Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooters for Women... in Dublin

Options
  • 07-02-2016 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Sorry for invading, but..
    Irish women could be soon sipping cocktails in a restaurant with scantily clad 'super hot' hunky waiters

An Irish woman has revealed her plans to open a restaurant where all the staff are gorgeous men dressed in skimpy uniforms.

Michelle Ryan hopes to launch the dishy diner in Dublin, where they would serve up American-style ribs, burgers and chicken wings.

And the dishes from the menu aren't the only thing that will be finger-licking good.

Aiming to put a male spin on the popular US franchise Hooters, the Dubliner's eatery would have "cheeky male servers" that are not only friendly and professional but also "super-hot".

Would yiz wimmin actually be interested in this?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-women-could-soon-sipping-7300282

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not really, that kind of thing gets old very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Jesus no, how trashy, couldn't see a place like that ever opening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Haha!

Kinda thought as much..

I woulda thought they'd be better aiming at gay men, and then hens, etc, could join in the odd time. But, what do I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Absolutely not. I could just imagine them walking around without shirts and that would just put me off my food from a hygiene point of view.

It would also have to be very well run. Some places like this in the US are well run and if the girls get hassled then they have security to remove people. Some other places aren't as well run and the women are subjected to verbal and physical harassment. I wouldn't want to see men having to go through that. It would make me very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

sassyj wrote: »
    Jesus no, how trashy, couldn't see a place like that ever opening here.

That's the thing, it's because these women are aiming for "family friendly", that a place like this would never get off the ground. I really can't tell what market they're aiming for with a place that one can take the family to feed on American style ribs, burgers and what not, while there are men parading around in short shorts... :pac:

No wonder they're crowd-funding for €90k - no serious financial investor would touch that with a forty foot barge pole -

The entrepreneur and two of her friends have pooled together €250,000 of their own funds to set up the restaurant and are now crowd-funding to raise the final €94,000 needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Haha!

Kinda thought as much..

I woulda thought they'd be better aiming at gay men, and then hens, etc, could join in the odd time. But, what do I know!

I don't know any gay men who would find that appealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Outside of hen parties, I can't see it getting much footfall. Definitely wouldn't be my idea of a good night out.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ugh.

I'd have no interest.

And I'd actually be concerned that waiting staff are dishing out hot food without protective clothing. Having waited tables for years, at least once a night food would end up on my clothing. If it wasn't there, my skin would have got burned or scalded. It's what happens when you are rushing around with hot plates and hot food and drinks in a busy environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhhh no all i can think of is what if they had "BO" problems ick... Or like chest hair falling off into the food..

I would prefer to see something like maybe them wearching white tight tshirts and nice fitted pants.. Or if they were dressed as fecking Marvel charaters now there you go.. I would say I would like them all to look like Chris Hemsworth in Thor, but like Captain America could be there.... Wolverine now were ontop somehting there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think it's a bit tacky being honest. Speaking as a guy I would also think of something like Hooters tacky as well.

Some girls might go there once or twice for the novelty factor but unless the food is very good it would probably get very old after that.

I myself would value good quality food at good prices in deciding where to dine over a few pairs of breasts! :D

I'd say if it's unique selling point was the scantily clad male waiters, then they would have no shortage of women who would want to go for the entertainment, but the menu is just wrong and doesn't seem to take account of people's desire for healthy eating. Even Hooters in the States have noticed this problem with their menu when they're trying to attract more women into their restaurants and they've started offering salads on the menu along with their burgers and chicken wings.

The hygiene and food safety aspect wouldn't be a big issue (staff safety though may be... problematic :pac:), but it's not as though it's actually a unique concept. There's a "Tallywhackers" opening in Texas already -

http://www.people.com/article/tallywackers-all-male-hooters-dallas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'd have no interest in this. I'd rather sit at the bar with my ordinary looking male friends (who are beautiful to me in every way,) than be surrounded by waxed chests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ew, in so many ways.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't know any gay men who would find that appealing

I do. Just one or two though. The rest of my gay male friends wouldn't go near it with a barge pole. Nor would any of my female friends.

The only way this would be successful is if it was targeted towards Hen parties etc, but even then it's a bit tacky. The novelty would soon wear off.

I would have zero interest in going myself.

And I agree with the whole "it would need security" thing. Crowds of drunk women can be feral. People think that it's okay for women to touch the male strippers bum or fondle their six packs, but if a man did that to a female stripper there would be outrage. Double standards.

I personally see it falling on its arse, if it does even go ahead.

It's main source of trade would be Hen nights, I'd assume. I can see it being a destination for domestic and foreign Hens.

Personally I can't think of much that I'd rather do less.

I think I phrased that right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,489 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Never got the whole "We're hot and flirty but don't touch" thing. There are better ways for everyone to have a nice night out without supporting this sort of nonsense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I can think of two batchelorette parties I didn't go to because there were various forms of entertainment that would just have me cringing. Not my idea of a good time.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I do. Just one or two though. The rest of my gay male friends wouldn't go near it with a barge pole. Nor would any of my female friends.

The only way this would be successful is if it was targeted towards Hen parties etc, but even then it's a bit tacky. The novelty would soon wear off.

I would have zero interest in going myself.

And I agree with the whole "it would need security" thing. Crowds of drunk women can be feral. People think that it's okay for women to touch the male strippers bum or fondle their six packs, but if a man did that to a female stripper there would be outrage. Double standards.

I personally see it falling on its arse, if it does even go ahead.

I agree more or less with the rest of your post (of course it would only be successful if it's tacky, they're trying to pass the idea off as high-brow or classy or "family friendly", and that's why there's no interest), but the bit in bold there - it's not double standards at all, it's different standards, because they're two completely different things.

That's why this idea won't take off either, because the people behind it have the same idea that they can just substitute men for women and work it the same way as Hooters. They're not thinking of the differences in who they're aiming their business at, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I feel tacky even thinking about that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well if there's a cereal cafe opening then maybe there is space for all other nonsense. They can put their own money in it if they think it will be a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

God the thoughts of a restaurant set up specifically for people to lech on the staff. Would hate to see how the waitstaff would get treated by people after they'd had a few drinks on them. Although the bar staff in Pantibar (Dublin) are normally topless/very very fit and it seems to work out well for them, if maybe it does because that's a venue where you'd be allowed to tell someone grabby & inappropriate to bog off & get them bouncered out.

Would not be my cup of tea and I wouldn't go on a hen that was going to end up there. Food & nipples should not mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Would not be my cup of tea and I wouldn't go on a hen that was going to end up there.

Totally agree. I would decline any kind of party to a place like this.

Food & nipples should not mix.

Except for breast-feeding, of course...:P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've been trying to formulate a response, but I can't get beyond, "yock."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Surely a tight top would work better???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I'd prefer if the sexy waiter came over and asked me with genuine interest about my day and agreed that Martha from HR was indeed, a stuck up bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BurpsyMcWindyPops

I hate all that ****e. A stripper was organised for a friend's hen and all we could do was feel sorry for the poor chap when he did his thing. If that's what he wants to do and if that's what people want to see (same goes for female strippers), grand but it's not my cup of tea at all.

I remember going on another hen and having to wear a dildo on my head all night along with a whole load of other tacky paraphernalia - we were such a walking cliche that I wanted the world to swallow me up. I did a legger without telling anyone at about midnight.

I hate all that ****e. A stripper was organised for a friend's hen and all we could do was feel sorry for the poor chap when he did his thing. If that's what he wants to do and if that's what people want to see (same goes for female strippers), grand but it's not my cup of tea at all.

I remember going on another hen and having to wear a dildo on my head all night along with a whole load of other tacky paraphernalia - we were such a walking cliche that I wanted the world to swallow me up. I did a legger without telling anyone at about midnight.

It was when the hilarious penis-shaped straws appeared that I decided it was time to leave with my dignity intact at the last Hen I was at.

It doesn't help that I don't drink, I can only imagine how sedate these affairs would be if nobody drank!

Candie wrote: »
    It was when the hilarious penis-shaped straws appeared that I decided it was time to leave with my dignity intact at the last Hen I was at.

It doesn't help that I don't drink, I can only imagine how sedate these affairs would be if nobody drank!

Ah I generally go with it when it happens as it's not my night but it's the naffness of it all that gets to me, even if it's done tongue in cheek - SURELY we can come up with something funnier than willy moustaches?

At least doing it soberly and sedately would be kind of funny.

• Advertisement

Though willy moustaches sound kinda funny now that I think about it...

Advertisement