Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus' Foreskin: a Holy Relic

Options
  • 24-01-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

True story. Christians believe (or last they did a while back) that when you go to heaven your physical body gets resurrected and up you go. Question: if you're a Jewish male and you bodily ascend to heaven, what do you leave behind? A foreskin.
    Over the years there have been dozens of foreskins worshiped as the holy foreskin. Charlemagne thought he had the real one and gave it to the Pope as a gift.

You can read about it here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

According to David Farley, "Depending on what you read, there were eight, twelve, fourteen, or even 18 different holy foreskins in various European towns during the Middle Ages.

I suppose if Jesus could multiply loaves and fishes, foreskins wouldn't have been a problem at all. Unless he had...:eek:

But what does what Christians believe have to do with what happens to Jews?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Class 1 relics, eat your heart out! :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

looksee wrote: »
    what does what Christians believe have to do with what happens to Jews?
    Jesus Christ...

He was a Jew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Weirdest A&A thread ever?

I heard it's a little shriveled up thing, but if you rub it (for luck, as is the custom) it doubles in size...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

True story. Christians believe (or last they did a while back) that when you go to heaven your physical body gets resurrected and up you go. Question: if you're a Jewish male and you bodily ascend to heaven, what do you leave behind? A foreskin.
    Over the years there have been dozens of foreskins worshiped as the holy foreskin. Charlemagne thought he had the real one and gave it to the Pope as a gift.

You can read about it here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

And if it's on Wikipedia it must be fact.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hoboo wrote: »
    And if it's on Wikipedia it must be fact.

No, its true because its actually true

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/12/jesus-relic-calcata-opinions-book-review-holy-foreskin.html

This is yet another thing that the Vatican has tried to white wash from history because it embarrassed them in the end. Not the first and won't be the last,
    An official 1900 decree threatened excommunication for anyone who spoke or wrote about the foreskin, and after the Vatican II confab of the 1960s, the Catholic Church made a concerted effort to shake off past scandals or dishonorable appearances, of which the foreskin was but one example.

They tried the same in relation to sex abuse, but thankfully their attempts failed...eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

There's plenty of peer-reviewed material on the topic.

The Circumcision of Jesus Christ

by Mattelaer, Johan J; Schipper, Robert A; Das, Sakti
    Abstract

We study the controversies manifested in religious writings, art, sculpture and music as well as the theological disputes surrounding the circumcision of Jesus Christ. Data are derived from relevant historical and theological articles. Jesus Christ was circumcised as a Jew on the 8th day after his birth. Until 1960 the Catholic church celebrated the day as Circumcision Day. In medieval times the holy foreskin was worshipped in many European churches. Christianity never condoned the ritual of circumcision and established the sacrament of baptism in its place.

Journal of Urology, 07/2007

Should we be surprised that most Christians are ignorant of it? Belated happy Circumcision Day to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's plenty of peer-reviewed material on the topic.

The Circumcision of Jesus Christ

by Mattelaer, Johan J; Schipper, Robert A; Das, Sakti

Journal of Urology, 07/2007

Should we be surprised that most Christians are ignorant of it? Belated happy Circumcision Day to everyone!

The amount of stuff Christians don't know about their religion; their ignorance of any aspect wouldn't surprise me. What's your point though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Weirdest A&A thread ever?

I don't even see what it has to do with not believing in God, could someone enlighten me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

kylith wrote: »
    The amount of stuff Christians don't know about their religion; their ignorance of any aspect wouldn't surprise me. What's your point though?

In fairness, that's probably more Catholic (or RC) where the mass would be the most understood element and not the actual bible. Not sure if that's bad thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I heard it's a little shriveled up thing, but if you rub it (for luck, as is the custom) it doubles in size...

Had a taxi driver one night give me change out of a little purse thing he had. He said it was made from an elephant's foreskin. He said if you rubbed it it became a briefcase.

Aaaaaannnnnyyyway, the concept of your actual body as it is being resurrected points out a huge flaw in heaven; if you're disabled during life, you'll be disabled in Heaven. You could also still be blind, deaf etc.

I mean, if you were hugely morbidly obese, you hated your body shape, then you die and get to Heaven and you're still morbidly obese... that's gotta suck. Or you develop MS or similar and die, is your resurrected body still suffering from the level of MS you had when you died?

People don't seem to realise how awful everlasting life might actually be.

Penn wrote: »
    Had a taxi driver one night give me change out of a little purse thing he had. He said it was made from an elephant's foreskin. He said if you rubbed it it became a briefcase.

Aaaaaannnnnyyyway, the concept of your actual body as it is being resurrected points out a huge flaw in heaven; if you're disabled during life, you'll be disabled in Heaven. You could also still be blind, deaf etc.

I mean, if you were hugely morbidly obese, you hated your body shape, then you die and get to Heaven and you're still morbidly obese... that's gotta suck. Or you develop MS or similar and die, is your resurrected body still suffering from the level of MS you had when you died?

People don't seem to realise how awful everlasting life might actually be.

I think the general concensus is that the body is buried and the "spirit" goes to heaven. Google "Catholic funeral"

Yeah, but on Judgement Day (he said he'd be back) Jesus will raise us all and bring the righteous to heaven with him, while casting the evil into hell, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth...

... Or you develop MS or similar and die, is your resurrected body still suffering from the level of MS you had when you died?
    But why would you develop MS later in life unless you had sinned terribly? Surely god would never give anyone MS who had lived a good christian life?
    I think the general concensus is that the body is buried and the "spirit" goes to heaven. Google "Catholic funeral"

This a post-vatican II thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't even see what it has to do with not believing in God, could someone enlighten me?
    This is blasmphemous. Expect Iona-esque cease and desist letters and demands to pay out large sums of money.

That's a moot point, no one with handicaps is allowed anyway.

Leviticus 21:18
    No man who has any defect may come near [the alter]: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed;

If you can't approach the alter you can't be in communion, so you can't go to heaven. At least that's the traditional reading IIRC.

kylith wrote: »
    That's a moot point, no one with handicaps is allowed anyway.

Leviticus 21:18
    No man who has any defect may come near [the alter]: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed;

If you can't approach the alter you can't be in communion, so you can't go to heaven. At least that's the traditional reading IIRC.

Yeah, I think they make an exception for left-handed people but only after the Christian Brothers try to beat the left-handedness out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I thought OP was Robin addressing Batman!

Yeah, I think they make an exception for left-handed people but only after the Christian Brothers try to beat the left-handedness out of you.

Not the CBS but that's the reason my mother is ambidextrous. True story. Apparently it went on until my nan threatened to give the nun a taste of her own medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So far as I'm aware, christian belief, at least at the academic level, is, unsurprisingly, Platonic in this regard - the belief being that the body is resurrected to a metaphysical plane in its perfect metaphysical Form, while the unpleasant physical mess which attends death, is left far behind on the physical, earthly plane.

In this, christian belief is, as it is in so many other regards, basically Platonism with the mildest touch of the Orient.

Yeah, but on Judgement Day (he said he'd be back) Jesus will raise us all and bring the righteous to heaven with him, while casting the evil into hell, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth...

Will there be anyone born after judgement day? Though of course if everyone has gone to hell or to heaven there will not be anyone to reproduce. Except people of other religions, or will they all be in hell? How can anyone be in hell if they don't believe in it?

Will it be one of these things where the earth is left spinning along with no people but all the buildings and machines and stuff still working, and all the poor doggies and kitties looking for their munchies. And then a phone rings, 'Hello, I'm calling from Microsoft, we believe you have a problem with your computer'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Except people of other religions, or will they all be in hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

The only path to enlightenment is through the holy foreskin.

The only path to enlightenment is through the holy foreskin.

Very funny yes but not helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Are you looking for enlightenment in this thread? :eek::confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The. Irony.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To get back to your question

Jesus is god, God is Jesus. As such the foreskin is gods foreskin. This means this thread relevant to the forum.

Unless god is female, in which case the foreskin is only 2/3 holy/relevant. Did the holy spirit have a foreskin, indeed was the holy spirit female too? The foreskin is getting less and less holy :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Unless god is female, in which case the foreskin is only 2/3 holy/relevant. Did the holy spirit have a foreskin, indeed was the holy spirit female too? The foreskin is getting less and less holy :eek:

Shít. Without the holy hole how does the holy wee get out?

Advertisement