Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on my squat form please :)

Options
  • 23-01-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Apologies in advance for the angle of these videos :( Tried my best but it was my first go at it - not sure if it is even good enough for anyone to advise me, I know it's very hard to see. I am also a bit shy/self conscious about videos :o

Hadn't squatted in a few weeks today (doing other stuff in the meantime as I am having some back / shoulder issues) so gave trying for a 1rm a go. So these were not an easy weight for me :o

The first video is 75kg - this was my previous 1RM
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Ur5w22VEQTUWlHZk5FbUlKSnM/view?usp=sharing

This one is trying for 77.5kg - I know I'm leaning forward way too much to count as a new 1RM, so would really value some advice here. Maybe keep my chest higher/everything tighter?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Ur5w22VEQTSG1fZVVHdzJDeEE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for any advice and as I said I know the angle isn't great, but if there is anything that stands out, or if my form looks a total carcrash it would be great if somebody might give me some pointers.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

I'm not giving any advice or anything, just want to say well done. I would imagine it counts as a 1RM, you broke parallel and got the bar back up? Definitely prettier than some of my max efforts :) I'd say you'd get 80 for sure in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,962 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

I'm far from an expert on form but you went deep and completed the full rep. Fair play to you, you're a strong woman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,962 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

I'm far from an expert on form but you went deep and completed the full rep. Fair play to you, you're a strong woman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks guys - really appreciated :) I have never had anyone look at/check my squats before so it is very reassuring that it isn't completely off the mark anyway, but I I know there is still lots I need to improve on - sure that's part of the fun! :)

Thanks again for taking the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Brace your core and engage your lats, it will help keep your torso upright so you don't end up with too much forward lean.
    Also, that is an awful way to unrack the bar. Take the load with both feet and then walk out, you'll see why that is important when the weight starts creeping up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Brace your core and engage your lats, it will help keep your torso upright so you don't end up with too much forward lean.
    Also, that is an awful way to unrack the bar. Take the load with both feet and then walk out, you'll see why that is important when the weight starts creeping up.

Thanks bmac. That's very helpful. I guess my unracking is a very bad habit I have gotten used to so I really need to change that right away :o

Will also focus on bracing/keeping my lats tighter - thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What other leg exercises do you do?

Hi Alf

I mainly do lunges, leg press, leg extension, back extension and leg curls - I am leaving off deadlifts for a while due to a back issue - hopefully can get back to them soon.

I also do a lot of of bodyweight and lowish weight goblet squats as well.

Hi Alf

I mainly do lunges, leg press, leg extension, back extension and leg curls - I am leaving off deadlifts for a while due to a back issue - hopefully can get back to them soon.

I also do a lot of of bodyweight and lowish weight goblet squats as well.

I think what bmac said is probably more relevant because losing tightness coming out of the hole is probably more likely....but one reason for getting into a good morning is quads not being strong enough

• Advertisement

Thanks Alf - I guess I might take a look at adding another quad focussed exercise in for a while to help them along - can't do any harm!

Thanks Alf - I guess I might take a look at adding another quad focussed exercise in for a while to help them along - can't do any harm!

I remembered where I read about it...

http://www.strengtheory.com/fixing-the-good-morning-squat/

Good reading regardless :)

I remembered where I read about it...

http://www.strengtheory.com/fixing-the-good-morning-squat/

Good reading regardless :)

Thanks Alf - makes a lot of sense. The comments also have some good tips. Cheers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

1) Start with your feet beside each other and walk backwards, not staggered

2) Get tighter to you don't get pitched forward at the bottom

3a) You might be getting pitched forward because you start too upright

3b) Your legs need to be stronger

4) Your stance may need to be wider

5) Good job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

1) Start with your feet beside each other and walk backwards, not staggered

2) Get tighter to you don't get pitched forward at the bottom

3a) You might be getting pitched forward because you start too upright

3b) Your legs need to be stronger

4) Your stance may need to be wider

5) Good job

Thanks *so* much Hanley (and to all the earlier people too!)
    Loads of practical stuff I can work on there - really helpful.

Step 1: Deffo no more split stance unracking :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In addtiion to no more more split unracking. Try slowing it down a fraction too. Unrack, brief pause, then step back. People often try to step back straight off the rack. There's nothing wrong with giving the bar a half second to settle.

Thanks Mellor :)

Advertisement