Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car parks and flooding in Salthill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Czhornet wrote:
    And seaweed blown in from the sea to cover the gully's. This stops the water from draining away and is the biggest cause of the flooding.

If that's the case, it's a very fixable problem. Have council on the job clearing same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Here's a question, is there a city council web page or an app to check? Let's enlighten those who don't know rather than jump to the conclusion it must be insurance fraud which gets brought up every. damned. time.

You see, a lot of people live their lives and don't pay attention to politics. Nothing wrong with that. Others live their lives and don't worry about the news or weather. Deal with it, they exist and there's more of them than you. Galway is multicultural which few would argue is a bad thing (well, if people were to argue about it I could see that happening here). Point being a good chunk of the city doesn't know about boards.ie or met eireann and might come from a competent city more likely to block roads or make it obvious.

So is there a simple place to check to find out if it's safe to leave your car there overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭zell12

So is there a simple place to check to find out if it's safe to leave your car there overnight?
    Yes
    95.8 FM, social media, galwaycity.ie, common sense, signage etc etc

Yet
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/watch-mini-car-takes-on-storm-eleanor-as-it-drives-through-crashing-waves-on-flooded-salthill-promenade-36454063.html

Not helpful.

Not everyone listens to Galway Bay FM. I'm on facebook and didn't see anything about it. Blackrock's last post was about the barista bus and this is galway didn't have anything about it until after. Which page specifically should they follow? Is there a url to galwaycity.ie that directly says when to avoid parking in salthill?

Imagine you want to leave your car overnight tonight. Can I open an app, url, or facebook page and know it's safe in < 30 seconds? If so then share the details, it would be genuinely helpful.

Or go pout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are you expecting someone to tow all the cars out of there and store them somewhere else for free before the storm hits?

• Advertisement

Not helpful.

Not everyone listens to Galway Bay FM. I'm on facebook and didn't see anything about it. Blackrock's last post was about the barista bus and this is galway didn't have anything about it until after. Which page specifically should they follow? Is there a url to galwaycity.ie that directly says when to avoid parking in salthill?

Imagine you want to leave your car overnight tonight. Can I open an app, url, or facebook page and know it's safe in < 30 seconds? If so then share the details, it would be genuinely helpful.

Or go pout.

VMS signage in that car park plus a lockable entry barrier plus one-way only tyre poppers on the exit.

A lot of expense to go to for a free car park though and still won't eliminate against idiots but should mitigate against a large volume of then

• Registered Users Posts: 25,705 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not helpful.

Not everyone listens to Galway Bay FM. I'm on facebook and didn't see anything about it.

Just look at the weather warnings that Met Eireann issue, which are shared by pretty much every media outlet.

I hardly ever listen to the radio, and don't even have a TV. But I still manage to hear about them every time by being subscribed to splatter of Facebook pages and looking at the news on the home page of my phone's browser.

I know this is a three year old post but a lot of people can be oblivious to weather warnings.
    If you don't consume much Irish media you could easily miss it.

Maybe they should start “consuming” Irish media if they want to know what’s happening around the city.

Also the term “consuming” media should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, if I lived there or had reason to park there I'd make damn sure there wasn't flood risk.
    Every person in Galway knows Salthill floods this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Not helpful.

Or go pout.

What do you think people did before social media and the internet? Look up at the sky and out to the sea. Wind, big black clouds and choppy waters and waves topping the sea wall. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn’t park my car here overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not helpful.

Or go pout.
    As I said you just can't help some people, if they don't make any effort to know what's going on around them then they have no right to complain.

I just think it's interesting that nobody could offer a specific social media page or account, or provide a url to either the city council or the met website, or any other concrete way of checking other than sticking your head out the window.

And I also love how riled up everyone gets even though what we have is obviously inadequate.

I just think it's interesting that nobody could offer a specific social media page or account, or provide a url to either the city council or the met website, or any other concrete way of checking other than sticking your head out the window.

And I also love how riled up everyone gets even though what we have is obviously inadequate.
    You don't how to use the Met Eireann app? If people don't know how to use that or don't 'consume' media then what are the chances they'll look for a warning on a city council page, nonsense, of the highest order. Don't think anyone getting riled up, just pointing out the multitude of ways you have of finding out how not to do something idiotic. Have you a vested interest in one the vehicles I wonder.

It was all over the tv and radio and the news websites like RTe (and the local news paper websites etc) the day before that a storm was coming and Galway was going to be one of the worst hit. If a person can’t conclude from that that parking in a car park probe to flooding during these events isn’t a good idea then I’m not sure they should be driving in the first place.

The one helpful thing posted thus far is following the GGC fb page. Was that so hard? They used to have a SMS service that suddenly stopped. Was that defunded?

Someone mentioned the met eireann app, is that the one by FUSIO? Sounds dodgy af, it doesn't sound official. Still if it sent a notification in advance that would be useful.

More and more people don't follow local radio or tv. When the local news and council are a joke and the official apps don't look legit you're asking for trouble. In this day and age it's not hard to have a static link such as: http://galwaycity.ie/floodstatus

The fact is people keep getting caught out proves the inadequacy in the system. The point I'm making is you all are nothing but useless finger waggers who assume it's just an insurance fraud or a dumbass rather than try to help.

The one helpful thing posted thus far is following the GGC fb page. Was that so hard? They used to have a SMS service that suddenly stopped. Was that defunded?

Someone mentioned the met eireann app, is that the one by FUSIO? Sounds dodgy af, it doesn't sound official. Still if it sent a notification in advance that would be useful.

More and more people don't follow local radio or tv. When the local news and council are a joke and the official apps don't look legit you're asking for trouble. In this day and age it's not hard to have a static link such as: http://galwaycity.ie/floodstatus

The fact is people keep getting caught out and the point I'm making is you all are nothing but useless finger waggers who assume it's just an insurance fraud or a dumbass rather than try and help people.
    Now now, don't be getting riled up. There's tons of help/notifications there for people, I think you're missing the point that you can't help everyone.

If it bothers you that much then maybe help them yourself by making a sign and standing at the carpark before the weather hits, therefore they'll be having missed the news, weather, social media, newspapers, official weather apps and word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

biko wrote: »
    Is there even a sign?

"Car park prone to flooding. Do not park here if risk of heavy rain!" or similar.

I can imagine that sign going 'missing' and a couple of lawsuits against the council for not giving adequate warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Using one of those electronic flashing signs might be an idea. Hard to miss and hard to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The fact is people keep getting caught out proves the inadequacy in the system. The point I'm making is you all are nothing but useless finger waggers who assume it's just an insurance fraud or a dumbass rather than try to help.

Can you give us an example of a system that works the way you seem to want it to work?
    Where someone has to do nothing at all to receive the information that a specific car park or area is liable to flooding.
    So some sort of obligatory push notification to a phone?
    How would GDPR work with that? What if a phone was sold/lost?
    You can't force people to learn/be interested in the world outside or even look out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Yourmama wrote: »
    Most of these cars are old, very little value and impossible to sell. I can bet they were left there deliberately to get insurance payout.

I'd be surprised if owners of old cars pay the extra for comprehensive insurance on their cars. No point in going to that expense if the car is worth very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

VMS signage in that car park plus a lockable entry barrier plus one-way only tyre poppers on the exit.

A lot of expense to go to for a free car park though and still won't eliminate against idiots but should mitigate against a large volume of then

If it was a paid car park - would there be onus of care I wonder on the local authority who provide the car parking here?
    Is that why car parking is provided for free all along the Prom by Galway City Council?

If it was a paid car park - would there be onus of care I wonder on the local authority who provide the car parking here?
    Is that why car parking is provided for free all along the Prom by Galway City Council?

No and no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

if people cannot carry out their lives with a certain small level of due diligence then they deserve all the mis fortune that comes their way.

This hand holding culture for which some people think should be a given should get real. A bit of cop on and look around you goes a long way to avoiding alot of mis fortune that life can bring. There is no excuse for lazyiness and being ignorant - to be compenseated is just adding to stupid, if they weren't they be quick learning not to repeat it.

Advertisement