Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on spouse visa for USA (I-130)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Heh. I'm informed because I'm a person with Aspergers and the associated anxiety, thoroughly sick and tired of being shut up alone in my apartment with three cats and a mostly work-from-home job. It got where I was having panic attacks at the grocery store. I got on VisaJourney and translated my worry posts into help posts for other people to keep myself busy. I was a wreck when it was over, but it was finally over. Ironically I came down with the flu the day before I met my husband at the airport; this silly sh*t is the sort of thing that happens to me, lol.

I wish you an anticlimactic and boring interview day and a rapid passport return :)

Wearyexplorer, you said your interview date was the middle of October so I'm thinking about you!

One thing to remember... just after the interview, your status on the USCIS website will say "administrative processing". This happens even if you are approved (because they are processing you!). Go out and have a walk for a bit, have a good dinner and a good sleep, and don't check it again for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭wearyexplorer

Thanks Speedwell! It's this Monday :)

Question - what is the dress code? I'm assuming smart casual (i.e. far from a tracksuit, far from a suit :) )

Also, what sort of stuff are they likely to ask? I'm happy with my documentation etc but see no mention of bringing stuff to prove relationship is legit and that sort of thing (but bringing it anyway!)

Speedwell wrote: »
    Heh. I'm informed because I'm a person with Aspergers and the associated anxiety, thoroughly sick and tired of being shut up alone in my apartment with three cats and a mostly work-from-home job. It got where I was having panic attacks at the grocery store. I got on VisaJourney and translated my worry posts into help posts for other people to keep myself busy. I was a wreck when it was over, but it was finally over. Ironically I came down with the flu the day before I met my husband at the airport; this silly sh*t is the sort of thing that happens to me, lol.

I wish you an anticlimactic and boring interview day and a rapid passport return :)

Sounds like a tough road, but thank you for all your hard work, it defniintely helped me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thanks Speedwell! It's this Monday :)

Question - what is the dress code? I'm assuming smart casual (i.e. far from a tracksuit, far from a suit :) )

They really don't care what you wear tbh, with the obvious proviso that you don't turn up wearing nothing but your underwear and a smile etc.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    They really don't care what you wear tbh, with the obvious proviso that you don't turn up wearing nothing but your underwear and a smile etc.

Thanks haha, I'll try to avoid that!

Anyone have any insight on what they will ask beyond verifying documents? I've looked it up but so much varying info. I mean, will they interview in-depth about our marriage? No problem there, I just don't want to forget anything (and yet it doesn't ask me to bring anything like that to prove beyond marriage cert etc). At the same time, I'm guessing the interview is like a kiosk deal, with multiple ones happening at once, sort of like a social welfare office in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yeah it is a kiosk deal, with glass between you and the interviewer.

Do bring proof of the marriage- joint bills, photos, hotel receipts, stuff like that. You probably won;t be asked for it, but better to have it and don't need it....

As to what they ask, they will probably ask a few things such as how you met, when you got negaged, who asked whom, where you will settle in the USA, why there, what do you plan to work as when you get there. Sprinkled in with "small talk" like that they will ask questions to verify what you wrote in the documents, such as how often you were married before, your spouses birthdate etc.

Interview done, told visa will be issued in about 10 working days. Phew! Thanks for the advice everyone :) relief!

Interview done, told visa will be issued in about 10 working days. Phew! Thanks for the advice everyone :) relief!

Oh, bless, I just saw your PM. I had a feeling you'd be all right.

Whoop whoop!! Congratulations!! Welcome to the US (after the usual week-long period of biting your fingernails down to your elbows). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Congratulations.......sounds like you'll get here just in time for election fallout.... :p

• Advertisement

Congratulations.......sounds like you'll get here just in time for election fallout.... :p

Yes and the fallout appears to grow by the hour!

I took a chance and booked a one way ticket week after next. Couldnt say no for 250 euro flight! (And technically i only risk 190 as can add baggage later). Fingers crossed!

Missed this, didnt think to look even. So if it changes it might mean it is issued?
    Speedwell wrote: »
    Wearyexplorer, you said your interview date was the middle of October so I'm thinking about you!

One thing to remember... just after the interview, your status on the USCIS website will say "administrative processing". This happens even if you are approved (because they are processing you!). Go out and have a walk for a bit, have a good dinner and a good sleep, and don't check it again for 24 hours.

Another tip on the 2x2 passport photos they ask for (you will need 3, 1 for medical, 2 for embassy). I originally went to Boots by Paul St in Cork, who charged 8 per photo (!). I foolishly bought 4 as was under pressure. Turns out they were 2.2 x2.2 inches as well as being outrageous. I found an independent chemist selling for 6.50 for 2. I complained and got my money back. Shop around and double check size of photos (irish passport photos are not same size).

Missed this, didnt think to look even. So if it changes it might mean it is issued?

Don't put too much stock in that thing anyway. I've seen people go completely through and enter the US with the visa in hand, and their status never moved from the initial state. I would be dead with anxiety if it happened to us.

As it was, I made a laughingstock of myself on Visa Journey going ape because I saw AP on the status for a couple of days. It means nothing but processing, whether they gave your passport to a temp to stick the visa in it, or whether they are going to ask for additional information (which odds are you would already know about because they would have given you a notice at the interview). Or it might never show AP at all. Just have a cuppa and let things happen naturally :)

Got alert that it is in hands of courier :) should be available to pickup in one or two days. Phew!

Awesome!! Have a great flight!! :D

Advertisement