Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I have overuse symptoms in my right shoulder from lifting and boxing.

Options
  • 29-01-2016 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

So I've been lifting for years and have never really had any issues with my shoulder, bar the odd niggle that usually goes away with some rest.

However, about 4-5 months ago I started training MMA on top of my usual lifting routine. I usually do 4-6 striking classes a week.

These classes involve hitting pads, shadow boxing, sparring and then I usually punch the heavy bag for my own conditioning. I probably throw between 500-1000 right hands each week.

Many of the classes I do will have sets of 10 push-ups interspersed throughout, so by the end of each week I've probably done nearly 500 push ups.

I can't think of any specific incident which might have caused the pain to come on. It has just gradually got more bothersome over the past month or two. If I was to describe the pain it feels like an ''impingement''.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about fixing this?

My lifting program has roughly the same amount of pressing/pulling exercises. Recently I've tried cutting back on the volume of pressing exercises and have totally eliminated overhead pressing, as it's just causing me pain.

Should I add in more pulling exercises? I'm guessing this would make sense to counter-act all the push ups I do in the MMA classes.

I feel like I should be doing some sort of external rotation exercises, but I don't know which would be the best.

I do some band pull aparts but not sure if these are helping much.

Any stretches/ foam rolling exercises which might help?

I really want to fix this before it gets worse but I really don't wanna take a break from training either.

Anyone experienced similar issues? Would it be worth going to a physio about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Go to a physio.

People here could speculate and you'd end up with a dozen different answers and even then it might be that none of them are right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Physio for sure - It's the only way to get it properly sorted out.

I had something similar the end of last year , right upper shoulder had what felt like a trapped nerve, made some exercises impossible to do without a lot of pain I think I picked it up at football.

In the end , I had to take an extended break over Xmas (4 weeks) from the gym , when I went back it was gone. Must have released itself during the rest.

But get it checked out before you cause damage , especially if you don't plan on taking a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Physio for sure - It's the only way to get it properly sorted out.

I had something similar the end of last year , right upper shoulder had what felt like a trapped nerve, made some exercises impossible to do without a lot of pain I think I picked it up at football.

In the end , I had to take an extended break over Xmas (4 weeks) from the gym , when I went back it was gone. Must have released itself during the rest.

But get it checked out before you cause damage , especially if you don't plan on taking a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd definitely see a physio. Especially with all the repeated movements, and general abuse. There's a good physio nearby, and they offer a free 10 minute consultation.

I had something similar last year. Landed on my shoulder awkwardly in sparring. Felt "impinged" and had a little loss of ROM. In addition to the physio I'd look at a shoulder mobility routine a few times a week.

I find shoulder dislocates and "skin the cat" to be good. Warm up with them before most workouts. Also at the moment I'm incorporating Monkey Bars to my routine.

This is a pretty comprehensive routine. I followed that for a month and got back lost Rom plus interest. Could touch fingers behind shoulders afterwards. Memo Pictures Here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

May help, along with some scap pull ups and band pull aparts:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

May help, along with some scap pull ups and band pull aparts:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Id say you're on track with the pulling idea. I'd go quite hard at it and do some pulls every time you train. For me, heavy DB rows work best.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Thanks for all the help guys. Went down to the gym today and went through everything recommended above. Did a light workout with no pressing exercises at all. Feel some relief already. Gonna do some striking later on this evening so hopefully I'll get through it without much pain. If not, I might just have to bite the bullet and take a whole week off.

@Mellor, that little chart with all the stretches is a great help! Took a pic of it so I have it on my phone. What's the name of the local physio you mentioned? I'm kinda reluctant to start going to a physio 'cos money is a bit tight at the moment and I'v only got 10 days left on my visa here. I assume they'd get pissed off if you just go in for the assessment with no intention of paying for treatment!?

I'll keep ya's updated on how it progresses anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Thanks for all the help guys. Went down to the gym today and went through everything recommended above. Did a light workout with no pressing exercises at all. Feel some relief already. Gonna do some striking later on this evening so hopefully I'll get through it without much pain. If not, I might just have to bite the bullet and take a whole week off.

@Mellor, that little chart with all the stretches is a great help! Took a pic of it so I have it on my phone. What's the name of the local physio you mentioned? I'm kinda reluctant to start going to a physio 'cos money is a bit tight at the moment and I'v only got 10 days left on my visa here. I assume they'd get pissed off if you just go in for the assessment with no intention of paying for treatment!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

CM24 wrote: »

do all this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[quote="CM24;
    @Mellor, that little chart with all the stretches is a great help! Took a pic of it so I have it on my phone. What's the name of the local physio you mentioned? I'm kinda reluctant to start going to a physio 'cos money is a bit tight at the moment and I'v only got 10 days left on my visa here. I assume they'd get pissed off if you just go in for the assessment with no intention of paying for treatment!?[/quote]
    When I went (strained MCL) I did the free consult and never came back, no pressure to make an appointment. Just gave me some exercises to take away and go myself.
    I'll PM the website/location.

Advertisement