Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness

• 09-02-2016 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Here here!

What a drink. Am I right? Think about the black stuff. By God. You should be proud. Ah t'is grand isn't it?

I remember my first cravings for the black stuff grew when I was 15. I would have had my first proper sup the pint at Christmas and I remember being stuck in Irish class in the run up to a hot summer fantasising about a cold black beauty on my table. Everyday we had irish class I was dreaming about a thick creamy pint. I failed Irish but that's not important. I had many a scrumptious pint that summer.

So AH, what were your first magic Guinness moments? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I hate coal. Filthy dusty and smelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You spelt Tennent's wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Have you considered writing for Joe.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Burnt toast in a glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Actually I was convinced this was a thread started by you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

mansize wrote: »
    Have you considered writing for Joe.ie?

Joe.ie, worse than the Sunday World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Mint flavoured Guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Mint flavoured Guinness might be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Goes great with a club sandwich and chips!

Joe.ie, worse than the Sunday World.

Exactly

• Advertisement

Azalea wrote: »

I think you'll find I posted that before you ;) Copyrighted. Now go away banned from my thread I patent mint guiness as of posting this the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Mint flavoured Guinness
    Azalea wrote: »
    Ah fup it. Mint flavoured Murphys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Never liked it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Never really drank more than a couple of pints, never acquired the taste, I hear the morning after can be an eventful trip to the toilet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

First sip was after a hurling game in a pub when I was around 7 or 8, pretty sure now it was a joke from my father as he knew what it would taste like for a child :D He also played the grape/olive, sloe/plum trick on us too

Love the stuff now though, nothing better than heading down to your local and slugging down a third of the pint after a hard's day work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Vomiting it through my nose on my 18th birthday. Drinking it ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Senna wrote: »
    Never really drank more than a couple of pints, never acquired the taste,
    Maybe try it again, it is not that "acquired" a taste at all any more. I remember in the early 90s people, especially women, baulking at the taste of it. Then with arthurs day I saw everybody skulling it back not a bother. Somebody in the beer forum claiming to be "in the know" claimed it had slowly become more bland tasting to appeal to the mass market, and I believe it -friends who would have a pint now still baulk at the taste of stouts in the likes of the porterhouse, while years back I remember people not thinking there was too much of a difference.

Also in the beer forum self proclaimed beer aficionados did blind tasting of all the well known stouts and the results were totally inconclusive, many thought they would definitely tell them apart and could not.

Many consider it to be the stout which others all try to emulate. I also maintain if beamish had always matched it pricewise that it would be more popular, people stupidly presume it (and others) are the cheaper imitator, when the bulk of the cost of your pint is actually the advertising.

I doubt I could tell it apart in a blind tasting. I do reckon I could tell coca cola apart from others though.

Here here!

What a drink. Am I right? Think about the black stuff. By God. You should be proud. Ah t'is grand isn't it?

I remember my first cravings for the black stuff grew when I was 15. I would have had my first proper sup the pint at Christmas and I remember being stuck in Irish class in the run up to a hot summer fantasising about a cold black beauty on my table. Everyday we had irish class I was dreaming about a thick creamy pint. I failed Irish but that's not important. I had many a scrumptious pint that summer.

And Sally O'Brien, and the way she'd look at you.....

wait oops sorry er wrong ad! :o:pac:

I haven't the patience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Ah Guinness, great stuff when you get a decent pint of it (which isn't always the case unfortunately). Try adding a shot of rum to it - the darker ones work best - great flavour combination!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I had always associated Guinness with maturity and masculinity. In my mind, it was no coincidence that every man from Dublin to Sligo drank this stuff. At 22, I was already quite a hardened drinker but I had never got around to Guinness. I play it safe in terms of drink and food usually. I haven't taken a risk with either since I ordered that steak pizza from Dominos. But it was Arthur's Day. If you can't venture out of your comfort zone and try Guinness on that day of all days, then something's wrong with you.

Now I don't conform to society's rules a lot of the time - I was one of the first in Ireland to claim that Dr Dre Beats are a bit sh*t and grossly overpriced, when everyone else was jizzing over them - but I bowed to pressure on this occasion. "Okay mate," I said when one of the lads tried to literally bring me to the dark side. "I'll do it. Let's do this." I was up for it. Nothing was going to stop me.

He and myself arrive at the pub at, say, 6pm. Naturally, there was more black stuff on display than that BP oil spill a few years ago. But I was still ready for what was ahead, going in with an open mind. It was time to become this mature, masculine man that Guinness apparently turns you into. I expected to be talking about drill bits and Syria by 6.30pm.

I think the first one was free so my mate arrives back with two pints of Guinness. He plonks it down on the table and says "there you go pal." I'm paraphrasing. I've no idea what he said, but I imagine he said something like this. I was pumped at this stage. I wanted to dive into it head first, but I was verbally restrained. "You have to leave it a minute," said my mate. I didn't believe him. He reminded me of one of these people who flicks the bottom of their cigarette box before removing a cigarette. He wanted to come across as some sort of f*cking Yoda of Guinness basically. "Fair enough, I'll wait so." About 15 seconds in, he breaks and takes a sip, which leads me to believe that you don't have actually have to leave it simmer.

But this is it. I'm about to be a mature, masculine man and I'll have the white moustache to prove it. Nobody has ever lifted a pint more carefully. I put to my lips and take a sip. "Is this some kind of sick joke?" I wanted to say, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings, like the time he recommended The Hateful Eight. I was bemused and my facial expressions couldn't hide it. "It gets better after the head," I'm told. Grand, it's only a bit of foreplay - albeit with Yaya and Kolo's sister. I'm still open minded. Few more sips and I'm down to the black stuff. This is it. I'm pumped. This is the part where I become a mature, masculine man and I'll be having the black, tarry sh*ts afterwards to prove it.

The verdict? Absolutely f*cking horrendous. Guinness is the worst drink on planet earth - and I include white spirit in that. I let my mate - who is basically almost finished his pint, as if he was trying to prove how nice it was by drinking so fast - finish off the rest of it. "Pint bottle of Bulmers please barman," and that was that. I was more disappointed by Guinness than the steak pizza from Dominos.

Arthur's Day? F*ck off. Why not dedicate a day to Danny Ocean, or one of the blokes from The Sting - they were conmen as well. Overrated. That's all I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Up until the age of 18, I'd always drank lager.. Usually just Carling or something else cheap.

I remember it being around Paddy's Day 2013. I was a student at the time, and was playing in a trad session one evening. Someone told me that Guinness was free for the musos, so having threpence to my name, I took up the offer. The first sip was as if God himself had poured it into my mouth, and I never looked back.

The stomach the next day can be put through the mill, though. On Saturday (having been out and mainly on Guinness the night before) I spent so long in a pub toilet my mate texted me asking if I'd left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Heard somewhere you can survive for eternity on just Guinness and separate does of Vitamin C.
    As it covers most other vitamins (especially the B group), iron, folic acid, fats, carbo, minerals, h2o and micro-nutrients.

That's how the zen yogi master chaps get through the centuries stuck in meditative poses, atop himalayan hillsides.
    Guinness is Great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Hated Guinness the first few times I tried it. Wasn't until a few years ago I got a taste for it. Love it now.
    I'm partial to the creamy pint of draught and also the pint bottles of Extra from the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I had always associated Guinness with maturity and masculinity. In my mind, it was no coincidence that every man from Dublin to Sligo drank this stuff. At 22, I was already quite a hardened drinker but I had never got around to Guinness. I play it safe in terms of drink and food usually. I haven't taken a risk with either since I ordered that steak pizza from Dominos. But it was Arthur's Day. If you can't venture out of your comfort zone and try Guinness on that day of all days, then something's wrong with you.

Now I don't conform to society's rules a lot of the time - I was one of the first in Ireland to claim that Dr Dre Beats are a bit sh*t and grossly overpriced, when everyone else was jizzing over them - but I bowed to pressure on this occasion. "Okay mate," I said when one of the lads tried to literally bring me to the dark side. "I'll do it. Let's do this." I was up for it. Nothing was going to stop me.

He and myself arrive at the pub at, say, 6pm. Naturally, there was more black stuff on display than that BP oil spill a few years ago. But I was still ready for what was ahead, going in with an open mind. It was time to become this mature, masculine man that Guinness apparently turns you into. I expected to be talking about drill bits and Syria by 6.30pm.

I think the first one was free so my mate arrives back with two pints of Guinness. He plonks it down on the table and says "there you go pal." I'm paraphrasing. I've no idea what he said, but I imagine he said something like this. I was pumped at this stage. I wanted to dive into it head first, but I was verbally restrained. "You have to leave it a minute," said my mate. I didn't believe him. He reminded me of one of these people who flicks the bottom of their cigarette box before removing a cigarette. He wanted to come across as some sort of f*cking Yoda of Guinness basically. "Fair enough, I'll wait so." About 15 seconds in, he breaks and takes a sip, which leads me to believe that you don't have actually have to leave it simmer.

But this is it. I'm about to be a mature, masculine man and I'll have the white moustache to prove it. Nobody has ever lifted a pint more carefully. I put to my lips and take a sip. "Is this some kind of sick joke?" I wanted to say, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings, like the time he recommended The Hateful Eight. I was bemused and my facial expressions couldn't hide it. "It gets better after the head," I'm told. Grand, it's only a bit of foreplay - albeit with Yaya and Kolo's sister. I'm still open minded. Few more sips and I'm down to the black stuff. This is it. I'm pumped. This is the part where I become a mature, masculine man and I'll be having the black, tarry sh*ts afterwards to prove it.

The verdict? Absolutely f*cking horrendous. Guinness is the worst drink on planet earth - and I include white spirit in that. I let my mate - who is basically almost finished his pint, as if he was trying to prove how nice it was by drinking so fast - finish off the rest of it. "Pint bottle of Bulmers please barman," and that was that. I was more disappointed by Guinness than the steak pizza from Dominos.

Arthur's Day? F*ck off. Why not dedicate a day to Danny Ocean, or one of the blokes from The Sting - they were conmen as well. Overrated. That's all I have to say.

Cool story bro.

I can't even remember when I fell in love with Guinness. When I was in my late teens/early twenties, the only thing I could drink was bulmers. Could drink beer of any kind. I remember about 8/10 years ago going to Belgium with a group of friends and going to a bar called delirium. I ended up drinking an apple beer as it was all I could bear.

I went to Amsterdam then about 6/7 years ago and went to the Heineken museum, there I learned that the reason I hated beer was because I was always taking a sip of the top of it, so only ever getting the bitter hops at the top. That was the day I became a beer drinker and soon after that would have been Guinness. I absolutely love the stuff now. Couldn't touch a pint of bulmers now, way too sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

First pint at about 15 on the Aran Islands.
    Very decent pint, continued swallowing them over the following decade or so.
    I was not a fan of the other beers on offer. Heineken bloated me, Carlsberg gave me smashing hangovers, Budweiser gave me all of the above and a runny arse.

Guinness on the other hand, was filling (so I couldn't drink too much of it too fast, only gave me moderate hangovers and only gave me the runny arse treatment once or twice, Quite the opposite was the issue.)

It was only when I emigrated and started drinking other beers that I realised how truly ordinary Guinness is as a drink in most places.

Some pubs serve a cracking pint, most serve a slightly sour, stale dull headache in a glass that will tear the ringpiece clean out of you the next day.

Guinness has achieved legendary status in the beer world largely because it is the most popular drink in the loudest, most prolific and infamous nation of functioning drunks in the world. (also because of its marketing dept. and budget)

As a beer, I've had far better.

It's ingredients are questionable, It's quality unpredictable and the consequences of a dodgy one are some of the worst I have personally experienced from any beer.

All that said, I do crave a good pint of G every now and again, and every time I'm back in the wet patch, I try and get over to Gravediggers or into Mulligans on Poolbeg for a few. As long as I can get into the Kingfisher for a solid brekky the next day, I can wear the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BurpsyMcWindyPops

Absolutely delicious stuff but I only get to have it when I'm home unless I go to an Irish bar here. Is it just me or is there a lovely drunk off it that's different to other alcoholic drinks? I never feel messy after pints of it - kind of a fluffy, happy drunk feeling. I do think they've reduced the strength of the flavour of it over the years, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I remember about 24 years ago sitting in a hotel bar in London and a guy asking for a pint of Guinness, which the barmaid duly pulled just like a pint of bitter. It looked like pure slop.
    After the unfortunate victim had taken this glass of raw sewage, she commented to another snobby guy how some Irish people refuse to accept the Guinness. to which his reply was, "Sure what would they know about Guinness, isn't it an English drink!"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Guinness Yankee candles. Could be a winner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I used to be a cider/lager monkey but the sick stomach the day after a sesh was just horrendous. After one particularly heavy weekend about 6 years ago I was in the boozer to watch a game and the thought of a pint of Bulmers made me want to heave so I had 3 pints of stout and have been drinking it since.

What used to slay me with hangovers was not being able to eat the day after and the hangover would last all day.

With Guinness my head is very steamy but I'm that hungry the morning after I'd eat a scabby baby, once i get some grub into me I'm golden.

The only downside is that it gives me outrageous shyts but the way I see it is its cheaper than a colonic.

I've often heard people say they feel full after 4 or 5 pints, there's atein and drinkin in Guinness etc but I've never had that experience, on a good session i could sink 10 to 12 pints with relative ease but after 4 or 5 pints of lager or cider I feel as bloated as Marlon Brando.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Worst thing about Guinness is when you get the Guinness farts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Great stuff, till someone suggested trying it with a dash a blackcurrent.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Burnt toast in a glass.
    I love burnt toast. Maybe not in a glass, though. Guinness is fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Patww79 wrote: »
    Drank 17 one Paddys day for a bet when I was 18. Sick doesn't even cover it the next day.

Now I can't drink more than 7 or 8 or I feel like I've had 3 dinners.

Sounds legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Patww79 wrote: »

So, like the 12 Pubs of Christmas you were doing St. Patrick's 17th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

....runs off to buy shares in Diageo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Years ago, I'd often go drinking with a friend, both of us on Guinness. After a while, I noticed that when we'd finish a pint, there would be rings from the head along my glass at various intervals, ie. mouthfuls, while his glass would be almost clear. He suggested that maybe the glasses were washed with a different detergent (but I thought that was a bit stupid). I reckon it was down to different drinking styles, not that I know what mine is.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Years ago, I'd often go drinking with a friend, both of us on Guinness. After a while, I noticed that when we'd finish a pint, there would be rings from the head along my glass at various intervals, ie. mouthfuls, while his glass would be almost clear. He suggested that maybe the glasses were washed with a different detergent (but I thought that was a bit stupid). I reckon it was down to different drinking styles, not that I know what mine is.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Interesting, I've always put that down to a glorious Guinness pint glass being contaminated with other foul non Guinness drinks. Thus a glass with rings is a pure and holy Guinness only glass and never had another beer poured in her.

I could put forth the hypothesis that you back wash in each gulp thus form said rings. A practice common among Guinness worshipers as the motion prolongs and savours the taste of each sup in the drinkers mouth.

Could also be detergent, heat etc. I wouldn't know but will investigate further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Pint bottles FTW, feck that nitro shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Love an ould pint of Guinness. My first memory of it was when myself and the girls were all let into the pub for the first time. 17 I think we were. Said we'd try a bit of Guinness. Had to get blackcurrent in it though because we weren't able for it. The blackcurrant made it worse. Anywho, tried it a few months later in the Guinness Storehouse. Absolutely gorgeous. I'm craving one now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't mind it, I wouldn't have more than a pint or two. The farts in the morning are unbearable if I drink too much of it. I'll literally be woke by the smell of my own farts and have to abandon the bedroom, which isn't on when you want to lie in through your hangover. The farts smell like a dead skunk spray in gone off pepper spray.

I like the old guinness stout you get in the bottle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

No self respecting Irishman or woman, would touch that píss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Inspired by another thread...

You May Pick ONLY 3 in ranked order, from anywhere in the world.

Mine.

1. Fawls Pup in Ennis, Ireland

2. Dick Mack's Green St, in Dingle Town, Ireland

3. Nannies Bar, Keenan's Cross, Togher, Co louth, Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Shur aint it all the same anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement