Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibration plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Calories? Plural, like?

Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Calories? Plural, like?

Probably not.

Do they not even burn fat?

You need to consume fewer calories than you burn to burn fat. Standing in those vibration plates for 5 minutes will burn fewer calories than walking at a reasonable pace for 5 minutes.

You need to consume fewer calories than you burn to burn fat. Standing in those vibration plates for 5 minutes will burn fewer calories than walking at a reasonable pace for 5 minutes.

So what about 20 minutes and I eat healthy anyways. I don't eat sweets, I don't drink fizzy drinks etc.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    So what about 20 minutes and I eat healthy anyways. I don't eat sweets, I don't drink fizzy drinks etc.

The 20 minutes would be better spent walking.

Or doing any other actual exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

They're the equivalent of playing FIFA on the Xbox and thinking it'll improve your football skills.

They're the equivalent of playing FIFA on the Xbox and thinking it'll improve your football skills.

So I'm literally wasting my time?

Would joining a gym do any good or are they as useless as vibration plates? If you think I should, give me some examples in north Dublin around Dublin 13 of junior gyms (I'm 15 right now and 16 in November) please as I cannot seem to find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

At your age I probably wouldn't pay for a gym. Is there any school sports teams you'd fancy joining?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would joining a gym do any good or are they as useless as vibration plates? If you think I should, give me some examples in north Dublin around Dublin 13 of junior gyms (I'm 15 right now and 16 in November) please as I cannot seem to find any.

Whats your diet like? What would you eat in an average day?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Whats your diet like? What would you eat in an average day?

Some days I eat a ham roll (daily for lunch if in school). Then I eat chicken in a wrap (not a roll) or once or twice a week sausage rolls instead. For breakfast I have me self an apple and a bit of toast (very little). I have to have brown bread (for my bowels). Some days for dinner I eat potatoes or peas as a side-appetizer :pac:. I also eat grapes for lunch in school. Evenings I don't eat anything (except drink water) unless it's a treat like chinese (which is of course only once a week). Water I drink throughout and no other drink. During some lunches, I also have the tendency to eat Blueberries (random days...). According to everybody including my dietician, it's my lack of exercise that gets my mass (not weight...) up. My big issue for school are trousers as my legs are HUGE! My belly is not that big but me legs man are way too big especially for my age. I have 19-20 years old trousers all because of my FAT legs. I can't seem to get any skinnier (except in my belly...) even if I do a good bit of exercise such as walking round Father Collins' Park track for once a day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some days I eat a ham roll (daily for lunch if in school). Then I eat chicken in a wrap (not a roll) or once or twice a week sausage rolls instead. For breakfast I have me self an apple and a bit of toast (very little). I have to have brown bread (for my bowels). Some days for dinner I eat potatoes or peas as a side-appetizer :pac:. I also eat grapes for lunch in school. Evenings I don't eat anything (except drink water) unless it's a treat like chinese (which is of course only once a week). Water I drink throughout and no other drink. During some lunches, I also have the tendency to eat Blueberries (random days...)

Are you trying to lose weight? Do you have anything other than peas and potatoes for dinner or is dinner extra?

Are you trying to lose weight? Do you have anything other than peas and potatoes for dinner or is dinner extra?

I updated my post there for the weight / mass part ^. Chicken in a wrap! I can never go a day without chicken :D (it's my favourite).

I updated my post there for the weight / mass part ^. Chicken in a wrap! I can never go a day without chicken :D (it's my favourite).

I'd be sacking your dietician. Your diet is diabolically bad.

What height and weight are you?

I'd be sacking your dietician. Your diet is diabolically bad.

What height and weight are you?

Weight around 91kg and height around 166cm at this stage abouts.

At your age I probably wouldn't pay for a gym. Is there any school sports teams you'd fancy joining?

Yeah I originally tried out for GAA. They don't think I should come to them. In primary, I was very good at GAA and since then I suck at it. Soccer I'm so crap at anyways but I have fun playing it. Basketball I hate very much. Another exercise I do though is go to a Swimming club in Trinity here in Donaghmede because I adore Swimming!!! If I could go Swimming every day, I would! On holidays in Lanzarote back in 2014, I remember me losing a good few pounds and over 10kg in a week because I kept walking and swimming non-stop.

Yeah I originally tried out for GAA. They don't think I should come to them. In primary, I was very good at GAA and since then I suck at it. Soccer I'm so crap at anyways but I have fun playing it. Basketball I hate very much. Another exercise I do though is go to a Swimming club in Trinity here in Donaghmede because I adore Swimming!!! If I could go Swimming every day, I would! On holidays in Lanzarote back in 2014, I remember me losing a good few pounds and over 10kg in a week because I kept walking and swimming non-stop.

I'd say you need to seriously looking at your diet.

It reads as follows:

Breakfast: Bread with a few blueberries.
    Lunch: Bread with some ham
    Dinner: Bread with (possibly breaded) chicken, potatoes and peas. (Or bread in the form of sausage rolls)

You have very little fruit and veg, which would give you the fibre you claim you need from brown bread, very little protein, and your diet is primarily carbohydrates.

Given your height and weight that's a BMI of about 33 which is in the obese range.

It's a combination of diet and exercise that will help you tbh

I'd say you need to seriously looking at your diet.

It reads as follows:

Breakfast: Bread with a few blueberries.
    Lunch: Bread with some ham
    Dinner: Bread with (possibly breaded) chicken, potatoes and peas. (Or bread in the form of sausage rolls)

You have very little fruit and veg, which would give you the fibre you claim you need from brown bread, very little protein, and your diet is primarily carbohydrates.

Given your height and weight that's a BMI of about 33 which is in the obese range.

It's a combination of diet and exercise that will help you tbh

You missed out grapes - which unfortunately are one of the badder fruits - ain't I right there?

You missed out grapes - which unfortunately are one of the badder fruits - ain't I right there?

Wow a few grapes as well. Bravo.

Wow a few grapes as well. Bravo.

Does it make anything worse that I'm on medication?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They're not "bad" - just loads of sugar ( 0.4 gram per grape sorta thing )

Bananas would have say about 14grams but loads more of the good stuff ( including radiation ! )

Eat less/better, move more basically

gctest50 wrote: »
    They're not "bad" - just loads of sugar ( 0.4 gram per grape sorta thing )

Bananas would have say about 14grams but loads more of the good stuff ( including radiation ! )

Eat less/better, move more basically

To add to fruits and vegetables I like or can eat (i.e. edible to my taste buds):

Fruits:
    Red apples
    Blueberries (I can eat but not mad about)
    Green grapes
    Strawberries (I can eat but not mad about)

Vegetables:
    Potatoes
    Cucumber
    Lettuce (I find very boring though)
    Peas

Fruits & veg I will never touch again include Oranges, Bananas and ESPECIALLY Broccoli! (Broccoli made me sick...)

Does it make anything worse that I'm on medication?

NOt unless a side effect is significant weight gain tbh
    To add to fruits and vegetables I like or can eat (i.e. edible to my taste buds):

Fruits:
    Red apples
    Blueberries (I can eat but not mad about)
    Green grapes
    Strawberries (I can eat but not mad about)

Vegetables:
    Potatoes
    Cucumber
    Lettuce (I find very boring though)
    Peas

Fruits & veg I will never touch again include Oranges, Bananas and ESPECIALLY Broccoli! (Broccoli made me sick...)

You're talking about taste here, not what you can and cannot eat. You need to adjust your palate, stop eating food which is primarily muck, and change your diet to include more protein, less fat, more fruit and vegatables etc.

NOt unless a side effect is significant weight gain tbh

You're talking about taste here, not what you can and cannot eat. You need to adjust your palate, stop eating food which is primarily muck, and change your diet to include more protein, less fat, more fruit and vegatables etc.

Well research showed that significant weight gain was one of the side effects for my medication :(. Yeah I know I'm talking 'bout taste here - like what I can't eat is what my taste buds can't handle and what I can eat is what my taste buds can handle (taste... :confused:). My weight does fluctuate a lot (not much recently). See these results:

Mar 9th 2015 - 94kg
    Mar 16th 2015 - 91kg
    Mar 30th 2015 - 85kg???
    Apr 20th 2015 - 87kg
    May 4th 2015 - 92kg
    May 11th 2015 - 91kg
    June 15th 2015 - 84kg

^ This is very confusing.....

Well research showed that significant weight gain was one of the side effects for my medication :(. Yeah I know I'm talking 'bout taste here - like what I can't eat is what my taste buds can't handle and what I can eat is what my taste buds can handle (taste... :confused:). My weight does fluctuate a lot (not much recently). See these results:

Mar 9th 2015 - 94kg
    Mar 16th 2015 - 91kg
    Mar 30th 2015 - 85kg???
    Apr 20th 2015 - 87kg
    May 4th 2015 - 92kg
    May 11th 2015 - 91kg
    June 15th 2015 - 84kg

^ This is very confusing.....

Water retention?

Yes.

Ok thanks. Well this is something I would of never expected.

"cortisol, which your body produces in response to stress" (from the article). I do get very stressed easily.

Ok thanks. Well this is something I would of never expected.

You could start educating yourself. Read the stickies at the top of the Nutrition forum to understand how many calories you need each day, how to achieve a defiicit and how to track how many calories you eat currently, so you can then plan how you can eat better.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

• Advertisement
Advertisement