Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sooooo...turns out my new roommate is a flat earther.

Options
  • 27-01-2016 5:57am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's so ridiculous. She watches youtube video all the time about it and fully believes it.
    Even when I refute one of the 'arguments' that are on these crazy videos with basic science (I have a science degree) she disregards it and moves on to the next 'proof' that;
    there are no satellites (I work for company that makes got-damn satellites ffs!)
    We all live in a giant dome
    No one s allowed to fly to Antarctica
    Stars and planets don't exist
    There are pyramids under Antarctica

The list goes on! She even used the fact Rapper B.O.B. was saying this stuff means that is proof. I'm very serious here. Like, what the actual!!!?! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Considering that she's an expert on the whole pyramid thing - where does she stand on the whole circular v pyramid tea-bag debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tell her to chat to Bressie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Any chance your flatmate is Jim Corr but he's wearing a dress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I just knew something was drastically wrong when I woke up on the 15th of august 2015. Everything just felt wrong when I awoke, the news sites had some crazy stories and folk around me were talking in tongues so I decided to go back to bed for a sleep. When I awoke later in the afternoon everything I heard and read was nonsensical and just plain crazy. I Really think that I awoke that day in a parallel reality of earth, everything and everyone is now suffering insanity, as a warped society.

Why the fcuk did I even bother to wake up. Now people think the world is flat ? I really give up at this stage. If dumbo thinks the earth is flat then dumbo needs real help. What next ? the moon is just an illusion ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Walk her to the edge and push her off.

EDIT: actually, on a more serious note, what is it these people think "the man" gains by lying to us about the earth being flat? From snippets I've seen on various threads here lots of people have to be in on it, airlines etc. Wouldnt it be easier to just say "yeah the earth is flat" and stick a few "mind the edge" signs a few feet back from the drop?

• Advertisement

Maybe she's just fresh, exciting ?

Looks round to me. Does this person think this is a conspiracy as well ?.

Say roger if it's so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Well my view of the universe has been completely warped since I started listening to joe rogan so Im of the opinion she could be right - or wrong - and who the fúck are you to tell her your right and she is wrong?

It was people like you who told her the earth WAS UNDENIABLY FLAT years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Well my view of the universe has been completely warped since I started listening to joe rogan so Im of the opinion she could be right - or wrong - and who the fúck are you to tell her your right and she is wrong?

It was people like you who told her the earth WAS UNDENIABLY FLAT years ago!

To stop the double post just click on 'Post Reply', Don't click 'quick reply' as that will always double post. :)

Oh, and someone buy that person a telescope.

Is the rule not very simple?

If she's attractive you smile and agree.

If not, you point out how utterly stupid she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I want to believe the earth is flat. just for the craic like.

But when the biggest argument to any of the known facts is "yeah but that was faked", it will be a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I want to believe the earth is flat. just for the craic like.

But when the biggest argument to any of the known facts is "yeah but that was faked", it will be a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Have you pointed out that it can't be flat, it's not even level? Just show her some mountains or small hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask her where the Edge is.
    At home in Dalkey is not an acceptable answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you considered the tried and trusted technique of not engaging her in conversation, laughing at her every time you see her, and only ever referring to her as 'Our Simpleton'?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Interesting, I didn't know such a belief system that the Earth is flat existed.

I'm going to watch YouTube videos on the subject now. Conspiracy theories keep me young. The more far fetched the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

PLL wrote: »
    Interesting, I didn't know such a belief system that the Earth is flat existed.
    You probably hadn't come across it because of the rarity of the theory. It's an 'end stage' CT. One has to have, quite literally, believed all of the bullsh1t contained in the more common delusions before becoming susceptible to a dose of flat earth. The mind needs a certain level of tenderising before it will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

So, just out of interest, is this a religious belief or is she just thick?

Where does she stand on Darwin v creationism?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Isn't that Flat Earth society (the internet forum at least) just a joke? I remember reading that it was set up by someone as a hoax, and people actually started to believe it, or pretended to, to keep up the joke...

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Isn't that Flat Earth society (the internet forum at least) just a joke? I remember reading that it was set up by someone as a hoax, and people actually started to believe it, or pretended to, to keep up the joke...

Alas that happens all the time. Take Scientology for example. The creator of it - before creating it - literally told people about inventing false religions in order to make money. Then he did - and people started believing it.

You can probably make up any nonsense you want and someone somewhere will believe it. Look at homeopathy. Magic water!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

hairyslug wrote: »
    Any chance your flatmate is Jim Corr but he's wearing a dress

You mean Andrea?
    If it is, tell her I agree and would like to meet to discuss it, naked...... cos they put listening devices in clothes.
    You can probably make up any nonsense you want and someone somewhere will believe it. Look at homeopathy. Magic water!

You see the thing is, depending on how deeply you look homeopathy works sometimes, as does prayer, faith healers, osteopathy, reiki..... and just ignoring the problem until it goes away.

My girlfriends family are all mad for the osteopath (not her thankfully, but her sister who's an intensive care nurse is, which is slightly worrying:eek:)
    You get "poor old annie had an awful flu, couldn't even stand up - she went to the osteopath and a few days later she was right as rain"
    I had the same thing, I watched Dr Phil with a cup of tea and a few days later I was right as rain - The miracle worker is your own immune system not some german hippy in a white coat.

You could always insist that it's a sphere...but it's hollow...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The fight crazy with crazy approach?
    I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

You're just saying that to deflect from the real truth of the hollow Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Enjoy friends :- http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/08/200-proofs-earth-is-not-spinning-ball.html

Warning - Brain must be left behind before entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Take her to any large lake - They have horizons, even small lakes you can see the curvature of the earth by looking at a boathouse from the far side, it looks half submerged - but then again that's probably an optical illusion.

Thats the thing with these nutcases, they'll use sciency buzzwords when it suits them, but logic and reason to dispel their argument will be ignored.

Why do you think the creationist movement still exists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Seph503 wrote: »
    Enjoy friends :- http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/08/200-proofs-earth-is-not-spinning-ball.html

No, we have to show Brian the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is the rule not very simple?

If she's attractive you smile and agree.

If not, you point out how utterly stupid she is.

Is she flat chested or not is the *real* question...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

This does seem to be gaining traction. The Flat Earth Society has a thriving forum on its site and YouTube videos of such have exploded.
    It's pathetic but sadly unsurprising in a world of creationists, climate deniers and anti-vaxxers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seph503 wrote: »

OMG! It's true.

Advertisement