Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Join Woodenbridge, Arklow or Coolatin

Options
  • 23-07-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

ant to join my first golf course. I live close to all three of these cources and enjoy each one (Im actually closest to Macreddin but i dont want to join a club where I have to get and pay for a cart for every round)
    Anyway all three have membership offers around the same price. Ill be joining on my own and wont know anyone at any of the courses :( Anyone help me out as to which course would be the best for a relative beginner and the most welcoming??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've only ever played Woodenbridge of the three but I thought the course was very nice.

Don't worry about not knowing anyone. I assume they work off a timesheet for the comps on the weekends, just stick yourself down to play with anyone at all and you'll meet people pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Arklow is playable all year round as its mostly a links course. The staff and members are friendly and the course is a good test of golf. Woodenbridge is beautiful on a sunny day, but when it rains ..... its hell as its down in a valley and you may as well be trying to play golf in the shower. Nice course, very easy to walk and a nice clubhouse with a good atmoshere.

Coolattin has just increased its length, its is a more of a tree lined course and has the famous garden hole:D. The clubhouse hasn't changed in years and the food is excellent.

All three are very good clubs and very welcoming, you are lucky to have such a choice .... if pushed I would say Arklow, because you will get more golf there and I like links golf. If you dont fancy links golf, then Coolattin would just about pip Woodenbridge for me as its probably a tougher challenge.

I would add that the nearer the better, if you want to get value for money. Best of luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

Agree with DToffee above. Arklow is very good. Coolatin I've only played once, but was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. Woodenbridge is a lovely setting and very picturesque, but I wasn't mad on the course itself. All down to personal preference of course, try and play them all a few times first if you can.

You have to get a cart for every round in Macreddin? You mean a buggy? I've walked it before, never had to get one, although I haven't played it in a couple of years. If it's the closest to you, then that's a shame, great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

I've played all three courses a good few times. For me I'd say Coolatin. I think Arklow is a fine course but if there is wind which there usually is then good luck. Woodenbridge is by a good stretch the worst course. Coolatin is beautiful I love it and of I lived closer I'd be a member there. One of the most welcoming club houses I've been in too. The course is a very good test of golf but might be a little wet in the winter. You will have a good course which ever you choose. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

newport2 wrote: »
    Agree with DToffee above. Arklow is very good. Coolatin I've only played once, but was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. Woodenbridge is a lovely setting and very picturesque, but I wasn't mad on the course itself. All down to personal preference of course, try and play them all a few times first if you can.

You have to get a cart for every round in Macreddin? You mean a buggy? I've walked it before, never had to get one, although I haven't played it in a couple of years. If it's the closest to you, then that's a shame, great course.

Yes a buggy. I shudder at the thought of even going around Macreddin on foot. Loved the clubhouse in Arklow actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Russman

I'll echo what most are saying.
    I haven't played Coolattin, but have played the other two and IMHO Arklow is a far better course than Woodenbridge. That's not to say Woodenbridge is in any way a bad course, it's certainly not. In terms of setting, I don't think I've ever played a prettier one than the valley Woodenbridge is set in, it's stunning.

Arklow for me all the way. A brilliant mix of links holes with a few semi parkland ones late on in the back nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

Yes a buggy. I shudder at the thought of even going around Macreddin on foot. Loved the clubhouse in Arklow actually.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant the course was insisting you had to use a buggy. Ye, it's a tough walk, ok on a once off, but not one I'd want every weekend! Good luck in your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

No contest for me - join Macreddin. What a course. I play it a few times a year with the auld fella and we both have regular golf gliders that do the trick. A perk of playing on the most enjoyable course in Ireland will be a healthy heart and furless arteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's probably worth looking at the value as well. A bit of research gives the following membership rates:

Arklow: €880 + GUI + Insurance
    Macreddin: €800 incl. GUI and Insurance
    Coolattin: €700 incl. GUI and Insurance (it doesn't say one way or the other)
    Woodenbridge: €1219 incl. GUI and Insurance (ditto)

Of the four I would rank Macreddin first closely followed by Arklow. The buggy thing with Macreddin is overstated, I've played it with a pull trolley and I'm told most members don't use buggies. It's a walk alright, but not as bad as made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ant to join my first golf course. I live close to all three of these cources and enjoy each one (Im actually closest to Macreddin but i dont want to join a club where I have to get and pay for a cart for every round)
    Anyway all three have membership offers around the same price. Ill be joining on my own and wont know anyone at any of the courses :( Anyone help me out as to which course would be the best for a relative beginner and the most welcoming??
    Thanks

That's an interesting decision. All three are courses I'd be happy to play on a regular basis. Macreddin is grand also but too much of a slog without a buggy and walking is an important part of it for me.

I think Coolattin is the best course of the three. However I don't know how good it is as a club. As a solo and a relative beginner, it will be important to have a collegiate and supportive club culture. If it provides that, then you won't go wrong with Coolattin as a place to develop your game.

Arklow is a relatively cheap links experience. Very different style of golf so you would need to decide if links or parkland is your thing. I have the impression Arklow has a strong club ethos, so that side of it should be fine.

Woodenbridge is lovely and everyone likes playing there. It is a relatively easy course so for a beginner it won't punish you. It is hugely popular for societies etc. so always nicely busy. I can't speak for the club ethos but it always has a buzz and is just a gorgeous place to be. However it has had flooding problems in the past so I don't know how it handles bad weather, especially rain. It should drain well into the two rivers but if they overflow....

Tough call; whichever you pick will be good so I'd go with gut instinct - which one do you most look forward to playing?

• Advertisement

Spanner in the works time ....... Courttown is just down the road from Arklow and would be well worth checking out. Very good mature course and a fine golf challenge, club house and members are as friendly as all the others.

Dtoffee wrote: »
    Spanner in the works time ....... Courttown is just down the road from Arklow and would be well worth checking out. Very good mature course and a fine golf challenge, club house and members are as friendly as all the others.

Yes, fine course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

OK, I play all three plus Coutown on a yearly basis.

My personal rankings would be:

1. Arklow, just love the mix of links and parkland. Great test of golf and if the wind is up, well think last weekends viewing.

2. Woodenbridge, what a setting, great clubhouse, and the greens are superb. Although I generally play it after the Aug bank holiday, Jnr Scr Cup on the Mon I think

3. Coolatin is great as well, great people, course back to its best, last year it looked a little unloved.

Play each of them, have a bite to eat, chat to the members and make your mind up. It's a great position to be in. Three great course in their own rights.

AA.

First Up wrote: »
    That's an interesting decision. All three are courses I'd be happy to play on a regular basis. Macreddin is grand also but too much of a slog without a buggy and walking is an important part of it for me.

I think Coolattin is the best course of the three. However I don't know how good it is as a club. As a solo and a relative beginner, it will be important to have a collegiate and supportive club culture. If it provides that, then you won't go wrong with Coolattin as a place to develop your game.

Arklow is a relatively cheap links experience. Very different style of golf so you would need to decide if links or parkland is your thing. I have the impression Arklow has a strong club ethos, so that side of it should be fine.

Woodenbridge is lovely and everyone likes playing there. It is a relatively easy course so for a beginner it won't punish you. It is hugely popular for societies etc. so always nicely busy. I can't speak for the club ethos but it always has a buzz and is just a gorgeous place to be. However it has had flooding problems in the past so I don't know how it handles bad weather, especially rain. It should drain well into the two rivers but if they overflow....

Tough call; whichever you pick will be good so I'd go with gut instinct - which one do you most look forward to playing?
    Arklow to be honest. Love links and its a relativly short and very enjoyable course. Leaning towards it to be honest.

Arklow to be honest. Love links and its a relativly short and very enjoyable course. Leaning towards it to be honest.

You wont go wrong tbh, I spent 10 years there and enjoyed every minute. No airs or graces, playable when others are closed and some great characters in the clubhouse ...... my only bit of advice is : dont be a car park member, use the clubhouse and you will soon be welcomed like a long lost friend.

Then go for it. Playable all year and nice "clubby" feel to the place. They have a good junior programme I think so it should be supportive of anyone getting into the game more seriously.

Best of luck with it. I think a lot of folk here envy your range of choice!

PS - great source of cheap balls from that guy beside the 18th green!

Thanks for everyone's helpful words and advice. Went into Arklow today today to discuss membership. They do a 5 day membership for 600 which is very good. As a teacher that might suit me. What are the big draw backs to 5 day membership other than the obvious. Can I not play in many completions then?

Thanks for everyone's helpful words and advice. Went into Arklow today today to discuss membership. They do a 5 day membership for 600 which is very good. As a teacher that might suit me. What are the big draw backs to 5 day membership other than the obvious. Can I not play in many completions then?

It varies. Some clubs run comps for 5 day members, including a Captains Prize. You may be allowed enter weekend competitions for a (reduced) green fee.

If you are thinking 5 day then well worth checking how each of the clubs cater for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Best to check with club themselves. PS I would not be paying full whack at this time of the year, I'd look for some deal to cover 15 and 16

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

A bit more research shows this for Woodenbridge.

Membership Special Offer For Under 35 Years, Ladies & Gents
    Special full annual membership for €750.00

If I lived nearer to Coolattin I'd join it same as Blainroe and Courtown.

If I was in walking distance to Arklow I'd choose that.

But I live in Avoca which is 1 to 2 miles from Woodenbridge so Thats where I'm a member.

How close you are to your course has a lot of benefits.

Macreddin is Very good but I find it a little tough for me off the Tee but if you can hit them straight and your close to it go for it.

• Advertisement

I'm under 35 so I qualify for that. I'm near aughrim. 20-25mins to collatin and Arklow, 10 mins to wooden bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Dtoffee wrote: »

Very good point. Courtown is a great course too. And very friendly members. Talk about being spoiled for choice. Courtown gets wet in the winter though. They have big drainage problems and spend a lot of money sanding the whole place to combat the problem. Looking at the annual sub posted previously Coolatin is good value.

I'm under 35 so I qualify for that. I'm near aughrim. 20-25mins to collatin and Arklow, 10 mins to wooden bridge.

Ten minutes to Woodenbridge.... That has an awful lot going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

First Up wrote: »
    Ten minutes to Woodenbridge.... That has an awful lot going for it.

If he's in Aughrim, he's five minutes to Macreddin. Talk about spoiled for choice!

Advertisement