Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a golf course with nobody to play

Options
  • 17-02-2016 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

I am spoiled for choice in regards to golf courses near me. I am looking at joining Woodenbridge for 500 for the year. The problem I have is I know nobody at the course and won't have someone to go around with most times. It's making me a little hesitant to join. Should I be worried in regards to playing on my own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

This is where a timesheet is great. Just put your name down and you get to play with whoever else is there. At my club, I have a few buddies I usually play with but if they are unavailable at the weekend, I just put my name down and off I go with whoever. Great way to meet different people. After the round go for a cup of tea with them and before you know it, you'll have a whole new bunch of golf friends.

Just check if the club has operates a timesheet at the weekend before joining. I'd be very suspicious of one that doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I was in a similar position when I joined Moate in that I only knew one or two people. They played Sunday afternoons which just didn't suit me as I had small kids at the time. I started to put my name down on the timesheet early on a Sunday morning and one day I played with 3 lads I didn't know. After the round they asked if I wanted to join them again next week and I did. Although one of the 3 subsequently left to join Esker Hills a few years ago I am still playing with the other 2 some 14 years later.

Put your name down and go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Have to agree, the open timesheet is great, just book online (just checked and members online booking is available for woodenbridge). Most clubs these days the majority of members are welcoming to new people, after a few weeks you'll be grand. As said go grab a cup of tea or drink afterwards and you'll get talking to people and the bar staff etc, you won't be long finding the ropes. you'd be surprised too when you're there and see the time sheet, there will probably be names you recognise that you didn't know were members etc. There may even be some board members there!

Just did a search there and found this thread: One or two say they are members in woodenbridge.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96348496

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

A mate of mine was in the same boat to you a few years back. He moved to Avocca and joined Woodinbridge knowing nobody.

Very welcoming friendly club, he just put his name on the time sheet and got out playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

+1 to what moycullen14 mentioned above. I've been a member of 3 different clubs over the past 6 years and didn't know anyone at any club before joining and never had an issue so don't let that put you off. You'll get to know people in no time.

As mentioned an online timesheet if very useful mainly for facilitating you remember their names and you won't be long building up a list of names you have a preference for. Most golfers in my current club put down their own name at a time that suits and the tee times fill in around them so it's quite unusual to play with the same people each week which is refreshing.
    The second club I joined didn't have an online time sheet so it involved having to ring the club and advise what time you had a preference for. As a result you never knew who you'd be playing with and the whole process was a bit disorganised.

The only downside to not knowing individuals prior to joining is if the club run a lot of fourball or heaven forbit foursomes competitions. In such cases players generally have a regular partner they team up with for such events so it can be difficult to find a suitable person where you compliment one another. Thankfully fourball and foursome competitions are not all that frequent in most clubs.

Good luck in joining and make the most of the year ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭nemoisback66

Went through the same situation in January by joining a club and not knowing anyone. They have a timesheet which is great as I can pick a time that suits me and play with different members. Everyone has been really friendly and it has been enjoyable playing with different people at different golfing levels. I would say go for it, it's not as daunting as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Will be in a similar position in a couple of years but with two young kids golf is well off the agenda for now..

Great advice all the same re the timesheet

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Stand back I'll sort this chap out :)

I've sent you a PM Maynooth_rules.

If anyone needs information on Joining Woodenbridge send me a PM

I'm on Board of Management in charge of reviewing the applications of new members, I thought it would be the easiest job :)

Good deal for the year for under 35's at the moment.

And I'll play with anyone who wants a game (once weather picks up) at Woodenbridge....just let me know.

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nemesis wrote: »
    Stand back I'll sort this chap out :)

I've sent you a PM Maynooth_rules.

If anyone needs information on Joining Woodenbridge send me a PM

I'm on Board of Management in charge of reviewing the applications of new members, I thought it would be the easiest job :)

Good deal for the year for under 35's at the moment.

And I'll play with anyone who wants a game (once weather picks up) at Woodenbridge....just let me know.

Brian.

What's the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

Cant remember if wooden bridge is 9 hole or 18 but its a fantastic place to play gold (even on your own) At €500 I would give a damn who I was playing alongside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

dball wrote: »
    Cant remember if wooden bridge is 9 hole or 18 but its a fantastic place to play gold (even on your own) At €500 I would give a damn who I was playing alongside.
    It used to be a 9 hole but was redeveloped some years ago to 18 holes. €500 is the under 35s rate. Normal membership is €850 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It used to be a 9 hole but was redeveloped some years ago to 18 holes. €500 is the under 35s rate. Normal membership is €850 afaik.

Its been 18 for a good few years. Its a bit if a squeeze for the first few holes but grand after that. Lovely spot - everyone loves it and easier to get to since the M11 was extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I am spoiled for choice in regards to golf courses near me. I am looking at joining Woodenbridge for 500 for the year. The problem I have is I know nobody at the course and won't have someone to go around with most times. It's making me a little hesitant to join. Should I be worried in regards to playing on my own?

I have seen quite a few posts like this and with no disrespect to those posting .... what do you think goes on at these clubs?

I just dont see the fear. Once you join a club, you are a member like everyone else and as such its up to you to make the most of your investment ..... play as often as you can, get to know names, have something to eat/drink at the clubhouse afterwards, talk to everyone and ENJOY your time. I have been through a few clubs in my time and have yet to come across one that was not welcoming to new members. Stop the negative thinking, you are joining a golf club not a fight club. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Dtoffee wrote: »
    I have seen quite a few posts like this and with no disrespect to those posting .... what do you think goes on at these clubs?

I just dont see the fear. Once you join a club, you are a member like everyone else and as such its up to you to make the most of your investment ..... play as often as you can, get to know names, have something to eat/drink at the clubhouse afterwards, talk to everyone and ENJOY your time. I have been through a few clubs in my time and have yet to come across one that was not welcoming to new members. Stop the negative thinking, you are joining a golf club not a fight club. :P

To be fair if he was, he'd know not to talk about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I have been through the same situation and I agree that just putting your name on the timesheet is the way to go.

The only thing is that this can be a bit daunting for a beginner golfer.
    (Not sure of OP's status)
    Most beginners want to play casual golf at the start and putting your name down on the timesheet for the Saturday or Sunday competion can make you nervous at first.

Just walk up onto the tee and introduce yourself. Tell then if you are a beginner. I expect that they will be very welcoming and will help you with rules, etc.

Hit away and enjoy yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I have been through the same situation and I agree that just putting your name on the timesheet is the way to go.

The only thing is that this can be a bit daunting for a beginner golfer.
    (Not sure of OP's status)
    Most beginners want to play casual golf at the start and putting your name down on the timesheet for the Saturday or Sunday competion can make you nervous at first.

Just walk up onto the tee and introduce yourself. Tell then if you are a beginner. I expect that they will be very welcoming and will help you with rules, etc.

Hit away and enjoy yourself!

I don't know if the OP is a beginner but in most clubs someone on the committee or in the pro shop will sort it by asking a few people to help by playing with the newbie. This can include marking a couple of cards for handicap purposes or just making the guy/girl feel welcome. I'd imagine a well established club like Woodenbridge would be well up for that but so would almost anywhere worthy of the name "club".

Advertisement