Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Fat Surfer

• 26-01-2016 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭

A log to record my attempt to get in a good a shape as I can for the Wild Atlantic Way Audax event in June 2016.

The event is circa 2100km long with probably 20,000m of climbing within an allowed time of 7.5days (http://waw-audax.com/the-route). I don’t have a target time in mind, and it probably doesn’t matter; my mindset on any long cycle is to keep moving and get it done, so I’ll see where that will take me.

This is very much a once off, I’m doubtful if I’ll do much audax into the future, probably more mtb if I can.

My approach, as often the case is a little unconventional, but is based on what has worked from me from a very deliberate planned approach to nutrition and an accidental discovery in terms of strength training.

Training since 1st December until end of February is
    • 3 gym sessions per week, with one primarily focussed on mobility work, stretching etc
    • Other two sessions are strength based on stronglifts(deadlifts, squats etc) with some complementary work also
    • Each strength session is followed by 15 mins conditioning (which hurts a lot!!)
    • Lots of time for every gym session given to warm up, mobility and stretching afterwards
    • Weight isn’t heavy with 1RM on deadlift at 115kg, squat at 92Kg, shoulder press at 62kg(which is out of kilter with low leg lifts), main emphasis is on technique and getting stronger safer
    • One bike ride circa 100km as time/energy allows (anything north of 100km 48 hrs or so after a heavy leg session hurts a lot; I rode two 200km last year in Jan& February which felt like 1000km rides, as both where within 48hrs of leg day in gym)

Lots of conflicting opinions on benefit of strength training to cycling, but in my experiment of N=1, when in the past I’ve been physically strong from heavy work or gym work I feel really strong on long distance stuff.

From March on gym will be back to 2/week with lower volume on each session but looking to maintain strength with relatively short session but at whatever weight I’ve lifted in various lifts but with lower reps. With that I’ll be looking to up bike work with one long Sunday ride and a higher intensity shorter ride midweek. I’ll increase bike work a lot in May while trying to maintain strength while having adequate rest, that’ll be very much suck it and see I guess.

In reality, once April/May comes the really long rides 300,400 & 600km events will decide training as proper recovery from those is as important as the ride itself. Will target a few tough rides, so Priest’s Leap 300km, Beara 400km are probably going to be done. Have a Fleche to look forward to as well. Will also look to ride 3 longish days back to back to prepare mentally for what will be one long week.
    Diet has altered somewhat to allow for more protein and more quality carbs around gym sessions. Louise Burke PhD (involved with Australian Olympic team for 4/5 successive games) has a good talk here which partly deals with adapting diet to particular block of training in order to optimise sought adaptations.
    http://www.scienceofultra.com/podcasts/19

Plan will be to start each day fasted, and start eating at 130km or so in (that’s what has worked before). On a 350km day, I’d roughly need 7000kcal, but will only have 2000kcal eaten by time I get off bike, so will be looking to eat a lot prior to sleep. 3 or 4 days previously running a deficit didn’t cause issue but who knows what’ll happen this time.

Back of a fag box calculation gives the following
    Weight 85kg @ 14% equals 92000 kcals of stored fat
    Event will require 40,000 kcals, even at 2,000 kcals daily deficit only 14,000 kcals deficit after 7 days which is under 2kgs of fat. I have an incredible ability to eat massive clean meals, adding pure fat liberally make a 2,500kcal meal easy for me

The maths make it look easy, but we’ll see what ghrelin, thyroid etc have to say up around north Mayo

Won’t be too many updates, but once I put it down, I’ll have to follow through and do it! Event paid for so no excuse from here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Quick update, 3 weekly strength sessions with at least 2 finishing with conditioning is tough going especially if doing 2 days on bike also.

Recovery takes quite a while from squatting/dl etc but you don't really feel it until 80km into ride☺!

Did a 24hrs fast 8pm-8pm Fri/Sat (usually do 2/3 month but avoid when in gym or for 24hrs after) followed by fasted 110km spin this morning, felt fine if not exactly jumping out of my skin.

No route planned other than joining 2 pieces of road I like along with a spin through Anglesborogh. No Garmin, watch or a clue of distance; very enjoyable sometimes less is more.

Another 3 weeks before I up cycling and cut back on gym

Another 3 strength sessions last week. In truth still finding my way with technique on the compound lifts, especially squat and deadlift.

In theory they look simple, but tiny adjustment make a massive difference.

Used Olympic squat shoes for first time Friday and reps at 95kg went from being nervous going to full depth to in being almost easy. Will rinse and repeat with 5 set at higher reps at same weight this week before increasing weight the following week. 1 RM curently at 105Kg

Took of my shoes and went barefoot on deadlift, sweet Jesus, night and day difference. Always struggled keeping power through heels but in barefeet felt so natural. Expect to add weight here now as much more comfortable now. Currently 1 RM at 126Kg.

The lifting thing is addictive, might be a bike or two for sale soon!! @Hanley had a free webinar last week on building a strength programme and has another this week on squat. I'll probably schedule it in for next autumn.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98728881&postcount=33

For anyone reading who races, you'd probably need to be more careful than me on intake. Since December 1st I've added 4kgs. I eat really clean 95% time and from measurements I haven't added any noticeable fat but I've certainly added muscle in glutes area, shoulders etc but I've been purposely eating like a lunatic even if it's really clean. At 40 yrs old it's my first time adding weight since I was a teenager.

A 160km spin on bike yesterday went well despite a really heavy leg session on Friday; legs were screaming "no" after about 10km but shut up after that until some monster rolled up beside me after 140km and I couldn't just leave him off... Few more long rides coming in next few weeks which will be the first test on my oddball approach

First week of reduced gym-back to two sessions- and hopefully an extra bike session, with just 12 weeks real training time to go probably time to be getting more acquainted with bike :)

Hard to know yet whether I've chosen best strategy or not but we'll see as I add in more bike.

On nutrition side of things of added more protein; it's not something that's ever been lacking in my diet- in that I've always liked meat, eggs, dairy, beans lentils etc- but I reckoned that general recomendations for strength training were not necessary for endurance riding.

Not according to this
    http://www.scienceofultra.com/podcasts/11

This is good to
    http://sigmanutrition.com/episode43/

Depending on who you believe I need 150g-200g of protein daily. That's an astonishing amount of protein. It's be a safe guess that most guys my weight strugglr to hit 100g. One large egg has 6-7g,

4 large eggs and a 10oz rib eye will give you about 100g, so I need twice that... every day...

In gym I've decided not to increase squat, knee trouble last year on bike, and don't want to push my luck. So 1Rm can stay at 105Kg until winter.
    Deadlift is flying, fairly comfortable doing reps of 140kg and will add a little more there before end of month. Chins ups, dips, bench etc all ticking away fine for what I want.

Importantly on bike, I seem fairly strong at dieseling away at distance but gone to pot when I need to climb or anything requiring high intensity; haven't done anything to train that side of things so no surprise there I suppose. Will have to work on that side of things. One long spin a week isn't enough from here on in.

Rode Midelton 200 at weekend and added a bit by riding it from home and back. Fasted to Clonmel at 120km was fine, but eating quickly there and probably too much meant Mountain Road was less than enjoyable and brutally slow. So eat less is takeaway..:)

And a month later....

Gym back to 1/2 sessions a week, feels kinda of natural to train less inside as the days lengthen and weather improves..

Just test 1RM on deadlift tonight, with cycle frequency up I haven't lifted for 6 days so wasn't sure what difference that would make.
    170Kg was max, don't think there was anymore in me. Don't know when the last time I was as pumped, twice bodyweight is pretty cool.

Not sure any of this will be worth a sh1t come June, but I'm enjoying it:D

Rode a 300km permanent two weeks, which along with ride from house was well up over 330km. Felt good, except for 70km into a brutal headwind while climbing Mullaghnish, Coum and Borlin. Still pretty crap climbing but have upped intensity in last 3 weeks on shorter spins and have headed up at every opportunity.

Just entered Priest's Leap 300 for Sat week and The Quite Man 300 in Mayo on May 7th(plan to cycle up and down to that, so big fun for my 41st, I really spoil myself:rolleyes:)

That's all for now, Jaysus this one sh1te sub forum compared to the strength training log or the Athletics forum..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,687 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ford2600 wrote: »
    Jaysus this one sh1te sub forum compared to the strength training log or the Athletics forum..
    Yeah, but our main forum is 10 times better than theirs .....

:pac:

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah, but our main forum is 10 times better than theirs .....

:pac:

Agreed...

But you are the only guy racing with a training log.

Racing numbers through the roof and no one else. It's a pity, for me it's real benefit to see what now experienced guys were doing and follow their progress. I've no interest in racing but it would, I'd imagine be a benefit to gut who would like to/may race.

Omerta Irish style!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,687 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ford2600 wrote: »

But you are the only guy racing with a training log.
    It's my sanctuary away from the hurly-burly of the main forum, the likes of Rugby, Soccer and the DRF....

It would be nice if a few more tried keeping a log, but most of the regulars seem to want to spend more time riding, maintaining and upgrading their bikes!

Last entry before start Friday week. Won't be doing a massive amount between now and then.

Since last entry have done Priest's Leap 300, a loop of Mallorca and a couple of other hard 250km days.

In ok shape bike wise, I've been fitter, but pretty sure I'll have enough in tank to diesel away every day from 6-9 or whatever.

I've been thinking occasionally about how quickly I will try and ride it (at 300km days you have your own pace and by quick I mean how much I limit stopped time). Over 300km it is really easy to let time slip and there is no making that back up. My thinking now is enjoy ride as much as possible, steady pace but really limiting stops.

Last year I rode Inner Ring 200 solo (200km with about 2800m) with 28mins stopped including all food, navigation, toilet and even a few snaps. I rode 3 Rivers 300 with an extra 20km and 3000m climbing with just under an hour stopped including ferry. With that kinda of riding I can still ride quite easy and make good time, allowing me to eat well and get some decent sleep. The sleep and food quality on first few days will make or break the last few I would think.

Rode about 100km of Cork section of route last week and it is really stunning, about 30km of it I had never seen before out by Toe head and long strand is wild and pretty. Really looking forward to the rest of it

In gym once a week but have dialled back on weight just trying to maintain strength and flexibility.

Nearing the end of my N=1 experiment I'm not sure about heavy weight training for a cyclist. If you want to cycle for general health, well being and being in good shape then everyone should have some element of resistance training as well as the bike. If you want to race and want to be as fast as you can be on bike, then I think you'd need to be a bit more specific than me with training and tailor it to your own individual attributes and goals.

That's it for now, I'll be back with post match analysis about the laneways and wildlife of the west and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭pprendeville

The very best of luck. Haven't had a chance to read all the posts but how many hours a day will you be in the saddle and how much sleep will you be getting each night? Will you have company on the road? If you're passing along the coast road back by Foynes let me know and I'll go out and give you a cheer.

The very best of luck. Haven't had a chance to read all the posts but how many hours a day will you be in the saddle and how much sleep will you be getting each night? Will you have company on the road? If you're passing along the coast road back by Foynes let me know and I'll go out and give you a cheer.

Thank you.

We won't get to Foynes, taking ferry at Tarbert, but thanks for the thought. Here is that section of route.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13910355

On time in saddle, sleeping controls (converted for night schools/community centers etc) are spaced at about 300km. That makes the choice of riding event is pretty simple
    *ride a daily 300km and sleep at controls
    *ride past controls and sleep in bivvy/private accommodation when need strikes. I know of one guy doing this and suspect one other I know will also. Given I don't know most I suspect there maybe a few doing this but the vast majority will be taking option 1.

My pace is awful predictable, 300km with 3000m/4000m I'll move at somewhere in the 24.5-25.5km, so about 12hrs or so pedaling with whatever time I'm stopped eating, navigating etc added on. In theory there is 10hrs left, but being civil at controls, charging stuff, showering, eating, washing shorts etc eats into time really quickly so limiting that without taking from enjoyment is harder than you would think. The guys up all night, keeping controls open are on their holidays making ride possible, so being decent and thankful to them should be top of any riders list of priorities.

I'll try and make Kilrush at end of day 2 which means very little sleep on night 1 and a really long day 2 but a more relaxed event after that; but who knows the best laid plans of mice and men..

On company I find on long days there is only one pace that matters, that your own, sometime that will coincide with a group/one other but often it'll be long hours solo, which is fine with me to. Really bad idea to try and ride 200/300km that's even a little too fast for you. I've no problem leaving a wheel go.

Hope your enjoying the bike yourself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Best of luck with it, a properly audacious undertaking! I look forward to following it on the Audax Ireland facebook page.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Best of luck also.

Hope the weather is kind. Seems to be a slight SW later during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭nilhg

Best of luck on the WAW, will be keeping an eye on the various sites for bits of news over the week

Last post to close the log, I have been putting it off!

Didn't finish event and called it a day in north Mayo after a lot of humming and hawing about it in the previous 8hrs.

Felt great for first three days, basically riding 300km a day, 24km/h or so, no messing about at controls and getting in 8.30pm leaving plenty of time(in audax terms) for food, sleep, maintenance etc. However on night 3 in Oranmore, I didn't sleep a wink. In bed 9.30pm and despite 900km in legs couldn't get to sleep. Despite not drinking any more than usual every time I was about to drop ff had to get up to p!ss!! Every hour on the hour.

Was pretty addled getting up Monday morning and with plenty wind about had a rough enough 300 to Achill but felt once I got a decent deep sleep I could get out early and do Achill loop before heading north. Sh1tty sleep interrupted a few time with a phleghmy chest. I have pretty robust health but over the years any time I got run down; a week with heavy drinking/poor sleep/extreme training etc my one weakness is my chest. It's my signal to stop, rest or else it digs in and can take a long time to shift.

This put me in a tight spot, as finishing full value(lunchtime on Friday) wasn't an option for me; I had to be back in Cork in a suit bright eyed and bushy tailed at 9.30am Friday morning, which in reality my cut off time for getting off the bike was 8pm/9pm Thursday night.
    Getting there in that time would have meant me having to go with even less rest and that would have left me in bad shape(probably sick) on Friday morning. With a heavy heart I (as one might say in farming circles) pulled the pin on Tuesday lunchtime in Bangor Erris.

IN hindsight the failure was nothing to do with my training on bike, gym or anything else training related but a still pretty hard to figure sleep deprivation on Sunday night. The pressure to finish early didn't help but it was unavoidable; I did spend the week previous looking about how to tune out external stresses, I guess google found the wrong info :rolleyes:

On ride it was brilliantly organized, with a great buzz with all the usual (and friendly) audax faces about.

Really enjoyed the route, with a few surprising treasures; the bit from Tralee onto Ballyheigue was really nice, all around Clifden was great (despite the 100,000 bungalows) and Achill was magic. I was pretty tired that windswept morning but the Achill landscape is the most spectacular I've seen here.

Sorry to miss the rest of North Mayo and Donegal but such is life, first world problems.

Probably won't do a multi day again(that had been my pre event intention) so a pity not to finish it. In saying that I'd probably have ridden Celtic Knot if I got an entry a day or two beforehand..

Have ridden Brown Stuff 400 since and I'm trying to talk myself out of Inisfree 300/400 in two weeks time so audax bug is still biting! Will probably run a 200 event next year in an attempt to give something back.

and here endeth the whinge and thread:)

Advertisement