Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus wont be accepting Luas Tickets during Strike

Options
  • 10-02-2016 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Just thought I would mention this for those that thought it would be accepted, as some times it is, but not tomorrow/Friday

as per front page on Dublin Bus website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Hardly surprising.

They're two separate companies and unless NTA would be willing to compensate Dublin bus, it's not within Dublin bus financial interests to allow luas tickets.

That should maybe a question for NTA, but im guessing they'll put that ball in the luas operators (transdev) court.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

usually when the Luas breaks down, they will accept it, I used my Luas ticket on Monday morning on Dublin Bus.

I sent an email to Luas, to get a refund for 2 days, as i have a monthly Luas ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

usually when the Luas breaks down, they will accept it, I used my Luas ticket on Monday morning on Dublin Bus.

I sent an email to Luas, to get a refund for 2 days, as i have a monthly Luas ticket.

There is a difference between a service breakdown and the service being suspended due to a strike.

There is no agreement for cross-operator ticket acceptance in the event of a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Any claims for refunds should be sent to SIPTU

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Called LUAS

they will issue refunds for all weekly.monthly.yearly ticket holders, starting on Monday. by calling them

what is what they told me over the phone today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

A question that has been confusing me. Transdev is a private company right? So it is aiming to make a profit? But they claim that they "€700,000 last year and was predicting further losses for 2016." so they can't talk about pay. But if they are losing money and it only seems to be getting worse, why the hell are they operating Luas? Why did they take on the contract if there's no profit in it? Did they **** up?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

MrMorooka wrote: »
    A question that has been confusing me. Transdev is a private company right? So it is aiming to make a profit? But they claim that they "€700,000 last year and was predicting further losses for 2016." so they can't talk about pay. But if they are losing money and it only seems to be getting worse, why the hell are they operating Luas? Why did they take on the contract if there's no profit in it? Did they **** up?

a very good question MrMorooka. transdave is indeed a private company. from what i understand, the losses are in general and not from luas. i should imagine they took on luas before they suffered any losses. hopefully more info on your questions will come into the public domain soon.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Dublin Bus routes that will swamped are:

Green Line: 7, 11, 14, 44, 46a & 145

Red Line: 13, 27, 56a, 65/b, 68, 69, 77a, 90, 145 & 151

Cross both Lines: 18 (Green Line at Raneagh & Red Line at Kylemore) & 75 (Green Line at Dundrum & Red Line at Tallaght)

Dublin Bus routes that will swamped are:

Green Line: 7, 11, 14, 44, 46a & 145

Red Line: 13, 27, 56a, 65/b, 68, 69, 77a, 90, 145 & 151

Cross both Lines: 18 (Green Line at Raneagh & Red Line at Kylemore) & 75 (Green Line at Dundrum & Red Line at Tallaght)

I think you forgot the 47, 61, 114, 116 and 118 with respect to the Green Line.

You also left out the 40, 122, 123 with respect to the Red Line, and any of the 25, 25a, 25b, 26, 66, 66a, 66b, 67 and 79/a from Heuston inwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Any claims for refunds should be sent to SIPTU

Better still, the bearded one.

Unions are no different from any other businesses, they depend on pay claims from time to time, to justify their existence, maintain membership, and thus revenue.
    Without mamber subscriptions, there would be no money to pay official's salaries.

Tram drivers should realise they are only being used as pawns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

transdave is indeed a private company. from what i understand, the losses are in general and not from luas.
    AFAIK, Luas is Transdev's only operation in Ireland.

All other Veolia operations in Ireland stayed with Veolia.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Victor wrote: »
    AFAIK, Luas is Transdev's only operation in Ireland.

Can you explain why Transdev is in a contract that is losing them large amounts of money?

Can you explain why Transdev is in a contract that is losing them large amounts of money?
    You would have to see what their financial statements look like (in detail) to understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Accounts can be made to say pretty much whatever they want them to say, for example back in 2013 DB was at deaths door, opened their books to independent assessment and confirmed DB was banjaxed, yet lo and behold 6 months later when DB released their accounts for 2013 they actually made a modest profit, 1.5 million as far as I remember, and it wasn't cost cutting that made this miraculous turn around, because the cost cutting deal was only implemented in late November 2013.

So any claims based on accounts should be treated with caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Accounts can be made to say pretty much whatever they want them to say, for example back in 2013 DB was at deaths door, opened their books to independent assessment and confirmed DB was banjaxed, yet lo and behold 6 months later when DB released their accounts for 2013 they actually made a modest profit, 1.5 million as far as I remember, and it wasn't cost cutting that made this miraculous turn around, because the cost cutting deal was only implemented in late November 2013.

cdebru wrote: »

With respect - look at the current DB balance sheet. It's still an unholy mess with massive accumulated losses. A P & L account is only for one year - the Balance Sheet is key to assessing the company's overall financial health.

And if you are suggesting that professional qualified accountants (of which I am one) are prepared to put their necks on the line by producing false and misleading accounts then I think you may need to retract that suggestion.

I find that very insulting to my profession.

You are effectively calling us liars.

Unless you look at the individual cost elements you cannot make sweeping statements like you have just done.

cdebru wrote: »

Just to revert to this - the real problem that DB and the other CIE companies faced was that the losses had already been accumulated in the previous years - the cuts in payroll were to try and recover some of those losses.

You cannot simply look at one year in isolation - you have to look at the series of accounts. In the case of Dublin Bus, it made losses of €15m in 2008, €14m in 2009, €22m in 2010, €18m in 2011 and €4m in 2012.

Those losses don't just get swept away and forgotten about - the world doesn't work like that. They have to be recovered - the payroll cuts should have happened back in 2009 to match the drop in revenues, but they didn't - they took place much later and as a result the company was playing catch up in terms of trying to recover the losses it had suffered.

While the company made a profit in 2013, at the end of that year, the company had €51m of accumulated losses (having made a profit of €481k and having net current liabilities (current assets less current liabilities) of €47m and got a qualified audit opinion.

It made a profit of €11m in 2014, but that still leaves a shortfall of €40m to be made up. It still had net current liabilities of €43m and a qualified audit report.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its my understanding that LUAS pay DB an hourly rate when they have a breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Well when DB went on strike the luas didn't accept bus tickets so hardly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lxflyer wrote: »
    Those losses don't just get swept away and forgotten about - the world doesn't work like that. They have to be recovered

Well, not always. if there is 25-27m of depreciation each year causing losses then there no problem with that. Well until they sell the gear as they vastly over depreciate the buses on a yearly basis. So really only 2010 is a potential major issue cash loss wise.

what's this:
    Other debtors and accrued income 28m
    Who owes DB that much cash? Annual ticket sales partially accrued? found the note for it

• Advertisement

Well, not always. if there is 25-27m of depreciation each year causing losses then there no problem with that. Well until they sell the gear as they vastly over depreciate the buses on a yearly basis. So really only 2010 is a potential major issue cash loss wise.

what's this:
    Who owes DB that much cash? Annual ticket sales partially accrued? found the note for it

NTA - subsidy & Leap Card
    DSP - free travel
    CIÉ - Taxsaver, advertising revenue
    Insurers - CIÉ and third-party
    Taxsaver customers, where there is an annual contract to pay, but an agreement to pay monthly

The exact treatment of grants, both capital (buses) and subsidy (cash) does strange things to the CIÉ companies accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How in the name of all that is holy does Dublin STILL not have an integrated ticketing system for public trasnport....?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 rhoa

lxflyer wrote: »
    With respect - look at the current DB balance sheet. It's still an unholy mess with massive accumulated losses. A P & L account is only for one year - the Balance Sheet is key to assessing the company's overall financial health.

And if you are suggesting that professional qualified accountants (of which I am one) are prepared to put their necks on the line by producing false and misleading accounts then I think you may need to retract that suggestion.

I find that very insulting to my profession.

You are effectively calling us liars.

Unless you look at the individual cost elements you cannot make sweeping statements like you have just done.

Liar liar pants on fire.
    Hollywood blockbusters officially loose money with a little help from creative accountants, google Forest Gump lost money.
    Have a google of Tesla motors and GAAP, you can get the smell of the books cooking in California all the way over here in Ireland.
    Last year all DB drivers where earning E60k when they where striking, now that the LUAS drivers are striking for a pay rise i see in the paper DB drivers earn E28k.
    Accountants might be honest when doing work for a individual, but not all the time when working for big business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Perhaps because they're paying the drivers too much already?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Perhaps because they're paying the drivers too much already?

that wouldn't be it. if they were paying them too much then they wouldn't have paid it in the first place

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

that wouldn't be it. if they were paying them too much then they wouldn't have paid it in the first place

Therefore nobody is overpaid in the world.

The bankers are not overpaid because they wouldn't have been paid it in the first place.

Neither would management.

How in the name of all that is holy does Dublin STILL not have an integrated ticketing system for public trasnport....?
    Do you mean like Leap Card? Or do you mean like combined Dublin Bus / Luas tickets?

rhoa wrote: »
    Last year all DB drivers where earning E60k when they where striking, now that the LUAS drivers are striking for a pay rise i see in the paper DB drivers earn E28k.
    I see that you are banned, so I'm not sure if you'll see this.

There is a difference between (a) basic wage and total cost of package and (b) starting wage, average wage and maximum wage.

I strongly suspect you are picking and choosing to suit your argument, which would be hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean like Leap Card? Or do you mean like combined Dublin Bus / Luas tickets?

As in buy a single one-off ticket on a bus an then transfer to a luas or dart and not have to buy another one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

As in buy a single one-off ticket on a bus an then transfer to a luas or dart and not have to buy another one.

Like a 1 day bus and rail or a day bus and kiss rambler? They've been in existence for ages

Advertisement