Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie gains after 4 month layoff from lifting??

Options
  • 11-02-2016 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Female here in early 40s. Was lifting for over 6 months last year until broke both arms . when start back after 13 week layoff, will I experience newbie gains??a
    Want to start a cut at same time as start back lifting to lose a half stone of hopefully fat. From. what I've read , a newbie will gain some muscle even while eating at deficit. Will I qualify as newbie and see these effects or will I be losing some muscle at same time as far? Planning on 15% deficit as don't want to lose drastically. A few lbs a month are OK, just don't want to lose much muscle as already lost some during my injury. Am only 5ft so while a half stone may not seen like much, I'll be much happier facing into the summer if lose it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

only one way to find out.....

if you dont qualify, you could always appeal the ruling I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Meanie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The extra myonuclei in your muscles from lifting should still be there, for the most part, and so you would regain lost muscle much faster than you will in the first place because those myonuclei in the muscles will drive more protein synthesis.

But in a deficit, it's hard to what benefit that will confer.

That said, it's not your primary concern -cutting the half stone is. So make sure to get adequate protein on board and you should be fine when you go back to maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Females don't build muscle nearly as fast or as easily as men. Newbie gains will be minimal on a deficit, if there's any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Broke both arms jezzzzz that sucks ass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

@mellor, my understanding was that a newbie,while eating at a deficit will preferentially lose fat rather than muscle. I'm not concerned about building new muscle during my cut, more with not losing it. eg if lose half stone,want to be mostly fat, and hoping lifting and quasi newbie effect will facilitate this. Just have to try I guess!! Others telling me to start lifting and gain back my strength and any muscle lost before starting the cut as don't want to lose any more muscle.I'm over analysing as usual I'd say so will just try the cut first....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

it really doesnt have to be so complicated and I dont mean to sound patronising.You were injured and now you are not, just go back to the gym, follow your programme, eat correctly and the rest will follow.

people seem to think its an exact science if I do this X, Y has to happen as the internet told me so.

Advertisement