne and has freaked out over potential side effects so ive not managed to convince him yet....9 years on and surprise surprise the acne has not managed to magically disappear yet. Do consider it.....it will work, you can spend hundreds of euro on all sorts of treatment with the hope that it'll work but just remember that roaccutane WILL work.

Edit: with the whole suicidal thing....thats only relevant for people with a history of depression or mental issues, and if you are well aware of the side effects and not prone to depression then you will be well aware that any emotional effects ares are just from the medication....thats in the very unlikely event you feel its effecting your emotions.

Also someone mentioned all the blood tests, i tried other acne medication before roaccutane and had to get liver function tests for them all. The other acne medications worked well too....only once i came off them the acne would come back with a vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I have a similar problem OP. Recently I was prescribed Duac cream by my GP which I found great. Also using clarins products for oily/combination skin has helped a lot. All of these are extremely drying so you would need to be sure you do have oily skin.

Have never posted before but your post broke my heart! I've suffered from acne for 20 years and treated it with a combination of minocin, the pill and topical creams. Stopped using them all about 18 months ago. Had the worst breakout imaginable. Huge cysts all over my chin and my cheeks. Each cyst could last 3 or 4 weeks, and others would break out before the previous ones would heal. It was horrendous.

I don't think that any creams or cleansers or potions work. I don't have polycyclic ovaries. I went to get acupuncture last September. The acupuncturist referred me to a nutritionist who did a food tolerance test. I cut out all the food he said I had an intolerance to. It was hard and I fell off the wagon sometimes. I continued with the acupuncture weekly, then fortnightly and then monthly. My skin in clear now. I still have some scarring and redness but it's clearing up. I do get a tiny spot when I ovulate and when my period comes. The treatment was expensive but it worked.

The whole ordeal was horrendous. Acne is a terrible affliction. I'm so sorry for what you're going through - I was you 6 months ago.

Thanks anonymous44444 I'm glad your skin is on the mend,I hope I can be where you're at someday! I might look into a nutritionist when I can as I never actually thought it could have to do with food so that is a definite option!
    Once I get my money situation and my other health issue sorted I'm going to look into roaccutane and/or a nutritionist ☺

Hi guys thanks again. I went to doctors and they said I didn't need anything and it's hormonal. I'm in midst of another health issue so unfortunately couldn't be investing anymore money in a derm. I just thought there might be some miracle cream I didn't know about or was hoping someone would say this happened to them when they came off the pill :) thanks though,if it gets any worse I'll go back to my doctor and asked to be taken seriously ( as I don't think they do)

This makes me so cross, when doctors don't take the effects of acne seriously. I can cripple your self confidence and make a person utterly miserable.

Fine if they don't want to prescribe Roaccutane straight away without trying other treatments as there are plenty on the market, but to dismiss it as just hormonal when its making you miserable is wrong IMO.

If it doesnt clear up soon I'd be straight back to the doctors, and if you're not taken seriously I'd be shopping around for a new GP!

There is no need to put up with acne in this day and age.

• Advertisement

@sarahmollie I know it's ridiculous. I had 2 massive spots about 2 weeks ago and I was at a doctor for a check up and said I'd mention it. I said something along the lines of "and these are really bothering me" signalling to where my spots were. He just looked at them and go's "oh that's a pimple".... I was just thinking well duh ..I know what it is,it's more than a pimple though. Then he went on to say "sure you are lucky you look so young and it(the spot) adds to your youthful appearance..
    All I could do was laugh it off as he obviously wasn't taking me seriously.

Advertisement