Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some motivation / hope

Options
  • 17-02-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Am fairly unfit, not that much overweight maybe 10kg. anyways I have started to gym

currently I can only manage,
    warm up -5min walk/run
    some weights - find shoulder press impossible rest are fine
    and 15min on cross trainer + 4min light rowing.
    warm down 5min walk/run.

When does it get enjoyable/comfortable ? I see others working out like its a walk in the park, I hate having to psych myself up just to complete a fairly low end work out.

Also the weigh machines seem to freeze, jitter mid step as if someone suddenly removed all the weight - am i doing something wrong or are they just bad machines ?

any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Hey,

Don't get discouraged at the start. It takes time but like most things, you will find it becomes almost second nature after a while once you get used to the layout and machines in the gym. Is this your first time ever to a gym?

Regards the machines, imo they should not be doing what you have described. have you got your programme from one of the trainers? Maybe a session with one of the trainers in there would help or ask them for some advise, I am sure they would be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

First off , well done for getting the initial motivation to want to do something about it.

I think you'd benefit from asking in the gym if you could have a program made for you by one of the staff , that way they will spend some time with you showing you around the gym, explaining the machines and weights and some exercises to include on your program. You will then follow this program for a couple of weeks/Months and see how you get on.

Like most thing's in life , 'Doing the gym' for whatever reason is a results based business , only a personal one. It's hard work , and it's particularly daunting at the start but you will learn to enjoy it , you'll enjoy it when your a few weeks into it and start seeing results on the scales and in your body, remember your diet is the most important thing when it comes to losing weight so manage that first , read up on it and download myfittness pal start tracking what you eat and eating at a daily caloric deficet. Then get to it , don't take no for an answer , we all have days we don't feel like going but I find that once your in there that feeling goes away and it's down to business for the session. If you have a problem with the shoulder press or any other exercise , there is no I can't , only it's hard or I won't...lower the weight , correct your form and go again.

Don't worry about what other people are doing in the Gym , 99% of them know their program and are so used to doing it that they are flying through it, you'll get there as well.

I remember when I first started in the gym , I was absolutely clueless...I couldn't even lift a 5KG dumbell. I remember being so frustrated that I couldn't even lift that properly and I remember how in a heap I was the next morning...These days I'm adding 5KG or more every 1/2 weeks because my body and muscles are quickly adapting to the weights and not challenging me enough. Head up , stick with it you'll get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Where did you get your programme?

Also sounds like the machines are a bit iffy rather than you doing something wrong.

If it's not a low-end workout to you, it's not a low-end workout. Plenty of lads in the gym could lift me and the weights I'm lifting with ease :)

It might just take time. The biggest motivator is when you start seeing results. The best way to help yourself get results is get a programme off a decent trainer. Maybe ask a trainer at the gym about one to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Eat good whole foods from the below list, exercise regularly and it'll get easier. It always sucks, but it's a good kind of suck; you'll start feeling like a million bucks afterwards instead of feeling like death.

Protein: chicken, fish, red meat, beans (kidney beans, chickpeas and so on), eggs
    Fats: avocadoes, olive oil, coconut oil and milk, nuts, seeds, eggs
    Carbs: oats, rice, sweet potatoe, potatoe, pasta, couscous, fruit & veg

Limit your intake of carbs and don't inhale mountains of nuts or nut butters. Eat unlimited green veg, chicken, meat, etc.

Don't even psych yourself up before going to the gym, not every day has to be the absolute best. Just keep turning up, enjoy it. Eat well and you'll be ahead of 99% of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,
    Am fairly unfit, not that much overweight maybe 10kg. anyways I have started to gym

warm up -5min walk/run
    warm down 5min walk/run.

When does it get enjoyable/comfortable ? I see others working out like its a walk in the park, I hate having to psych myself up just to complete a fairly low end work out.

Also the weigh machines seem to freeze, jitter mid step as if someone suddenly removed all the weight - am i doing something wrong or are they just bad machines ?

any advice?

It's hard to tell when it becomes enjoyable, but wen you start seeing some results physically or you're becoming stronger, then you see the rewards. Also, you get into the habit of training and it never stops after that.

To be honest, I'd forget the weight machines and stick with free weights. I'd have a look at starting strength and do the big movements like squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, pullups etc. If I were you I'd forget the cross trainer and just stick to lifting, but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,

warm up -5min walk/run
    warm down 5min walk/run.

any advice?
    where are you based?

Advertisement