Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 4g 100m away options?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Success finally!!! Ended up using the 3rd nano I have as an AP for the house. I largely set it up as the same way as the AP nano on the b593, except I put it on a different subnet IP (as per the video I linked in the last post). Steady 6 to 8 m/s download during the day, doesn't seem to be dropping off much now which is when I'd expect the network to be most busy. Thats 3g only also, I've got 15m/s or more with 4g, so might have to look at mounting the 593 outside up higher etc. I'll see how I get on for afew days, then I'm going to have an incredibly sweet phonecall to eircom telling them to shove their 0.2m/s "broadband" up their arse ha.

Thread title is misleading tho ha, I swapped over to a three AYCE prepay sim, 20e for that against vodafones offering was alot more appealing, I will however test other carriers to see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

good going timmay, did you check the speed between nanos , tools - speedtest

nagel wrote: »
    good going timmay, did you check the speed between nanos , tools - speedtest

Did a proper acid test also, ran a normal online speedtest from both nano APs within afew minutes of eachother, 5.5m/s at the house, and 13 back at the b593. Is it normal for the speed to be halved with nanostations, or are the trees effecting it?

how far apart are the nanos
    what is your airmax quality and airmax capacity from the main menu
    from the main menu again does the distance there match the actual distance

from the wireless tab what what have you channel width set to

from the tools menu you can do a frequency scan to see which is the best range to select

when I was setting mine up I had a tp-link router that was swamping the nanos

nagel wrote: »
    how far apart are the nanos
    what is your airmax quality and airmax capacity from the main menu
    from the main menu again does the distance there match the actual distance

from the wireless tab what what have you channel width set to

from the tools menu you can do a frequency scan to see which is the best range to select

when I was setting mine up I had a tp-link router that was swamping the nanos

Nanos are about 3/400m apart, with two rows of tree cover between, but afew gaps. I can definitely get a clear line of sight from the shed that I want to put the IP camera, on to my pumphouse with the 1st nano. The question then is will my 3rd nano be good enough to broadcast an AP across my whole house? Also I assume I will need a router of some sort in bridge mode to link the nano2 and 3, and the IP camera together? I put in a diagram with how I think I'll wire everything, on the right is how I'll wire up in the shed.

I've got Airmax turned off, channel width is for nano1 and 2 is 20mhz (allowed me to access nano 1 from my phone, not really needed 2bh), nano 3 obviously needs to be left at 20mhz. I'll go mess around with them once I get a chance though.

MBB.png

• Advertisement

like you i'm between 3-400 mtrs between nanos just done a speed test between nanos

rx 60Mbs
    tx 48

I have airmax on and channel width set to 40
    have you done a speedtest between the b593 nano and the shed nano
    I would do one with everything except the nanos off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@Timmaay and anybody else that is using Nanostations, you would want to consider updating the firmware, as some have been attacked by a Worm.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3073514/security/worm-infects-unpatched-ubiquiti-wireless-devices.html
    The worm creates a backdoor administrator account on vulnerable devices and then uses them to scan for and infect other devices on the same and other networks.

"This is an HTTP/HTTPS exploit that doesn't require authentication," Ubiquiti said in an advisory. "Simply having a radio on outdated firmware and having its http/https interface exposed to the Internet is enough to get infected."

The company has observed attacks against airMAX M Series devices, but AirMAX AC, airOS 802.11G, ToughSwitch, airGateway and airFiber devices running outdated firmware are also affected.
    The Nanos are airMAX M Series devices, and since a worm needs no interaction, they could be exposed.

Advertisement