Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness

Options
  • 09-02-2016 12:54am
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭


    Here here!

    What a drink. Am I right? Think about the black stuff. By God. You should be proud. Ah t'is grand isn't it?

    I remember my first cravings for the black stuff grew when I was 15. I would have had my first proper sup the pint at Christmas and I remember being stuck in Irish class in the run up to a hot summer fantasising about a cold black beauty on my table. Everyday we had irish class I was dreaming about a thick creamy pint. I failed Irish but that's not important. I had many a scrumptious pint that summer.

    So AH, what were your first magic Guinness moments? :)


«134

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss


    I hate coal. Filthy dusty and smelly.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man


    You spelt Tennent's wrong


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize


    Have you considered writing for Joe.ie?


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr


    Burnt toast in a glass.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard


    You spelt Tennent's wrong

    Actually I was convinced this was a thread started by you.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man


    mansize wrote: »
    Have you considered writing for Joe.ie?

    Joe.ie, worse than the Sunday World.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero


    Mint flavoured Guinness


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea


    Mint flavoured Guinness might be nice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky


    Goes great with a club sandwich and chips!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize


    Joe.ie, worse than the Sunday World.

    Exactly


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero


    Azalea wrote: »
    Mint flavoured Guinness might be nice.

    I think you'll find I posted that before you ;) Copyrighted. Now go away banned from my thread I patent mint guiness as of posting this the end.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea


    Mint Aero wrote: »
    Mint flavoured Guinness
    Azalea wrote: »
    Mint flavoured Guinness might be nice.
    Ah fup it. Mint flavoured Murphys.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko


    Never liked it tbh


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna


    Never really drank more than a couple of pints, never acquired the taste, I hear the morning after can be an eventful trip to the toilet.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous


    First sip was after a hurling game in a pub when I was around 7 or 8, pretty sure now it was a joke from my father as he knew what it would taste like for a child :D He also played the grape/olive, sloe/plum trick on us too

    Love the stuff now though, nothing better than heading down to your local and slugging down a third of the pint after a hard's day work


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,215 ✭✭✭✭PARlance


    Mint Aero wrote: »
    So AH, what were your first magic Guinness moments? :)

    Vomiting it through my nose on my 18th birthday. Drinking it ever since.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub


    Senna wrote: »
    Never really drank more than a couple of pints, never acquired the taste,
    Maybe try it again, it is not that "acquired" a taste at all any more. I remember in the early 90s people, especially women, baulking at the taste of it. Then with arthurs day I saw everybody skulling it back not a bother. Somebody in the beer forum claiming to be "in the know" claimed it had slowly become more bland tasting to appeal to the mass market, and I believe it -friends who would have a pint now still baulk at the taste of stouts in the likes of the porterhouse, while years back I remember people not thinking there was too much of a difference.

    Also in the beer forum self proclaimed beer aficionados did blind tasting of all the well known stouts and the results were totally inconclusive, many thought they would definitely tell them apart and could not.

    Many consider it to be the stout which others all try to emulate. I also maintain if beamish had always matched it pricewise that it would be more popular, people stupidly presume it (and others) are the cheaper imitator, when the bulk of the cost of your pint is actually the advertising.

    I doubt I could tell it apart in a blind tasting. I do reckon I could tell coca cola apart from others though.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Mint Aero wrote: »
    Here here!

    What a drink. Am I right? Think about the black stuff. By God. You should be proud. Ah t'is grand isn't it?

    I remember my first cravings for the black stuff grew when I was 15. I would have had my first proper sup the pint at Christmas and I remember being stuck in Irish class in the run up to a hot summer fantasising about a cold black beauty on my table. Everyday we had irish class I was dreaming about a thick creamy pint. I failed Irish but that's not important. I had many a scrumptious pint that summer.

    So AH, what were your first magic Guinness moments? :)



    And Sally O'Brien, and the way she'd look at you.....

    wait oops sorry er wrong ad! :o:pac:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize


    I haven't the patience


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi


    Ah Guinness, great stuff when you get a decent pint of it (which isn't always the case unfortunately). Try adding a shot of rum to it - the darker ones work best - great flavour combination!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89


    Mint Aero wrote: »
    So AH, what were your first magic Guinness moments? :)

    I had always associated Guinness with maturity and masculinity. In my mind, it was no coincidence that every man from Dublin to Sligo drank this stuff. At 22, I was already quite a hardened drinker but I had never got around to Guinness. I play it safe in terms of drink and food usually. I haven't taken a risk with either since I ordered that steak pizza from Dominos. But it was Arthur's Day. If you can't venture out of your comfort zone and try Guinness on that day of all days, then something's wrong with you.

    Now I don't conform to society's rules a lot of the time - I was one of the first in Ireland to claim that Dr Dre Beats are a bit sh*t and grossly overpriced, when everyone else was jizzing over them - but I bowed to pressure on this occasion. "Okay mate," I said when one of the lads tried to literally bring me to the dark side. "I'll do it. Let's do this." I was up for it. Nothing was going to stop me.

    He and myself arrive at the pub at, say, 6pm. Naturally, there was more black stuff on display than that BP oil spill a few years ago. But I was still ready for what was ahead, going in with an open mind. It was time to become this mature, masculine man that Guinness apparently turns you into. I expected to be talking about drill bits and Syria by 6.30pm.

    I think the first one was free so my mate arrives back with two pints of Guinness. He plonks it down on the table and says "there you go pal." I'm paraphrasing. I've no idea what he said, but I imagine he said something like this. I was pumped at this stage. I wanted to dive into it head first, but I was verbally restrained. "You have to leave it a minute," said my mate. I didn't believe him. He reminded me of one of these people who flicks the bottom of their cigarette box before removing a cigarette. He wanted to come across as some sort of f*cking Yoda of Guinness basically. "Fair enough, I'll wait so." About 15 seconds in, he breaks and takes a sip, which leads me to believe that you don't have actually have to leave it simmer.

    But this is it. I'm about to be a mature, masculine man and I'll have the white moustache to prove it. Nobody has ever lifted a pint more carefully. I put to my lips and take a sip. "Is this some kind of sick joke?" I wanted to say, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings, like the time he recommended The Hateful Eight. I was bemused and my facial expressions couldn't hide it. "It gets better after the head," I'm told. Grand, it's only a bit of foreplay - albeit with Yaya and Kolo's sister. I'm still open minded. Few more sips and I'm down to the black stuff. This is it. I'm pumped. This is the part where I become a mature, masculine man and I'll be having the black, tarry sh*ts afterwards to prove it.

    The verdict? Absolutely f*cking horrendous. Guinness is the worst drink on planet earth - and I include white spirit in that. I let my mate - who is basically almost finished his pint, as if he was trying to prove how nice it was by drinking so fast - finish off the rest of it. "Pint bottle of Bulmers please barman," and that was that. I was more disappointed by Guinness than the steak pizza from Dominos.

    Arthur's Day? F*ck off. Why not dedicate a day to Danny Ocean, or one of the blokes from The Sting - they were conmen as well. Overrated. That's all I have to say.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom


    Up until the age of 18, I'd always drank lager.. Usually just Carling or something else cheap.

    I remember it being around Paddy's Day 2013. I was a student at the time, and was playing in a trad session one evening. Someone told me that Guinness was free for the musos, so having threpence to my name, I took up the offer. The first sip was as if God himself had poured it into my mouth, and I never looked back.

    The stomach the next day can be put through the mill, though. On Saturday (having been out and mainly on Guinness the night before) I spent so long in a pub toilet my mate texted me asking if I'd left.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr


    -


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr


    Heard somewhere you can survive for eternity on just Guinness and separate does of Vitamin C.
    As it covers most other vitamins (especially the B group), iron, folic acid, fats, carbo, minerals, h2o and micro-nutrients.

    That's how the zen yogi master chaps get through the centuries stuck in meditative poses, atop himalayan hillsides.
    Guinness is Great!


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant


    Hated Guinness the first few times I tried it. Wasn't until a few years ago I got a taste for it. Love it now.
    I'm partial to the creamy pint of draught and also the pint bottles of Extra from the fridge.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita


    Hammer89 wrote: »
    I had always associated Guinness with maturity and masculinity. In my mind, it was no coincidence that every man from Dublin to Sligo drank this stuff. At 22, I was already quite a hardened drinker but I had never got around to Guinness. I play it safe in terms of drink and food usually. I haven't taken a risk with either since I ordered that steak pizza from Dominos. But it was Arthur's Day. If you can't venture out of your comfort zone and try Guinness on that day of all days, then something's wrong with you.

    Now I don't conform to society's rules a lot of the time - I was one of the first in Ireland to claim that Dr Dre Beats are a bit sh*t and grossly overpriced, when everyone else was jizzing over them - but I bowed to pressure on this occasion. "Okay mate," I said when one of the lads tried to literally bring me to the dark side. "I'll do it. Let's do this." I was up for it. Nothing was going to stop me.

    He and myself arrive at the pub at, say, 6pm. Naturally, there was more black stuff on display than that BP oil spill a few years ago. But I was still ready for what was ahead, going in with an open mind. It was time to become this mature, masculine man that Guinness apparently turns you into. I expected to be talking about drill bits and Syria by 6.30pm.

    I think the first one was free so my mate arrives back with two pints of Guinness. He plonks it down on the table and says "there you go pal." I'm paraphrasing. I've no idea what he said, but I imagine he said something like this. I was pumped at this stage. I wanted to dive into it head first, but I was verbally restrained. "You have to leave it a minute," said my mate. I didn't believe him. He reminded me of one of these people who flicks the bottom of their cigarette box before removing a cigarette. He wanted to come across as some sort of f*cking Yoda of Guinness basically. "Fair enough, I'll wait so." About 15 seconds in, he breaks and takes a sip, which leads me to believe that you don't have actually have to leave it simmer.

    But this is it. I'm about to be a mature, masculine man and I'll have the white moustache to prove it. Nobody has ever lifted a pint more carefully. I put to my lips and take a sip. "Is this some kind of sick joke?" I wanted to say, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings, like the time he recommended The Hateful Eight. I was bemused and my facial expressions couldn't hide it. "It gets better after the head," I'm told. Grand, it's only a bit of foreplay - albeit with Yaya and Kolo's sister. I'm still open minded. Few more sips and I'm down to the black stuff. This is it. I'm pumped. This is the part where I become a mature, masculine man and I'll be having the black, tarry sh*ts afterwards to prove it.

    The verdict? Absolutely f*cking horrendous. Guinness is the worst drink on planet earth - and I include white spirit in that. I let my mate - who is basically almost finished his pint, as if he was trying to prove how nice it was by drinking so fast - finish off the rest of it. "Pint bottle of Bulmers please barman," and that was that. I was more disappointed by Guinness than the steak pizza from Dominos.

    Arthur's Day? F*ck off. Why not dedicate a day to Danny Ocean, or one of the blokes from The Sting - they were conmen as well. Overrated. That's all I have to say.

    Cool story bro.


  • Posts: 50,630 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    I can't even remember when I fell in love with Guinness. When I was in my late teens/early twenties, the only thing I could drink was bulmers. Could drink beer of any kind. I remember about 8/10 years ago going to Belgium with a group of friends and going to a bar called delirium. I ended up drinking an apple beer as it was all I could bear.

    I went to Amsterdam then about 6/7 years ago and went to the Heineken museum, there I learned that the reason I hated beer was because I was always taking a sip of the top of it, so only ever getting the bitter hops at the top. That was the day I became a beer drinker and soon after that would have been Guinness. I absolutely love the stuff now. Couldn't touch a pint of bulmers now, way too sweet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie


    First pint at about 15 on the Aran Islands.
    Very decent pint, continued swallowing them over the following decade or so.
    I was not a fan of the other beers on offer. Heineken bloated me, Carlsberg gave me smashing hangovers, Budweiser gave me all of the above and a runny arse.

    Guinness on the other hand, was filling (so I couldn't drink too much of it too fast, only gave me moderate hangovers and only gave me the runny arse treatment once or twice, Quite the opposite was the issue.)

    It was only when I emigrated and started drinking other beers that I realised how truly ordinary Guinness is as a drink in most places.

    Some pubs serve a cracking pint, most serve a slightly sour, stale dull headache in a glass that will tear the ringpiece clean out of you the next day.

    Guinness has achieved legendary status in the beer world largely because it is the most popular drink in the loudest, most prolific and infamous nation of functioning drunks in the world. (also because of its marketing dept. and budget)

    As a beer, I've had far better.

    It's ingredients are questionable, It's quality unpredictable and the consequences of a dodgy one are some of the worst I have personally experienced from any beer.

    All that said, I do crave a good pint of G every now and again, and every time I'm back in the wet patch, I try and get over to Gravediggers or into Mulligans on Poolbeg for a few. As long as I can get into the Kingfisher for a solid brekky the next day, I can wear the consequences.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BurpsyMcWindyPops


    Absolutely delicious stuff but I only get to have it when I'm home unless I go to an Irish bar here. Is it just me or is there a lovely drunk off it that's different to other alcoholic drinks? I never feel messy after pints of it - kind of a fluffy, happy drunk feeling. I do think they've reduced the strength of the flavour of it over the years, though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe


    I remember about 24 years ago sitting in a hotel bar in London and a guy asking for a pint of Guinness, which the barmaid duly pulled just like a pint of bitter. It looked like pure slop.
    After the unfortunate victim had taken this glass of raw sewage, she commented to another snobby guy how some Irish people refuse to accept the Guinness. to which his reply was, "Sure what would they know about Guinness, isn't it an English drink!"...


Advertisement