Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

45 year old woman needs work out advice!

Options
  • 21-02-2016 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi...I am having a hard time trying to figure out the best work out for me.

I have 3 mornings a week available to go to the gym. My window of opportunity is from 6:45am until 7:30am. So I need something with a good 30 - 35 minute workout plus the 2 x 5 minute warm up/cool down.

I have 20kgs to lose to be at my ideal weight. My BMI is 32%. My diet I have managed over the last 2 months and am now on a good path with healthy eating. I am drinking my 2L a day of water. I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke. I have 2 small children under the age of 8 years. And I work full time - sit down job most of the day.

I have tried the treadmill because I thought I would begin running. However, I have discovered I have what I think are shin splints. I get to a certain speed when walking or about 2 minutes into running I get a sharp pain in the sides of my calves and sometimes at the front. So I have tried the elliptical but I find this quite boring.

I have asked the trainers at the gym I belong to but I noticed that the program they want to be put me on, is the same program that most of the women get put on no matter the size or age. I want to lose body fat and tone up.

First of all, what can I do about shin splints?

Second of all, recommendations to use the stationary bike? Or perhaps the rowing machine?

Advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I suffered terrible shin splints once and non-impact work and rest is the only answer (and orthotics in my case). To lose body fat and tone up you probably need to be lifting weights. "Toning up" is a phrase a lot females use as a goal without realising that toning up is putting on muscle. Lifting weights will also be friendlier on your shins. You can finish off with a high intensity workout on the rowing machine. Go 30 seconds as hard as you can followed by 30 seconds rest.

It doesn't sound like you have a lot of confidence in your gym but ask them to teach you the basic lifts if you haven't done it before.

I'm not sure how that would fit in to your 30 minute window but there are some great professionals on here that know what they are talking about so they can correct me and inform you a bit better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

LGK616 wrote: »
    Hi...I am having a hard time trying to figure out the best work out for me.

I have 3 mornings a week available to go to the gym. My window of opportunity is from 6:45am until 7:30am. So I need something with a good 30 - 35 minute workout plus the 2 x 5 minute warm up/cool down.

I have 20kgs to lose to be at my ideal weight. My BMI is 32%. My diet I have managed over the last 2 months and am now on a good path with healthy eating. I am drinking my 2L a day of water. I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke. I have 2 small children under the age of 8 years. And I work full time - sit down job most of the day.

I have tried the treadmill because I thought I would begin running. However, I have discovered I have what I think are shin splints. I get to a certain speed when walking or about 2 minutes into running I get a sharp pain in the sides of my calves and sometimes at the front. So I have tried the elliptical but I find this quite boring.

I have asked the trainers at the gym I belong to but I noticed that the program they want to be put me on, is the same program that most of the women get put on no matter the size or age. I want to lose body fat and tone up.

First of all, what can I do about shin splints?

Second of all, recommendations to use the stationary bike? Or perhaps the rowing machine?

Advice is greatly appreciated!!!
    do all this

warm up like this

then do a single round of the exercises mentioned in the article above, do 1min on the bike, rower or crosstrainer (don't use the treadmill until you have no shin pain which should be cleared up with the mobility work), repeat 5-6 times which should take 20-25mins, as you get stronger and fitter youll get through it quicker but initially take as much rest as you need.

after 4-6 weeks of this just start varying up the movements and move on to a more progressive program.

All of the above will and can serve 90% of the people that just want to get started or back on a training program and have no major injuries to report

Advertisement