Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish rail fine appeal- help?

Options
  • 22-01-2016 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Wondering if I can get some advice here on appealing Irish Rail fines. I was fined last night after I forgot to tag on the leap card (the gates were already open so it didn't cross my mind, thats usually my mental trigger). I do understand I'm in the wrong by the way. I'm sure you can appreciate how this happened. I would think this happens everyday actually with a lot of people. It was only after I saw the ticket inspectors that I realised and I approached a ticket inspector told him what had happened. I am a genuine traveller so rather than let him catch me out, I approached him. He issued me with €105.90 fine. However, he said he appreciated my honestly and understood how the situation can happen as he has seen it before. He said he was corroborate my side of the story (me approaching him) if I was to appeal it. My leapcard was also seized also which I need for exams Monday! I have never been issued with a fine before, as they will see on their records. I have used my leapcard religiously since I acquired it. I've had to commute by train to school for the past 6 years and now DCU on the bus so its used very regularly.

I probably deserve the fine for being such a g**s**** but you know, genuine mistake.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Personally even if your story is honest there is no way for the inspector to tell if you are not trying it on, they can't just take your word for it. He may suspect that you are trying one of the forms of "protected fare evasion" that is becoming more common around Europe, where evaders make sure they have a leap card, but have no intention of actually using it, but feel that it will come in helpful if they were to get caught.

It allows them to carry out one of the following:

Conditional Validation Evasion.
    This is where someone avoids tagging on in the departure station, upon arriving at their destination, they will also avoid tagging off in the knowledge that they will not have to pay. If however, the gates are closed and staff are present, said person will tag off, and the card will automatically deduct €4.90 thus protecting them from the much more expensive fine. If there are no staff they walk through and pay nothing.

Gates Open Excuse
    This is where someone claims that the gates were open and therefore they felt that they did not need to tag on so then they didn't need to tag on and the same for their destination station, this is despite the fact the machines when the gates are open always state that they can accept tagging on and tagging off.

Personally my view in your case is that by going to the ticket inspector you may not have actually helped yourself. Why? Because by going to the inspector you are saying that you know that you evaded, which straight away means that you cannot plead ignorance to the rules in your defence because if you were not aware that you broke the rules regarding having a valid ticket, why would you go up to the ticket inspector int he first place? The company will see this as an admission of guilt and that you going up to the inspector was trying to prevent yourself from getting a fine which you deserved.

The only thing that can possibly help you and I think it's a really slim chance, is if you can show patterns that you travel same time of day for a prolonged period of time and there is a clear tag-on and tag-off pattern for the same time that you forgot to tag on going back weeks or months. However they can also check if the gates were open at a specific time, and if they find that the gates were open every day at the same time and on other days you tagged on despite this, you have no chance, but if it was a one off they were open, maybe this will help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

devnull wrote: »
    Personally even if your story is honest there is no way for the inspector to tell if you are not trying it on, they can't just take your word for it. He may suspect that you are trying one of the forms of "protected fare evasion" that is becoming more common around Europe, where evaders make sure they have a leap card, but have no intention of actually using it, but feel that it will come in helpful if they were to get caught.

It allows them to carry out one of the following:

Conditional Validation Evasion.
    This is where someone avoids tagging on in the departure station, upon arriving at their destination, they will also avoid tagging off in the knowledge that they will not have to pay. If however, the gates are closed and staff are present, said person will tag off, and the card will automatically deduct €4.90 thus protecting them from the much more expensive fine. If there are no staff they walk through and pay nothing.

Gates Open Excuse
    This is where someone claims that the gates were open and therefore they felt that they did not need to tag on so then they didn't need to tag on and the same for their destination station, this is despite the fact the machines when the gates are open always state that they can accept tagging on and tagging off.

Personally my view in your case is that by going to the ticket inspector you may not have actually helped yourself. Why? Because by going to the inspector you are saying that you know that you evaded, which straight away means that you cannot plead ignorance to the rules in your defence because if you were not aware that you broke the rules regarding having a valid ticket, why would you go up to the ticket inspector int he first place? The company will see this as an admission of guilt and that you going up to the inspector was trying to prevent yourself from getting a fine which you deserved.

The only thing that can possibly help you and I think it's a really slim chance, is if you can show patterns that you travel same time of day for a prolonged period of time and there is a clear tag-on and tag-off pattern for the same time that you forgot to tag on going back weeks or months. However they can also check if the gates were open at a specific time, and if they find that the gates were open every day at the same time and on other days you tagged on despite this, you have no chance, but if it was a one off they were open, maybe this will help you.

Thanks for replying. Seems I shot myself in the foot then last night. I actually thought it'll be worse if I say nothing but looking back now I was going to get that fine anyway. The inspector actually did mention they could check my pattern of travel and I did mention that in my email. I hope they can go back far enough to see that I'm telling the truth however, I haven't been in college since November owing to exams.

It depends on the person really, some people might look at it that you were being honest and made a genuine mistake but the being honest and going up to the inspector can also be seen as proof that you knew exactly what you were doing.

I don't know how far they can look back, so someone else is better at answering that question than me, but I'd say the more recent the pattern, the better for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Your appeal against the gone might be warranted if this was a one off. I.e. If your leap card shows a pattern of commuting to and from college 5 days a week for the previous weeks (discarding xmas). Any non regular gaps will raise suspicions

Your appeal against the gone might be warranted if this was a one off. I.e. If your leap card shows a pattern of commuting to and from college 5 days a week for the previous weeks (discarding xmas). Any non regular gaps will raise suspicions

Aye that's the killer here. I'm a law student in first year so I don't actually be in much (about 8 hours a week). Before Xmas I was on study leave so I just hope that they can see a good bit back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the rationale for seizing the card?

Yeah actually I'm not sure about that. I didn't think they would be allowed. He said I'd get it back.

What colour was the card?

What colour was the card?

It was a standard personalised red student leap card.

http://www.studentleapcard.ie/tcs/

• Advertisement

The language of that makes me sound like a hardened criminal :D thanks fellas, v much appreciated.

Just noticed this. The fine says they are acting under the 2005 Act. To quote the act:

"132.—(1) Every passenger of a railway undertaking shall, on re- quest by an officer or employee of a railway undertaking, produce, and if so requested, deliver up to the officer or employee a ticket showing that his or her fare is paid and, if the fare has not been paid, shall upon request—
    (a) pay, to the officer or employee—
    (i) his or her fare from the place where he or she started
    the journey by railway, or
    (ii) such other fare for non-payment of a fare as fixed by the undertaking,
    as the officer or employee decides, or
    (b) give the officer or employee his or her name and address.
    (2) A passenger who fails—
    (a) to comply with a request under subsection (1) to deliver up a ticket,
    (b) to pay the fare required under subsection (1)(a), or
    (c) to give his or her name and address, if requested under
    subsection (1)(b),
    Pt.14 S.130"

When I asked could I pay the inspector, he refused. Could this be a loophole?

Just noticed this. The fine says they are acting under the 2005 Act. To quote the act:

"132.—(1) Every passenger of a railway undertaking shall, on re- quest by an officer or employee of a railway undertaking, produce, and if so requested, deliver up to the officer or employee a ticket showing that his or her fare is paid and, if the fare has not been paid, shall upon request—
    subsection (1)(b),
    Pt.14 S.130"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"you will not receive a refund of any remaining Travel Credit"

is that legal?

"you will not receive a refund of any remaining Travel Credit"

is that legal?

I don't think so. While it may or may not say on the back of the card that the card remains property of the issuer, the money on the card is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Elemonator wrote: »

subsection (1)(b),
    Pt.14 S.130"

dont think there there is any loophole there, see the bold part

dont think there there is any loophole there, see the bold part

That's madness. He didn't even catch me out, I approached him and explained the situation in a very apologetic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

So now we have gone from you being in the wrong to them being unreasonable and illegal and loopholes and how dare they, etc.

The fact is that you applied to use student discounted Leap card PAYG. By doing that you accepted the T/C of the product. One of the main terms is that you MUST tag on/off for every journey or you are liable to fine/prosecution for fare evasion.

That you approached the inspector straight off rather than him finding out as you passed by is irrelevant, had he not been there at all you would have walked out without paying for the journey.

None of it is illegal or unfair or unwarranted, you travelled without paying.

Pay the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

So now we have gone from you being in the wrong to them being unreasonable and illegal and loopholes and how dare they, etc.

The fact is that you applied to use student discounted Leap card PAYG. By doing that you accepted the T/C of the product. One of the main terms is that you MUST tag on/off for every journey or you are liable to fine/prosecution for fare evasion.

That you approached the inspector straight off rather than him finding out as you passed by is irrelevant, had he not been there at all you would have walked out without paying for the journey.

Pay the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jathclare

Just ask for your card back, they'll give it to you. Its unlikely you will be stung with a petty jobsworth twice.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »

Pay the fine.

I never said anything like that if you care to read back. I know for a fact if you were slapped with a fine, you would be digging out any ammo you have and don't deny it. The fact of the matter is I genuinely forgot to tag on. It isn't illegal to make a mistake. I also have an immaculate record, having used the Smart card and the Leap Card for most days since 2009. Their records will show that.

jathclare wrote: »
    Just ask for your card back, they'll give it to you. Its unlikely you will be stung with a petty jobsworth twice.

Already did Clare! They said I'll either have to pay up or wait pending the outcome of the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Interesting approach from a law student. You say you forgot to tag on, IE have no way of proving that you have an immaculate record, you could have forgotten to tag on on many other occasions, no one can prove that.
    I think you'll just have to accept that your forgetfulness has cost you the fine if you wish to get your card back with the credit still on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Interesting approach from a law student. You say you forgot to tag on, IE have no way of proving that you have an immaculate record, you could have forgotten to tag on on many other occasions, no one can prove that.
    I think you'll just have to accept that your forgetfulness has cost you the fine if you wish to get your card back with the credit still on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hi guys,

Wondering if I can get some advice here on appealing Irish Rail fines. I was fined last night after I forgot to tag on the leap card (the gates were already open so it didn't cross my mind, thats usually my mental trigger). I do understand I'm in the wrong by the way. I'm sure you can appreciate how this happened. I would think this happens everyday actually with a lot of people. It was only after I saw the ticket inspectors that I realised and I approached a ticket inspector told him what had happened. I am a genuine traveller so rather than let him catch me out, I approached him. He issued me with €105.90 fine. However, he said he appreciated my honestly and understood how the situation can happen as he has seen it before. He said he was corroborate my side of the story (me approaching him) if I was to appeal it. My leapcard was also seized also which I need for exams Monday! I have never been issued with a fine before, as they will see on their records. I have used my leapcard religiously since I acquired it. I've had to commute by train to school for the past 6 years and now DCU on the bus so its used very regularly.

I probably deserve the fine for being such a g**s**** but you know, genuine mistake.

Thank you
    What advice are you looking for?

Actually they can view my transaction history, I've established that much with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

The inspector was nice to you as he wanted you to go away! The last thing they want is to have a member of the public screaming at them and causing a scene. Rarely hear of people winning an appeal, especially as seen as you were in the wrong. They won't give you the ticket back until you pay fine. Save yourself a ton a hassle, pay the fine, get your ticket back and good luck with the exams.

gaz wac wrote: »
    The inspector was nice to you as he wanted you to go away! The last thing they want is to have a member of the public screaming at them and causing a scene. Rarely hear of people winning an appeal, especially as seen as you were in the wrong. They won't give you the ticket back until you pay fine. Save yourself a ton a hassle, pay the fine, get your ticket back and good luck with the exams.

Yeah probably, I wasn't so much hoping to avoid the fine but maybe get it reduced. Thanks Gaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Hi guys,

Thank you

Seriously ?

You are being so honest they should rescind it, if they don't it's a joke and no wonder people don't pay fares.

When I go from Raheny to Ranaleigh the DART ticket is E2.55 (ONE WAY) - plus the LUAS is about 2E, Immoral prices for a one way journey of a few miles.

I dont bother my hole paying for the LUAS - never been caught.

Advertisement