Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sprained calf muscle

Options
  • 20-02-2016 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Felt and heard a snap in my calf muscle followed by terrible pain yesterday evening. Can't get to a physio/until Monday. Is there any point going to hospital a&e for this ie would they refer me to hospital physio for treatment for free, or should I just wait until Monday and go to private physio? I've no swelling but pain walking and standing on tiptoes. I can put my weight on ground no problem with foot and hobble about. Not looking for medical advice, more wondering if this is kind of thing you go to a&e for and if could avail of free physio!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

seefin wrote: »
    Felt and heard a snap in my calf muscle followed by terrible pain yesterday evening. Can't get to a physio/until Monday. Is there any point going to hospital a&e for this ie would they refer me to hospital physio for treatment for free, or should I just wait until Monday and go to private physio? I've no swelling but pain walking and standing on tiptoes. I can put my weight on ground no problem with foot and hobble about. Not looking for medical advice, more wondering if this is kind of thing you go to a&e for and if could avail of free physio!

It wouldn't really be free physio cos if you walk into A&E you'll be charged €100.

Rest it and ice it and if it doesn't hurt, do some light stretching of it (just pulling your toes back a little to start with)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

It would be €100 max though as opposed to 100s if go privately to a physio? Had two broken arms after Xmas and physio at hospital was pretty good and seen quickly enough so that's why thought might be best bet to go the a&e route. Any stretching hurts a fair bit so it's more than a mild sprain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

After all that,rang hospital and 5 week waiting list so private route on Monday....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I have had calf issues before and found 2 or 3 sessions and time/recovery helped clear it up.

Also A&E is not really the place for a calf strain imo, and possibly one of the reasons why we have so many people on trollies.

Advertisement