Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperBowl 50 Thread

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000635006/article/cam-newton-i-hate-losing-show-me-a-good-loser

Not a good look. You can be a bad loser and still act professionally and face the media. Younger QB have played in the game and acted way more maturely

"As for the fourth-quarter fumble he did not dive on, Newton noted that "the way my leg was -- it could have been (contorted) in a way" to cause injury."

It's the SB. you gotta try to make a play for your team. You may not recover it but at least try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000635006/article/cam-newton-i-hate-losing-show-me-a-good-loser

Not a good look. You can be a bad loser and still act professionally and face the media. Younger QB have played in the game and acted way more maturely

"As for the fourth-quarter fumble he did not dive on, Newton noted that "the way my leg was -- it could have been (contorted) in a way" to cause injury."

It's the SB. you gotta try to make a play for your team. You may not recover it but at least try

Was just about to post that link

When you are a QB and you want to win the SB this is what you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I don't know if I can be harsh on Cam or not for his reaction. All year he has taken the hits and that amazing (while at the same time quite fortunate) leap into the end zone.

But then again, it's the SB, so you've got to give it all cause he may never make it back again.

Either way, I'd imagine if Cam has a overly long TD celebration next year, there may be a few defensive players who may have a dance (or jump backwards) in response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

A bit late to the discussion, but thoughts on the game:

Delighted Denver won, and via Defense, Special teams play for the most part. They won another, tight, messy game. They beat the Browns earlier in the year this way, and they won the Super Bowl this way!

Strange game, Denver were at their most dangerous when Carolina had the ball, as our Defense was so dominant, while Carolina were at their most dangerous when Denver had the ball in case Manning threw another interception. i honestly thought at one point we were just going to start punting on 3rd and long.

Even though it was tiht, it never really felt that way watching it, had Denver had an even halfway competent Offense it would have been a rout.

Overall a poor Super Bowl. I love defensive football, and tight games, but the way both Defenses stiffled any sort of offense made for a poor spectacle overall.

Don't see what the big deal was about the catch/non catch. Just one of these things that can go your way or not, and once it was called incomplete on the field it was never going to be overturned. In truth Cotchery should have just done a better job on the catch. It's early in the game and Carolina do not have to concede a strip sack fumble recovery for a touchdown on the next play.
    (*aside, the exact same thing happened to Denver in Super Bowl XXI - Denver leading 10-7 against the Giants. Elway completed a pass from his 1 or 2 yard line, caught by Orson Mobly but ruled incomplete. Replay show he caught it cleany. Elway was sacked for a safety on the next play.)

Hated seeing the Talib facemask penalty, there's facemask, and there's what Talib did. So dangerous and could have earned himself an ejection.

1st and 10 run it straight into the line for a yard.....time after time. Is that the best you can do Carolina/Mike Shula?

Cam had a bad day, missed throws and seemed to crumble under the pressure. Nobody seems to be saying it, but that is what he did. i see a lot of articles saying, "well he did well considering the pressure he was under" or "he got no help from his receivers"..... or "his oline was terrible" but I expect a league MVP and leader to try to step up a lot more than he showed in the game.

I've seen nobody bring it up, but down by 14 with about 2:10 left in the game facing 4th and 24 inside the 10 and Carolina elect to punt the ball? Talk about just giving up. Green Bay and Aaron Rodger just showed a couple of weeks ago what can happen (albeit highly unlikely) but to do what they did was such a complete surrender. i don't understand it at all.

So, not a game for the ages, and i won't be in a hurry to watch it again, but delighted Manning got a very unlikely second ring, stats be damned, he played his part this year too, not what we've come to expect, but he's sent his whole career putting up mind boggling statistics and not winning a Super Bowl, so he deserves a pass by winning one with pedestrian numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

A bit late to the discussion, but thoughts on the game:

*Delighted Denver won, and via Defense, Special teams play for the most part. They won another, tight, messy game. They beat the Browns earlier in the year this way, and they won the Super Bowl this way!

*Strange game, Denver were at their most dangerous when Carolina had the ball, as our Defense was so dominant, while Carolina were at their most dangerous when Denver had the ball in case Manning threw another interception. i honestly thought at one point we were just going to start punting on 3rd and long.

*Even though it was tight, it never really felt that way watching it, had Denver had an even halfway competent Offense it would have been a rout.

*Overall a poor Super Bowl. I love defensive football, and tight games, but the way both Defenses stiffled any sort of offense made for a poor spectacle overall.

*Don't see what the big deal was about the catch/non catch. Just one of these things that can go your way or not, and once it was called incomplete on the field it was never going to be overturned. In truth Cotchery should have just done a better job on the catch. It's early in the game and Carolina do not have to concede a strip sack fumble recovery for a touchdown on the next play.

*Hated seeing the Talib facemask penalty, there's facemask, and there's what Talib did. So dangerous and could have earned himself an ejection.

*1st and 10 run it straight into the line for a yard.....time after time. Is that the best you can do Carolina/Mike Shula?

*Cam had a bad day, missed throws and seemed to crumble under the pressure. Nobody seems to be saying it, but that is what he did. i see a lot of articles saying, "well he did well considering the pressure he was under" or "he got no help from his receivers"..... or "his oline was terrible" but I expect a league MVP and leader to try to step up a lot more than he showed in the game.

*I've seen nobody bring it up, but down by 14 with about 2:10 left in the game facing 4th and 24 inside the 10 and Carolina elect to punt the ball? Talk about just giving up. Green Bay and Aaron Rodger just showed a couple of weeks ago what can happen (albeit highly unlikely) but to do what they did was such a complete surrender. i don't understand it at all.

So, not a game for the ages, and i won't be in a hurry to watch it again, but delighted Manning got a very unlikely second ring, stats be damned, he played his part this year too, not what we've come to expect, but he's sent his whole career putting up mind boggling statistics and not winning a Super Bowl, so he deserves a pass by winning one with pedestrian numbers.

• Advertisement

Very good breakdown here of how the Broncos defence manhandled the Panthers offence in the SB

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000635224/article/broncos-defensive-tactics-flummoxed-panthers-in-super-bowl-50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

KrustyUCC wrote: »

For me his post game reactions beats the hell out of the bland generic nonsense some spout. If I was a Panthes fan it would look to me like he was hurt by it and gave a ****. Too many get away with "We played hard & it was not our day but I know God will bring us back here next year" type responses that mean nothing.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    For me his post game reactions beats the hell out of the bland generic nonsense some spout. If I was a Panthes fan it would look to me like he was hurt by it and gave a ****. Too many get away with "We played hard & it was not our day but I know God will bring us back here next year" type responses that mean nothing.

Apparently he went off in a strop because he overheard Chris Harris Jr next door telling reporters that the Broncos D had Newton's number and knew how to stop him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The interview setup is pathetic, you can hear what is going on in the next "room", only a curtain separating the interviewees. They should have a better setup given the money involved.

Similar thing happened Navarro Bowman after the 2012 Superbowl where Ray Lewis could be heard bedside him. It's no way to treat players who have just lost a superbowl and is completely understandable in my book.

Take a look below:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Watched the game in Vegas - and a little late to the thread.

The second half was poor, but the first half I thought was very exciting. I had backed Denver pre game +5.5 and I thought they could get to Cam. To be fair, Cam should have been sacked probably twice as many times as he was but his ability to escape the pocket was unbelievable. That pass rush....

What everybody in vegas was asking was why the hell Cam wasnt using his legs, not sure whether this was on Shula/Rivera or Cam froze, but the panthers lost the game in my opinion due to this.

Well played Denver though, already looking forward to next season......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"Most are far more concerned about doing a good job..."

They have a sense of humour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

It's starting to sink in :)

CazuGmmWAAQy_wp.0.0.png

/If Carlserg did Sunday's then last Sunday was nearly it...........but unfortunately 'Peyton Budweiser :)' did it and we just came up short, ie. Ireland/Utd drawing !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

HigginsJ wrote: »

Not for me

You act professional. Russell Wilson threw a pick to end the last SB and he faced the media afterwards fully

Not a hell of a lot between them in age

Fair enough he was hurt by the SB loss

All players are

He quotes Lombardi about being a bad loser

Here's another one that fits

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will."

If I was a Panther fan I would focus on the fumble near the end of the game

His excuse for not attempting to recover was it he might have got injured

It's the SB

Dan Marino only got there once. No guarantee you get back

You need to attempt to play the ball and help your team

Contrast that with your team mate who did all he could to play in the game

30FCE60E00000578-3436744-Thomas_Davis_posted_a_picture_of_the_12_inch_scar_on_his_right_f-a-40_1454914778608.jpg

You tell me you can dive on the ball? How do you justify that to Thomas Davis?

Who knows you recover it or maybe knock it to a teammate, punt and get the ball with the game still at 6

The fumble didn't lose the game but it sure did help as basically it put the game out of reach

Advertisement