Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get fit where to start?

Options
  • 02-02-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Ok I want to get fit , loose a bit of weight , tone up but

I work a 4 on 4 off night shift away from home,

for four on I stay in a hotel with no gym, have no fridge or food prep area so eat out for all meals,

Spend the first day of my four off recovering from night shift trying to get back into day mode and spend time with my two young kids .

Basically I have enough spare time to get fit but need a plan to follow that is tailored to my lack of a gym and kitchen while away .

Can anyone point me in the direction of someplace that could tailor a plan/schedule for me to follow as I need a plan to follow.

I'm 40 , not very overweight carrying a bit too much around the waist , 180 lbs , 5'11" in height.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

People will give you better advice on diet etc, in fact read various threads in here similar to your own.

But i will qualify that you should think about starting jogging/running. Its free you can do it anywhere and it doesnt take a huge amount of time.

And its easy, after the first month you will be in full swing.

Did i say free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 huggles85

Hi

I can relate to this a bit as I live in a somewhat similar sphere in that I work away 4 nights a week and live in various hotels during those nights (am limited by a strict budget with work).

In terms of getting fit I would firstly suggest that when eating out to 'try' your best to pick the healthiest thing off the menu. If you don't know what that looks like and/or have a restricted diet other threads should be able to assist you.

In terms of fitness I was lucky enough to find a gym near work that also has a chain near my home and I use it around 2 nights a week when I am away. It is a great destresser and I cannot recommend highly enough joining one and trying out a few classes to find what you like if thats a possibility.

If thats not a possibility I would suggest jogging or walking after work as mentioned above.
    If its piddling rain one evening and you dont fancy it then there are 100's of videos on youtube for free you can do in your hotel bedroom. Those videos will teach you the basics and can be varied and mixed up to your leisure.

An alternative is using online PT's, if thats what you really feel you are lacking.
    These can have tailored programmes that will help you out in terms of goals. In the past I used Results with Lucy, its cheap as chips and has lots of different programmes such as 6 pack abs, wobble to model and other oddly named programmes.

There is also phone apps out there that will give you basic workouts you can do in your room, have a look around. I used 7 minutes in the past and was handy.

As with all fitness regimes etc etc be sure you are enjoying it, mix it up and try eat as best you can when you are out at night.

Advertisement