Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I thought the 2008s got in on the lower rate of €1,809 and then from 2009 onwards it was €2,350?

I would love to own a 2008 e92 M3 but I couldn't stomach having paid €10,000 for a tax disc for 5 years. The fuel consumption wouldn't bother me nor would the issues it has (actuators). They don't seem to be too easy to move on either.

I think July 2008 to 31st Dec 2008 could choose the old or new system (so yes the €1800 rate)...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭tossy

I think July 2008 to 31st Dec 2008 could choose the old or new system (so yes the €1800 rate)...

There was no choice - post July 08 you were taxed based on emissions (be it dearer or cheaper) my own car went to 1200 after July 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

The €609 in motor tax should be insignificant in terms of the overall costs of running an M3.

I think the likes of the E92 M3 with the V8 will be cherished in years to come. Also with a manual gearbox will be more reliable than the twin turbo double clutch gearbox, given the general Irish attitude to maintenance.

tossy wrote: »
    There was no choice - post July 08 you were taxed based on emissions (be it dearer or cheaper) my own car went to 1200 after July 08.

Ah yes, maybe it was Jan to June 2008 I was thinking about.....

OSI wrote: »
    You don't make pounds without counting the pennies ;)

Insightful. I'll use that when I launch my next company from the seat of M3. :)
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Except for the fact the E92 M3 feels like your driving a bus. Hated driving the thing on track. What is the curb weight of one like 4 tonnes :pac: Sure it has great brakes,sounds lovely and looks cool but you cant hide all the weight its carrying

Given that we don't all daily drive around Mondello for a living I think the E92 M3 is more than capable enough on the day to day roads. The difference in weight between the 2 is 60 odd kg, hardly driving a bus.

Maybe you're driving it wrong? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I think this is the first time I've seen any M3 described as anything but perfect, are the German fan boys starting to come around or is this just old tax mad Ireland really trying to justify the cost of owning one super saloon over another? :pac:

No one buys an M3 to count pennys, you absolute loons. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

CianRyan wrote: »
    No one buys an M3 to count pennys, you absolute loons. :p

True but when your job is financial control and advising aswell as being a car enthusiast you kind of have an issue on your hands :pac:

Look, I'm a mechanic and I've bought an RX8, you need to go deep to understand the issues at hand. Haha

CianRyan wrote: »
    Look, I'm a mechanic and I've bought an RX8, you need to go deep to understand the issues at hand. Haha

How's the RX8 running? Must spin up to you some evening! It's a hilarious car with the pops and bangs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Didn't someone take the tax office to court over the emissions tax for cars sold in 2008 and won the right to tax it either by litre or emissions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bataguclir

when you wonder why you dont visit a forum any more then check in and find a bunch of 20 somethings who live at home with mammy with there straight piped rep mobiles arguing that tax on an M3 is not important :D:D:D

166man wrote: »
    How's the RX8 running? Must spin up to you some evening! It's a hilarious car with the pops and bangs :)

It's been perfect bar being thirsty! Do, I'm on Christmas leave now except Friday so I'm pretty much always free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

* gets popcorn *

bataguclir wrote: »
    when you wonder why you dont visit a forum any more then check in and find a bunch of 20 somethings who live at home with mammy with there straight piped rep mobiles arguing that tax on an M3 is not important :D:D:D

Please post a picture of your car so we can critique that instead.

OH SORRY! You can't because you don't even post here.

Who drives the rep mobile with the straight pipe? :confused:

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Let's try to STEER this back on topic....

32911264092_e8487515fd_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Got sent a little something in the post last week. Been having fun since

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Didn't someone take the tax office to court over the emissions tax for cars sold in 2008 and won the right to tax it either by litre or emissions?
    That was for cars sold in Ireland from Jan-Jun 2008, they were allowed to choose either scheme (whichever was cheaper)
    Important to note that it does not apply for imports. So if you import a Jan 2008 RX8 from the UK for instance, it will be taxed at the 2350 rate.

I saw an 09 RX8 on 09 - d - 120xxx plates in cavan of all places, taxed at the 2350 rate and all. Now there's a madman/enthusiast take your pick!

Alright fella, post a pic of your car... Do you even have enough posts to allow you to post pics??

ELM327 wrote: »
    That was for cars sold in Ireland from Jan-Jun 2008, they were allowed to choose either scheme (whichever was cheaper)
    Important to note that it does not apply for imports. So if you import a Jan 2008 RX8 from the UK for instance, it will be taxed at the 2350 rate.

Incorrect. I was looking at an early 2008 RX8 R3 a few years ago, imported from the UK and was €636 per year tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

True but when your job is financial control and advising aswell as being a car enthusiast you kind of have an issue on your hands :pac:

As a financial advisor you really should be better up on your man maths...see works like this.

1. Expensive tax...sure its a cheaper car and the depreciation is done, and that covers the extra tax anyway = buy the car you want.

2. Cheaper to tax - well the extra price of the cars is offset by the chape tax = buy the car you want.

Its so simple, yet i have to explain it to my wife every time.

bataguclir - nice trolling there, usually takes a few more posts than that to have everyone think your a dick, but you nailed it in one. :P

As a financial advisor you really should be better up on your man maths...see works like this.

1. Expensive tax...sure its a cheaper car and the depreciation is done, and that covers the extra tax anyway = buy the car you want.

2. Cheaper to tax - well the extra price of the cars is offset by the chape tax = buy the car you want.

Its so simple, yet i have to explain it to my wife every time.

bataguclir - nice trolling there, usually takes a few more posts than that to have everyone think your a dick, but you nailed it in one. :P

Man maths only applies to the individual - not the majority :P Also man maths is what made me buy an RX8 in 2007 with which insurance was 2.5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Incorrect. I was looking at an early 2008 RX8 R3 a few years ago, imported from the UK and was €636 per year tax.
    Hmm.
    I'm sure I read that on the UK import thread before but after a quick google you are indeed correct
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Might as well keep the car pics coming :cool:

May look somewhat clean here, but the back of it is filthy :o

Golf_Snow.png

Are those GT's the 1.6 turbo?
    Took one for a test drive last year and I was really impressed. Somewhat of a warm hatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They'd be 2.0 TDI 140 or 1.4 TSI 160
    The GTD is 170
    (UK Specs)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ya it's a 2.0 Diesel. Doing fairly big mileage. Even still it has a bit of poke to it and doesn't complain!

Ah, the TSI 160 I was thinking off.

My friend has the same 2.0 TDI in an A4 which feels good so I'd say it's great in the Golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Got sent a little something in the post last week. Been having fun since

Tell me more!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Man maths only applies to the individual - not the majority :P Also man maths is what made me buy an RX8 in 2007 with which insurance was 2.5k!

Man maths is why I have two cars both with 2.5 tax. 9 months tax for one, 3 months for the other. It's practically paying me to do it sure!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement