Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physio and suffering though

Options
  • 20-02-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Thsi might be in the wrong place but im a runner (a baby runner still on 5km but looking at Dingle half in September)
    I had an accident last September where i slipped in a shopping centre and tore my Medial colateral ligament and did some other damage to my knee. Its my IT band and knee are the main issues.
    so after a couple of MRI's and alot of physio the tear is getting better, im back running (soft surfaces only grass and threadmill)
    The question i have is, im at the stage where the GP is saying he is going to refer me to a surgeon to fix cartilidge damage and the rest of the tear and the physio says it needs another month, im cool with that but honestly the physio is the most painful thing ive every experienced.

Ive never had physio before never had any health issues but would have thought i would have had a high enough threshold to pain.
    The pain of the dry needling is so bad I passed out one time and vommited a couple of times from it not so much anymore i seem to be getnig used to it but i am still crying and stuffering though im brusied all over my knee and thigh and am jsut at the stage where i feel I should jsut go for the surgery.

Just looking for some advice i guess my quesiton is has anyone else been though this or I am just a total wuss?

I dont think i am but honestly the physio is saying take a couple of nurofen and power though but i dont think i can, i have physio again next week and i know ill be doing dry needling again and would perfer to not go and just ask to be refered by my GP for surgery.

Sorry for the long post just trying to figure it out.

Thanks
    Driving home after it is agony as i have to extend my leg to change gears etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

You know what? Go see the surgeon. I'm coming from a perspective where I have being going to physio for years and my back is still sore and I've been in pain during and after. My doctor made me go see a sports surgeon this week and he was shocked to see the state of my back and now next week I have to start intensive resistance training which apparently is going to cause me a feck load of more pain but he has told me I have to do it because otherwise I will need surgery. He is the only person in 10 years who has actually spotted and acknowledged that I have a problem. I have been trucking all this pain around for years because I thought and physio and gps though because it was muscular there wasn't much to be done. And you can't be going around in so much pain :(

Anyway he has great time for physios but he also maintains you also need to see proper medical attention because physio would not often see the whole issue.

So go. And if you are near Cork am more than happy to recommend this guy to you for your doctor to refer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Woah there.

This is totally advice you should get from professionals like Doctors.

Forum charter even says so:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054962524
    No Questions about Treatment of Injuries/ Requesting Medical Advice
    As a whole boards.ie does not allow medical discussion and Fitness will be no different. Do not post threads about injuries or when you think you might be injured looking for advice. If you are injured go to a qualified medical professional for help, not the internet. Injuries can be incredibly difficult to diagnose, even when the person you are seeking help from is in the same room as you.

The only time we will allow the discussion of any injuries and how to overcome them is when the OP CLEARLY states in their first post that they have been to a professional, received advice and treatment and are looking for help with a rehab/prehab exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Oh FFs slydice the only reply was mine telling op to go to consultant. Can someone not have a rant about the pain they are going through without some eejit on the Internet decide to play mod? The poor person is in pain. They are venting because they are in pain not just asking for medical advice.

Woah my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

If you are near Dingle I would take to Eddie O'Grady about your physiotherapy and then go talk to Shane in WK Fitness (Dingle) about managing your training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Thanks guys yeah like is aid its not so much advise on the treatment, i totally trust my GP and physio, its more the fact i feel like a total wuss from physio coz of the pain.

FYI slydice if you read my post you would see i have been to see my GP and he is keeping tabs on it, re referring me to a surgeon. my physio is doing what he can but obviously because i want to do the marathon i am delaying this as surgery would leave me out of action for too long.

Thanks all, i might get referred just to see cant beat a third or fourth opinion.

if anyone has had dry needling on their knees id love to know what they thought of it.

right now id rather give birth than have it again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Go see the consultant, he is the expert. Let him decide if you need more physio.

I had knee physio for 2 years and then a second opinion with a consultant who was shocked and said that no amount of physio would have resolved it. He operated 6 weeks later and I had immediate relief.

Having had a number of orthopediac issues over the years I now have a 6 week threshold whereby if there is no tangible improvement I move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have had a lot of knee issues over the last few years (torn cartilage a couple of times, tendinitis and hamstring fibres tearing away from the bone). If you don't see improvements after a couple of sessions (and doing all the exercises the physio gives you), then I think it's time to see the consultant. Just bare in mind that you will more than likely still need a few physio sessions after any surgery you might have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Never had dry needling but it comes up on here often and it's mutually agreed that it's at the top end of the scale with regards pain I wouldn't feel bad about crying/getting sick.

It depends how much you trust your physio on their word and if they're any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Caliden wrote: »
    Never had dry needling but it comes up on here often and it's mutually agreed that it's at the top end of the scale with regards pain I wouldn't feel bad about crying/getting sick.

It depends how much you trust your physio on their word and if they're any good.

Thanks for all the help guys, and thanks Caliden, i wont feel as bad the next time ive needling done.

i do trust my physio but will defo get the referral just to be on the safe side thanks everyone!

going to dose myself up for my next physio appointment!

Advertisement