Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster vs Dragons; Kingspan Park. Live TV ar TG 4 and BBC 2NI

Options
  • 05-02-2016 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭

Ulster: L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave, S Olding, J Stockdale; I Humphreys, R Pienaar; C Black, R Herring (capt), R Lutton; A O'Connor, P Browne; R Diack, S Reidy, R Wilson.

Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, B Ross, C Ross, N Williams, P Marshall, P Jackson, R Scholes.

Dragons: C Meyer, A Hewitt, A Hughes, A Warren, H Amos, A O'Brien, C Davies; P Price, E Dee, B Harris, M Screech, R Landman (c), B White, N Cudd, E Jackson.

Replacements (16-23): R Buckley, B Stankovich, S Knight, C Hill, J Benjamin, S Pretorius, G R Jones, N Scott.

A win in this rearranged game could see Ulster go on top of the Pro 12 tonight against the Newport Gwent Dragons. In spite of the weekends international, the home team field rather a strong team that's boosted with the return of Pienaar and Paddy Jackson, the latter confined to the bench just in case along with in form winger Rory Scholes who nurses a slight thigh strain.

The visitors are bereft of several of their regular first choicers as well. The return of Welsh 3/4 Hallam Amos from the panel for Dublin ensures the last 5/8 line that beat Leinster at home last week but a new half back partnership and several changes in the pack may be asking a little too much for an away win.

My verdict is a bonus point win for Ulster, 35-18.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Really looking forward to seeing how Stockdale gets on as well as Olding's continued return. Ulster really should have far too much on the field and off the bench to win this comfortably.

Whilst discussing this game, well done Irish rugby for managing to schedule the kick off in this game and the U20 6N game for precisely the same time. I'm sure the television stations would have been more than happy to move one of the games forward/backwards by 40 minutes to allow people to watch the majority of both as well as increasing their own audience.

The fact that it's Irish vs Welsh teams in both fixtures makes it even more moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Buer wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing how Stockdale gets on as well as Olding's continued return. Ulster really should have far too much on the field and off the bench to win this comfortably.

Whilst discussing this game, well done Irish rugby for managing to schedule the kick off in this game and the U20 6N game for precisely the same time. I'm sure the television stations would have been more than happy to move one of the games forward/backwards by 40 minutes to allow people to watch the majority of both as well as increasing their own audience.

The fact that it's Irish vs Welsh teams in both fixtures makes it even more moronic.

I tend to agree as next week Wales Under 20's game vs Scotland is scheduled for 6.30pm and Scarlets vs Edinburgh for 8.15pm. I well remember a number of years ago going to Ulster vs Cardiff at Ravenhill on a Friday night for a 9.00pm KO to suit television!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There is a wee rumour on uafc that McCloskey will be replacing Scholes on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Tonight's game is a rearranged fixture and free dates aren't too plentiful so you take what you get, to some extent. One of the Pro 12 games early in the year was moved to 6PM to avoid a clash and there was still people giving out :)

Besides that, I'm not in tonight and and am recording both games so it doesn't affect me :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can't wait for this, we should win comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tonight's game is a rearranged fixture and free dates aren't too plentiful so you take what you get, to some extent. One of the Pro 12 games early in the year was moved to 6PM to avoid a clash and there was still people giving out :)

Dates are fine. U20 games are always on a Friday night as are the vast majority of Ulster home games. There's nothing to stop the powers that be scheduling one game for 7.05pm and the second for 7.45pm, though.

Both are after 7pm and offer adequate time for supporters to get to the ground. It would also allow viewers at home to watch all of one game and about 50 minutes of the other. As it stands, it's one or the other with no middle ground.

It seems to be very poor planning on the part of the authorities.

awec wrote: »
    Can't wait for this, we should win comfortably.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm looking forward to this more than the Ireland game at the minute (although I'm sure I'll come round - there is a nice vid of Tim Peake on the Space Station previewing the 6Ns on the BBC website which may get your juices flowing a bit). Anyway I digress, as Buer says it will be good to get a good look at Jacob Stockdale and hopefully we see a bit of Olding magic. I'd love to see a midfield of Jackson, McCloskey (if the rumours are true) and Olding in the second half.

The question is can the pack front up. I'm a bit worried about the set piece, especially given it is pishing out of the Heavens up here at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Agreed - also going to miss the Sharks vs Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Did I just see McCloskey out on the pitch there wearing a bib?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Got to be the biggest game of the weekend. C'mon Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

The weekend starts here. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Lively start from Dragons! 3 points to the good already.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Possibility of seeing McCloskey alongside Olding tonight? Maybe?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Did I just see McCloskey out on the pitch there wearing a bib?

Yes released to bench for Ulster

Olding reminds me of BOD, first the burst of,pace to get through the tackle and then the wee grubber. Just a joy to watch.

Lovely take by gilroy

Hewitt has some wheels. How many Ulster players did he get past there?

Great counter attack by Dragons. Deserves a try.

Poor tackle from Stockdale in the middle of that.

Wow - what a conversion. 0-10 .....wasn't expecting this!

• Advertisement

Good try

Feck me Stockdale is HUGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

I love how much Olding gets over the gainline despite 'lack of bulk'. Just seems to hit defenders weak side always

Ah lovely try by Reidy!

That was a great show of patience in that build up to the try. Good work by Reidy to finish as well.

More like it!

Nice kick from iHumph!

At last they get something for all that possession. Nice finish by reidy

Entertaining stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've been impressed with Reidy.

Advertisement