Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ali Express Chinese New Year Deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Waiting is all part of the charm of the Aliexpress experience. By the time stuff finally arrives I've often forgotten I ordered it so there's a nice sense of anticipation when opening the package!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Oh, Oh..... might get a smart watch to try out? Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Ive never bought anything from them, always backed away because they dont use paypal - is it safe enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

They're rock solid if my wife's 200+ purchases over the last 2 years are any indication

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Ive never bought anything from them, always backed away because they dont use paypal - is it safe enough?

Never had an issue and been using them for the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Alipay is bigger than Paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Alipay is MUCH bigger than paypal, it's perfectly safe.

Cheers people - looks like Ive found yet another site where I can spend my hard earned on things I dont need!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

You can never have enough torches !!

Evac101 wrote: »
    They're rock solid if my wife's 200+ purchases over the last 2 years are any indication

Ask your missus what the sizes are like on clothes will you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

they dont pay the seller until you say your delivery has arrived. safer than paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

Bear in mind they probably wont ship anything till after the Chinese New Year festival is over on the 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Evac101 wrote: »

danger here! she may not have been buying clothes ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

All over the place, Measuring Tape/Tailors Measure needed.

Large, small etc mean nothing.

All over the place, Measuring Tape/Tailors Measure needed.

Large, small etc mean nothing.

Yeah I was thinking that.

Not to worry, there's plenty of handbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

bmm wrote: »
    You can never have enough torches !!

I bought three torches in three months! #pocketman4life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I have 10 items enroute from AliExpress.

Late night browsing on their app is dangerous for the wallet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 theronankelly

I bought a phone before Christmas. Wanted it for Christmas so paid extra for the shipping which led to paying customs. If you aren't in a massive rush for something it's great value.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Bear in mind they probably wont ship anything till after the Chinese New Year festival is over on the 15th

I bought a rear housing for an iphone 5 recently (seller will even print the imei on it just like the real thing!) and he told me that this was indeed the case.

I bought a phone before Christmas. Wanted it for Christmas so paid extra for the shipping which led to paying customs. If you aren't in a massive rush for something it's great value.

Just curious - do you think that faster shipping methods mean a greater risk of customs charges? There's a few phone sellers that ship via the EU - costs a bit more but more and removes the uncertainty re customs charges.

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote: »
    Oh, Oh..... might get a smart watch to try out? Any recommendations?

Be very careful - there lots of really s*itty ones on Aliexpress. Be sure to read the reviews which sometimes include real photos rather than the nice shiny computer renders in the seller's item descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Do Aliexpress not ship mobiles from UK anymore? I bought a phone for my wife through Aliexpress before xmas and it shipped from UK in about 5 days. Now when I search mobile phones and select UK or any EU country from the "Ships from" filter, it gives no phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

hjr wrote: »
    Do Aliexpress not ship mobiles from UK anymore? I bought a phone for my wife through Aliexpress before xmas and it shipped from UK in about 5 days. Now when I search mobile phones and select UK or any EU country from the "Ships from" filter, it gives no phones?

I think its only certain sellers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I bought a watch from them before Christmas. The one that arrived was totally different to the one I had ordered though. I didn't do anything about it as it was only around €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In general (apart from shoes - they use the same euro sizes as us) drop two sizes when buying Chinese clothing and you wont go far wrong, Chinese L = Irish S etc

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Not the missus, but I've had good results with clothes. My boyfriend may not agree as my wardrobe has probably doubled in size since I started shopping on their site.

Most of the shoes I've bought have been in US sizes (I've even had a seller email me to confirm that I knew this smile.png) but the conversion charts online have been spot on.

I find sometimes if you're used to buying Irish small the Aliexpress clothing should be a medium rather than large, but most sellers have a very clear chart with either uk/europe sizes or measurements that are easy to translate into your own size. Tbh, I find it easier than going shopping in Ireland and having to guess whether the shop considers me an 8... or 10 or 6 or 12... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I bought about 20 items from them in early November, they all arrived before Xmas.

One item (a pair of gloves) was delayed significantly, I opened a dispute to get a refund and the seller starting emailing me on a daily basis begging me to close the dispute until I had given the item a few more weeks to arrive. Quite funny in a away, they kept going on about being poor students, trying to start a business, etc.

I got my refund in the end and about 2 weeks later, the gloves did show up - however, the zip was rubbish and broke after 2 days. Goes to show how sellers want to keep a high rating on Aliexpress and probably a good thing. Other than that, it's a great marketplace, some serious bargains to be had if you don't mind the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

digitaldr wrote: »
    Just curious - do you think that faster shipping methods mean a greater risk of customs charges? There's a few phone sellers that ship via the EU - costs a bit more but more and removes the uncertainty re customs charges.

If it enters Ireland via An Post and there is no big flashing sticker saying the item is worth several hundred euros, you will only get rare random spot checks and in most cases you won't pay anything.

If it comes via a courier company (UPS, Fedex, DHL, ...) they will usually request the seller to specify attach an invoice to the package and consistently use the invoice price to charge you VAT/duty before delivering the item. You can ask the seller of they are willing to attach a fake invoice with a very low price, but it is illegal from them to do so and established large companies won't be too keen (small sellers probably won't care).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ordered a good few things yesterday

Trainers
    PL Football
    Xaomi Mi Band
    Mum was after a cheap tablet so using her as a guinea pig to check them out for myself :)

Reminder: if you want to reduce wait times it's faster to order to the UK (Parcel Wizard/Parcel Motel/NI address if you have one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

maximoose wrote: »
    Ordered a good few things yesterday

Trainers
    PL Football
    Xaomi Mi Band
    Mum was after a cheap tablet so using her as a guinea pig to check them out for myself :)

Reminder: if you want to reduce wait times it's faster to order to the UK (Parcel Wizard/Parcel Motel/NI address if you have one)

Tablets from China - the cheap variety, are by far rubbish. Im not saying yours might be the case; but its a very bad introduction to android from your mum. Had two from china that bricked within a month.

Advertisement