Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for suggestions replacement for mira elite 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi everyone, Our Mira Elite 2 packed up today - which Triton option would be best that would avoid moving the existing water feed and screw/wall fittings i.e which Triton has same profile as the Mira Elite 2? Thanks!

The triton t900pi is almost the same footprint as the mira elite 2. The triton t90sr is a different footprint but is a much quieter shower. Why don't you get a few prices for a professional to supply and fit the t90sr. It might not be as expensive as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hi everyone,
    Our Mira Elite 2 packed up today - which Triton option would be best that would avoid moving the existing water feed and screw/wall fittings i.e which Triton has same profile as the Mira Elite 2?
    Thanks!

I installed the t90sr to replace the Elite. The wall was tiled. It just had a hole with electric cable and water sticking out.

I was able to connect up all the electrics and nearly had water connected but had to change connection, the plumber was on site anyway so he just connected it. Took him 5 mins.

There is at least 2 visible screw hole left, I need to pull out the wall plugs and just get some filler....but not a bad job in end

The sr is silent....does anyone feel the pressure is less than older models? maybe I just miss the noise

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭neerb

Hi I only installed a Mira elite last week - re the noise I don't notice much difference it's same as the others . The big problem I Am having is the pressure - the flow is very weak and I understood it has a pump fitted is there anything I can do to fix this ?

neerb wrote: »
    Hi I only installed a Mira elite last week - re the noise I don't notice much difference it's same as the others . The big problem I Am having is the pressure - the flow is very weak and I understood it has a pump fitted is there anything I can do to fix this ?

Not all Mira Elite QT showers are lemons. Fingers crossed you have a good one.
    Did you install it yourself or did you use a professional?
    Was it a full new installation? or did you replace an old broken electric shower?
    What is the make & model of the old shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Hi Sleeper12
    I've been following your interesting posts lately re replacing a Mira Elite 2 with the Triton T90sr.
    I'm in the same situation now, and I'm hoping you can advise me please.
    I want to get the Triton but I'm just wondering if it will be an easy enough swap from the Mira.
    The wall is tiled, and there's 145mm between my old shower and the wall.
    Do you think this will be enough space to allow installation of the Triton without too much trouble?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

The mira elite qt is 270mm wide and the triton t90sr is 322mm so you'll have plenty of space

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The mira elite qt is 270mm wide and the triton t90sr is 322mm so you'll have plenty of space

Great, thanks for that info ðŸ‘

Not all Mira Elite QT showers are lemons. Fingers crossed you have a good one.
    Did you install it yourself or did you use a professional?
    Was it a full new installation? or did you replace an old broken electric shower?
    What is the make & model of the old shower?

Many thanks for your reply
    It was s full installation by a qualified bathroom company I had the whole bathroom gutted retiled and replaced all ware . I am having an electrician look at the pressure as it is so low I was very surprised as it has a pump in it .
    The model was triton

An electric shower can heat & pump out around 4 litres of hot water per minute at this time of year. A power shower pumps out previously heated water 10 to 20 litres per minute. Is it possible that you are confusing the two types of showers?
    If you can get good pressure with the dial all the way to cold then it's either a faulty element or you are expecting power shower results from an electric shower.
    What did the installer say about it? Are they happy with the pressure?

Is it a triton or a mira elite qt? They are two different manufacturers

An electric shower can heat & pump out around 4 litres of hot water per minute at this time of year. A power shower pumps out previously heated water 10 to 20 litres per minute. Is it possible that you are confusing the two types of showers?
    If you can get good pressure with the dial all the way to cold then it's either a faulty element or you are expecting power shower results from an electric shower.
    What did the installer say about it? Are they happy with the pressure?

Is it a triton or a mira elite qt? They are two different manufacturers

Hi - I opted for the electric shower as I wanted the option of always having the option to shower however when i looked into electric showers I understood the Mira elite had a pump in it ( not the same as a pumped shower I know ) . I have used electric ones before and they have been fine however this one is very weak and the head can only flow on one setting ( any of the others ) reduce it to a weak trickle as such .

The shower is a Mira elite qt . I have booked an electrician to look at it however he thinks it might be an issue with the filter I hope it's a simple fix

• Advertisement

neerb wrote:
    The shower is a Mira elite qt . I have booked an electrician to look at it however he thinks it might be an issue with the filter I hope it's a simple fix

The filter for the Mira Elite Qt is on the outside of the shower. It's something you could try yourself and may save a call out fee. It's on the bottom left of the shower.
    If there is a fault with the shower Mira will repair it for free under their warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hi Sleeper. I hope you don't mind me dragging up an old thread and asking you for your expertise!

I just bought got a Mira Elite QT to replace a Mira Elite ST. Fully installed by my plumber today and fitted exactly over the screw holes of my previous Mira which was my reason for getting it.

Unfortunately I didn't read all the bad reviews here before making the purchase!!

Anyway it appears I've been mostly lucky so far -
    no cracks, it is very silent and if turned up it will make the water very hot indeed. (I've only had one shower yet so hopefully it will stand the test of time.)

However, I can't help but feeling that it has less power / weaker flow than the ST model it directly replaced. I even put the head of the old one back on to check and I thought it felt weaker than I remember. Im aware that it might well be in my head because the old one is out of service for two weeks and I've been using a different shower in the meantime. But I'm just wondering have you had any similar comments from customers or have you any ideas re how I might improve it?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I didn't read all the bad reviews here before making the purchase!!

Not all mira elite qt showers are duds. We get weeks with no complaints and then weeks like last week with two noisy motors and one leak.

There is a smaller pump in the Mira Elite Qt. This is why it is quieter than the older models. Smaller pump means that it pumps less water. You'll only notice this with the dial all the way to cold.
    When you reduce the flow for hot water you should get the same flow /pressure as your old shower as they are both 9kw showers.

Mira & triton came out with the wider shower head two years ago. I like them but a lot of people feel that they are getting less water. You'll find using the old mira head that the pressure will seem to improve.

Thanks Sleeper.

I feared that the smaller quieter pump may be to blame. I thought it felt weaker with hot water even with the old head on it but I could be misremembering - maybe the jet like noise level of my previous ST made it feel like there was more water coming out of it!

Any thoughts on the aerator type shower heads that make the velocity seem higher? Would it be worth investing in one?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks Sleeper.

I feared that the smaller quieter pump may be to blame. I thought it felt weaker with hot water even with the old head on it but I could be misremembering - maybe the jet like noise level of my previous ST made it feel like there was more water coming out of it!

Any thoughts on the aerator type shower heads that make the velocity seem higher? Would it be worth investing in one?

Appreciate the help.

They aren't recommended for electric showers as they can sometimes make the water temperature hard to control. Having said that I've seen them work & any homes I'm in they always ask that I don't take away the aerator head, so they must be happy with the results.

It's worth a punt. If it doesn't work out it'll make a nice present or you'll get half your money back on Dundeal or Adverts

Spot on. Thanks a mill - appreciate it.

Hi Sleeper

As I mentioned earlier, I bought the Triton T90sr and I have to say I'm happy with it in general.
    Its quiet and has good water pressure so we like it a lot.
    However, there's one thing that bothers us greatly, and that's the time it takes to reheat.
    It warms up pretty fast initially for the first user.
    But then when its restarted for the next user it runs COLD WATER for ages, up to 4 or 5 minutes, and as you can imagine this feels like even longer during the chaotic morning scramble!
    This happens always. It doesn't matter if the gap between showers is 5 mins or 1 hour.
    While I understand that they all restart cold for safety reasons or whatever, this is a bit extreme.
    Does this sound normal?
    It was never like this with any of our previous showers and it's driving us all crazy here!!!

turbostan wrote:
    As I mentioned earlier, I bought the Triton T90sr and I have to say I'm happy with it in general. Its quiet and has good water pressure so we like it a lot. However, there's one thing that bothers us greatly, and that's the time it takes to reheat. It warms up pretty fast initially for the first user. But then when its restarted for the next user it runs COLD WATER for ages, up to 4 or 5 minutes, and as you can imagine this feels like even longer during the chaotic morning scramble! This happens always. It doesn't matter if the gap between showers is 5 mins or 1 hour. While I understand that they all restart cold for safety reasons or whatever, this is a bit extreme. Does this sound normal? It was never like this with any of our previous showers and it's driving us all crazy here!!!

Lots of people have been saying this about all new electric showers in the last year or so. The EU changed the regulations on a TCO inside the shower for safety reasons. Some TCOs can be more sensitive than others. I test for this when I install a shower. If it looks too sensitive I usually replace it with the TCO from the old shower and everyone is happy.

Given triton a buzz 01 6286845 and explain what is happening. Most likely they will replace the TCO under warranty.

Lots of people have been saying this about all new electric showers in the last year or so. The EU changed the regulations on a TCO inside the shower for safety reasons. Some TCOs can be more sensitive than others. I test for this when I install a shower. If it looks too sensitive I usually replace it with the TCO from the old shower and everyone is happy.

Given triton a buzz 01 6286845 and explain what is happening. Most likely they will replace the TCO under warranty.

Thanks for that great information Sleeper, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Cheers for that, I'll update here when I hear more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

For anyone interested. The Triton T90 SR is reduced from 289 to 239 at the moment in Woodies...

...but if any of you buy them before I come back with my AXA card tomorrow, there'll be war!

R

• Advertisement

I was just gonna buy one to replace the portrait Mira Elite 2 that has retired itself after 13 years, but didn't check the extent of the tiling behind the current unit yet. And I suppose saving the few quid with AXA will be worth coming back tomorrow.

Thanks Sleeper for all your advice and expertise! Fair play.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Ronan H wrote: »
    I was just gonna buy one to replace the portrait Mira Elite 2 that has retired itself after 13 years, but didn't check the extent of the tiling behind the current unit yet. And I suppose saving the few quid with AXA will be worth coming back tomorrow.

Thanks Sleeper for all your advice and expertise! Fair play.

R

Bought this unit last week in Woodies - a good replacement for the mira Elite @ a working mans price. They wouldn't accept the AXA card as it was already on sale price

Bought this unit last week in Woodies - a good replacement for the mira Elite @ a working mans price. They wouldn't accept the AXA card as it was already on sale price

Good point about the AXA card, didn't think of that.

Bit of an update since yesterday actually. I saw a mention of a filter in a thread somewhere, so I found the filter on the old shower and cleaned it out. It wasn't manky, but definitely needed a clean.

The problem we were having was fluctuating water temperatures, and moving between scalding and stone cold if you move the dial even a half millimeter on the shower.

However, since cleaning the filter, it seems to be running fine again. Temperatures changing correctly etc. So I may just have saved myself 240 quid. How long this will last remains to be seen but it's working for now so that's good

Just an update to this, I forgot to do it sooner.
    I rang Triton, they sent a guy out the next day. He replaced the thermostat alright, no charge.
    All good since, great to have it working properly.
    Thanks for your help sleeper12

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Just a further installation query (aimed at Sleeper12 primarily) regarding swapping out an Elite ST with the T90sr.
    My elite is flush with the RHS adjoining wall so there is no wiggle room on the right hand side of the existing unit. When I look at the hole in the tiling around the inlet pipe and the wiring, I have a cm or so of play to the left edge of the hole, so I can gain that distance on a refit. From memory, when I installed the shower the left edge of the hole butted up to a vertical stud so I don't think I can open up the hole that much further to the left without having to do some keyhole work with a cutting tool (chisels?) to relax the stud spacing.
    When I look at the manual for both the elite and the t90sr, it appears that the back entry points on the Triton actually allow for a little flexibility to shift the unit slightly to the left of my current connection points on the elite (a couple of cm at a guess). Do you think I may get away with not having to do some extra re-working of the hole? I ask because I haven't opened the seal on the Triton in case I wanted to return it and look for a better replacement option for the elite like the T900.
    I would prefer the T90 from all the recommendations I have seen. But I also want the easy life!!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

But I also want the easy life!!

The problem is the Mira Elite QT might be less work to install but I don't believe you'll have an easy life having to live with the shower.

I'll just mention that it's illegal for a homeowner to install, replace or repair an electric shower.

You'll need about 6cm free space to the right of the shower. If you don't have the space & you have a stud tight to the left I'd pull the pipe & cable back to the attic & drop down the other side of the stud. Easy peasy

Regardless of what shower you install you need to make sure you have a 40 RCBO for a fuse. There is a test button on this & you should test it every 3 months. If it doesn't trip when test button is pushed then it wont trip as you get electrocuted in the shower. If you don't have a RCBO you should definitely get a Registered Electrical Contractor to install regardless who installs the shower.

Thanks for that quick reply. Going the other side of the stud sounds like a plan - looks like I'll be pulling up attic flooring again!
    Would I get away with employing an electrician to make the connections to the shower? I already have the correct size cabling and 40 RCBO in place.
    And do I get a cert with the works?

Yes. You can do the work yourself and the electrictrican can connect it. He will test the shower and rcbo & will issue you with a certificate. Well worth doing it this way as he will fully test everything. I believe that this should be done every 10 years or so anyway for safety reasons

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

If Sleeper12 is about, I'm about to get 2 new showers fitted in a new build. No pipe or electrical work has been done so can choose any shower, what would you recommend?

Also is there any system to limit the length of the shower to say 10 mins. This would save a lot of hassle in our house ;-D

Advertisement