Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gain weight and cut advice

Options
  • 30-01-2016 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

I read this forum alot and would really appreciate some help on how to improve my body through working out.

I am currently quite skinny and always have been but would like to change that. I know to gain weight I need to eat 500 calories more per day than what my body uses and that the weight can go anywhere (can't really be controlled)

I am going on holidays in 2 months(bikini required!) so am wondering if would make sense in spending 1 month gaining and doing weight training(starting with a personal trainer next week) and then a month of cutting and weight training and cardio to improve my body's appearance? Would that be a good ratio? Is it even a good idea?

Any suggestions?
    I eat quite healthy and would be able to add an extra 500 calories of healthy food to my diet easily if I was really conscious of doing it.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I take it your female? From requiring the bikini?

What is your goal? Is it to gain some weight overall , or re-shape your body? Are you looking to build strength?

Do you know what your current height and weight is?

I take it your female? From requiring the bikini?

What is your goal? Is it to gain some weight overall , or re-shape your body? Are you looking to build strength?

Do you know what your current height and weight is?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Come.with.me

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm female, 29, 5'4 and 8 stone and I would like to gain weight overall (except my stomach) and look more "toned" and have more shape to my body as I feel I am quite straight up and down.

Ok , well like you said in your first post you can't control where that weight is going to added completely , but you can control your diet and calories. You need to work out what your maintenance level of calories per day is (This is what you eat to maintain weight) general rule of thumb is to multiply your body weight by 14/15 so 8 stone is 112 pounds x 15 so you need to eat say 1700 calories a day to maintain that weight.

To add weight , add between 300 - 500 calories max to that per day, no more and do it with healthy foods , lean meats , chicken , turkey , fruit , veg , lean mince , steak etc. Do this consistantly and you will gain weight.

Now , your going to have do some weight training. If you eat over maintenance and gain weight your body will put that all over including your stomach, if you lift weights even if female and light weights your body will use those extra calories to go towards gaining muscle and strength, this will give you a more toned look and give you the best chance of keeping weight off your stomach. When you reach your desired weight and are happy at say 9 stone or 9.5 stone, then you cut the fat off by increasing cardio (Do cardio gaining weight as well) and lowering your calories by 300 - 500 per day , keep the weight training to maintain your new shape and given time that fat will come off giving you your goal.

But this will take time , it doesn't happen over night or even in two month's it comes with consistency and hard work, but follow it and it will come. Download myfittness pal to start and track what you eat, add calories slowly and in a way you can keep up.

Personal trainer will help as well.

Ok , well like you said in your first post you can't control where that weight is going to added completely , but you can control your diet and calories. You need to work out what your maintenance level of calories per day is (This is what you eat to maintain weight) general rule of thumb is to divide your body weight by 14/15 so 8 stone is 112 pounds x 15 so you need to eat say 1700 calories a day to maintain that weight.

To add weight , add between 300 - 500 calories max to that per day, no more and do it with healthy foods , lean meats , chicken , turkey , fruit , veg , lean mince , steak etc. Do this consistantly and you will gain weight.

Now , your going to have do some weight training. If you eat over maintenance and gain weight your body will put that all over including your stomach, if you lift weights even if female and light weights your body will use those extra calories to go towards gaining muscle and strength, this will give you a more toned look and give you the best chance of keeping weight off your stomach. When you reach your desired weight and are happy at say 9 stone or 9.5 stone, then you cut the fat off by increasing cardio (Do cardio gaining weight as well) and lowering your calories by 300 - 500 per day , keep the weight training to maintain your new shape and given time that fat will come off giving you your goal.

But this will take time , it doesn't happen over night or even in two month's it comes with consistency and hard work, but follow it and it will come. Download myfittness pal to start and track what you eat, add calories slowly and in a way you can keep up.

Personal trainer will help as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Ok , well like you said in your first post you can't control where that weight is going to added completely ,

That's not really true. You can't spot reduce fat, your body decides where it comes from. But adding muscle is different. In that case it's directly related to muscles that you target. The OP's routine can bias the areas she wants to add weight to.
    Adding fat would be more random, but it's probably safe to assume that isn't the goal for most people.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to bulk, then switch to endless cardio to strip away fat. It would be better to aim for a clean bulk, build muscle with as little fat added as possible.

Start a full body weights routine, relatively heavy weights, not light weights. Eat and extra 300 cals per day. Adjust cals up/down as needed.

Advertisement