Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Ascend Mate 8 Thread

Options
  • 20-02-2016 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been watching reviews over the past month or so and have decided to purchase this beast. It has the fastest processor at this very moment, has nearly 2 days battery life, 4GB RAM, 64GB with microSD card slot and is running marshmallow. The screen resolution is a little bit of a disappointment being only 1080p, but after watching reviews it looks beautiful and crisp.

Cannot wait for it to arrive.

Will add reports once it gets here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I just ordered it as well last week, hoping it arrives sometime this week. Make sure you get the NXT-L29 model as this is the international version. You can get the Chinese version NXT-AL10 and flash the international L29 ROM but I didn't want the hassle and it's not clear if you will get OTA updates in future? I ordered from wondamobile. It can be gotten cheaper on eglobalcentral but it's not clear what the model is, I emailed them to ask but never go a response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

I just ordered it as well last week, hoping it arrives sometime this week. Make sure you get the NXT-L29 model as this is the international version. You can get the Chinese version NXT-AL10 and flash the international L29 ROM but I didn't want the hassle and it's not clear if you will get OTA updates in future? I ordered from

Yeah, they have two models listed, the al10 Chinese version and the international version with no mention of the l29 version. I have my fingers crossed.

I've been an android head for a while so if the worst comes to the worst and it is the al10, I will flash it :) Will let you know once it arrives.

. It can be gotten cheaper on eglobalcentral but it's not clear what the model is, I emailed them to ask but never go a response?

Nice one! I ordered it from eglobal. I've used them several times and have been perfect as long as you don't mind the 7-10 day wait.

Mine should arrive by Friday, will have the DPD tracking details in the morning.

Let us know once yours arrives, any review, info or pics etc would be much appreciated. ;)

DPD confirmed delivery for Monday. Updates will have to wait until next week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Oh wow this looks awesome, was looking at LG G5 but this seems really cool.

€580 or so for international 64GB too.

Mourinho wrote:
    Oh wow this looks awesome, was looking at LG G5 but this seems really cool.

Yep I know, can't wait to get my hands on it. The battery and processor made the purchase so much easier! 😀
    Mourinho wrote:
    €580 or so for international 64GB too.

I've already purchased the 128GB card to go with it. Will post some pics and let you know how it runs when it gets here. 10 days delivery is a tough wait for a man child!

• Advertisement

Hoping mine arrives tomorrow. My tracking only goes as far as the UK so all I know is it's cleared customs and was picked up by Royal Mail on Tuesday evening. I've seen unboxing videos where they come with a case but not sure if the retail version comes with one too? I ordered the 3/32GB space grey so hoping it does

Hoping mine arrives tomorrow. My tracking only goes as far as the UK so all I know is it's cleared customs and was picked up by Royal Mail on Tuesday evening. I've seen unboxing videos where they come with a case but not sure if the retail version comes with one too? I ordered the 3/32GB space grey so hoping it does

Nice one! Yes, it looks like that version comes with a clear case for the back. I think mine comes with an S-view style case. I hope they're included too

Well it finally arrived, think I would of gone mad if I had to wait all weekend. Don't think I'm going to get much done today.

First impressions are very good. Screen is amazing. Size is great for me with my big hands. Performance seems unreal, it installed nearly 100 apps VERY fast in about 10 mins. I remember when I set up my LG G4 it took nearly 45 minutes to install everything. I like the software although first thing I did was install Nova launcher but everything else seems grand so far.

EDIT: After a few hours playing around with it I'll mention a few things. Firstly I had read that notifications are a bit flakey but I seem to have them working now. For each app I want to get notifications from while screen is off I did this:
    1 - Go to apps/advanced/ignore battery optimizations -> yes
    2 - Go to advanced settings/battery manager/protected apps -> yes
    3 - Go to notification panel&status bar/notification manager and then set allow notifications, priority display and the notification methods -> yes to all

I even had to do this for stuff like pushbullet and lightflow to get them working. Regarding lightflow it doesn't seem to like a lot of the colours so you'll have to play around with it to find out which ones work.

Very happy with the pre-applied screen protector and supplied case, won't need to be buying any others now.

The fingerprint reader is amazing, incredibly reliable, works even when your finger is sweaty.

Camera seems pretty good so far. Will give it the real test later on my 2 year old toddler running around the place, most phone cameras I've used result in blurry messes when taking pictures of moving objects so will probably be the same with this?

The build really reminds me of the Note 4 I used to have, I think it's the chamfered edges and size that does it.

I'll update more if I think of anything

Well it finally arrived, think I would of gone mad if I had to wait all weekend. Don't think I'm going to get much done today.

First impressions are very good. Screen is amazing. Size is great for me with my big hands. Performance seems unreal, it installed nearly 100 apps VERY fast in about 10 mins. I remember when I set up my LG G4 it took nearly 45 minutes to install everything. I like the software although first thing I did was install Nova launcher but everything else seems grand so far.

EDIT: After a few hours playing around with it I'll mention a few things. Firstly I had read that notifications are a bit flakey but I seem to have them working now. For each app I want to get notifications from while screen is off I did this:
    3 - Go to notification panel&status bar/notification manager and then set allow notifications, priority display and the notification methods -> yes to all

I even had to do this for stuff like pushbullet and lightflow to get them working. Regarding lightflow it doesn't seem to like a lot of the colours so you'll have to play around with it to find out which ones work.

Very happy with the pre-applied screen protector and supplied case, won't need to be buying any others now.

The fingerprint reader is amazing, incredibly reliable, works even when your finger is sweaty.

Camera seems pretty good so far. Will give it the real test later on my 2 year old toddler running around the place, most phone cameras I've used result in blurry messes when taking pictures of moving objects so will probably be the same with this?

The build really reminds me of the Note 4 I used to have, I think it's the chamfered edges and size that does it.

Fantastic! Thanks so much for the quick review, pics and tips. So glad you've confirmed all of my assumptions. It's a beast! With all the customization and Android 6.0, I'd say you've got a busy weekend ahead!

Cheers, and hopefully mine will be here on Monday!

Awesome man thanks!

If you can throw up a few picture sample when you have them say indoors shots EG sitting room with the light on so we can see how the low light is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear what the audio quality is like. I have a note 5 and the audio through my sennheisers is superb. The thing that kills me is the lack of expandable storage on my Note 5.

I will let you know.. Love Sennheisers, have a set of HD650s and a pair of IE8s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Looks class, best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Very interested in hearing how people get on with the camera, which took some flak in post release reviews. I was hoping to read somewhere that an update had sorted it.

I hope the cam will have improvements with updates..

Looks like you can get this guy to order the phone for you for the small fee of 100euro :D

http://www.adverts.ie/other-mobiles/huawei-ascend-mate-8/9863595

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

simdan wrote: »
    I hope the cam will have improvements with updates..

Looks like you can get this guy to order the phone for you for the small fee of 100euro :D

http://www.adverts.ie/other-mobiles/huawei-ascend-mate-8/9863595

That's pretty big of him, swell guy.

corwill wrote: »
    Very interested in hearing how people get on with the camera, which took some flak in post release reviews. I was hoping to read somewhere that an update had sorted it.

I've now taken a good few pictures in various light conditions and I think I would sum it up as competent. It's not bad but it's not amazing like my old LG G4. It is good enough for me anyway but I could see why a more demanding photographer might be disappointed. I've noticed that shooting video at 60fps is very dark for some reason, if I switch back to 30fps it is fine again. I don't know if this is an issue with the phone or a limitation of shooting at 60fps? It basically means 60fps is only worth using in good lighting conditions.

Thanks lad. I had the LG G4 myself which I am comparing to haha, bit of a difference alright! Dunno whether to get this or wait for the LG it won't be out til April I think, long time when I want to change right away :(

Battery is unreal. Unplugged on Friday at lunchtime and just plugged it now nearly 48 hours later with nearly 6 hours screen on time

Battery is unreal. Unplugged on Friday at lunchtime and just plugged it now nearly 48 hours later with nearly 6 hours screen on time

Awesome! So glad it's performing as the reviews say!

My DPD tracking is now saying Tuesday for the delivery.. Pulling my hair out at this stage :)

• Advertisement

Getting more excited over this than the G5... So what are Eglobal like if the phone gets issues in a years time? That's my only problem, WA a looking for it on Amazon but the prices are way higher obviously.

Mourinho wrote:
    Getting more excited over this than the G5... So what are Eglobal like if the phone gets issues in a years time? That's my only problem, WA a looking for it on Amazon but the prices are way higher obviously.

I've used them a number of times. Great service and prices with no worry of duties. That's about it though, your warranty is with the manufacturer. I had a problem with an LG g flex 2. They accepted the imei and replaced the charging port free of charge. :)

Am really struggling with the 8 working day wait though lol

Thanks :) Surely Huawei have a European replace centre? UK would be even better

Mourinho wrote:
    Thanks Surely Huawei have a European replace centre? UK would be even better

They have multiple authorised service centres :) 2 in Dublin

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/service-center/index.htm?countryid=2709&cityid=2711&curpage=1

simdan wrote: »

Ah class courier with parcel motel would cost feck all for a repair that has a lot of worry gone for me can seriously consider buying :)

Mourinho wrote:
    Ah class courier with parcel motel would cost feck all for a repair that has a lot of worry gone for me can seriously consider buying

Yeah, if you do make a purchase, pay with PayPal so you're covered ;-)

With most phone manufacturers they will only repair a phone under warranty in the region it is from. So if you buy from eglobalcentral you will be getting a Hong Kong region model. This could be different with Huawei but I wouldn't be so sure. You could contact them and ask but I would be very clear with your question when you do.

I had a screen problem before with a Nokia Lumia 1520 I bought from a Hong Kong based seller. I contacted Nokia first and asked whether I could have my phone repaired under warranty in Ireland even though it was purchased in Hong Kong. They said yes so I brought it along to the authorised repair center, got it back 3 days later saying not covered in this region under warranty. I rang Nokia and went apesh*t at them, some idiot in the call center had given me wrong info, spoke to a supervisor and he apologised profusely but still didn't sort me out.

I think at the end of the day if your phone fails due to a genuine hardware problem then it will be worth the 20/30euro it costs to post it back to Hong Kong, you'll be without a phone for a few weeks though.

Hmm dunno so might just wait to see if Amazon stock it or at least cover it under Prime

Hmmm, maybe that's a Nokia rule. I haven't had any warranty issues with Asian LGs or Samsung units, but I suppose it's worth checking if you want to make sure.

PS. Most of the phones on Amazon are actually from Asia, make sure to check prior to purchasing..

• Advertisement

Yeah its hard to know some do and some don't... I must try and find the proper Huawei division to contact and see.

Advertisement