Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some men commit rape?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why ARE you denying rape culture (which you clearly don't even understand the meaning of)

When even RAINN are telling you that "rape culture" isn't doing anything to address rape, then I'll take the word of the professionals over tumblr wacktivists any day of the week:

The reason I had never paid much attention to the "rape culture" meme is because even though I'd heard of it before, it was just such a ridiculous concept that I figured there wasn't much need to entertain it. RAINN, who are the largest anti-sexual violence organisation in America, made a submission to the White House Task Force To Protect Students from Sexual Assault, in which they make it quite clear -

In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campuses. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important to not lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime.

While that may seem an obvious point, it has tended to get lost in recent debates. This has led to an inclination to focus on particular segments of the student population (e.g., athletes), particular aspects of campus culture (e.g., the Greek system), or traits that are common in many millions of law-abiding Americans (e.g., “masculinity”), rather than on the subpopulation at fault: those who choose to commit rape. This trend has the paradoxical effect of making it harder to stop sexual violence, since it removes the focus from the individual at fault, and seemingly mitigates personal responsibility for his or her own actions.

Maybe you missed that post on your steamrolling expedition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Alternatively, instead of insisting that the truth is out there if you say that rape culture exists, prove it.

People say that there is a drink culture in Ireland. It's not unusual for large sections of the Irish population to binge-drink regularly, so if you want to say that there is a drink culture, I have little doubt but that there are figures which will support the assertion.

Well, alcohol related harm is quite easy to measure due fights, public order incidents, trips to A&E, etc. There have been Prime Time specials about our relationship with drink since I was a teenager and talk of links to sports sponsorship and so on. Obviously cases of rape are measurable too and some of the long term effects. However, "rape culture" a la Jessica Valenti is still too caught up in narrative to link it (imo) to the criminal intent and actions of rapists.

The Journal - In Ireland, a man can actually confess to rape and still serve no time in prison

The article by Mia Doering ‘I’ve been groped, felt up, and harassed. Rape culture exists and we need men to step up’ is dismissed as "hearsay" and "what aboutery". She's not lying or exaggerating. Visit tLL and read about their experiences with sexual harassment. Ask your sisters or girlfriends if they've ever felt threatened, frightened or been groped or flashed or harassed on the street. Mia's solution to talk about rape culture is scorned and shut down.

This Mia Doering who wrote:
    It’s time for all men to get a little bit uncomfortable.

And we wonder why people go, 21st century feminism - wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

This just came up in my notifications. I was admitted to the psych hospital at the time. Only just discharged a few days ago.

I was sexually abused by a relative (a priest) throughout my childhood. As a result I have Complex PTSD. As distinct from regular PTSD, there is a difference! Obviously the more recent incident didn't help.

It wasn't my fault. I see that now. I would urge anyone in my position not to do what I did. To seek and get help. I wish I had at the time.

It's really great to hear you've been able to get help with what happened Lady, I wish you all the best with your recovery.

Highlighting rape is an axe to grind? Really??

In the manner you've been doing it, it could certainly be perceived that you personally have an axe to grind yes.
    It's based on a real case. It's also put together from interviews, stats, research, meeting with rape victims, personal experience. She gets contacted once a week by girls with similar stories. An identical case to the book is in trial atm, a bunch of south Dublin boys gang raped a drunk 16 in her home after a houseparty.

I would hope that she tells the girls who contact her to go straight to the police because if they don't how can a case be brought forward?
    As for "evidence", as you read it is very difficult to prosecute a rapist and many cases go unreported. As far as discussing rape culture and rape you need to talk to victims.

While discussing rape requires talking to victims I disagree that rape culture discussion has anything to bring to the table given the baggage associated with it.
    You say you've been subject to all of the harassment mentioned, yet deny rape culture exists?

Because the two are not synonymous. Each example you've mentioned are considered a wrong-doing. It's not considered OK to grope, flash, threaten or harass someone.
    Do you bring your drink to the toilet for fear of being spiked?

No, but I wouldn't leave an unattended drink either. If I'm out, leave my drink at the table and there's nobody to watch it I replace it when I get back. Like I said, my brother had his drink spiked so I take the simply precaution of not drinking a drink I haven't been in sole possession of the entire time.
    Do you take note of a taxi number before you get in and text it to your friends in case of attack?

No, but if you're worried that's actually a good idea.
    Do you avoid going for a jog in the park at night for fear of sexual attack?

No, just a regular one.
    Do you get labeled "lesbian/ tease/ up yourself/ whore/ frigid/ an ugly bitch anyways" if you reject uninvited advances?

No the very few times it's happened I got called male-oriented insults or that "I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway".
    Gone along with it because you were too scared to say no?

No, but that's a crime and anyone who experiences it should go straight to the police afterwards.
    Been taken advantage of drunk?

No, again, that's a crime and should be reported.
    Do you walk with keys between your knuckles at night as self defence?

No, but that's more to do with thankfully I'm a 6 foot tall, sturdily built guy with some martial arts training to fall back on. Actually I'd really recommend people take some self-defence classes if they're worried about their personal safety. It doesn't guarantee nothing will happen, or even that you'll win if something happens (God forbid) but it does give you another tool to try to ensure you own safety and a better frame of mind.
    Do you text your friends when you get home to let them know you're safe?

Not regularly no, but again if you feel this is a good idea I don't see what's wrong with it.

Now internalising all that fear of sexual assault is not a good thing and if you are that worried about what could happen you on a night out, it might be worth talking to someone? I'm not saying that taking precautions as regards your personal safety is a bad thing in any way, but you seem to have a lot of fear attached to it which could benefit from discussion with someone who can help you frame it better emotionally.
    Have you been cat called, stared at by older men, followed, and had your body commented on since you were 13/14 years old? Most of the above happened/ happens me regularly and to every girl I know.

No, but that doesn't make it right and if you're made to feel uncomfortable by the comments of others you should let them know. Perhaps they'll stop, perhaps they won't but at least you've let them know it's not OK to you.
    Why does rape happen? Maybe because half of society denies that rape culture exists and it snowballs from there? I often wish we were just listened to.

What "half of society" and "we" are you referring to there Catari?

Rape happens because of rapists. Individuals for whom consent is either mistaken or irrelevant. Dealing with the former is a case of education to ensure prevention where possible, dealing with the latter unfortunately is generally solely judicial.

IMO, looking over to the US, "Rape Culture" creates/contributes to the perpetual victim complex certain aspects of society want to maintain for ideological reasons that is hugely damaging psychologically/emotionally to people of both genders.
    It's amazing to see a man be against rape culture, or simply listen to you and believe you. Most women say nothing because desensitized since a young age are used to it.

Why? Rape culture is a theory, rape is an act. One can be very easily against the theory while absolutely abhorring the act. Pursuing the ideology that those who disregard/argue against rape culture support or apologise for the act rape (which I'm seeing become more common) is not only disingenuous but dangerous IMHO.
    Do you think women need to avoid being raped?

They must be terrible at it if rape still happens.

Avoiding rape is a myth. Yet women are constantly told to avoid rape.

Nobody but the rapist is responsible for a rape, however I genuinely don't understand how advising people on maintaining their own personal safety (for both men and women) during a night out is somehow spun back into victim blaming. If someone is raped they're obviously not responsible but mitigating the potential avenues is not IMO a bad idea at all.
    The fact that you can be blasé about it shows that rape is no threat to you, not a blip on your radar. That's privilege. Of course you'll deny rape culture exists, after all it doesn't affect you. It's why so many here absolutely dont give a ****.

And finally the P-word comes out. I'm denying rape culture exists because as I've already said repeatedly, rape (and sex crimes in general) are viewed as an awful crimes. They're not excused or lauded at a societal level, there is no cultural acceptance of it.
    Few posts back there's an ill informed comment about rapists don't lurk on street corners here therefore there's no rape culture. So despite all the asking for proof and thinking you have all the answers you don't seem to know what rape is. 7/10 rape victims know their rapists.

Again the theory and the act are not synonymous.
    As well as CREATING RAPE CULTURE by teaching girls to beware strangers and protect themselves from rape by what they wear/ how much they drink/ where they walk/ what message they send out etc. which is victim blamey, it also sends a dangerous message (from childhood) that rapists are strangers. It implies sexual assault/ molestation by family members, exes, partners, teachers, friends, coaches etc. ISN'T rape. It's the "legitimate rape" myth.

If that's the message currently given (and frankly it's not the message I've seen) then that's an educational failing whereby the absolutely core element of consent is being missed/ignored. I remember being told to be careful of strangers when I was a child, I suppose this came from the erroneous belief that family/familiars were less likely to do it but as we know now that's wrong and isn't pushed.
    Why ARE you denying rape culture (which you clearly don't even understand the meaning of) I posted my own personal experiences with harassment and precautions. Any thoughts on that? Should I not take precautions? Will it make a difference if I do or don't? Would you blame me less or more?

One of the things I absolutely hate about this argument is the constant implication that people arguing against rape culture are simply uneducated/ignorant rather than just disagreeing with the notion. That if I'd simply drink the Kool-Aid I'd suddenly understand/become enlightened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Catari, how about this - you put forward some thoughts/proposals on stopping and reducing rape - what do you think can be done here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Controversial question here... don't bite my head off... but is rape a black and white issue? Are there grey areas? I'm thinking of the Sheffield Utd footballer when I ask this, who's name escapes me; as apparently he is appealing his rape conviction having maintained innocence throughout his trial and subsequent incarceration. If successful, is he still a rapist?

Edit: Ched Evans is the name

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Catari, how about this - you put forward some thoughts/proposals on stopping and reducing rape - what do you think can be done here?

I am guessing the answer will be to teach men and boys not to rape and that men need to stop any joke/phrase/game/advert that can be perceived as "rape culture" ie anything and everything.

College rape culture is very real.

Let's take this as a given. To draw a comparison, we do have a "domestic violence culture" too? Or, is it just some men are terrible human beings and make individual choices to beat/abuse their partners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

armaghlad wrote: »
    Controversial question here... don't bite my head off... but is rape a black and white issue? Are there grey areas? I'm thinking of the Sheffield Utd footballer when I ask this, who's name escapes me; as apparently he is appealing his rape conviction having maintained innocence throughout his trial and subsequent incarceration. If successful, is he still a rapist?

Pretty sure he has successfully appealed his conviction and a retrial has been ordered.

That isn't a great example really since the details are shrouded in mystery. The investigators report for this case is available to the public so it is a better example.

http://www.businessinsider.com/occidental-sexual-assault-2014-9?IR=T

(I think this is the right link I read about it a few years ago)

I asked tritium what should I do to avoid being raped, and I was told by CJ that I was privileged because I would never be affected by it.

That said it all for me tbh. Of course that won't be seen by CJ as her own fine contribution to "rape culture".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

psinno wrote: »
    Pretty sure he has successfully appealed his conviction and a retrial has been ordered.

That isn't a great example really since the details are shrouded in mystery. The investigators report for this case is available to the public so it is a better example.

http://www.businessinsider.com/occidental-sexual-assault-2014-9?IR=T

(I think this is the right link I read about it a few years ago)
    The case in that link is mind-boggling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Let's take this as a given. To draw a comparison, we do have a "domestic violence culture" too? Or, is it just some men are terrible human beings and make individual choices to beat/abuse their partners?

The problem with abstract theories like that is that its tailor made to encompass everything bar the kitchen sink. Although maybe the kitchen sink fits in there too as a symbol of patriarchal oppression.
    you put forward some thoughts/proposals on stopping and reducing rape - what do you think can be done here?

AFAIK the measures include consent classes for lads and for all non rapist males everywhere to police any manifestation of 'rape culture' whenever and wherever it arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Of course what they don't think about is how to stop people from labelling things they personally don't like as "rape culture"?

Who decides on whether or not something gets classed as "contributing to rape culture" and how is that policed?

For example, Mary goes to the beach and sees a lot of the young ladies strutting around in bikinis while the lads all stop and stare. This makes Mary feel uncomfortable and inadequate. "Women strutting about the beach in tiny bikinis are encouraging the male gaze, which contributes to rape culture".

So, in Marys view, any man who stares and any woman who courts those stares is contributing to Rape Culture. Its a serious allegation in a way.

So, who decides if Mary has a point of if she's just bitter and jealous? Tumblr? Twitter? Internet Trolls? Jessica Valenti?

A song comes out called "Blurred Lines". It's massively popular. When it gets played at the club all the hot girls and all the hot guys start dancing together. A lonely snowflake sits in the corner thinking "this contributes to Rape Culture, shut it down".

Who decides if it's a valid point?

There are fundamental points that we can all agree on.

Rape happens.
    Rape is a serious problem in our society.

When people talk about Rape Culture they are really looking for someone or something to blame. Even at that point it's a good thing to do, finding the root cause of the problem.

The problem is that they are so misguided. They are pointing at pop songs and television adverts and roaring "this perpetuates rape culture". Meanwhile truly bad people, who do not give a hoot about pop music or modern advertising techniques, are committing terrible crimes.

Even if you just look at consent. Maybe some guys do commit sexual assault or rape because they are not sufficiently educated, have an inappropriate sense of entitlement, or just completely lack empathy. Maybe they just don't understand "consent". It's a terrible situation, I think we can all agree.

How do you fix that though? By banning pop songs? By removing busty ladies from video games? By outlawing Pick Up Artists?

I suppose there is an argument you could make that all of the bad things that blight a society are in fact bred and perpetuated by that society. So you could argue that society itself is the problem. Who raises the rapists?

What's the solution though? Burn it all down? Cut out the bad parts? How do you decide what gets to stay in and what has to go.

If you want to propose that something "contributes to Rape Culture" then surely you have to demonstrate this?

Am I saying or thinking anything unreasonable here?

To get back to the disease analogy. If I proposed that Apples are the cause of Disease A then I would be expected to prove it. If I suggested that eating raw onions is the cure for Disease B then I would be expected to prove it.

So why does someone saying "rape jokes and online trolls and adverts objectifying a womans body are part of Rape Culture" expect to just get a free pass?

orubiru wrote: »
    So why does someone saying "rape jokes and online trolls and adverts objectifying a womans body are part of Rape Culture" expect to just get a free pass?

Because advocates of this nonsense are banking on appealing to people's revulsion of the act of rape, and anyone who doesn't buy into the idea of "rape culture" must then see rape as acceptable, which means they're contributing to this "rape culture". It's an effort to sanitise society, which gives some people their purpose in life. It does nothing to address the causes nor the consequences of rape, but it grabs people's attention all the same, and it makes those people who think they know what it is, feel superior to those who haven't a fcuking clue what they're on about.

The term is actually so vague that rather than identifying a systemic issue, the idea itself is a systematic failure. The idea gives it's proponents another excuse to claim they are being oppressed when they are asked to explain what the idea means to them, and what purpose does it serve. It actually demonstrably has the opposite effect of it's purported intended aim, but that doesn't appear to bother it's proponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Seeing as Catari Jaguar quoted me or should I say misquoted me and everyone in that post this morning.

I'd add something to the convo.

Before you ventured onto this forum and told us we couldn't have issues because we are men.

You posted this on the 'I need feminism' thread in the ladies lounge

*SNIP*

You say your not anti-men. Why did you come onto a thread dedicated to mens issues and tell us we shouldn't have any. Tells us we are whiners and the thread was created to point score.

Even the site you reference is top notch drivel.

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/12/reasons-people-believe-feminism-hates-men/

I mean look at the 30 examples of Male Privilege

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/11/30-examples-of-male-privilege/

Here is a few

2.You can be careless with your money and not have people blame it on your sex -
    11. Go on a date with a stranger without the fear of being raped
    12. Dress how you want and not worry it will be used as a defense if you are raped
    20. You can seek political office without fear of your relationship with your children, or who you hire to take care of them, being scrutinized by the press
    23. You can ask for the “person in charge” and will likely be greeted by a member of your sex
    28. You are not pressured by peers and society to be thin as much as the opposite sex
    31. You can go to a car dealership or mechanic and assume you’ll get a fair deal and not be taken advantage of

Seriously. Is this guy for real.

You have also said you think Louise O'Neill is a good journalist, but considering her behaviour and media output with UCD ag case and her hilariously defiant response when there was no case to answer. I mean she even 'ironically' on her twitter account calls herself a misandrist.

The thing is If i was in UCD AG...I would say she is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

WinnyThePoo, NO quoted user posts from another forum on Boards. It's against the charter and no more of that from anyone please. Make your point without dragging previous posts from other forums into things. Link deleted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Sorry Wibbs. Didn't know. Now I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

armaghlad wrote: »

The crime of rape is well defined, so that is not a grey area. The law on rape is not a grey area.

There may be a conflict on the evidence given by the parties, however. The accused may claim that sex was consensual. It could be that all of the facts may not be clear, during a rape trial.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The crime of rape is well defined, so that is not a grey area. The law on rape is not a grey area.

There may be a conflict on the evidence given by the parties, however. The accused may claim that sex was consensual. It could be that all of the facts may not be clear, during a rape trial.
    That's one of the near unique problems with this dealing with this bloody awful crime. It usually has only two witnesses and one is the accuser and one the accused.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's one of the near unique problems with this dealing with this bloody awful crime. It usually has only two witnesses and one is the accuser and one the accused.

Very true, not to mention its one of the very few crimes where two people involved may hold a very different view of events that would differ dramatically in legal interpretation . The "guilty mind" element of the offence in environments where consent may not necessarily be expected to be a formal step inevitably provides a huge scope for grey areas, albeit one that is oerhaos required in a fair legal system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Human beings are genetically driven to seek sexual interaction. Some men rape for sex, some for power, some hate women and all disrespect women.
    We live in an ever increasing sexualized world. Sex is omni present. Look at any women's magazine cover and invariably the word sex will appear. Look at any men's magazine and you will see scantily clad women.
    I think porn helps some men to dehumanise a woman. To see her only in a sexual light. Women themselves can dress to pull a man i.e. dress in a sexual provocative fashion. Does that excuse or justify rape absolutely not.
    In a lot of rape cases particularly rape indoors alcohol plays a large part. The woman gets drunk to such an extent that her guard is down. She may find herself drawn in to an encounter that goes beyond what she wanted. She may be attacked because she is vulnerable due to alcohol.
    In a rape situation the man is wrong . The best a woman can do is to minimise their chance of being in a vulnerable situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

holyhead wrote: »
    In a lot of rape cases particularly rape indoors alcohol plays a large part. The woman gets drunk to such an extent that her guard is down. She may find herself drawn in to an encounter that goes beyond what she wanted. She may be attacked because she is vulnerable due to alcohol.

In a rape situation the man is wrong . The best a woman can do is to minimise their chance of being in a vulnerable situation.

It's interesting that you should say the above; because you seem to attach significance to rape as being the product of alcohol consumption. Most rapes are not carried out at US frat parties by drunken male students, but by people well known to the victim, such as a relative, friend, spouse, or family member. This US-campus feminism narrative (which if you'll pardon me is where I assume that you are taking this narrative from) really needs to have its bubble popped because it does a disservice to society.

The second things to note is your statement that in rape the man is wrong. I would ask what happens when it's the woman carrying out the rape, but as I'm sure you know, a woman cannot be legally prosecuted for raping a man in Ireland or the UK. I would go so far as to say that the law does not recognise the crime. Even a woman that has sex with a minor (which has happened fairly frequently here with female teachers in England if the newspapers are anything to go by) are treated with exceptional leniency, and not as the sexual predators of children that they are, even when repeat offenders.

Edit: with regards ZeitgiestGlee's fair point in post #415, I'll just add that I'm not trying to wail on you or anything HolyHead, it's more just the choice of phrasing that I find curious. Perhaps not intentional on your part, but nonetheless it makes one ponder perceptions.

holyhead wrote: »
    I think porn helps men to dehumanise a woman.

I disagree with this tbh, while there are genres of porn for which degradation is the intent (for both genders), it's always struck me as similar to the "violent videogames cause violence": an easy soundbite argument lacking in actual supportive research/documentation.

Given that the majority of adults consume pornography and the vast majority do so without becoming sexual predators I think it's a non-argument for a root-cause, but perhaps there are those who are triggered by it.

Lemming wrote: »
    The second things to note is your statement that in rape the man is wrong. I would ask what happens when it's the woman carrying out the rape, but as I'm sure you know, a woman cannot be legally prosecuted for raping a man in Ireland or the UK. I would go so far as to say that the law does not recognise the crime. Even a woman that has sex with a minor (which has happened fairly frequently here with female teachers in England if the newspapers are anything to go by) are treated with exceptional leniency, and not as the sexual predators of children that they are, even when repeat offenders.

Not to veer into whataboutery but given it's Holyhead's first post in the thread I imagine they're attempting to answer the OP's question about why some men commit rape rather than some people.

Not to veer into whataboutery but given it's Holyhead's first post in the thread I imagine they're attempting to answer the OP's question about why some men commit rape rather than some people.

Fair and rather valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

The second things to note is your statement that in rape the man is wrong. I would ask what happens when it's the woman carrying out the rape, but as I'm sure you know, a woman cannot be legally prosecuted for raping a man in Ireland or the UK.

There was a case recently of a woman who committed a sex crime against another woman and she got convicted. She tricked her victim by pretending that she was a man. Blind folded her during act to mask her true sexuality.

There was a case recently of a woman who committed a sex crime against another woman and she got convicted. She tricked her victim by pretending that she was a man. Blind folded her during act to mask her true sexuality.

Yes I recall; an extrordinarily bizarre case, but not even remotely comparible to what I mentioned. I seem fuzzy on the matter, but was the woman in question convicted of rape, or a lesser charge?

Fair and rather valid point.

Don't get my wrong Lemming, I don't disagree with anything you said regarding how female sexual predators are whitewashed generally by society. It's especially worrisome given how many of their victims are boys under their care as a trusted authority figure, but the potential psychological impact is brushed off as "Sure they wanted it anyway" (imagine the furore if the genders were reversed and that statement was used). With that said it's probably a topic for another thread.

I remember that, wasn't a big part of the conviction the fact that there was a non-consensual penetrative aspect which brought the legal definition of rape into play rather than sexual assault?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The term is actually so vague that rather than identifying a systemic issue, the idea itself is a systematic failure. The idea gives it's proponents another excuse to claim they are being oppressed when they are asked to explain what the idea means to them, and what purpose does it serve. It actually demonstrably has the opposite effect of it's purported intended aim, but that doesn't appear to bother it's proponents.

The ironic thing about this is, those supporting the idea of 'rape culture' are belittling actual rape. In order to make sure everyone can claim a slice of victimhood, trivial matters like clothing and woeful pop songs are now shoehorned in under the banner. That is demeaning to people who have been raped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

She was convicted of sexual assault not rape.

Women can be convicted of rape only when they act as an accomplice to a man (in English law).

Advertisement