Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This forum is non-functional

Options
  • 24-02-2016 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

This forum is clearly not functioning. It is simply a playground for bully boys with a well-known agenda, who come here in numbers to get their jollies by playing games with any poor old Christians who might be unwise enough to be about. Looking at the forum Charter, this should not be allowed. But it is rampant, to the the point where serious discussion is drowned out in repetitious, inane comments and questions.

The charter (rules) of the Christianity forum

"1. ... Christians should not have to defend their faith from overt or subtle attack."

Clearly not so. This got forgotten somewhere along the way?

"3. Bigotry, crude generalisations and unreasonable antagonism will not be tolerated. This rule encompasses all intolerance towards creeds, beliefs, lifestyles or opinions that differ from one's own."

Half the posts are generalizations, intolerant, or antagonistic - towards Christianity.

"5. Arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." will not be tolerated. Don't start off with a conclusion which your audience is bound to disagree with!"

Half the "contributions" can be reduced to variations on "Christianity is stupid, therefore...."

"6. Do not post anything intended to inflame or insult."

That is clearly the intent of many posters. Just read their signatures and comments, and ask yourself, why are they even here in this forum if they believe that? There is only one credible answer - they are here to inflame and insult.

"7. .... soap boxing, i.e. constant repetition of a single viewpoint while refusing to entertain discussion on it, is both disruptive and annoying, and will not be tolerated. You are expected to contribute something other than placard proclamations."

Another ignored rule.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

And why should Christian talking points get softer treatment than atheist talking points? Is faith not up to being challenged? If my faith couldn't stand up to scrutiny, I might as well not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

Speedwell wrote: »
    And why should Christian talking points get softer treatment than atheist talking points? Is faith not up to being challenged? If my faith couldn't stand up to scrutiny, I might as well not have it.

Because this forum isn't really about Christianity at this point, is it? It has been crowded out.

Well, I suppose we will just have to "wait on the Lord" to make things right in His time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Good evening!

I think it's unfair to blame atheists for the nature of this forum. If we want the discussion on the forum to have a positive tone we need to set that. If we want to discuss the Gospel of our Lord Jesus let's do that.

I'm enthused about that. However for that to happen denominational sniping needs to end. We can have robust discussion about the Reformation without resorting to shallow and ignorant presumptions. We can have robust debate about atheism without the discussion becoming inflamed.

I believe Christians have a real obligation to show the love that Christ has to atheists. We can disagree but it shouldn't become nasty and rude. Irrespective of what you believe Christians do set the tone here. We can choose to see people as Jesus does or we can't.

I'm hopeful and enthused to live for Jesus both offline and online. Will you join me? That means we've got to follow Jesus in everything rather than just abortion or gay marriage. It means we need to pray before posting and to ask Jesus to become more like Him daily.

Are you in?

Much thanks in Christ Jesus,
    solodeogloria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

This forum is gone beyond a joke. Other users have tried to improve it using the correct methods but to no avail. There is little point using the correct channels to try fix it because those who have the ability to fix it, for whatever reasons, won't.

@solod... lol! You're 'new' to Boards. You'll see how things play out soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Atheist here. I cannot speak for others, but I exclusively post in response to specific claims made by posters here (Christian or otherwise). I don't start discussions at all, least of all ones which proactively attack anyone's faith. I post here only to refute any claims made (ostensibly) in line with Christian faith which do not square with science, logic or a casual observation of the world. So, mostly limited to threads with a fundamentalist angle.

It certainly appears to me that this sort of engagement has increased here over the years, but I think that may be reflective of how Irish society is developing. Atheism is on the rise, but fundamentalists are also more vocal, and so these sorts of conversations are tending to dominate.

I don't think I've seen anything I would class as bullying, or crowding out... perhaps some examples would help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

This forum is clearly not functioning. It is simply a playground for bully boys with a well-known agenda, who come here in numbers to get their jollies by playing games with any poor old Christians who might be unwise enough to be about. Looking at the forum Charter, this should not be allowed. But it is rampant, to the the point where serious discussion is drowned out in repetitious, inane comments and questions.

"1. ... Christians should not have to defend their faith from overt or subtle attack."

"3. Bigotry, crude generalisations and unreasonable antagonism will not be tolerated. This rule encompasses all intolerance towards creeds, beliefs, lifestyles or opinions that differ from one's own."

Half the posts are generalizations, intolerant, or antagonistic - towards Christianity.

"5. Arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." will not be tolerated. Don't start off with a conclusion which your audience is bound to disagree with!"

Half the "contributions" can be reduced to variations on "Christianity is stupid, therefore...."

That is clearly the intent of many posters. Just read their signatures and comments, and ask yourself, why are they even here in this forum if they believe that? There is only one credible answer - they are here to inflame and insult.

"7. .... soap boxing, i.e. constant repetition of a single viewpoint while refusing to entertain discussion on it, is both disruptive and annoying, and will not be tolerated. You are expected to contribute something other than placard proclamations."

Another ignored rule.

Forgive us.

Atheist here. I cannot speak for others, but I exclusively post in response to specific claims made by posters here (Christian or otherwise). I don't start discussions at all, least of all ones which proactively attack anyone's faith. I post here only to refute any claims made (ostensibly) in line with Christian faith which do not square with science, logic or a casual observation of the world. So, mostly limited to threads with a fundamentalist angle.

I don't think I've seen anything I would class as bullying, or crowding out... perhaps some examples would help?

To answer the last point first. Why don't you take it as an exercise for the student to to simply take a look around.

More to the point, I take issue with your premise that it is appropriate to overrun this forum with posts with non-religious whatifery about this and that scientific point. Repetitiously seeking to confront religion and science in this manner is not only a false starting point, but one that is clearly contrary to the forum Charter. Discussions of cosmology etc. should be pursued in a science forum, not here.

Whosthis wrote: »
    Forgive us.

Not until you have performed appropriate penance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

To answer the last point first. Why don't you take it as an exercise for the student to to simply take a look around.

More to the point, I take issue with your premise that it is appropriate to overrun this forum with posts with non-religious whatifery about this and that scientific point. Repetitiously seeking to confront religion and science in this manner is not only a false starting point, but one that is clearly contrary to the forum Charter. Discussions of cosmology etc. should be pursued in a science forum, not here.

Point of order...

Whataboutery. Not whatifery. If you're going to be all defensive, you might as well be accurate.

;)

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Point of order...

Whataboutery. Not whatifery. If you're going to be all defensive, you might as well be accurate.

;)

You don't get to choose what I say.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

It certainly appears to me that this sort of engagement has increased here over the years, but I think that may be reflective of how Irish society is developing. Atheism is on the rise, but fundamentalists are also more vocal, and so these sorts of conversations are tending to dominate.

All the moderate Christians have been crowded out, it's been slowly happening probably since the forum was set up, but I think it reached the point of no return within the last couple of years. It's not welcoming to new moderates, and there seemed to be an exodus of the ones that were here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You don't get to choose what I say.

If I did, you wouldn't keep in being wrong, and would have had no reason to open this ranty auld thread.

:)

Good morning!

The Christians set the tone on this forum. Once a day at least I'm going to post a thought on a Bible passage. Let's discuss our faith together by looking at God's Word. Let's discuss what we believe instead of getting obsessed with hobbyhorse issues like abortion and gay marriage. Let's change the dynamic.

solodeogloria

endacl wrote: »
    If I did, you wouldn't keep in being wrong, and would have had no reason to open this ranty auld thread.

:)

You are demonstrably wrong in your objection. It also very obvious that that is not an exceptional situation.

Good morning!

The Christians set the tone on this forum. Once a day at least I'm going to post a thought on a Bible passage. Let's discuss our faith together by looking at God's Word. Let's discuss what we believe instead of getting obsessed with hobbyhorse issues like abortion and gay marriage. Let's change the dynamic.

solodeogloria

Well, I believe abortion and "gay marriage" (sic) are the spawn of the devil. Intrinsically evil. But lets just forget about that and have a nice cup of tai chi and sing kumbaya?

Well, I believe abortion and "gay marriage" (sic) are the spawn of the devil. Intrinsically evil. But lets just forget about that and have a nice cup of tai chi and sing kumbaya?

Good morning!

Do you believe Christianity is solely concerned with gay marriage and abortion? Or do you think God is interested in confirming is into the likeness of Christ daily until He returns?

Following Jesus completely isn't "kumbaya". It's bloody difficult.

Will you join me?

solodeogloria

Good morning!

Do you believe Christianity is solely concerned with gay marriage and abortion? Or do you think God is interested in confirming is into the likeness of Christ daily until He returns?

Will you join me?

solodeogloria

I see you are already adapting nicely to the environment in this forum, and busy trying to erect straw men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

All the moderate Christians have been crowded out, it's been slowly happening probably since the forum was set up, but I think it reached the point of no return within the last couple of years. It's not welcoming to new moderates, and there seemed to be an exodus of the ones that were here.

Could it be that the moderates leave because they find the fundamentalists embarrassing? It's generally the fundamentalists that A&A regulars end up arguing with (some exceptions like Absolam) and generally on topics that affect everyone abortion/education/ideas that are presented as fact in schools (creation)/LGBT rights etc. How many atheists do you see in the prayer/pilgrimage/church treads? Those threads are not really relevant to atheists, they are the personal business of Christians. However when religious doctrine affects our health, rights and what our children are taught in school, it becomes very much our business. If religious rules in Irish society were kept as a matter of personal choice, instead of being allowed to influence civil law and services, secularists and atheists would not have anything to be challenging Christians on.

I don't care if Christians think that God made the world in 7 days, but when state schools are teaching this as fact to my child, we have a problem! It is none of my business if Christians choose to carry their pregnancies to term, regardless of any negative outcomes to themselves, but nor is it their business if I choose not to. Until we have a secular society where the Christian religion does not impact on our rights, atheists, secularists and minority religions will be challenging and opposing Christian influence. Not happy with that? Start advocating for a secular society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Atheist here, and I have a lot of sympathy with your OP.

But you kind of lost it with this post.

Well, I believe abortion and "gay marriage" are the spawn of the devil (sic). Intrinsically evil (sic). But lets just forget about that and have a nice cup of tai chi and sing kumbaya?

As soon as you start telling people how to live their lives you're putting yourself up there. FYP btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Good morning!

solodeogloria
    Good morning!

Will you join me?

solodeogloria
    I see you are already adapting nicely to the environment in this forum, and busy trying to erect straw men.

And we are to blame for putting off moderate Christians? :D

I was under the impression that it was correct to call intolerance, hatred, murder, and rape "spawn of the Devil", not healthcare and marriage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hang on a minute here, there's no "gay marriage" with inverted commas and there's no (sic) either. What there is is civil marriage between two individuals regardless of gender which has been legal in this country since last year. Fair enough if you don't like it, but it's a legal and real thing in this country so stop trying to pretend it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

Another ignored rule.

Forgive them. They know not what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

So we're playing a game where you make a claim and I have to go prove it?

Not interested.
    More to the point, I take issue with your premise that it is appropriate to overrun this forum with posts with non-religious whatifery about this and that scientific point.

That's not my premise. If it were my premise, I still didn't say it was acceptable.
    Repetitiously seeking to confront religion and science in this manner is not only a false starting point, but one that is clearly contrary to the forum Charter.

In the post to which you are replying, I stated very clearly that I only respond to such points when raised by Christian posters. I do not initiate.
    Discussions of cosmology etc. should be pursued in a science forum, not here.

Take it up with your fundamentalist friends. They're the ones posting threads attacking, denying or subverting science to fit their position. I post in response only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was going to post here but the thread degraded into the usual insults and accusations....so I gave up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I was going to post here but the thread degraded into the usual insults and accusations....so I gave up!

Pity. Did you have a really good point?

Thank you all for so quickly and comprehensively demonstrating the truth of the assertions I made in my original post! Very decent and accommodating of you all.

That there is no attempt to conceal the organized, group nature of these "contributions" points to another item that should be added to the charge sheet.

These contributions amount to nothing but a macho, testosterone fueled, look at me, the he-atheist, smiting the Christians, blood sport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

These contributions amount to nothing but a macho, testosterone fueled, look at me, the he-atheist, smiting the Christians, blood sport.

You do realise that some of the non Christians posting are female?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thank you all for so quickly and comprehensively demonstrating the truth of the assertions I made in my original post! Very decent and accommodating of you all.

That there is no attempt to conceal the organized, group nature of these "contributions" points to another item that should be added to the charge sheet.

Can the wimmins not do this too? #confused

Advertisement