Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 5 most underrated and overrated Hurling/Football players

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You can hardly blame the player, for where his manager chooses to play him. If he doesn't have as many headline grabbing days at the office (as Conor McManus did for Monaghan yesterday, for example) it's because of where he plays on the pitch. It's not because there is something inherently deficient or lacking in MM, that leads to consistently under performing in big games and therefore deserving of the tag of "over rated."

You could even argue that it is his willingness to sacrifice his own personal glory, for the greater good of the team, that sets him apart from other great players. How many of them are willing to put their own egos aside and do that? Not all that many, I'd say.

I don't blame Murphy himself and you do have to credit him for sacrificing himself for the team.But his performances in his career do not match his talent and as a result he probably isn't as great as he is credited with (not his fault) as he hasn't delivered the number of great individual performances that he would have had he played for another county.

Personally I think he has sold himself short in his career as there are a lot of other players who could do the job he does for the team and allow him to fulfill his talent.I think he's been wasted to a large extent by Donegal so far and I can't work out why after 2012 he wasn't position closer to goal and Donegal try and play a more direct type of football.

Advertisement