Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denmark's "power right now" is showing 174 g CO2/kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭SeanW

djpbarry wrote: »
    First of all, that’s not a “report”, it’s an article.
    One of about half a dozen I had previous posted and had ignored.
    Secondly, there are several countries bordering Germany – why is only Poland supposedly suffering? Most of Germany’s neighbours have reliable grids.
    Most? Not all? Are you conceding that there's something going on in Poland?

As to Germany's neighbors, much of the problem arises from the ned to send wind power from windmills in the North to heavy users in the South and in Austria, to a lesser extent Italy. Being an educated renewables advocate that's all the time banging on about European supergrids, you are probably familiar with the current situation, or you should be. Nutshell: The Czech republic has similar problems to Poland but I don't think it's quite as bad for them, the Benelux countries aren't relevant to the North-South flow, and France just has a massively better system not just because of its massive nuclear but also it has significant hydroelectricity and even some pumped hydro all of which is extremely flexible and presumably can handle the crap going on to the East. I assume, though I could be wrong, that the Poles have none of this which is why they routinely have to engage in bizarre "pushback" procedures while the French do not. You can monitor the French grid in real time here.
    It doesn’t matter what the carbon intensity is “right now”. What matters is the overall trend.
    Re read the OP, even the thread title. It's all about the power "right now".
    Denmark’s electricity supply is now less carbon intensive than it was two decades ago: yes or no?
    Could well be, but it's still pathetic compared to France/Sweden.

Why are you assuming they were more cost-effective in the past? The economics of the French nuclear programme was a closely-guarded state secret for many years. Using what limited data was made available in 2000, this paper has put the total cost of the French PWR programme at €230 billion, as of 1998:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421510003526

The above also notes that the capital costs associated with the French programme increased remarkably quickly – approximately 5% per annum – meaning the final cost far exceeded expectations. Another paper attributes the present day exorbitant costs of nuclear to the same high capital costs, largely owing to the fact that nuclear technology hasn't sufficiently advanced and tighter regulatory guidelines necessitate greater expense on design:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/030142159290006N
    I assume the costs were affordable because, obviously they were hence the presence of the reactors. I also assume this because every other large/industrialised nation was pursuing similar policies around the same time, though not to the same extent. All of the "nuclear is expensive mmmmmmkay" analyses relate to current projects, such as EPRs in the UK and Finland, so I have to assume they (the Captain in particular) are referring to current phenomenon. But for the sake of argument, let's assume that your €230bn figure is accurate, and yes that is an enormous sum of money. But for that, they've had a secure, stable, plentiful, reliable, virtually CO2 free supply of electricity, for a very large/populous country for the past 4 decades, that didn't cost a lot of money to the end user.

The analyses, while painting a grim picture of costs, also fails to explain why most large/industrialised countries have/had large scale reliance on nuclear elecricity. The U.S, Canada, The UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Russia, Finland, China, India, Japan. All have current nuclear reactors, how did the horrible evil nuclear boogeymonsters convince all these countries to provide multi-billion subsidies to such an inefficient power source? Or would an analysis consist of more than "nuclear power is expensive mmmmmkay?"

By the way, Germany's environment minister stated in 2013 that their Energiewende may cost €1 trillion, that is €1,000,000,000,000 over the next two decades. These are the people promoting the Energiewende, admitting it could cost such an obscene sum, less optimistic projections are even higher.
    You also say nothing about the environmental impact of nuclear power?
    When nuclear power is run correctly (which by definition excludes the Soviet Union completely and to a lesser extent TEPCO in Japan), most of its costs are internalised, or paid for by an external patron as you allege occured in France. With nuclear operations, you have a uranium mine, milling/enrichment facilities, the plant itself, and storage for spent fuels. All of these have costs which must be paid. The waste that comes out is a solid, which must be accounted for, unlike fossil fuels which dump waste gasses into the air. I exclude extraordinary incidents such as Chernobyl and Fukushimi because both were predictable in advance as being "it's just a matter of time before that happens" and caused by arrogance in the extreme. Chernobyl in particular, would have been a Soviet comedy of errors, it it were not so tragic.

Renewables programmes also require vast amount of resources and land and cause extreme damage to our environment, between the extreme damage to nature and the landscape directly caused by windmills, and the requirement to expand the grid massively to reach very remote areas, to carry power in enormous amounts over vast distances and to provide dramatically expanded redundancy. It's a reasonable bet that much of this additional grid expansion is to occur in places that were previously unspoilt (like nature reserves and forest parks) or were used very lightly (like dairy/livestock farming). By the way, that crap will all have to be maintained after it is built.
    Every form of power generation has some sort of associated environmental cost.
    True, but it it is worst by far with fossil fuels, I think we can agree on that much. I contend that the associated environmental costs for renewables are understated, and those of nuclear overstated, and primarily for dogmatic/ideological reasons.
    So the supergrid does exist? Because you said in your last post it was largely theoretical?
    Denmark has elements of both (a national grid and a supergrid), but they're still putting out a significant amounts of CO2/kwh.
    The long-term trend. You’re very obviously cherry-picking data points.
    So was the OP! Re-read the title of this thread! This is the second time you've accused me of something that you've given the OP a pass for doing the exact same thing. Again, I couldn't make this up!
    Now we’re getting somewhere.
    How so?
    But what they’re probably not going to assume is that food is more expensive in some countries than others due to different production methods.
    It's true that correlation does not imply causation. However, it just so happens that countries have gone down the Green rabbit hole have the highest power costs. Just a co-incidence? This fails Occams razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

SeanW wrote: »
    Denmark has the highest electricity prices in Europe and is in the top 10 globally. Only miniscule remote island chains hundreds/thousands of miles into the oceans have worse energy costs.
    Because of taxes, not production costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Icepick wrote: »
    Because of taxes, not production costs.

Consumer electricity prices are about 24c + 25% VAT in DK. ie 6c VAT per kWh.

The VAT rate on electricity is 5% in GB and 8% in Switzerland, as it is on cars and everything else (food, medicines, literature and artistic tickets have an even lower VAT rate 3.5%).

It is 13.5% in IRL on electricity.

Power grid connectivity is a rolling issue. If Ireland was connected (with 5 to 10 GW of capacity) to several points in NW France grid, France in turn is connected to Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Spain.

GB and IRL are islands with very little GW of connectivity. It looks as if France is pulling out of the Hinkley Point (GB) nuclear plant because its cost to complete will be in the 25 to 30 billion EUR range. That was intended to supply 7% of GB's electricity in future years. France has an aging nuclear plant platform. Germany is on the path to eliminating nuclear generation.

The logic is clear. There is a huge and growing market out there to sell electric power to. The wholesale price of power in these markets has to increase, in the absence of some new miracle technology. Ireland can contribute by keeping a working base of conventional (ideally fast starting) plant to meet its own base load when there is reduced renewable generation, as well as using various forms of storage technology perhaps. This plant will be low maintenance due to a low level of use (relative to a coal plant today). But a European grid based approach relies largely on the presence of a grid and the dispersed and varied intensive use of renewable technologies by all parties. When the Mistral is blowing down the Rhone Valley or SW France, it might be a calm day in Ireland and vice versa. In terms of wind generation, sea based generation is also a more consistent producer of power than land based turbines.

Denmark is planning a 1 GW power connection with GB - a distance of some 700 kms. At the moment GB has only two connections with the mainland - to France and Netherlands. None to Belgium.

By contrast Cork to Brest is only 450 km. France has heavy duty connections in place to Brittany serving the Monts d'Arree nuclear power plant near Quimpier and the Flamanville nuclear centre in Normandy. In addition to the EPR nuclear plant under construction, Flamanville already has two PWR stations producing 2.6 GW which were opened in 1986 and 1987. The new European Pressurized reactor will have an output of 1.65 GW.

The Celtic Sea area is part of the European continental shelf, and is not very deep - 90 to 100m in most places. This would allow a string of sea based turbines whose output could be fed into one or more grid interconnections linking France with Ireland, for example. The same cable could also provide built in fibre optic telecommunications (protected from information thieves by the HVDC power risk running in the same cable package). NEC have a 101 TB/sec cable solution, and another product, developed in conjunction with Corning capable of 1.05 Petabits/sec (IE 105'000 TB per second).

The combination of power transmission with wind based generation and low latency high capacity data in one package could make the project far more affordable for the participants.

France already is already using 'string technology' for renewable power generation by running long strips of solar pannel PV cells along autoroutes and expressways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Impetus wrote: »
    Denmark is planning a 1 GW power connection with GB - a distance of some 700 kms. At the moment GB has only two connections with the mainland - to France and Netherlands. None to Belgium.

By contrast Cork to Brest is only 450 km.
    NorNed is 580 Km

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/About-us/European-business-development/Interconnectors/norway/
    National Grid and Statnett, the Norwegian Transmission System Operator, has signed the ownership agreement which signals the start of the construction phase for the 730 kilometre interconnector between UK and Norway
    The interconnector will be the first electricity interconnector between the two countries and has a planned capacity of 1400 MW.
    More details, should be up and running by 2021.

Weren't there also plans for lots of renewables around the Channel Islands and using the links to France/UK as an interconnector as well

NorNed is 580 Km

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/About-us/European-business-development/Interconnectors/norway/
    More details, should be up and running by 2021.

Weren't there also plans for lots of renewables around the Channel Islands and using the links to France/UK as an interconnector as well

The cancer rates in Jersey are way above norm. They haven't pinned it down to the nearby French nuclear plant or the local granite* (radon).

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3033818

Norway could be a high capacity battery for Europe. Mountains, 97% of electricity in NO is hydro based. What comes down can be pumped back up to store energy.

Quote:

Why Kvilldal?

• Reliable power supply
    • Large hydropower reservoirs in the area. The capacity of the Blåsjø reservoir is the largest in the country, and could provide three years of full power production without any rain or snowfall
    • Very limited effects on the natural surroundings
    • Provides positive effects for the local community in terms of job opportunities for local contractors.
    • Shortest distance from a large power source in Norway to the UK
    • Kvilldal is home to Norway’s largest hydropower station and is one of Norway’s strongest grid points also with regards to the connected overhead line capacity.

unquote

Aurland, Gryta, Kvildall, Sima and Tonstad hydro power stations could alone provide over 5GW of storage regeneration capacity - which could run for years in the event of a freak windless / sunless period. EU funding might be able to double or treble Norway's hydro generation capacity. While France is largely a nuclear state, the Cote d'Azur gets its power from about 25 hydro stations in the Alps, and has very little connectivity with the rest of France. Spain also has untapped hydro capacity, especially in the Pyrenees. Austria too. Massive pumped storage capacity when combined.

We also need a single grid management platform for Europe. The Swiss confederation has Swissgrid https://www.swissgrid.ch/swissgrid/en/home.html which manages power from dozens of companies in the 26 cantons (ie countries - most of whom are republics) in Switzerland.

If Swissgrid had management control and responsibility for the entire European grid system, on an outsource basis, we would get a far better system than we have now, which was devised by incompetent, dozy, incompetent bureaucrats in Brussels and the various EU nation state politicians. Swissgrid prices electricity in EUR - not the local currency CHF - because it does so much energy transit business for the Eurozone.

http://nsninterconnector.com/locations/norway/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

One of about half a dozen I had previous posted and had ignored.
    Ignored? I just told you I read it?
    Most? Not all? Are you conceding that there's something going on in Poland?
    Apparently there is, but…
    As to Germany's neighbors, much of the problem arises from the ned to send wind power from windmills in the North to heavy users in the South and in Austria, to a lesser extent Italy. Being an educated renewables advocate that's all the time banging on about European supergrids, you are probably familiar with the current situation, or you should be. Nutshell: The Czech republic has similar problems to Poland but I don't think it's quite as bad for them, the Benelux countries aren't relevant to the North-South flow, and France just has a massively better system not just because of its massive nuclear but also it has significant hydroelectricity and even some pumped hydro all of which is extremely flexible and presumably can handle the crap going on to the East. I assume, though I could be wrong, that the Poles have none of this which is why they routinely have to engage in bizarre "pushback" procedures while the French do not. You can monitor the French grid in real time here.
    …as you allude to above, this seems to be a problem specific to Poland, which causes me to believe that the problem is the Polish grid, not German renewables.
    Re read the OP, even the thread title. It's all about the power "right now".
    Seems to me the OP is more concerned with greater interconnection – that was the main point that was being made.
    Could well be...
    I’ll take that as a yes. In absolute terms, Denmark’s energy sector is now producing about 40% less emissions than about twenty years ago – that’s an impressive reduction:

chart.png

http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/data-viewers/greenhouse-gases-viewer
    I assume the costs were affordable because…
    …it suits your argument to do so. The data is very scarce and conclusions are therefore difficult to reach, but you’re happy to assume that everything’s dandy.
    …obviously they were hence the presence of the reactors. I also assume this because every other large/industrialised nation was pursuing similar policies around the same time, though not to the same extent.
    Well that’s bizarre logic – it was built, so it must have been affordable? Funny how you don’t apply that logic to renewables, isn’t it?
    When nuclear power is run correctly (which by definition excludes the Soviet Union completely and to a lesser extent TEPCO in Japan), most of its costs are internalised, or paid for by an external patron as you allege occured in France. With nuclear operations, you have a uranium mine, milling/enrichment facilities, the plant itself, and storage for spent fuels. All of these have costs which must be paid. The waste that comes out is a solid, which must be accounted for, unlike fossil fuels which dump waste gasses into the air.
    There are no emissions associated with uranium mining and enrichment? No emissions associated with plant construction and decommissioning? No external costs associated with long-term waste storage?
    By the way, that crap will all have to be maintained after it is built.
    Perhaps you could list some things that don’t have to be maintained after they are built? Nuclear power plants just look after themselves, do they?
    I contend that the associated environmental costs for renewables are understated, and those of nuclear overstated, and primarily for dogmatic/ideological reasons.
    Well, no, it’s because you’re not using the same criteria to evaluate their respective environmental impacts.
    So was the OP! Re-read the title of this thread! This is the second time you've accused me of something that you've given the OP a pass for doing the exact same thing.
    The OP was making a very different point to the one you’re trying to make.
    How so?
    See the graph above.
    It's true that correlation does not imply causation. However, it just so happens that countries have gone down the Green rabbit hole have the highest power costs. Just a co-incidence?
    No, it’s obviously the cost of capital investment, isn’t it? How many times do you need this pointed out to you?

I’m curious, instead of investing heavily in renewables, how much would it have cost Denmark to go nuclear?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I’ll take that as a yes. In absolute terms, Denmark’s energy sector is now
    producing about 40% less emissions than about twenty years ago – that’s an
    impressive reduction:

chart.png

[/QUOTE]

Where is the evidence that wind energy is the main factor behind this reduction??. - firstly you are selective with your data points. The reduction is a mere 20% if you look at the start of the graph rather than a brief spike in the mid-90's. Secondly the recent recession,increasing energy efficiency across business/domestic sectors and the reduction in coal burning in favour of gas during the late 90's are emission reduction factors that those who push wind energy at any cost like to ignore.

http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.aspx?country=dk&product=gas&graph=consumption

http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.aspx?country=dk&product=coal&graph=consumption

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Where is the evidence that wind energy is the main factor behind this reduction??
    Where did I claim that it was?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Where is the evidence that wind energy is the main factor behind this reduction??. - firstly you are selective with your data points. The reduction is a mere 20% if you look at the start of the graph rather than a brief spike in the mid-90's. Secondly the recent recession,increasing energy efficiency across business/domestic sectors and the reduction in coal burning in favour of gas during the late 90's are emission reduction factors that those who push wind energy at any cost like to ignore.

That graph shows TOTAL emissions not the per watt ones.

It may surprise you to know that Denmark actually uses more energy than back in 1990 !

IES_2_2_2_DNK.png?&dataset[width]=375&dataset[height]=250&dataset[visible_columns]=0&dataset[graph_title]=Net%20Energy%20Consumption%20-%20Denmark
    https://www.quandl.com/collections/denmark/denmark-energy-data

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Power grid connectivity is a rolling issue. If Ireland was connected (with 5 to 10 GW of capacity) to several points in NW France grid, France in turn is connected to Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Spain.
    France only has limited connectivity to Spain, 2.8GW and half of that was only added last year.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-4463_en.htm

I was at an investment seminal recently and one speaker stated that the present cost of winding down the existing nuclear power program would exceed the entire GDP of the entire EU. Winding down costs included de-contamination, closure, making sure that kids don't play football on the grounds of old nuclear power plants, treatment and storage of nuclear waste etc.

They took an estimate of the future costs, year in, year out, and discounted them at the current ECB negative interest rate. If a positive interest rate ever arose (we have been negative or around zero in interest rates for the best part of a decade), the present total cost of these future cash outflows would fall somewhat.

It still leaves a frightening financial legacy into the future, and it shows what an appalling investment nuclear power is. You can add to that the sunken costs of building all these power plants and maintaining them up to now.

It puts the capital cost of renewables and storage of power together with quick starting peaking generation capacity into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

http://windenergy.ie/wind-live/

This minute approx 2289mw or 60% of the Island of Ireland's current electricity demand is being generated by wind power. I'm pretty impressed.

It may have peaked at 2319mw at 10.30am which can't be far off the record.

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#roi/wind

MAX WIND OUTPUT ALL TIME
    2,132 MW 28 JANUARY 2016, 22:00 (ROI)
    2,683 MW 28 JANUARY 2016, 21:45 (All Island)

On the subject of Nuclear the costs for Hinkley C are just insane.
    Even when you take into account that Hinkley produces more power than Sizewell, there's still a huge jump in cost. And nuclear doesn't have a habit of on-time , on budget, and that's before you factor in the costs of incomplete projects.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36160368
    Even if you stick with the expense of construction alone, though, the price is still high - the main contractor, EDF, puts it at £18bn ($26bn).
    In comparison, the UK's newest nuclear power station, Sizewell B, which was completed in 1995, only cost £2.3bn ($3.4bn), or £4.1bn ($6bn) at today's prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

http://www.dublinarray.com/project_news.html

Is Dublin array 100% happening? Looks like a great project if it is, up to 520mw!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Praetorian wrote: »
    http://windenergy.ie/wind-live/

This minute approx 2289mw or 60% of the Island of Ireland's current electricity demand is being generated by wind power. I'm pretty impressed.

It may have peaked at 2319mw at 10.30am which can't be far off the record.

What's the record low?
    At the moment (14:00) it's 215MW which is 4% of current demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

josip wrote: »
    What's the record low?

On Paddy's Day 2015 at 20.45 it produced 19MW. 0% of the total demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

josip wrote: »
    What's the record low?

Its often down to zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Praetorian wrote: »
    http://www.dublinarray.com/project_news.html

Is Dublin array 100% happening? Looks like a great project if it is, up to 520mw!

Tbh I can't see it happening, they have a gate connection for about 300MW tying into carrickmines 110 KV.
    It's 10km off killiney beach.

I was at an investment seminal recently and one speaker stated that the present cost of winding down the existing nuclear power program would exceed the entire GDP of the entire EU. Winding down costs included de-contamination, closure, making sure that kids don't play football on the grounds of old nuclear power plants, treatment and storage of nuclear waste etc.
    Only mainstream environmentalists want to wind down all the nuclear programmes ...
    It still leaves a frightening financial legacy into the future, and it shows what an appalling investment nuclear power is. You can add to that the sunken costs of building all these power plants and maintaining them up to now.

It puts the capital cost of renewables and storage of power together with quick starting peaking generation capacity into perspective.
    Yes, it does - if you assume that renewables are anything resembling cheap. Or that deploying them on such a mass scale would be as easy said as done. Or that it would be good for the environment. Unfortunately the evidence clearly demonstrates that none of this is so.

This infographic from the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change demonstrates part of the problem clearly:
    land_hinkley_infographic_source_flickr_decc_600_400.jpg
    (Image from) http://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk/news/industry_frustration_as_decc_hails_hinkley_at_expense_of_solar_and_wind

In order to generate the same power as what Hinkley Point C will hopefully generate (26TW/h per year) you would need to commit 130,000 acres to solar farms, or 250,000 acres to wind mills.

Another report indicates that to generate one sixth of the UKs energy needs, they would have to wallpaper all of Wales or an area of the same size, with windmills. That's right, the whole bloody country or an area the size of it, windmills covering the entire surface of it at maximum density.
    1. The cost of this would be obscene.
    2. Running costs would also be obscene becuase all the grid would be saturated with power sources that produce only when the weather is co-operating. There would be no guarantee that supply would have any relation to demand, except in the case of Northern climates, a guarantee that energy from solar panels and wind mills would produce least when power is needed most - i.e. on calm, cold, winter times when our need for energy is the greatest. The remainder of the grid, its other producers and consumers, would have to be able to compensate for every case from massive oversupply e.g. a breezy summers day when everyone decides to go to the beach, to a windless cold winter night when everyone's at home shivering by their electric heaters becuase it's -17C in an anti-cyclone. Nations like Germany can afford these costs, but their electricity is the 2nd most expensive in Europe and in the Top 15 globally, exceeded only by Green Denmark and remote Pacific island chains where power is expected to be massively expensive because its done by bringing small quantities of fuel long distances to small and inefficient markets and generators. It also helps that Germany can dump unplanned and unusable surplusses on its neighborts in Poland and that the Poles don't mind the potential for these surges potentially overpowering and crashing their grid.
    3. Even if dealing with the instability could be done, the only other type of power that is flexible enough to deal with all these problems is natural gas. But the greatest sources of natural gas in the world today are the biggest and most aggressive hellholes run by the worst of despots, like Russia and Qatar. Even excluding all of that, natural gas is the form of energy that is the least renewable, that is difficult to store, and the opportunity costs of wasting natural gas in stationary power plants are second only to those of oil, because gas can be used in home heating, transport, cooking and as a feedstock in some chemical processes. Things like uranium on the other hand could only otherwise be used in things like submarines, so not so much of an opportunity cost.
    4. The waste of resources would be obscene because solar panels normally require rare earth elements, and windmills, modern industrial wind mills are also absolutely massive, each one is multiple times the height of Dublin Spire for example with the blades comparable in length to multiple railway carriages. So the amount of steel and concrete required to wallpaper a country with windmills would be unimaginable.
    5. The environmental destruction caused by committing these resources and land use to renewables would be enormous - indeed there is already evidence that extreme and irreperable harm to wildlife is happening today. While some discussion has taken place into the effects of wind mills on birds, and mass bird kills by means of bird strikes, less discussed but almost as severe if not more so is the effect wind farming is having on Western bat populations, TLDR version if you haven't looked at this is that wind mills rival only White Nose Syndrome as an existential threat to bat populations in the Western world. Contrary to claims made in some quarters, renewables and wildlife are mutually incompatible, at least where wind is concerned. For example, in just one year (2012) and in just one country (the United States) wind turbines killed an estimated 600,000 - 900,000 bats. No nation can continue to bear such losses, let alone the United States whose bat population is already in grave danger of total destruction because of White Nose Syndrome. We cannot afford to drive bats to extinction because they provide invaluable service to humanity as a natural predator of bugs like mosquitos. Given that bats have a very slow reproductive cycle, any factor that causes mass mortality among them is a matter of the gravest possible concern.
    6. All of the above damage would be compounded by the enormous expansion in the power grid that would be required to carry all this intermittent and remotely generated power to its markets. This would also require electricity pylons comparable in scale to the Dublin Spire, and consume enormous quantites of steel to build and maintain the towers and wires. Again, the impact on the landscape and the quality of life of the people surrounded by the wiring would be obscene. Again, the effects on biodiversity could be severe. There are people out there that want to wallpaper Europe with such construction so as to help deal with the problems introduced by renewables.
    All of this, in my humble opinion, is crazy. What's even more crazy is that it is totally unnecessary - we already have clean, safe, alternative technologies that do not require any of the above, and are nearly carbon neutral. Technologies that despite their relative infancy (only been around since the mid-20th century) have already avoided enormous amounts of death from pollution and incomprehensible amounts of carbon dioxide emissions by producing power that would otherwise have had to have been produced from fossil fuels, much of that likely from coal. I am, as you can guess, speaking of atomic power.

Nuclear safety is also literally unparalelled, because when you compare how many people are killed by pollution and accidents per terawatt/hour produced, nuclear power is consistently at the bottom of the table.
    12-deaths-per-TWh-e1439383898100.jpg

But to be clear, nuclear fission is not a great option, just the best of a bad lot, and my support for it is conditional upon that fact. If someone does actually solve the energy question with something better, like this guy with plans for artificial photosynthesis, storing energy from sunlight into chemical fuels similar to petroleum, the game changes. If it is possible, for example, to cheaply make dense, liquid fuel from renewable sources like sunlight/artifical photosynthesis, then it would be feasible to generate energy in Greece in the summer time and use it in Ireland in the dead of winter to run home heating systems, cars etc, or in the U.S. to make vast quanties of petroleum-like fuels somewhere like Arizona and ship them to Alaska for all of the above and also for small scale electricity generators in small and remote settlements. If the equipment was cheap enough, it could also be used in remote but sunny places like certain Pacific islands, other small islands like Jamacia and the like where current power costs approach $1 per kwh.

The instant something that is actually better comes along, support for expanded atomic power becomes indefensible. But we don't have anything better yet, and it doesn't look like we're going to any time soon unless someone comes up with something seriously kick-ass like that guy from Cal-Tech above.
    http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#roi/wind

MAX WIND OUTPUT ALL TIME
    2,132 MW 28 JANUARY 2016, 22:00 (ROI)
    2,683 MW 28 JANUARY 2016, 21:45 (All Island)

On the subject of Nuclear the costs for Hinkley C are just insane.
    Even when you take into account that Hinkley produces more power than Sizewell, there's still a huge jump in cost. And nuclear doesn't have a habit of on-time , on budget, and that's before you factor in the costs of incomplete projects.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36160368
    Well, you said it yourself. In 1995 the British spent £2.3 billion on a power plant that has spent the last 20 years putting over 1GW onto the grid without much fuss, and in all weathers. And they fit all the necessary turbines into a single turbine hall.

You keep telling us how awful and horrible the EPR is and how expensive Hinkley C is, and how all the EPRs are a decade late and counting, yet have never explained why the French were able to roll out enough power plants to power a large country at reasonable cost and in a relatively rapid time frame (from seeing trouble in the oil crises of the 1970s to being almost entirely non-fossil powered by the late 1980s.
    600px-Electricity_in_France.svg.png
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_France

Clearly there is nothing inherently wrong with the technology, only at worst there has been some bad implementations.

Your comparison of Sizewell B to the problems at Hinkley C raises the same questions. What was working in 1995 with Sizewell B that isn't working today with the EPR?

Only mainstream environmentalists want to wind down all the nuclear programmes ...
    I believe the poster was referring to decommissioning, which has to happen at some point.
    Yes, it does - if you assume that renewables are anything resembling cheap.
    I can’t help but notice that in the massive wall of text and images you just produced, nowhere do you show nuclear to be a cost-effective option.
    Another report indicates that to generate one sixth of the UKs energy needs, they would have to wallpaper all of Wales or an area of the same size, with windmills.
    A University Physics Professor, who has written a book on the future of sustainable energy in the UK, has criticised the Telegraph for misrepresenting his arguments, even before the work has been published.

Asked why he thought the Telegraph had misrepresented him, Mackay suggested that the writer of the article had always intended to write an article opposing wind power, regardless of what his book said.

"I think this chap was already going to do an article on wind power and, being the Telegraph, I think they wanted to poo-poo it. His mindset was that he wanted to say some critical stuff."

Mackay's main criticism of the government's current energy policy, in fact, is that it is not nearly ambitious enough.
    http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/0001568-professor-slams-wind-farm-critics.html
    You keep telling us how awful and horrible the EPR is and how expensive Hinkley C is, and how all the EPRs are a decade late and counting, yet have never explained why the French were able to roll out enough power plants to power a large country at reasonable cost and in a relatively rapid time frame (from seeing trouble in the oil crises of the 1970s to being almost entirely non-fossil powered by the late 1980s.
    Seriously? This was covered earlier in this very thread:
    Why are you assuming they were more cost-effective in the past? The economics of the French nuclear programme was a closely-guarded state secret for many years. Using what limited data was made available in 2000, this paper has put the total cost of the French PWR programme at €230 billion, as of 1998:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421510003526

The above also notes that the capital costs associated with the French programme increased remarkably quickly – approximately 5% per annum – meaning the final cost far exceeded expectations. Another paper attributes the present day exorbitant costs of nuclear to the same high capital costs, largely owing to the fact that nuclear technology hasn't sufficiently advanced and tighter regulatory guidelines necessitate greater expense on design:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/030142159290006N
    Your response to the above was an utterly ridiculous, eyes-shut-tightly-with-fingers-firmly-in-ears style…
    I assume the costs were affordable because, obviously they were hence the presence of the reactors.

I believe the poster was referring to decommissioning, which has to happen at some point.
    The poster was referring to shutting everything down and disposing of all the relevant material. I advocate almost none of that. Old nuclear sites? Build new nuclear power plants on the same sites as previous ones. Spent fuel? reprocess it into new fuel. Re read the post: the poster explicitly referred to "winding down".
    I can’t help but notice that in the massive wall of text and images you just produced, nowhere do you show nuclear to be a cost-effective option.
    Actually, I didn't need to because the Captain did it for me with his talk of Sizewell B.

From the Captain's own post:
    Even if you stick with the expense of construction alone, though, the price is still high - the main contractor, EDF, puts it at £18bn ($26bn).
    In comparison, the UK's newest nuclear power station, Sizewell B, which was completed in 1995, only cost £2.3bn ($3.4bn), or £4.1bn ($6bn) at today's prices.
    Yes, in 1995, the UK spent £2.3 billion on a power plant that has spent the past 20 years generating 1.1GW of near-zero CO2 electricity, continuously regardless of the weather. Expensive, but clearly good value for money. Again, by the Captain's own claims, something happened since 1995 that makes new plants so much more expensive ... by his claims the EPR is nominally more than 6 times more expensive than Sizewell B, or just over 4 times on an inflation-adjusted basis. If it should be proven that the EPR does not work, then it seems to me like the thing for the UK to do is to simply build more Sizewell Bs.

I suspect the same thing happened in France in the '70s and '80s.
    Yes, note he did not claim that the Telegraph was in any way untruthful, only that it put a less than wind friendly spin on his findings. The article makes this clear - the professor agrees that it would be necessary to commit the windiest 10% of the UK landmass - an area roughly the size of Wales - to generate 1/6 of the UKs energy needs.

The professor simply thinks this is a good idea. I do not.
    Seriously? This was covered earlier in this very thread:
    Your response to the above was an utterly ridiculous, eyes-shut-tightly-with-fingers-firmly-in-ears style…
    I never claimed to have precise figures, but I had to wonder how a large country like France could go 90%+ non-fossil in such a short time, and not go bankrupt in the process, if the key plank in that plan was not affordable - and a time when there was no alarm about Anthrophogenic Climate Change and as such no perceived need to spend vast amounts of money on an oil alternative other than the 1970s oil crises. There are no other credible plans to 90%+ non-fossil barring some lame, half-baked plans to wallpaper the continent with solar panels, wind mills and monster pylons. Half-baked plans that would bankrupt us for sure, consume enormous amounts of resources, destroy our landscapes, exterminate our wildlife and possibly leave the whole system one unexpected weather event, power overload or long distance transmission cable snap away from systemic, continent-wide collapse.

Yet with Anthrophogenic Climate Change being billed as the biggest threat to the environment and civilisation in human history, very clearly signals that we have to stop using fossil fuels, and fast. That means we have to use alternatives that actually work. Nuclear advocates like myself can point to such alternatives with case studies. You can't.

20,984,110 mainstream environmentalists voted in a referendum against nuclear power in Italy.

In order to generate the same power as what Hinkley Point C will hopefully generate (26TW/h per year) you would need to commit 130,000 acres to solar farms, or 250,000 acres to wind mills.
    You still refuse to admit that wind turbines only take up a tiny fraction of the land upon which they stand ? Sheeps can still graze 'neath them

Another report indicates that to generate one sixth of the UKs energy needs, they would have to wallpaper all of Wales or an area of the same size, with windmills. That's right, the whole bloody country or an area the size of it, windmills covering the entire surface of it at maximum density.
    where does it say they are at maximum density ??
    the book quoted was from 2008 , turbines have gotten taller and so can harvest more wind from higher up , that is to say harvesting more power per acre.

Now the boffins in Oz have magicked up new non-concentrated solar panels that are 34.5% efficient. No they haven't been commercialised yet. But then again neither have the EPR's (2025 for Hinkey maybe) . CBA digging out the figures but I'm guessing that the solar farm you quoted is based on panels only a third as efficient, so the area is drastically reduced. Go to southern Italy or Spain and there are panels on roofs and disused land, not so many on good farmland because only scaremongers would propose that.

[/QUOTE][*]The waste of resources would be obscene because solar panels normally require rare earth elements, and windmills, modern industrial wind mills are also absolutely massive, each one is multiple times the height of Dublin Spire for example with the blades comparable in length to multiple railway carriages. So the amount of steel and concrete required to wallpaper a country with windmills would be unimaginable.[/quote]please stop hand waving. For a start rare earths aren't rare. Wind turbines can be carbon neutral in months. Most of the cost of steel and concrete is in energy.

Compare that to nuclear power plants. HUGE inputs of concrete and steel for years and years before you get a single watt of power. And that's before the extra resources for fixing design flaws and building sea walls and decommissioning.

Wind turbine blades are usually made from composites. Rare earths are just used for magnets. It makes generators a little more efficient, if they didn't exist they could be replaced by electro magnets using some of the generate electricity. After all that's what happens in Nuclear and other thermal and Hydro power plants.

Solar panels. There are so many different technologies out there. Some are based on dyes. Others on cheap common substrates like zinc. Others use gallium and arsenic. Silicon is used by a common type with parts per billion additives. Silicon isn't all that rare. Silicon dioxide represents something like 2/3rd's of the Earth's crust.

Nuclear safety is also literally unparalelled,
    But to be clear, nuclear fission is not a great option, just the best of a bad lot, and my support for it is conditional upon that fact.
    What is the financial cost of Fukushima ? What is the value of the land and buildings in the exclusion ?

I put it to you that the nuclear industry still has a mantra of "Trust us we know what we are doing" , and still keeps spouting that claptrap even though their lack of competence was proven with the problem of Xenon poisoning which should have been detected back in 1944 had they bothered to test the reactor for an extended time like General Groves told then to do. But they knew what they were doing. Anyone who believes that the bomb ended the war needs to realise that it could have been ready months earlier. But over 70 years later EDF are still demonstrating they can't handle basics like quality control.

Well, you said it yourself. In 1995 the British spent £2.3 billion on a power plant that has spent the last 20 years putting over 1GW onto the grid without much fuss, and in all weathers. And they fit all the necessary turbines into a single turbine hall.
    Clearly there is nothing inherently wrong with the technology, only at worst there has been some bad implementations.

Your comparison of Sizewell B to the problems at Hinkley C raises the same questions. What was working in 1995 with Sizewell B that isn't working today with the EPR?
    Some 'bad implementations' ? The technology is very, very simple.

If you put enough fissile material in one place it gets hot.
    You can reduce the amount of heat by using boron or cadmium rods to adsorb surplus neutrons. And that is pretty much all there is to it.

Getting electricity from heat using steam turbines is a 19th century technology. One of the hard bits is building a pressure cooker to keep the reactor in. Or at least it's hard for EDF given the problems they've had with them so far.

EDF have had 0 EPR's implemented.
    You have to understand that the 1970's was a long time ago. The decision makers and engineers have long since retired. And there has been precious little innovation in nuclear since. And there sure hasn't been any reduction in cost.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-17/edf-s-credibility-hangs-on-hinkley-point-u-k-minister-says
    EDF has delayed until September its final investment decision on Hinkley Point C, the world’s most expensive power station, marking a setback for a project that was originally due to be completed in 2017. The latest date for commissioning is 2025,
    2025 take that with a pinch of salt.

BTW France is looking into tidal turbines on their path to reducing nuclear to 50% or less. http://www.power-technology.com/news/newssecond-tidal-turbine-edf-paimpol-brhat-project-inaugurated-4895125

http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/germany-raises-renewable-bar-again--clean-energy-meets-nearly-100-of-demand_100024618/#axzz493PtwDzh
    Also
    Sunday once again a record-breaker for Germany's renewable energy sector, with wind and solar contributing to 45.5 GW of renewable capacity to meet demand of 45.8 GW.

The poster was referring to shutting everything down and disposing of all the relevant material. I advocate almost none of that. Old nuclear sites? Build new nuclear power plants on the same sites as previous ones. Spent fuel? reprocess it into new fuel.
    All of which incur significant costs.
    Yes, note he did not claim that the Telegraph was in any way untruthful…
    You and I obviously have very different definitions of “misrepresented”.
    …only that it put a less than wind friendly spin on his findings.
    Which is presumably why you cited it.
    I never claimed to have precise figures…
    You apparently don’t have any figures.
    …but I had to wonder how a large country like France could go 90%+ non-fossil in such a short time, and not go bankrupt in the process, if the key plank in that plan was not affordable…
    Strawman - nobody has claimed that France could not afford anything.
    There are no other credible plans to 90%+ non-fossil barring some lame, half-baked plans to wallpaper the continent with solar panels, wind mills and monster pylons. Half-baked plans that would bankrupt us for sure, consume enormous amounts of resources, destroy our landscapes, exterminate our wildlife and possibly leave the whole system one unexpected weather event, power overload or long distance transmission cable snap away from systemic, continent-wide collapse.
    I eagerly await your sources to support all of the above.

I suspect I will be waiting some time.

Old nuclear sites? Build new nuclear power plants on the same sites as previous ones.
    Eventually you end up with sites like
    Calder Hall/Windscale/Sellafield last year the clean up cost for that site jumped another £5Bn to £53Bn

The clean up cost for the Hanford site in the US had dropped to $107.7 billion.
    This doesn't include the $19Bn they have already spent on the storage tanks. Great value when you consider they haven't treated any of the stuff and it's still leaking.

IMHO I expect the cost of these sites to go up. And in both cases every years delay is increasing the clean up cost by billions.

By the way when you see costs in the billions you can assume that there's lots of carbon inputs in energy , concrete, steel.

Spent fuel? reprocess it into new fue
    At one point 7% of the electricity produced in the USA was used in isotope separation.

Reprocessing isn't used everywhere because it's more expensive than natural uranium, and the main input is energy so a vicious circle. according to this you only get 25-30% more energy , and I'm guessing that isn't a nett figure. It looks like the main benefit is a reduction in the volume and cost of waste disposal. Again a reminder that Finland is the country with a proper waste solution in place.

Most others like the UK just store the waste on site. Which is where we came in with the eggs in one basket approach. A repeat of the 1607 floods would affect both the Hinkley and Oldbury sites which makes moving the waste between them a moot point. Doubly so because the waste ended up at Berkley . Guess what happened to the Berkley site in 1607 ?

Some news recently: Ireland's PSO levy on electricity users is going up again, this time by 35%. This is on top of Ireland's already near Europe leading electricity costs. Again, guess what's responsible? Green energy, and the need to provide "capacity" (i.e. backup for wind mills).
    http://www.businesspost.ie/consumers-face-hikes-in-electricity-bills-due-to-higher-green-energy-levy/

This is on top of an 85% increase last year.
    20,984,110 mainstream environmentalists voted in a referendum against nuclear power in Italy.
    You start out with a fallacy "Argumentum Ad Populum" a.k.a. the Bandwagon fallacy. Nice.
    You still refuse to admit that wind turbines only take up a tiny fraction of the land upon which they stand ? Sheeps can still graze 'neath them
    Sheep? Yeah, because no-one else would want to live or do anything near the monstrosities - the visual impact of which is magnified by the need to put them on mountaintops - if they can avoid it. Seriously, what do you think wallpapering a country will do to a country's tourism sector, bat population, human quality of life etc?
    the book quoted was from 2008 , turbines have gotten taller and so can harvest more wind from higher up , that is to say harvesting more power per acre.
    Great. They can cause even more visual pollution, cause even more messed up air pressure over a wider area to kill more bats, and cause even more variability in electricity supply. Yippee-ki-freakin-yay :rolleyes:
    Now the boffins in Oz have magicked up new non-concentrated solar panels that are 34.5% efficient. No they haven't been commercialised yet.
    Doesn't matter if they make them a bajillion percent efficient. They won't produce power after sunset, and they won't produce power when a cold climate like ours needs it most - in the winter. In fact, no matter how you make a solar panel, it will always produce the most power when it is least needed and produce the least power when it is most needed. Without storage, it's useless.
    Compare that to nuclear power plants. HUGE inputs of concrete and steel for years and years before you get a single watt of power. And that's before the extra resources for fixing design flaws and building sea walls and decommissioning.
    But while the plant works, it provides massive amounts of power, on a predictable basis, and regardless of the weather. BTW are you seriously suggesting that wallpapering a small country with solar panels, massive windmills, ruinous over-expansion of the power grid to facilitate all of this would be less resource intensive than building a glorified industrial plant on < 100 acres?
    I put it to you that the nuclear industry still has a mantra of "Trust us we know what we are doing"
    My evidence of France's switch to nuclear power inthe 70s and 80s, not to mention the evidence you provided relating to Sizewell B, suggest that this is true, or at the absolute minimum was true in the 20th century.

The only people using the mantra "Trust us we know what we are doing" is the mainstream environmental movement, who wants to wallpaper the 1st world with power lines, bat killing, bird chomping, subsidy guzzling monstrosities they call wind farms, and solar panels that may be useful in regions where air-conditioning is the biggest source of electricity demand but are useless everywhere else ...
    EDF have had 0 EPR's implemented.
    I'm not advocating EPRs. Not in Ireland, not anywhere if it can't be done right. A few more Sizewell Bs on the other hand ...
    BTW France is looking into tidal turbines on their path to reducing nuclear to 50% or less. http://www.power-technology.com/news/newssecond-tidal-turbine-edf-paimpol-brhat-project-inaugurated-4895125
    Your article doesn't even say how big the plant being inaugurated is in terms of MWs, and certainly does not say anything about the cost per kwh necessary to make it financially viable. I'm also willing to speculate that these types of plants could cause the same kind of ecological destruction in the waters near our coastlines and windmills cause to birds and bats in the air. One obvious question - how do you stop the things from killing aquatic life?
    Wonderful. How many German coal power plants were taken offline during this near 100% burst of supply? How far into unsustainable negative territory did this burst push wholesale prices? We know that other plants would have had to remain online because they could have been needed at any time and are not flexible enough to start and stop in tune with weather based renewables.

I would also wonder how much extra CO2 was emitted by the Polish grid, because as I showed previously, when Germany over-produces electricity (as they do routinely), they dump it on the Poles who then have to (counter-intuitively) ramp up their own power plants to push back the unsuable surplus.

The message in all this should be clear - producing too much power is as bad as producing too little. Power sources that are literally out of control are a hinderance, not a help, to a well functioning grid.
    You and I obviously have very different definitions of “misrepresented”.
    The original author laid out the facts. Another party noticed that the facts didn't support the narritive. Pointed it out. Original author cried "mis-representation". End of story.
    Which is presumably why you cited it.
    What a strange charge - you accusing me of citing a report to back up my argument? :confused:
    Strawman - nobody has claimed that France could not afford anything.
    If you can afford something, it is by definition affordable. You disputed my claim that the original French nuclear program was affordable, despite the fact that it was clearly afforded. I recognise of course that by this logic, the current green insanity is also affordable, but would counter by questioning whether it is wise to continue.
    The clean up cost for the Hanford site in the US had dropped to $107.7 billion.
    This doesn't include the $19Bn they have already spent on the storage tanks. Great value when you consider they haven't treated any of the stuff and it's still leaking.
    You do realise that the Hanford Site was primarily used for nuclear WEAPONS research? Another thing I am not advocating.
    At one point 7% of the electricity produced in the USA was used in isotope separation.
    Sources? And what precisely do you mean by "isotope separation" the USA does not use nuclear fuel reprocessing. Also, is this work flexible, e.g. could it be during, oh, say, periods of negative wholesale energy prices?

One last question - since it has been admitted that the current green energy plan requires a European supergrid, how would you prevent a repeat of the 2006 continent-wide blackouts? These were caused by a PLANNED outage of a single power line. Given that you would have greater imbalances between production and demand in virtually all regions, what would prevent a failure of the supergrid from causing a cascading failure of electricity supply continent wide? How, for example would you protect all this new infrastructure from terrorism, which is a greater threat now than it was in previous decades and will only get worse?

Seriously, what do you think wallpapering a country will do to a country's tourism sector, bat population, human quality of life etc?
    Nobody's suggesting we "wallpaper" anything.
    … cause even more messed up air pressure over a wider area to kill more bats…
    You keep banging on about this, even though it has been pointed out to you several times that (a) every form of power generation has an impact on wildlife and (b) it is possible to mitigate those impacts.
    …they won't produce power when a cold climate like ours needs it most - in the winter.
    Of course they will.
    In fact, no matter how you make a solar panel, it will always produce the most power when it is least needed and produce the least power when it is most needed. Without storage, it's useless.
    Because nobody needs electricity in the summer? Really?

Why is the UAE investing in solar power on such a large scale then?
    But while the plant works, it provides massive amounts of power, on a predictable basis, and regardless of the weather. BTW are you seriously suggesting that wallpapering a small country with solar panels, massive windmills, ruinous over-expansion of the power grid to facilitate all of this would be less resource intensive than building a glorified industrial plant on < 100 acres?
    How about you produce some figures to demonstrate that nuclear is less “resource intensive”?
    My evidence of France's switch to nuclear power inthe 70s and 80s…
    …is thirty to forty years out of date.
    The only people using the mantra "Trust us we know what we are doing" is the mainstream environmental movement, who wants to wallpaper the 1st world with power lines, bat killing, bird chomping, subsidy guzzling monstrosities they call wind farms, and solar panels that may be useful in regions where air-conditioning is the biggest source of electricity demand but are useless everywhere else ...
    And yet, the contribution of renewables to global electricity generation continues to grow at pace – 145 GW were added globally last year.
    I'm also willing to speculate…
    Yeah, you’re quite good at that.

Not so good at evidence-based analysis, unfortunately.
    I would also wonder how much extra CO2 was emitted by the Polish grid, because as I showed previously, when Germany over-produces electricity (as they do routinely), they dump it on the Poles who then have to (counter-intuitively) ramp up their own power plants to push back the unsuable surplus.
    No, what you showed previously was that the Polish grid is in dire need of modernising – nothing to do with German energy production.
    What a strange charge - you accusing me of citing a report to back up my argument?
    You didn’t cite a report. You cited the Telegraph’s interpretation of a report. Not the same thing.
    You disputed my claim that the original French nuclear program was affordable…
    No I didn’t.
    One last question - since it has been admitted that the current green energy plan requires a European supergrid, how would you prevent a repeat of the 2006 continent-wide blackouts? These were caused by a PLANNED outage of a single power line. Given that you would have greater imbalances between production and demand in virtually all regions, what would prevent a failure of the supergrid from causing a cascading failure of electricity supply continent wide?
    They key word there is “planned”.
    How, for example would you protect all this new infrastructure from terrorism, which is a greater threat now than it was in previous decades and will only get worse?
    You’re using terrorism as an argument against renewables and for nuclear? It’s getting increasingly difficult to take your posts seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think it's amazing that the anti-wind turbines heads think nuclear would be acceptable to many people in Ireland.

Advertisement