Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have / would you get a cleaner?

• 16-02-2016 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

What was once only something the mega-rich or celebs would have, now even the average family can have a cleaner come to their house once a week to assist with ironing / cleaning etc... for a small fee while they get more precious time available to enjoy with their family / friends.
    Many of my friends, whether it be couples with kids or without, have availed of their services.

Do you have a cleaner or would you get one?

At the moment, I'm on the fence. I've no kids so I do have the time to clean the place. It actually gives me a sense of accomplishment to see everywhere clean and tidy afterwards. I could well afford a cleaner, but I just don't see the value.
    Maybe if I had kids, I'd value my time more and want to spend as much time with them, so paying a small fee would be well worth it.
    All top business folk of this world advocate such thinking of getting other people to do menial tasks, while you focus on what you're good at to succeed.

Perhaps some people simply wouldn't like the idea of a stranger coming into their house to clean about?

Do you / would you get a cleaner? 229 votes

Yep! It's fantastic! I don't know how I managed before!
    0% 0 votes
    No, but I'd love to have one!
    35% 81 votes
    No, and I don't need one but may consider it in the future.
    48% 112 votes
    No, I'd never consider it! Don't like the idea.
    15% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Only if she was proficient in polishing knobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Im actually thinking about getting a cleaner in at the minute.
    I work 5 days a week and when I get home cook dinner, put on wash, drive kids to practice sort next days dinner Im wrecked.
    I always thought women who got a cleaner in were mad but NOT ANYMORE...
    My weekends are spent cooking cleaning and washing/ironing and just last weekend I was wondering what in the name of god was I doing.
    Im stressed and cross most of the time and the kids getting the brunt of it and I feel as if life is passing me by and I dont have time to catch my breath anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭tigger123

Don't have kids and live with partner. We have a cleaner for a few hours a fortnight and its a lifesaver. All you have to do is keep the place tidy in between and you're sorted. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Cleaner in for 2-3 hrs one day a week, cleans the bathrooms sweeps/hoovers/mops floors and gives the rest of the house a good general tidy up.

This gives a half day extra to Mrs Kieran and I to enjoy with the kids at the weekend. As we only get approx. 2-3 hours with the kids in the evenings and most of that is spent having dinner and doing home work the extra couple of hours it saves us at he weekend is invaluable to us as a family :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I talked the missus into it when she went back to work. A lovely woman comes every other week and gives the place a good clean and irons a couple of shirts for me. Weekends are now spent hanging out with the kids instead of arguing over who should clean the jacks. Money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

So do we............... she's called Mammy:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What's the difference between a nanny and an au pair? Do they take shifts?

smash wrote: »

I always think a nanny is someone older (who the husband wont take a shine to!!) ) and an au pair is a younger person

smash wrote: »

Only if the cleaner gets to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cleaner comes in once a fortnight and it's great because it forces us to tidy the house before they come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I have a full time live in maid, she cleans and takes care of our dogs. Seriously couldn't survive without her :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Have you ever been introduced to your kids? :pac:

Who's hotter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I don't think I'd get one myself (more cos I don't like the idea of a stranger poking round my place) but anybody who does, why not. Life's too short to do stuff like cleaning if you really hate it or you're really busy and they don't really cost a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No. Because now rather than having my wife freaking out about getting the cleaning done during the day, she'd be freaking out trying to get the house cleaned during the evening before the cleaner arrived the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

I know a couple of people that have gotten in cleaners main reason was when they looked at spending €40 for two hours a fortnight they decided it was better value then them doing the cleaning (or not as the case maybe).

I would be up for having a cleaner if we had spare cash only considerations for me is the stranger in the house so would need to feel a bit comfortable with it and the urge to clean the house first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When we were children we helped with housework and other needs... shaking my head here. Would hate anyone in my house; was given a home help for a while way back and dropped that idea fast..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

What kind of cost are people paying for cleaners? It's just myself and the wife at the minute but if we have kids if consider getting someone in to do the ironing and hovering once a week for 2 or 3 hours

Well if they're doing shifts I guess there's no need to choose! :D

Graces7 wrote: »
    When we were children we helped with housework and other needs... shaking my head here. Would hate anyone in my house; was given a home help for a while way back and dropped that idea fast..

Kids do help out but because I work they do after school study so its late by the time we all get home. By the time we have dinner sorted and cleaned up and rest of homework finished the night is nearly gone.
    I dont particulary like the idea of someone in my house but at this stage im so tired I wouldnt care where they snooped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Do kids not do their own homework?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,677 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It was something I would never have considered until the babóg came along. We'd only really have time to do a proper clean at the weekend but cleaning opportunities are limited then so we got a cleaner.

It frees up an hour or two of my time at the weekend which is worth it.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Do kids not do their own homework?!

Yeah thats why theres isnt much time left for them to help around hse in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Genuinely, if anyone has someone they recommend in Dublin south please PM me, looking for someone for a few hours a fort night.

Thanks

• Advertisement

What kind of cost are people paying for cleaners? It's just myself and the wife at the minute but if we have kids if consider getting someone in to do the ironing and hovering once a week for 2 or 3 hours

Hassle.com you're looking at something like 15/hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

€10 p/hr

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When we were children we helped with housework and other needs...

Our 7 year old son actually gives the sitting room and kitchen a (admittedly cursory) hoover once a week for 3 euro a pop which he puts in his summer holiday money tin. Probably a bit more tricky trying to find a professional cleaner that'll work for ice cream money though.

Our 7 year old son actually gives the sitting room and kitchen a (admittedly cursory) hoover once a week for 3 euro a pop which he puts in his summer holiday money tin. Probably a bit more tricky trying to find a professional cleaner that'll work for ice cream money though.
    Takes me back to the Bob-a-Job days in the Cubs and Scouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We have one, she comes three times a week. Would be lost without her.
    I was against the idea initially but it's really worked out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

When we were children we helped with housework and other needs... shaking my head here.

We looked into this as we thought it would be cheaper, but apparently there are laws against hiring children to clean your house, so we got an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

had this conversation a couple of years ago at work. was surprised the amount of people that had cleaners.. At the moment I couldn't justify paying one, there are only 2 of us living in the apartment plus its a good workout.. If my circumstances change and have kids, holding down a full time job I would probably have one but for now no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

We have one. 4 hours a week. She's deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I used to have a cleaner come in once a week in NZ. Never took it up when we moved here, but have thought about it frequently. I hate cleaning, like really hate it, but I also feel like I'm going to loose the plot when the house is messy. It's a terrible combination. Much better off to either not mind cleaning or not give a ****e about mess.

So whats the difference? Does one live in and the other not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My time is precious to me, so I'd definitely consider it. The bit that puts me off is having a randomer in the place, most likely while I'm at work or otherwise out and about.

Oh right so an au pair is someone without qualifications in childcare area? Like a student doing summer work whilst a nanny has qualifications in childcare and will work in that field?
    I always wondered what the difference was. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I wouldn't consider it at the moment. I know people say oh it's only 15€ per hour, but at 3 hrs a week that's more than 2 grand a year! Not worth it imo. I might consider it if I had kids and worked full time and couldn't cope with the amount of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, an au pair is basically someone on summer experience/work experience gig as a general housekeeper. Typically their role is to stay in the home and do cleaning, cooking and some childminding. In return their food and board is free and they get a small amount of "pocket money" to spend on themselves. They're often overworked, underpaid and it's usually a pretty sh1t gig. In Ireland at least recent laws have come in to try and protect them by requiring them to have a set amount of "personal" hours every day and week, but it's hard to police.

A nanny is usually a qualified childcare professional who's paid a salary, works regular hours and gets regular time off. Some will do some light housework, but usually only trainee or inexperienced ones. Professional nannies focus 100% on minding the children. They can either live in the house or in their own home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I've actually had a couple, either they didn't do the job right (the house was given a quick flick) or they took advantage of the situation. One cleaner claimed she could clean my house in 3 1/2 hours which I know just can't be done and she was pretty expensive for that time. Eventually the results were getting worse, my hoover was damaged from being dragged around and she was actually caught doing half the time and taking the full charge when I wasn't around. My cousin's cleaner stole thousands from him about 18 years ago so I must admit I'm a bit sceptical. If you want a job done right, do it yourself. Having said that now, two of my friends have had two different cleaners for years now and they do a bang up job so I might make enquiries there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd be the type that would feel the need to clean the house before the cleaner came because I wouldn't want anyone to think I was dirty. I'll happily clean the house. Its a live in chef/cook I'd want. There is nothing that stresses me more than the daily, "So what does everyone want for dinner?", having to shop for it, having to cook it, having to cleanup after it. Ironically, I actually like cooking a lot of the time but Jesus its the day after day after day of it. Can't afford to eat out or Takeaway too often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement