Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi popular rapper(?) rekindles Flat Earth

Options
  • 25-01-2016 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.mediaite.com/online/rapper-b-o-bs-social-media-is-full-of-earth-is-flat-trutherism-and-its-hysterical/

The article sums it up well. Between dropping bombs and lyrical etc etc, the rapper has quite the interesting Twitter feed in which he continues to fight for the Flat Earth Theory.

He rejects high altitude balloon footage because of lens curvature; rejects other planets ("have you seen them through a telescope?")(I tweeted him back "have you seen the moon?" I haven't received any reply). He got upset because NASA doesn't yet know everything about the Van Allen Belt, etc. and actually I'm having a bit of amusement in sending him tweets. He complains that we've only been shown pictures but I challenge him: you've got money, go up on Virgin Galactic and take a look.

I mean it could be in all likelihood just a guy looking for cheap infamy like Donald Trump by saying asinine things that have long been debunked already or he really is a bonafide member of the Flat Earth Society. Either way it's good craic. At the end of the day I assume it's so he'll get free publicity for whatever album he is trying to push.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I had a conversation about this the other day with a guy in work. I didn't know a flat earth conspiracy was a thing until then.
    I said to him have you not seen a satellite photograph of the earth, clearly showing it's round - well that could be faked.
    You can see ships appear and disappear over the horizon, clearly showing the earth is round - what, how could that show ......
    Have you not seen the shadow of the earth on the moon, clearly showing it's round - eh, what are you talking about.

Never mind, it's probably flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A lot of conspiracy theories have some element of believability to them, but with this one you basically have to disbelieve pretty much everything about the modern world. All he's doing is highlighting his own stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As above. Not a conspiracy so much as an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All I know is i might get twitter famous for getting Neil deGrasse Tyson involved and such (@Overheal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

I had a conversation about this the other day with a guy in work. I didn't know a flat earth conspiracy was a thing until then.
    I said to him have you not seen a satellite photograph of the earth, clearly showing it's round - well that could be faked.
    You can see ships appear and disappear over the horizon, clearly showing the earth is round - what, how could that show ......
    Have you not seen the shadow of the earth on the moon, clearly showing it's round - eh, what are you talking about.

Never mind, it's probably flat!

A round earth has every possibility of being flat.

A (somewhat) spherical one doesnt.

Sorry, bad mood today and feeling pedantic :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why do people insist on affording credibility to idiots like this?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Because I had nothing better to do this morning :[

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Saw this pop up on the homepage

What is with this stuff coming up so frequently recently? On different forums it seems to have sprung up in popularity. The worst part is a percentage of these people are obviously trolling but the others, the genuine morons, are taking it all seriously. It's hilarious to watch but at the same time makes you a bit sad.

"The Silly But Serious History of the Flat Earth Society": http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-silly-but-serious-history-of-the-international-flat-1754977279

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

A lot of the creationist set also subscribe to the flat earth theory, as well as the geo-centric theory. So both of these are actually surprisingly common.

This also reminds me of that time that the Insane Clown Posse declared that no one knew how magnets worked in one of their songs. Then when everyone was laughing at them, then declared that they were just trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I thought that the flat earth conspiracy theory is that modern school history books and commonly accepted wisdom is that people in the middle ages believed that the earth was flat until gallielo proved them wrong, whereas in reality a spherical earth has been a common, if not majority, belief since ancient Greece and the historical sources to suggest a widespread belief in a flat earth during that time are dubious to say the least.

Kinda like the way children are told that the geo centric theory was wrong and the earth actually revolves around the sun, which is not technically correct but is a convenient way to teach kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A round earth has every possibility of being flat.

A (somewhat) spherical one doesnt.

Sorry, bad mood today and feeling pedantic :mad:

That is indeed true, but seeing as we're being pedantic, when coupled with the ships over the horizon thing it's a fair indication of a sphere. If you can get out to the open ocean and see the horizon on all sides it's pretty much proof.

That is indeed true, but seeing as we're being pedantic, when coupled with the ships over the horizon thing it's a fair indication of a sphere. If you can get out to the open ocean and see the horizon on all sides it's pretty much proof.

Not necessarily. Have you taken into account the possibility of a ripple of concentric circles? That would explain why waves go up and down.

Not necessarily. Have you taken into account the possibility of a ripple of concentric circles? That would explain why waves go up and down.

Not really. Those concentric circles could be modelled, to show no point of origin.

endacl wrote: »
    Not really. Those concentric circles could be modelled, to show no point of origin.

We need to stop this right now, i can feel my brain cells dying off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

The important question is can the earth be both flat and hollow?

• Site Banned Posts: 3 invariously

As with most rappers, there a higher probability of the earth actually being flat than them saying anything useful to mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm curious about what flat earthers day happens at the edge. Is it a big waterfall and where does the water go?

Also watching a ship sail away with only the mast being visible needs some explanation.

I'm curious about what flat earthers day happens at the edge. Is it a big waterfall and where does the water go?

Also watching a ship sail away with only the mast being visible needs some explanation.

A vast conspiracy. Involving every sailor, every passenger, every pilot, every planetary scientist, every person in the history of geometry who could work out the Euler characteristic for an orientable surface, every astronomer, both amateur and professional, every...

Well, pretty much every everybody. It's the ultimate conspiracy theory. A tiny tiny teeny teeny tiny negligible cadre of idiots, versus absolutely everybody else.

endacl wrote: »
    A vast conspiracy. Involving every sailor, every passenger, every pilot, every planetary scientist, every person in the history of geometry who could work out the Euler characteristic for an orientable surface, every astronomer, both amateur and professional, every...

Well, pretty much every everybody. It's the ultimate conspiracy theory. A tiny tiny teeny teeny tiny negligible cadre of idiots, versus absolutely everybody else.

You're thinking about it too much...

discworld-14986.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ask him why the water doesnt all flow off the sides.

How deep do flat earthers thinks the world is? Could we just cut a chunk off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is he one of Will Smiths children?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pueblo wrote: »
    The important question is can the earth be both flat and hollow?
    The pre-fig, fig roll theory.

Maybe when this rapper get popular enough to do a world tour he can travel west until he ends up back home.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Don't be silly. Obviously there's a big wall all around the edge to keep all the water in.

That's just an optical illusion created by God herself in order to test man's faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

Lads ... Im dutch ... And the Earth is Flat ...period

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

The best part of the conspiracy in my view is that antartica is acutally all around the flat earth hence creating a wall of ice and thats why its devided up among the largest countries and why noone really goes there and why you dont fall off the edge. And the dome thing is a bit crazy. There is a big roof over the planet or is it a planet if its flat. Maybe we live on a pancake. Maybe there is someone watching us through a microscope and we are a science experiment in a school somewhere. Ah lads its all to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

some of their points in the doco's are well put forward and interesting, that with the lack of earth photos from nasa that are not composite pics which also have massive inconsistencies.
    who knows what we are on?, why we are here?, where we came from?, what space is.
    the big bang is a load of bollox anyway

• Advertisement

some of their points in the doco's are well put forward and interesting, that with the lack of earth photos from nasa that are not composite pics which also have massive inconsistencies.
    who knows what we are on?, why we are here?, where we came from?, what space is.
    the big bang is a load of bollox anyway

ive watched 1 or 2 flat earth and hollow earth documentaries and they are compelling viewing. Its just that they fly in the face of all known physical evidence.

Still, entertainment is entertainment.

Advertisement