Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lacrosse Balls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Hockey ball or sliotar from your local sports shop would do the job. Or a dog's ball from a pet shop. Much cheaper and just as effective as the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Better off getting a straight up lacrosse ball, tbh. €4.50 in D8Fitness.

Like jive said, you can use sliotar or dog's ball as well. I tried those and the main reason I use the lacross ball over them is because it tends not to slide under me as much on the wooden floor nd it's no more expensive. But that's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

I received a pair of Yoga Tune up Balls for kris kindle a few years back. Absolutely love them and bring them everywhere. Pricey enough but they are good. Great grip on them, right amount of bounce in them so not to bruise you like a hard ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I'd be more inclined to take the cheap approach to start, might give the sliotar a go. There's a dog in the house so no dog balls please, enough have met their maker!! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lacrosse ball over all others mentioned.

They have a little bit more give (marginal) but the big benefit is the rubberized surface means it doesn't slip and slide like a smooth shiny ball like a sliotar / hockey ball / baseball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Better off getting a straight up lacrosse ball, tbh. €4.50 in D8Fitness.

Like jive said, you can use sliotar or dog's ball as well. I tried those and the main reason I use the lacross ball over them is because it tends not to slide under me as much on the wooden floor nd it's no more expensive. But that's it really.

found the same re; slippage. bought a dog's ball from the local pet shop, it's hard rubber and it's the dogs bollox so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I got a lacrosse ball from sports direct, its good but it delivers such localised pressure that I find it better to go with the dreaded rumble roller (although I cry when I need it).
    rumble-rollers-main.jpg

I got a lacrosse ball from sports direct, its good but it delivers such localised pressure

That's exactly why it's needed. There are certain areas that the roller just won't be able to do much for you.

Have two types of rollers already, a ball is what I'm looking for with the niggly spots.

That's exactly why it's needed. There are certain areas that the roller just won't be able to do much for you.

Oh I understand what it's for alright, but personally I get more relief from the large roller.

I don't get niggles, I get entire large sections of pain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oh I understand what it's for alright, but personally I get more relief from the large roller.

I don't get niggles, I get entire large sections of pain :)
    The ball is suppose to provide for localised pressure. It's about hitting precise spots.

It's possible that the large sections of pain are caused by precise issues up or down the chain.

Mellor wrote: »
    The ball is suppose to provide for localised pressure. It's about hitting precise spots.

It's possible that the large sections of pain are caused by precise issues up or down the chain.

Yeah I know what it's for, I just can't get much relief from the ball myself, I'd be hours trying to roll it around everywhere I need, only the roller really hits the spot properly for me.

I've tried spiky balls, tennis balls, normal foam rollers, lacrosse balls, hockey balls, peanuts, some kind of weird massage roller I picked up at an airport that has a flat bottom but a rock hard roller ball in it, and any other type you can think of but relief was only mine when I started rumbling. Consistency is the key now. For me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Yeah I know what it's for, I just can't get much relief from the ball myself, I'd be hours trying to roll it around everywhere I need, only the roller really hits the spot properly for me.

I've tried spiky balls, tennis balls, normal foam rollers, lacrosse balls, hockey balls, peanuts, some kind of weird massage roller I picked up at an airport that has a flat bottom but a rock hard roller ball in it, and any other type you can think of but relief was only mine when I started rumbling. Consistency is the key now. For me anyway.

Have you tried pvc pipe? I love me some pvc pipe. Have a foam roller but it's too soft for me and foam rollers are expensive compared to pvc pipe which I got for free.

I use a hockey training ball aswell and it's great.

Have you tried pvc pipe? I love me some pvc pipe. Have a foam roller but it's too soft for me and foam rollers are expensive compared to pvc pipe which I got for free.

I use a hockey training ball aswell and it's great.

Ive not tried pvc pipe! I certainly will! Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Ive not tried pvc pipe! I certainly will! Thanks for the tip!
    Ive picked up hard rubber balls in pet shops also as they have them for dogs there.

typically quite inexpensive

You love a birra wavin, wha'!

The issue with a PVC pipe is slippage. On wooden floors anyway.

But a good foam roller is essentially the equivalent of PVC pipe with a thinnish layer of foam on it anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I don't like PVC. Too hard and too slippy.

You don't need to kick the **** outta yourself to get max benefit from the roller. Any moderately hard one is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Get 3 lacrosse balls from d8fitness and make a 'peanut' with 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You love a birra wavin, wha'!

The issue with a PVC pipe is slippage. On wooden floors anyway.

But a good foam roller is essentially the equivalent of PVC pipe with a thinnish layer of foam on it anyway.

Ah, I roll on carpet flooring so I've no issue there.

Picked up lacrosse/ massage balls today in Elverys. €12 for 3 seems pretty reasonable. I'll give an update once I've used them a few times.

• Advertisement

These are the balls I picked up yesterday in Elverys:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitness-Mad-Trigger-Point-Massage-Ball/dp/B00BJJZN94/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1456425279&sr=8-10&keywords=lacrosse+ball+massage

They seem to do the trick, the softest ball isn't much good other than rolling the soles of your feet. Grey ball is spot on for getting those tricky spots and holding up so far. Really can't go wrong with 3 balls for €12.

Advertisement