Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITB Syndrome

Options
  • 25-01-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I suffer from Iliotibial band syndrome, a recent downhill hike has aggrivated it again nicely. Im sure plenty others here know my pain. There's so much info about all the do's and don'ts etc. And I've been given so many stretching suggestions that i dont know what to try anymore. Anyways I'm just curious as to other peoples experiences with what stretches they find the most effective? I hoping this doesnt violate the medical advice rule as im just looking for stretching advice, but if it does then mods can close it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I had it about 8/9 years ago and all the exercises I was given involved strengthening the glutes e.g. side leg raises, side leg raises with resistance band, clam shells with resistance band, side steps with resistance band, hip thrusts, hip thrusts using one leg, hip thrusts using a balance ball, bridges, lunges, squats, single leg squats. Did the physio just give you stretching exercises?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

only thing worked for me was complete rest - took 4 weeks out of training not ideal I know. But no amount of physio / stretching was doing it for me. Think that band is really hard to stretch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Noo wrote: »
    Hi all, I suffer from Iliotibial band syndrome, a recent downhill hike has aggrivated it again nicely. Im sure plenty others here know my pain. There's so much info about all the do's and don'ts etc. And I've been given so many stretching suggestions that i dont know what to try anymore. Anyways I'm just curious as to other peoples experiences with what stretches they find the most effective? I hoping this doesnt violate the medical advice rule as im just looking for stretching advice, but if it does then mods can close it. Thanks.

Your head is going to be done in with all the information and dos and don'ts. My advise is go to a physio/therapist that has been recommeded to you and whom you have confidence in. Stretching is one thing but perhaps strengthening of some muscles will be required.

Take the guesswork out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Aye. My own immediate/short term fix for ITB is foam rolling. Long term solution - static stretches for glutes and hamstrings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have it pretty bad, currently doing a rehab programme - like groovyg said lots of exercises to strengthen hip/glute/core muscles and address imbalance. Think mine is caused by a sedentary job - I'm either driving a car or driving a desk, so glutes and core are weak. Physio sees it regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Buy a foam roller and use it each night on the ITB, it will do wonders for it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Buy a foam roller and use it each night on the ITB, it will do wonders for it

Disagree with this strongly. The only solution is to strengthen the various muscles in your legs as mentioned above.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/your-it-band-is-not-the-enemy-but-maybe-your-foam-roller-is

Foam rolling the TFL can provide some relief.

http://www.howcast.com/videos/513838-how-to-foam-roll-your-tfl-foam-rolling/

But really its all about strengthening your gluts and the rest of your muscles that are usually neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 crazykidd

I had ITB problems going back 18 months now. For me the cause was overly tight quad muscles (outer thigh) which put a lot more tension on the IT band. With regards foam rolling the IT band, this is only a temporary fix. Ideally you will need to foam roll the the outer quads and calves to help relieve pressure on the band. I saw massive improvement after only 3 weeks and 1 dry needling session from my physio. Likewise to avoid recurrence of the injury I worked hard on activating my glute muscles which were weak in comparison to my quads. Now i just make sure that every muscle group in my body receive equal attention and prevent muscular imbalances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

https://www.facebook.com/mobilizefoamrollers/?view_public_for=595722267113242

This is my business,i have just finished a very large run of foam rollers,pm me here or fb and i will arrange to send you a free roller.

From my own experience with everything itb i found rolling both the hip and knee end helpful..

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

^^ whopper rollers.

Glutes and legs being tended to by one right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

^^ whopper rollers.

Glutes and legs being tended to by one right now

Thats good to hear man :)

Advertisement