Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a treadmill to get fit

Options
  • 04-02-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping i'm posting in the right place, if not please tell me, but would like to get some advice on here from people that know best.

Looking for a treadmill, especially with the weather & rain at a moments notice, i'd rather have one at home in my own ease, also i want to get it for my mum as well, as she's retired as a care worker & would rather keep on her feet, than retire :)

Has anyone got one out of Argos, as i don't see many reviews there, saw a few, although 1st one was dearer than normal, but that's probably the name your paying for?

I was looking at Argos:

(1) WOW Everlast Smart XV8 Treadmill 481/7309 -
    • Less Than Half Price
    • €474.99
    • was €974.99

(2) Pro Fitness Motorised Folding Treadmill 460/5250
    • Save Over €57.00
    • €317.49
    • was €374.99
    • Running surface size L1200, W400cm.

(3) Pro Fitness Treadmill with Built In Speaker. 331/7226
    • €374.98
    • Running surface size L121, W42cm (Is that right?)

At the moment, i'm veering towards the 2nd one, as why would i want a speaker on no.3?

But any opinions would be gladly received,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi,

I'm hoping i'm posting in the right place, if not please tell me, but would like to get some advice on here from people that know best.

Looking for a treadmill, especially with the weather & rain at a moments notice, i'd rather have one at home in my own ease, also i want to get it for my mum as well, as she's retired as a care worker & would rather keep on her feet, than retire :)

Has anyone got one out of Argos, as i don't see many reviews there, saw a few, although 1st one was dearer than normal, but that's probably the name your paying for?

I was looking at Argos:

(1) WOW Everlast Smart XV8 Treadmill 481/7309 -
    • Less Than Half Price
    • €474.99
    • was €974.99

(2) Pro Fitness Motorised Folding Treadmill 460/5250
    • Save Over €57.00
    • €317.49
    • was €374.99
    • Running surface size L1200, W400cm.

(3) Pro Fitness Treadmill with Built In Speaker. 331/7226
    • €374.98
    • Running surface size L121, W42cm (Is that right?)

At the moment, i'm veering towards the 2nd one, as why would i want a speaker on no.3?

But any opinions would be gladly received,

Thanks.

But a cheap non motorised one. No motors or electronics to break and it'll do the exact same thing as any Big fancy motorised one

you'd be better off buying a decent 2nd hand one than a flimsy new one.
    the maximum top speed is a usually a good indicator of how well built a treadmill is, even if you'll never need to go that speed. ones that fold away are usually flimsy.

http://www.adverts.ie/treadmills/everlast-bluetooth-everfit-xv10-treadmill/9789790

seems sturdy and decently reviewed.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/everlast-bluetooth-everfit-xv10-treadmill-327867#BVRatingsAnchor

bargain down a bit.

don't buy a treadmill unless you can spare the space of it being where you're going to keep it. that's the reason lots of them are for sale secondhand.

by the way a bit of wind and /or rain is no reason not to get outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

glasso wrote: »
    you'd be better off buying a decent 2nd hand one than a flimsy new one.
    the maximum top speed is a usually a good indicator of how well built a treadmill is, even if you'll never need to go that speed. ones that fold away are usually flimsy.

http://www.adverts.ie/treadmills/everlast-bluetooth-everfit-xv10-treadmill/9789790

seems sturdy and decently reviewed.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/everlast-bluetooth-everfit-xv10-treadmill-327867#BVRatingsAnchor

bargain down a bit.

don't buy a treadmill unless you can spare the space of it being where you're going to keep it. that's the reason lots of them are for sale secondhand.

by the way a bit of wind and /or rain is no reason not to get outside...

Thanks for advice all,

Looks like someone already bargained down , as they bought it :P
    It's gonna go in my mum's spare room & it's mostly for her & she asked me advice on one, as she's thinking of a new one would last longer & some comeback on it, & looks like a lot of guarantees & warranties with the Everlast one (featured on ArgosUK)

The reviews look good there on the homebase site as well as ArgosUK, as none on IE site, i don't think i've ever seen a review there?

But thought there was only reviews on the link you provided, but i see there are reviews on the one i looked at as well & it's £200 dearer!

Although the one in ArgosUK will probably be cheaper when you convert it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hi,

Please don't buy a treadmill or ankle socks.

Running stationary indoors in a small confined place on a treadmill is a really horrible experience and you will end up giving the whole thing up as soon as you get bored of it, which won't take long.

Run outdoors and don't buy anything except running gear.

Regards,

C-X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hi,

Please don't buy a treadmill or ankle socks.

Running stationary indoors in a small confined place on a treadmill is a really horrible experience and you will end up giving the whole thing up as soon as you get bored of it, which won't take long.

Run outdoors and don't buy anything except running gear.

Regards,

C-X.

• Advertisement

I'd advise a gym membership to be honest.

I find that gyms tend to use decent quality stuff and get them serviced regularly enough (the tracks need lubricating every now and again and that kinda thing).

I was seriously considering a treadmill for a while, but I joined a gym for a month one time and googled the treadmills they had.

I cant recall the brand name off the top of my head, but they were retailing at approx €1,500 each online, and to be honest, whilst they were a decent enough treadmill, they weren't amazing.

Similarly, i had a membership at an aura before (im not sure if all Aura gyms use the same gear or not). I can't think of the brand name, but if someone posts the name im sure it'll ring a bell (yellow logo i think. Think the word 'life' is in the name somewhere). Anyway, the treadmills they have are excellent, responsive, can take a pounding and are the kind of thing you'd really want to have. I think they retailed (when I googled them) at about 4-5k each (Im sure aura bought in bulk and got discount etc).

So based on those experiences, my instinct is to think that anything that's selling for a couple of hundred euro is possibly not worth buying, especially if you can get a gym membership for a cheaper price and can use it as you please without having to take up space, worry about maintenance, etc.

(I do realise a gym membership is an obvious option and there's probably a reason it doesn't suit you, but i just wanted to throw my observation out there).

Advertisement