Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDOS Attack Issues - ***Attachments are Working Again***

Options
  • 25-01-2016 9:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw this post by Notwork Error, it's how I got in after being locked out all day, I quote...

Found a way around the "too many login failures message". Not able to login at all on touch or full site due to the error but changing to beta site and logging in there , works every time for me and I'm still logged in when I go back to touch and full site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Saw this post by Notwork Error, it's how I got in after being locked out all day, I quote...

Found a way around the "too many login failures message". Not able to login at all on touch or full site due to the error but changing to beta site and logging in there , works every time for me and I'm still logged in when I go back to touch and full site.

The site should sticky this. Top of every forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

For Italics or Bold, try: (I) 'Text here.' (/I) and (B) 'Text here.' (/B) respectively. Just replace the ( and ) with [ and ].

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

and just for clarity, if you click reply on this post you'll see exactly in the quote that generates, whats put in front of it and behind it to make it bold.I always do it manually

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks, I just didn't have time to experiment with that. Not sure if very many others are having my sort of problems with the site format, since the outage a week ago, boards then went back to a normal appearance for a few days and then suddenly changed to this very basic template where I don't see any coding prompts (just a lot of red x symbols where they presumably appear). If you're in my boat, thank this post so I know it's not just me. Have tried logging on with a different device and even at a different location, at least that proved it wasn't my computer or browser because in each case those were different (as recent as Windows 10 and IE 9). Frustrating since the site worked so flawlessly for seven years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Have you tried this, M.T. Cranium?

Someone said that after you've opened in a new tab the link shown in that post you might need to refresh the page a few times but it should fix the formatting.

Hope it works for you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The quick reply box at the bottom of the thread is very limited in formatting options, whereas if you click on the post reply button it beings you the fuller experience.

[ b] text [ /b] bolds text, leave no spaces. Substitute i for the b to get italics.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

New Home wrote: »
    Have you tried this, M.T. Cranium?

Someone said that after you've opened in a new tab the link shown in that post you might need to refresh the page a few times but it should fix the formatting.

Hope it works for you too.

It did work for me too, thanks muchly, can't say that the weather will improve though. ;)

So now I have everything back to where it was before the Dark Times (which must never be mentioned again) ...

forecast to follow I hope.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Posts #3 to #8 moved from the daily forecast thread.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: Posts #3 to #8 moved from the daily forecast thread.

Which has highlighted another ongoing issue, the link that is posted in the daily forecast thread doesn't work, or (possibly more accurately) it didn't work for me when it was selected.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

The site access remains dodgy at best. For an hour or so I was trying to trouble-shoot endless CAPTCHA requests, running anti-virus and finally getting back to the 1996 screen as I now call it, from where I know how to get back to 2016 (page 87 of the now 89 page thread, click on that other thing, get past their CAPTCHA then you land here).

My dedication to boards is going to be put to the test if this goes on much longer. And I have to wonder what percentage of the normal viewers of the weather forum are actually able to connect.

Well, best make some use of my connected time. I would stay on endlessly (with a window open) but I suspect that would last about 24 hours until my next anti-virus upload reboots my machine in middle of night.

I get the concept of the CAPTCHA program but in this case it is just creating endless loops of work. Surely there is some software that can say "logged in user, no need to test" and grant automatic access.

• Advertisement

The site access remains dodgy at best. For an hour or so I was trying to trouble-shoot endless CAPTCHA requests, running anti-virus and finally getting back to the 1996 screen as I now call it, from where I know how to get back to 2016 (page 87 of the now 89 page thread, click on that other thing, get past their CAPTCHA then you land here).

My dedication to boards is going to be put to the test if this goes on much longer. And I have to wonder what percentage of the normal viewers of the weather forum are actually able to connect.

Well, best make some use of my connected time. I would stay on endlessly (with a window open) but I suspect that would last about 24 hours until my next anti-virus upload reboots my machine in middle of night.

I get the concept of the CAPTCHA program but in this case it is just creating endless loops of work. Surely there is some software that can say "logged in user, no need to test" and grant automatic access.

Which has highlighted another ongoing issue, the link that is posted in the daily forecast thread doesn't work, or (possibly more accurately) it didn't work for me when it was selected.

Do you mean the click on the link to some other site that controls captcha provided by the other reader? That works for me, I click on that and get to the normal boards screen (after filling in their CAPTCHA, everyone has one in this loop).

Otherwise I'm not sure what link is not working? I haven't posted any links in my recent posts.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The link that wasn't working was the one in the forecast thread that mentioned moving the log in issue items to this thread. That link to this thread didn't work correctly.

Re Captcha, I've seen problems with that on occasions when using Firefox, but never been able to find out what's causing it, and it works OK on other browsers. I don't get asked for one here, but I'm set to stay logged in, and this machine doesn't reboot when the AV updates,

We don't know how many users we're not seeing right now, I suspect a lot of people will have lost interest at the moment, the entire boards site was inaccessible for most users n Ireland for over 3 days, and there are still ongoing issues with speeds, especially when posting, and duplication of posts as a result of the delays, but I suspect that they are lower on the list of "must fix" issues that have been generated as a result of having to move over to using Cloudflare.

There are ongoing attacks of varying sorts happening both in Ireland and the UK, Sky News are reporting that one of the UK banks is offline at present due to a "cyber attack", which is probably DDOS, as they are clear that no user data or information has been compromised, and a number of Irish Government sites have been affected in recent times.

As for the people responsible, that's an unknown for now, and we probably won't ever find out, unless the Gardai have been involved and are able to bring a criminal prosecution, but that's likely to be some time before it happens, even if it can, the problem being how to prosecute people responsible when they are outside of the country.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Im not sure if you've seen this MTC - Dav posted it yesterday in the Feedback Forum
    'If you're outside of Ireland, then yea, you're going to be subjected to a lot more checking - this is something we will be able to relax as we've got more workable data about the attacks etc. Yes, it's a massive pain in the arse, I'm really sorry, but there's no easy way to ease these restriction and maintain the protection CloudFlare offers.'
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98529580&postcount=1314

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No idea why. But I still can't log in with any device other than my phone. Tried two different browsers on the PC. "Login failed". Tried turning on beta. Same thing.

No idea why. But I still can't log in with any device other than my phone. Tried two different browsers on the PC. "Login failed". Tried turning on beta. Same thing.

Clearing cookies and checking the stay logged in option before trying again seems to be the only solution on offer Maq - might be worth trying.

This is the latest update in the Feedback Thread from Niamh
    A quick update for you all before the weekend.

Rónán has relaxed the CloudFlare settings a bit so hopefully some of the missing `css` and `js` issues for people will be eliminated.

Captcha settings have been changed so you should only have to complete one every 8 hours now.

Those of you outside of Ireland or those coming from certain ISPs will still have tight restrictions but we'd hope to start loosening those controls again next week, provided we come through the weekend unscathed.

Edited to add: some people are reporting logging in with correct details but being sent back to the home page. The solution to this for the moment is to tick 'Stay logged in' when logging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Attachments refuse to open for me since the attack, any remedies for this? No other issues but this. Thanks.

Lumi wrote: »
    This is the latest update in the Feedback Thread from Niamh

Yeah, still no good. I've tried ticking the stay logged in box, tried clearing cache and cookies. I even downloaded a different browser and tried logging in. Nothing works. But I can log in fine on my phone.

Yeah, still no good. I've tried ticking the stay logged in box, tried clearing cache and cookies. I even downloaded a different browser and tried logging in. Nothing works. But I can log in fine on my phone.

Try clearing cookies and cache again then switch to the touch site on your desktop, tick the stay logged in box, try to login then switch back to full site?
    Some people having log on issues are reporting success with Chrome this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Attachments refuse to open for me since the attack, any remedies for this? No other issues but this. Thanks.

Me too!

The problem with uploading and viewing attachments hasn't been fixed yet - sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Ok, thanks Lumi

Lumi wrote: »
    Try clearing cookies and cache again then switch to the touch site on your desktop, tick the stay logged in box, try to login then switch back to full site?
    Some people having log on issues are reporting success with Chrome this afternoon.

Nope, no joy. I've tried that several times. Different browsers, touch site, full site, beta site. Nothing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I'm having lots of problems. On my phone seems OK, but trying to log in on a PC (All my PC's) is a pain.

I sometimes get routed back to the log in captcha constantly.

The layout of the screen is all over the place.

Icons and pictures missing from buttons and avatars.

Double posts.

Now, I've a Polish IP address as I am living in Poland last few years, It may be part of my problem.
    Very frustrating for me as these forums are part of my life now!

If you choose the Quick Reply option to post then your post will be duplicated

If you use the Post Reply option it doesn't happen

Attachments are working again!!!

377536.jpeg

Advertisement