Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming - How do lanes work?

Options
  • 22-02-2016 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, feel free to move as I couldn't find a better one.

I've been taking swimming lessons so any time I've been in the pool, it's been reserved for group lessons.

I was hoping to go to a public swim slot on tonight's timetable which is laned. How does this work or what's the etiquette for a beginner like me? I'm not very good yet (hence wanting to practice) so don't want to get in other people's way if there's a specific setup that is commonly followed.

Sorry if it's a stupid question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,413 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, feel free to move as I couldn't find a better one.

I've been taking swimming lessons so any time I've been in the pool, it's been reserved for group lessons.

I was hoping to go to a public swim slot on tonight's timetable which is laned. How does this work or what's the etiquette for a beginner like me? I'm not very good yet (hence wanting to practice) so don't want to get in other people's way if there's a specific setup that is commonly followed.

Sorry if it's a stupid question!

The lanes should be marked, if the whole pool is in lanes the fast lanes are in the middle and the slow on the outside. Each lane swims the opposite directions (clockwise v anti clockwise) this means you'll be swimming beside the person in the lane beside you as it reduces currents. Up side beside the rope and down the other
    If there is someone close behind you , pull in to the bar at the end if the pool and let them pass. If it happens a lot you need to move to a slower lane, if you are in the slow lane then they need to move up a lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Ted has given a very good summary above. I would just advise that you try swim in the appropriate lane for your speed (if the lanes are marked as fast/medium/slow), and above all be aware of your surroundings, and other swimmers. As Ted says, if you can see/feel that another swim is catching you up, then let them pass at the next wall, and be careful about doing 'wide' strokes (breaststroke/butterfly), when others are doing freestyle or backcrawl - we've all received an accidental kick from a breaststroker!

There's a good link with a summary here. That blog is really good in general, and there are several helpful posts about 'lane etiquette' in addition to that one.

Enjoy the swimming! :)

Advertisement