Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Zamboni wrote: »
    the Social Democrats have claimed and proven they are supporters by voting for the removal of Section 7.3(c) of the Equal Status Act 2000 last year and campaiging for pro-choice...
    I'd have loved a Social Democrat candidate here though.
    smacl wrote: »
    In the absence of any social democrats in the area
    Shrap wrote: »
    I've no SD candidates here either.
    human 19 wrote: »
    There are no soc dems in my constituency, but..
    Everybody seems to have lot of faith in these "social democrats" but I'm inclined to think they won't be a party for very long. Their views are very disparate, with Shortall being ex-Labour and Donnelly being FG in all but name. There is no point Donnelly joining FG though, as Wicklow returned 3 FG TDs last time, and there's probably only room for 2 this time, even without him.
    I'm assuming they get some state funding or extra Dail speaking time by calling themselves a party? As opposed to being independents.

I'll have the chance to vote for Stephen Donnelly who is a SD candidate, but I won't be doing it.
    When Shortall proposed removal of Section 7.3(c) of the Equal Status Act, Donnelly, didn't even bother showing up for the vote.

Here he is proudly wrangling state money to buy convent lands from the nuns, for a convent school founded by the same nuns, whose running costs are paid for by the state, but whose ethos is still under religious control afterwards.
    So, no net change overall, except for a large transfer of public money over to the religious order.

Then I emailed him several times over the issue of another new secondary school built by Dept of Education, and handed over to CoI patronage, which promptly introduced religious discrimination as part of its admission policy, in blatant violation of the terms under which it originally tendered for the patronage. No response from Donnelly;not interested.

Well he can f**k off now. It'll be very tight for him this time, and hopefully the loss of my vote will make the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I can understand your frustration at not getting a response.
    But this is one guy that has effectively no resources behind him.
    He is disgusted that he had to baptise his own kids to get them into a school.

And to be fair, FG hate this guy. An articulate politician in a suit who can tear gaping holes in their economic policys that isn't a Sinn Feiner or an AAA :pac:

Zamboni wrote: »
    I can understand your frustration at not getting a response.
    No need to misrepresent it as a personal insult kind of thing. I mentioned several genuine issues there. I don't care whether I get a personal response. I care about actions, they speak louder than words.

As the inimitable Christopher Hitchens said "The only people truly bound by election promises are the voters who believe them."
    But this is one guy that has effectively no resources behind him.
    TD's salary, secretarial allowances etc and heres a list of further allowances produced by none other than Catherine Murphy of the same party.

IMO if politicians got less financial reward we would have a much better class of candidate to choose from. People who aren't just in the game for the money.
    He is disgusted that he had to baptise his own kids to get them into a school.
    Yeah right. AFAIK he returned from abroad around 2008, the same year as the local ET primary school first opened (no thanks to him) And he has been a big supporter of the RC school, as already mentioned, by giving a lot of your money to the nuns, so that they would not take away the kids playground. Not that there was much chance of that happening anyway; they just wanted a few bob and saw their chance to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I do like the sound of Social Democrats I have to say - they are basically what Labour Party SHOULD be
    their policy promises are just promises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

there policy promises are just promises

Just like everyone else's are too. Jesus, they'll say anything :mad:* Give em a few years in opposition to hopefully come out with a clear mandate and some rational policies and I'd say they could be in with a chance of changing something. We're all looking for change, amirite? Well, we sure as fcuk aren't going to find it in the two parties of "effers" we usually have.

* Had a good neighbour of mine around here today, bringing one of the FG candidate's sidekicks around to shake the hands and hand out the leaflets. Tried telling me he'd done a lot for the school. "So have I", says I, and then launched into my prepared speech about the 96% RCC state schooling. Was expecting them to promise to fix the 10 new potholes that the council digger made last week, but I may have driven them off too quickly so sadly I didn't have the chance to reply with "Yes, but what can you do for me......I mean, the country? :rolleyes:". What a steaming pile of gobsh1tery this place is, grrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Shrap wrote: »
    * Had a good neighbour of mine around here today, bringing one of the FG candidate's sidekicks around to shake the hands and hand out the leaflets. Tried telling me he'd done a lot for the school. "So have I", says I, and then launched into my prepared speech about the 96% RCC state schooling. Was expecting them to promise to fix the 10 new potholes that the council digger made last week, but I may have driven them off too quickly so sadly I didn't have the chance to reply with "Yes, but what can you do for me......I mean, the country? :rolleyes:". What a steaming pile of gobsh1tery this place is, grrrr.
    Maybe open with the potholes next time? Seems like something a local TD might exert some influence on without consulting the whip anyways....

Absolam wrote: »
    Maybe open with the potholes next time? Seems like something a local TD might exert some influence on without consulting the whip anyways....

I was trying not to open with cynicism, but yes, that's kind of my point :( The poor side-kick looked like she was about to cry already though, so getting sardonic with her would have been a cruelty too far....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spotted that Paddy (I hate marriage equality) Manning is running in Carlow/Kilkenny, he's been busy putting up posters in the last few days.
    He's totally against repeal the 8th (surprise, surprise!)

Here's a few of his positions:
    Yes, I will canvass outside the church gates of all faiths, respectfully and on public property. I believe in a pluralist republic, not a faith hostile secular state, the right to life from conception to death, the right of parents to educate their children in their own faith or non faith.
    Politicians should not make those choices for us, you know better.
    Your politicians think its green to make poor people pay so rich people with electric cars can have free electricity. We must have the abolition of all the subsidies which make your electricity bill more expensive.

The Public Service Obligation (PSO) Levy for electricity has been set at €5.69 (including VAT). That's nearly €6 per month the government steals from you to support its hopeless electricity cases.

We need to tell them to take their hands out of our pockets and to pray to St Jude for their cronies!

I'm against all efforts to dehumanise some children. The Pro-Life 8th Amendment is a vital part of our constitution. All who advocate its removal do so to make some children much less equal in the eyes of the law . Keep the constitution's Pro-Life protection.

His facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/paddymanningforcarlowkilkenny/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spotted that Paddy (I hate marriage equality) Manning is running in Carlow/Kilkenny, he's been busy putting up posters in the last few days.

Yes, I will canvass outside the church gates of all faiths, respectfully and on public property. I believe in a pluralist republic, not a faith hostile secular state, the right to life from conception to death, the right of parents to educate their children in their own faith or non faith.
    Politicians should not make those choices for us, you know better.
    Your politicians think its green to make poor people pay so rich people with electric cars can have free electricity. We must have the abolition of all the subsidies which make your electricity bill more expensive.

The Public Service Obligation (PSO) Levy for electricity has been set at €5.69 (including VAT). That's nearly €6 per month the government steals from you to support its hopeless electricity cases.

We need to tell them to take their hands out of our pockets and to pray to St Jude for their cronies!

I'm against all efforts to dehumanise some children. The Pro-Life 8th Amendment is a vital part of our constitution. All who advocate its removal do so to make some children much less equal in the eyes of the law . Keep the constitution's Pro-Life protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Cabaal wrote: »

Oh boy, I always wanted the US Republican Party to show up in Ireland! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

"Because you know better"

I thought we didn't a few months ago Paddy?

"Because you know better" - Paddy Manning,
    News Personality

*splutter* Yes Paddy, yes we do know better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

http://www.whichcandidate.ie/

That is really interesting! I started off ticking education and abortion and got Mick Wallace 100%, Brendon Howlin, Aoife Byrne or Leonard Kelly (75%).

Went back and entered every issue and got Mick Wallace and Aoife Byrne 67%, Leonard Kelly 52% and Brendon Howlin 48%.

I probably won't vote for Wallace. I like him, but there is too much question around his credibility and good standing. Aoife Byrne is clearly with the wrong party, she has very sound opinions but I wouldn't vote for FF if my life depended on it. That leaves Brendon Howlin or Leonard Kelly. My matches with both are only around the 50% mark but the answers they gave that differed from mine, I'm entirely comfortable with, were more left leaning than my answers, and were all on issues I'm a bit unsure about, or where my position is in no way absolute anyway (justice, rent, traveller accommodation, wind farms, refugees, European integration).

I knew I would be voting either Labour or Social Democrats anyway, but it's nice to be able to confirm that they are a match.

Where I differed with Howlin and Kelly on abortion, was that I want it on demand up to a certain number of weeks, and Howlin ticked 'in cases or rape and FFA', Kelly ticked 'none of the above'. Not sure about 'none of the above' but I can live with Howlins's position, and given the way this country is, I imagine it's the best we can hope for until the RCC fan club generation die off a bit.

I've just seen that Brendon Howlin voted against the proposal to ban religious discrimination in school admission policies! WTF? This is inconsistent with his answers in the above survey. Will email him and ask his reasoning. Otherwise it's Social Democrats once I've clarified Kelly's position on abortion.

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I've just seen that Brendon Howlin voted against the proposal to ban religious discrimination in school admission policies! WTF? This is inconsistent with his answers...
    A politician acting inconsistently with his promises?? Well I never...

But seriously, this is because he was in a govt. party, and party members will normally vote against a bill proposed by an opposition party. Just out of divilment.

Speaking of divilment, Paddy Manning may be right about the electric cars. How do they zoom around with no noise and no exhaust fumes? It must be the work of the devil.

I sent this to Mr Howlin;

Hi Brendan,

I'm am a slightly undecided voter. I have completed this survey http://www.whichcandidate.ie/ and going by those answers, yourself and Leonard Kelly are the only options that I can live with. I have a couple of queries for you both, prior to deciding who gets 1 and 2. What I want to ask you is as follows;

1. You have indicated that you are against 'faith formation' in one particular religion in schools, and discrimination in school admission policies. However you voted against a proposal to remove religious discrimination against non-Catholics back in December. Would you mind explaining the reasons for your vote? As an atheist parent of a 7 year old child who is in a Catholic school, because there are no other options in our area, this a massive issue for my family. Our son hits communion year next year and is the only child who will be sitting out. I cannot satisfactorily remove him from 'faith formation', because I have been told that it 'permeates the school day'. If nothing can be done immediately about patronage, due to land ownership, would it be possible to legislate for 'faith formation' to be restricted to one end or the other of a school day, therefore allowing non Catholic parents to bring their children in late or collect them early? And/or the provision of alternative supervision be made mandatory for parents who cannot make arrangements for late/early collection. I find the current situation highly unsatisfactory, and quite frankly an infringement on my families right to religious freedom.

2. Abortion. My position on abortion is that it should be on demand up to a certain number of weeks (for me personally 12 weeks is about where I am most comfortable). I also believe there should be an absolute right to terminate a pregnancy at any stage (early delivery at later stages) when the woman's life or long term health are at risk, however I am realistic enough to realise that this is probably not going to happen for at least another generation due to the way this country is. Personally I find it appalling that as a living, breathing, mother, wife, daughter and sister of child bearing age, that the state would put a foetus before my long term health and potential ability to fulfil my current responsibilities to my existing child. You have stated in the survey that you favour abortion being allowed in certain circumstances, the survey limited this to rape and FFA, but I would like to know in what (if any) other circumstances would you be in favour of allowing abortion?

I am of the opinion that Labour have done a good job currently and historically, particularly in attempting to bring Ireland into line with the rest of the first world in issues of social freedom and equality. I am certainly leaning toward giving yourself my #1 vote but would like clarification on the above queries first.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards

Kiwi in IE

Panicker and Roe still campaiging trying to get answers from candidates http://voteforequality.ie/ had a event in TCD the other day https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1666208656982319&id=1648369758766209

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I'll be voting Green and I urge anyone that cares about energy independence and waste management efficiency to vote for them also. While I also believe the current FG/Labour gvt have done a good job, reducing the National Debt, bringing in foreign investment and kept the welfare system.

FG http://www.finegael.ie/__uuid/b5055220-ec96-4f03-b18a-4506e8d3119c/manifesto.pdf
    3. We Will Improve Parental Choice
    and School Diversity.

Uniformity is the enemy of innovation, change and
    ongoing improvement. Resources go further when
    users of public services choose and shape their
    delivery, and are well informed about quality. Fine
    Gael supports real parental choice within a more
    diverse system of school patronage.

More Multi-Denominational and Non-Denominational
    Schools
    : Fine Gael will strengthen parental choice
    and diversity in our schools system, reflecting the
    need in modern Ireland for new forms of multidenominational
    schools have been established. Fine Gael will continue
    to increase the number of non-denominational and
    multi-denominational schools with a view to reaching
    300 by 2030.

A road map has been agreed for a phased transfer of
    Catholic schools to new patrons, where the support
    of communities exists. Fine Gael will work with all
    stakeholders to facilitate this process. Since 2011, 49
    new multi-denominational primary and post primary

Protecting the Denominational Ethos of Schools:
    Consistent with expanding the choices available to
    parents, we will safeguard the right of parents to send
    their children to denominational schools that offer a
    distinct religious ethos.
    Taxpayer Support for Fee-Charging Schools: There
    will be no further discrimination in taxpayer support
    for fee-charging schools. The reduction in the pupilteacher
    ratio in September 2016 will benefit all schools.
    Small Schools: We will not close any school against
    the wishes of parents. Fine Gael will, however, provide
    positive incentives for small schools amalgamation,
    such as additional capital works. Within 3 months, we
    will commence a review of the teacher appointment
    thresholds for 3 and 4-teacher schools.
    2. We Will Strengthen Local Decision
    Making, Leadership, Innovation and
    Accountability.

School principals, teachers and parents are in
    the best position to drive reforms that improve
    educational outcomes and to prioritise resources.
    Central Government already micro manages too
    many decisions in our schools, from curriculum design
    and timetabling to minor capital works. Our Plan will
    give more decision-making power, responsibility and
    flexibility to schools and their communities.
    Local Decision Making: We will extend, until May
    2016, the period of consultation with parents, schools
    and other stakeholders on the “Advancing School
    Autonomy in the Irish School System” research paper
    published by the Department of Education and Skills
    in December 2015. On foot of this consultation, we
    will transform the School Admissions Bill agreed
    by the current Government, but not yet passed by
    the Oireachtas, into a new School Admissions and
    Excellence Bill.

This Bill, alongside a revised admissions framework,
    will give new freedoms to schools on staff deployment,
    performance management, curriculum design and
    other matters. As part of this consultation, we will
    examine the structure of boards of management, with
    a view to ensuring accountability and transparency
    as well as support mechanisms for these voluntary
    boards and parents. The role and power of an
    Ombudsman for Education, to whom a parent could
    complain and appeal on foot of a decision by a board
    of management, will be examined by the Oireachtas
    Committee to ensure its consistency with the need to
    ensure better local decision making and accountability
    to parents.
    Local Education Clusters: Fine Gael will incentivise
    voluntary school participation in new “Local Education
    Clusters” that encourage schools to improve student
    outcomes by sharing best practice and school
    improvement experiences, foster collaborative in and
    out-of-hours initiatives, staff peer mentoring and
    leadership, and that allow for cost reductions through
    economies of scale.
    Schools Excellence Fund: We will establish a new €50m
    Schools Excellence Fund, which rewards collaborative
    approaches driven by schools and by parents
    themselves, aimed at improving school outcomes
    through the teaching of subjects such as Maths,
    Science and Technology, key life skills programmes,
    and pupil retention initiatives. Applications that seek
    to tackle educational disadvantage will be prioritised.
    Outside bodies, such as business and higher education
    institutions, may collaborate with second level schools
    as part of this initiative.
    School Leadership: School principals will have the
    support of Fine Gael to introduce reforms that drive
    up educational standards. Budget 2016 increased
    the number of release days provided to teaching
    principals. Teaching principals within Education
    Clusters will be resourced to spend one day per week
    focusing on improving school outcomes. We will also
    establish a pool of experts (educators, employers,
    accountants, business leaders, IT specialists etc.) to
    assist school initiatives that drive better outcomes in
    schools. Newly appointed school principals will take
    a preparation course in advance of taking up their
    role, and will be expected to take regular leadership
    courses under CPD.
    Financial Certainty: We will set out capitation rates to
    schools on a rolling 3-year basis allowing for forward
    planning. School management will have the decisionmaking
    power to allocate these resources as they
    deem appropriate, including to posts of responsibility
    More School Accountability for Performance: With
    more autonomy will come more school accountability,
    to both parents and taxpayers. Parents have a right
    to information about their children’s educational
    performance. Fine Gael will, within 12 months,
    complete a review of options for standardised testing
    in our schools, with a view to implementing a single
    model by 2018, aimed at delivering clear performance
    information for teachers, parents and students.
    In the interim, we will require schools to publish annual
    reports, taking into account test results, facilities,
    extra-curricular activities, ICT resources, and special
    education resources. Schools, together with parents,
    will set targets against which they will be reviewed.
    Self-evaluation will be strengthened and will be the
    basis on which schools are inspected. Fine Gael will
    also make available – at the request of school parents
    and patrons – “School Support Teams” with special
    powers to turn around failing schools.
    More Effective Complaints Procedures for Parents:
    Real accountability for performance also requires a
    credible complaints procedure for parents, within
    a stronger regulatory framework for teaching. We
    will commence, the “Fitness to Teach” provisions of
    the Teaching Council Act and – a decade after its
    enactment – complete a review of the Teaching Council
    Act with a view to strengthening the independence
    and effectiveness of the Teaching Council.

less responsibilty on schools from government and allow schools to create futher layers to concrete catholicism into school under guise of innovation just like the UK

• Advertisement

Basically, regarding schools, FG promises all things to all people.
    Only one thing really stands out there; increased taxpayer subsidies for elite private schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I probably won't vote for Wallace.

You probably won't be voting for anyone else either, unless you have Irish or British citizenship! :eek:

I say probably given the FUBAR state of the election register, there are no doubt tens of thousands of people on it who aren't entitled to be.

Life ain't always empty.

You probably won't be voting for anyone else either, unless you have Irish or British citizenship! :eek:

Have always been able to vote as came to country with Bristish citizenship. My Dad is originally from Glasgow. Immigrated to NZ when he was 3. Has proved very handy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Arra, shure yer practically one of us then ;)

Life ain't always empty.

Equality in Education
    Labour Party Manifesto
    https://www.labour.ie/manifesto/equality-in-education/
    More multi-denominational schools and an end to baptism requirements

A growing number of parents want their children to experience multi-denominational education. The situation where parents feel forced to baptise their children to ensure a school place must come to an end.

Labour in Government established the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism and has overseen a 43% increase in the number of multi-denominational schools.

Our plan for the next five years:

Provide a further 100 multi-denominational schools by 2021
    Publish a White Paper building on the report of the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism to set out long-term policy in this area
    Amend the Equal Status Act to ensure that schools prioritise children from the local community rather than focusing on their religion
    Include an exception for minority faith schools that serve diverse communities

Publication cover - Labour Manifesto 2016 Download the full manifesto in PDF format (9.3MB). https://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/labour_manifesto_2016.pdf

has to be seen in context of FG policy above (and other possible coalition partners) can they really amend equal status act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I've just seen that Brendon Howlin voted against the proposal to ban religious discrimination in school admission policies! WTF? This is inconsistent with his answers in the above survey. Will email him and ask his reasoning. Otherwise it's Social Democrats once I've clarified Kelly's position on abortion.

I'm in the same boat as yourself, in Wexford and trying hard to find a credible candidate. ("HAHAHAHAHAHA" - Rest of Ireland)

Cheers for sending that to Howlin, would you mind posting a reply if you get one? :)

Anseo review of manisfestos (before LP published) http://www.anseo.net/ge16-and-primary-education-religion-in-schools/ though im not quite sure what his criteria actually means

sheep? wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as yourself, in Wexford and trying hard to find a credible candidate. ("HAHAHAHAHAHA" - Rest of Ireland)

Cheers for sending that to Howlin, would you mind posting a reply if you get one? :)

Just to clarify.....I assume you mean "HAHAHAHAHAHA, so are we" - Rest of Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Would the Social Democrats be the most socially liberal party in Ireland? I mean will they activity campaign to repel the 8th?, call for abortion on demand?, end religious patronage of publicly funded schools? etc etc. Their website does seem to point out that they do hold some liberal views but what is their main selling point, are they a liberal party or not?

I'm in Meath East and they're running a candidate here but I know nothing about her, apart from the fact that she doesn't stand a chance of getting elected of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would the Social Democrats be the most socially liberal party in Ireland? I mean will they activity campaign to repel the 8th?, call for abortion on demand?, end religious patronage of publicly funded schools? etc etc. Their website does seem to point out that they do hold some liberal views but what is their main selling point, are they a liberal party or not?
    They're covering the centre-left standpoint, which has traditionally been vacant or small in Ireland. The Greens and Labour have always stood in that space, but we've never had a large or cohesive party in that space in the same way that FG/FF stand in centre-right.

They're going for the "socially liberal, financially responsible" vote, which is probably the biggest vote out there, once you can convince people who are afraid to pick a "new" party.

At the moment, voters are more concerned about the financial aspect rather than the social one, so all of the parties will focus most of their time on that.

Advertisement