Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BODY FAT % Testing

Options
  • 04-02-2016 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Is there any where in Dublin doing these apart from DCU and UCD. Or is there a home measure that is slightly near accurate that can be done. I bought calipers before but they were way off on estimates

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I think you can buy scales that send electrcomagnetic pulses through the body to estimate body fat percentage vs muscle mass, but I have no idea how accurate these are.

Would have thought calipers are the best way , but it's down to the skill of the person using them.

Mirror, hard work and time is probably thr best judge for us normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Those scales aren't great. I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

kod12 wrote: »
    Is there any where in Dublin doing these apart from DCU and UCD. Or is there a home measure that is slightly near accurate that can be done. I bought calipers before but they were way off on estimates

Thanks in advance

If you have a set of calipers do your own measurements in your 'fattest' places, along with some tape measurements/scale weight, and compare bi-weekly/monthly, you don't need an actual % unless it's for a specific reason? Every method has its own inaccuracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

You sound like you want a dexascan or similar?

I would say that the result is just a number - we all want lower but at this stage tbh I go with the mirror - I just need a leaner mirror at this stage! LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I would say that the result is just a number - we all want lower but at this stage tbh I go with the mirror - I just need a leaner mirror at this stage! LoL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

The Guvnor wrote: »

plus most people just want a number to compare to others

I personally couldnt and havent tested my body fat in years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Transform wrote: »
    plus most people just want a number to compare to others

I personally couldnt and havent tested my body fat in years

Yes but us people with six packs don't need to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,102 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kod12 wrote: »
    I bought calipers before but they were way off on estimates

Calipers probably weren't off. If it measures 25mm then what you measured was 25mm.
    But you probably weren't using it right to convert to BF%. But that doesn't matter.

Stick with the calipers.
    Pick your two problem area. The ones you want to change, or the ones carrying the most. Measure with the calipers, write down the mm and your done. Come back in a month and measure the same area, if the mm's are decreasing, then you are losing fat.

That way, it doesn't matter if you aren't measuring exactly the correct site to convert to bf%. Nor does it matter if your technique is off, as long as it's consistent.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    To be honest, Dexascans aren't even incredibly accurate, in a real world sense.
    Plus their can be variation between manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

cheers for all the replies much appreciated

Advertisement