Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pebble driveway - Mypex?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Not sure a membrane will make any difference in the long run to be honest.

Your future weed growth is going to come on top - from the dirt etc. gathering in and around the pebbles themselves over time. Any membrane can really only stop / delay something coming up from below - not from on top.

Since this is a driveway already, there shouldn't be any old viable seeds / source of weeds under there any more so you're not really going to be blocking anything from coming up. Might be a waste of money.

Still, others here are probably much more qualified than I!! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Not sure a membrane will make any difference in the long run to be honest.

Your future weed growth is going to come on top - from the dirt etc. gathering in and around the pebbles themselves over time. Any membrane can really only stop / delay something coming up from below - not from on top.

Since this is a driveway already, there shouldn't be any old viable seeds / source of weeds under there any more so you're not really going to be blocking anything from coming up. Might be a waste of money.

Still, others here are probably much more qualified than I!! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

sully123 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm planning a pebble driveway to replace my broken concrete one.

I have read thru a lot of the posts here.

One question that I have is whether or not to use a membrane under the hardcore base?

I'm going to put down 4 inches or so of 804 compacted under a blinding dust, and top it of with a 14mm chipped pebble finish of some sort.
    There seems to be some difference of opinion as to whether a membrane under the hardcore is necessary.

So, if it is.. is mypex the correct stuff? or at least acceptable?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Weed-Block-Fabric-1-x-50M-Weed-Membrane-Weed-Control-Mypex-/321767814087?hash=item4aeadb33c7:g:epIAAOSwBahVZ0OA

Thanks
    No need for it,it will do nothing.weeds come in from above. But youwill find intime weeds will start to grow ingravel area, just pull as you see them. Think little and often. Or spray a few times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with the others, I have pebbles on a good hardcore surface and no weeds come through from below, just a few easy to pull weeds that grow in the pebbles, not a problem. Pebbles on a driveway are going to get thrown about by driving on them though? And you will almost certainly need a top up after 12 months - it should be ok after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You are getting mixed up between two different uses of membranes. The one that might go under the hard core is a fleece membrane, and is used by builders and roads engineers to stop the hard core stones sinking down into mud or soft sub soil. Your ground is probably hard already because it was already a driveway, especially if you leave the concrete in situ, or break it up in situ. Its no use to you.

Second type is the weed proof membrane, normally to separate the decorative pebbles/stones from any subsoil underneath where the roots might get some nourishment. Again you will hardly need that either, but it might be worth putting it in as a precaution, above the blinding layer. The blinding material itself could provide some sustenance to weed roots. Any weeds that do grow will pull out easily if the roots are contained within the pebbles, by the membrane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Anatom wrote: »
    Your future weed growth is going to come on top - from the dirt etc. gathering in and around the pebbles themselves over time.
    This is very true, but it tends to occur only in certain places, like corners where leaves gather, or where soil is spilling out of a flower bed.

If you have the membrane in place below the pebbles, it is easy enough to scoop up a few buckets of pebbles and rinse them (by pouring out of one bucket half filled with water and into another, a couple of times). Brush off and collect the dirt that collects on the exposed surface of the membrane. Then put back the pebbles in that spot and you're good as new again.

Advertisement