Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kefir

Options
  • 25-02-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi All,

Have anybody tried Kefir.

Im planning on buying some grains so I can start making some.

Any tips or recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 red_scarlett34

Hi sillybilly,

I know this is a very late reply, did you get sorted for the kefir?

I bought some online from a woman in Sligo, see:

http://www.adverts.ie/healthcare/milk-kefir-grains-free-to-good-homes/5413640

http://www.adverts.ie/other-health-beauty/water-kefir-grains-free-to-good-homes/7380989

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have some which is growing out of control, if anyone wants some I can give it to them.
    I'd rather give it away than put it in the blender - I felt guilty the last time:D

Edit - I'm in Dublin by the way, living in tallaght, working in parkwest, but I have also heard of people posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yellowjumper

sbsquarepants- I'd love to get some if possible! I'd be able to pick them up in Tallaght some afternoon if that suits, otherwise we can arrange some other time.
    Amazing timing, I'm just getting into healing my gut, and had some kefir for the first time today.

No prob.
    Does the weekend suit? PM me your number and i'll give you a buzz to arrange something.

sbsquarepants- I'd love to get some if possible! I'd be able to pick them up in Tallaght some afternoon if that suits, otherwise we can arrange some other time.
    Amazing timing, I'm just getting into healing my gut, and had some kefir for the first time today.

I am also going to do this, probably from next week. You following a plan? I intend to follow the one in the Healthy Gut cookbook.

• Advertisement

Hi Red,

I can split what I have 3 ways if you want some? It recovers quite quickly.

Hi sbsquarepants,

I actually have more than I need at the moment too! Thanks though :)
    I've brewed lots of water kefir before but only recently started making milk kefir. Mine overfermented a few days ago into curds and whey - I think I left it too long given the heat of recent days!

It would be cool if we could get a little community going to exchange some tips and/or recipes that worked well. Do you do the second fermentation thing with fruit etc. that adds flavour and reduces the sourness? I think I will try that soon.

https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/the-thick-and-thin-of-kefir/

Found a site that has really useful info about kefir and what can go wrong.

Info on secondary fermentation:

https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/how-to-second-ferment-kefir2/

Haven't tried the secondary fermentation thing yet, but mine often separates too - I just give it a stir with a wooden spoon and it's good as new!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yellowjumper

red_scarlett34 I'm not following much of a plan, just gradually adding in different things, like a probiotic supplement and kefir and eliminating others.
    I must get some sort of a cookbook, though! What's the Healthy Gut book like?
    Getting a community going with this would be amazing, I'm totally new so any advice and tips are welcome! There's a lot of info out there, and it's a bit overwhelming to be honest...

and sbsquarepants, thanks! I've messaged you.

Hi yellowjumper,

Apologies for the late reply.

The diet from the Healthy Gut cookbook follows the GAPS diet protocol, you can find out more about that here: http://www.gapsdiet.com/gaps-introduction-diet.html

I'm not sure where you're based but Dublin City Public Libraries also have a few copies of the Healthy Gut Cookbook knocking around, that's where I first looked at it and then bought a copy to use on the diet. Even though I'm only starting the diet now I can recommend the book, it really explains things well and has nice and manageable recipes. :)

Basically it's a diet you're supposed to follow for at least 6 weeks, made up of 6 stages (each stage lasts a week or a little less), where you start off in stage 1 with only chicken stock or meat stock (homemade), fermented vegetable juice (homemade - not even sure you can buy this!) and homemade natural yoghurt at every meal. After 3-4 days you can start incorporating soups also made with your homemade chicken/meat stock, then in week 2 you can start reintroducing eggs and some other vegetables but still continuing with the fermented juice and soups made from chicken/beef stock, and so on and so forth. I'm on day 5, it's hard but I feel so much better, almost no gut-related symptoms at all.

I'm honestly not sure if taking probiotics and cutting out certain foods will make that much of a difference. It is better to eliminate everything and then reintroduce foods and take note of how they make you feel so that you can pinpoint what is causing the problem.

Anyway, just my two cents!!

• Advertisement

red_scarlett34 I'm not following much of a plan, just gradually adding in different things, like a probiotic supplement and kefir and eliminating others.
    I must get some sort of a cookbook, though! What's the Healthy Gut book like?
    Getting a community going with this would be amazing, I'm totally new so any advice and tips are welcome! There's a lot of info out there, and it's a bit overwhelming to be honest...

and sbsquarepants, thanks! I've messaged you.

How are you getting on with the kefir?

Advertisement