Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] Freestyle Libre BG monitor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

gctest50 wrote: »
    No, they put extra effort lately into diabetic clinics to reduce amputations

I'm sure the people in the clinics are trying very hard to reduce amputations but the people making the decisions about funding blood testing methods aren't talking to those people. There is no joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 whoppoe

Has anyone checked if private health insurance cover any of the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

whoppoe wrote: »
    Has anyone checked if private health insurance cover any of the cost?

I asked VHI and they said they don't cover anything diabetes related.

I read somewhere that someone got LAYA to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 whoppoe

I contacted laya.

Hello. Can you tell me if you cover the new FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System for diabetics under your Glucometer cover? Do you cover the cost of the sensors it uses which would come to approx ?120 a month

They replied with this:
    The benefit for this once on a gp/consultant referral is 50% back up to a maximum of 150 per membership year.

So there you go. 50% of 150 per year is all they would cover

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I'm thinking of getting a years supply of sensors for my other half as a Xmas present.
    Has anyone used the librelink app as a replacement for the meter?
    Is it compatible with a galaxy s7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Bicky wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a years supply of sensors for my other half as a Xmas present.
    Has anyone used the librelink app as a replacement for the meter?
    Is it compatible with a galaxy s7?

Very nice of you!

I use it for mine, I never even bought a reader. I use a Google Pixel, and before that I had it on a Nexus 5 and both work flawlessly.

I would imagine that it works fine on an s7.

Best tip I can give you is that if you have access to the s7, lookup the app on the play store with that phone using the link here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.librelink.app

Then tap on the reviews chart, on the next screen tap on options, and then filter to show reviews "from this device model only".

If there are reviews then there are people using it with an s7. Then if there aren't reviews, it doesn't mean that it won't work, could just be that nobody is using it at the moment — although I'm sure there are!

I'm 99% sure it will work on an s7.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Thanks for the detailed reply. That is great. Pity it doesn't work on the iPhone yet.
    The videos I watch on YouTube make it seem like a very useful tool. The arrows indicating direction of BG and nighttime graph make it worth the pricetag.
    I was thinking of buying the starter pack but after your post i think her phone might do the job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is still handy to have the reader, although I mostly use mine now to distract the 18 month old whilst I'm changing my pump or Libre and need a few less little fingers getting in the way.

The hospital downloaded directly from my Libre reader last time I visited them, I didn't have Diasend setup then. It is also a smaller device than your phone, and the battery will last longer.

A years supply would be awesome, but whilst I think it is a great device don't go splashing out too much until you know if it suits them. They may just not like it.

I don't expect it to work on the iPhone any time soon. This is because of Apple and nothing to do with the Libre. Apple have their devices locked down to force people to use Apple Pay, and they won't be changing that and giving other applications access to the NFC until they win that market, or give up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see there are a plethora of petitions currently underway to get the Freestyle Libre added to the LTI scheme.

There have already been a number of parliamentary questions raised to the Minister on this and it seems that up until last week Abbot had not submitted an application for the device to be added to the list of approved devices on the LTI.

Eugene Murphy TD has released a statement confirming that as far as he is aware, Abbot only submitted the requisite paperwork for this in the past week.
    Eugene Murphy went on to say “When I recently tabled a Parliamentary Question with the Minister for Health Simon Harris in relation to placing the Freestyle Libre on the Long Term Illness Scheme. Minister Harris informed me that the manufacturer of Freestyle Libre had not yet made a completed application to the HSE for reimbursement of the device under the Community Drugs Schemes. A health technology assessment may then be required to assess its clinical benefits and cost-effectiveness. I understand that the HSE are due to meet the manufacturer shortly.”

“However I now understand this week that the manufacturer has in fact submitted an application to the HSE and I will continue to press this case with the Minister as I believe this device could really be life changing for so many children with diabetes,” concluded Deputy Murphy.

Full story at http://roscommondaily.com/2017/01/eugene-murphy-diabetes-long-term-illness/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have loved this device so far. just on my 3rd sensor (one fell off 2 days early) - I am concerned that I will become allergic to it but it has saved my hands so much, I do far less actual blood tests so it is saving money however I would love to have it on the LTI as it is a sacrifice in other areas but it has made such a huge difference to my life, though the cost is becoming too much for me already :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 B.Kelly

My son is only on his 2nd sensor and its making life a bit easier for him so far. Can I ask what the glimp is? He has an iphone so I see it won't be compatible with that but its something I might be able to use on my phone, sony xperia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chocho7

Does anyone know if it is possible to wear the Sensor on a part of the body other than the recommended upper arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Chocho7 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to wear the Sensor on a part of the body other than the recommended upper arm?

There is a woman on the Diabetes in Ireland FB page who wears it at the top of her boob just under her bra strap. That works well for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Hello,

I just want to let people who use the Freestyle Libre know about this event.

I am one of the volunteers involved in organising a workshop with a Dr Stephen Ponder who coauthored a book called “Sugar Surfing; How to manage Type 1 Diabetes in a Modern World”. He is an Endocrinologist and has lived with the condition himself for over 50 years.

The Sugar Surfing workshop is taking place in Dublin on Saturday May 13th and would be most valuable to people using either a CGM or the Freestyle Libre to manage their diabetes.

You can find out more about the Sugar Surfing Workshop here.

Advertisement