Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awareness of reasons for 'god belief'

Options
2»

Comments

fisgon wrote: »
    In the end that is what all religions come down to, explaining death, what happens after, giving hope for continuation.

If I ever mention to a theist that I'm an atheist, more often than not the first question I'm asked is "so what do YOU think happens when we die?".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Kiwi in IE wrote:
    What could be so scary about nothingness? There is literally nothing to fear.

I admire your ability to be able to detach from the fear of nothingness.

I suppose there's a lot of people who are very attached to their desires,ambitions,family future etc

Cognitively they can't get to the place where acceptance is the answer,so they freak out at the thought of nothingness.

You're probably able to compartmentalize most of life's ups and downs something I at times find hard to do.

I often wish I never heard about Religion,God,Spirituality etc

Like that old native American questioning the pastor, if he goes to heaven with out knowing about JC,why was he told about Christianity in the first place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    What could be so scary about nothingness? There is literally nothing to fear. The idea of spending eternity in the company of any of the various gods touted by organised religions, is a much more unpleasant prospect than non existence.

“Death is a release from the impressions of the senses, and from desires that make us their puppets, and from the vagaries of the mind, and from the hard service of the flesh.” Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I admire your ability to be able to detach from the fear of nothingness.

I suppose there's a lot of people who are very attached to their desires,ambitions,family future etc

Cognitively they can't get to the place where acceptance is the answer,so they freak out at the thought of nothingness.

You're probably able to compartmentalize most of life's ups and downs something I at times find hard to do.

I often wish I never heard about Religion,God,Spirituality etc

Like that old native American questioning the pastor, if he goes to heaven with out knowing about JC,why was he told about Christianity in the first place ?

I'm not in any way more unattached to desires, ambitions or family future than the average person. I just accept that death is an inevitable part of life, and I'm assume that when I'm dead I will no longer be aware, and so will not feel the loss of anything. As I said in an earlier post, I fear loss more than death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Absolam wrote: »
    That more than anything else is what I think makes people take refuge in religion, the fact that after the struggle there will be something, anything, as long as they get to continue in some form; anything is better than the prospect of no longer being.
    Or they could just be happy that the world will get to continue on; their kids, loved ones, friends, family etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Canadel wrote: »
    Or they could just be happy that the world will get to continue on; their kids, loved ones, friends, family etc.
    I don't see how that would make people take refuge in religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Absolam wrote: »
    I don't see how that would make people take refuge in religion?
    Take refuge in the fact that the world will continue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Canadel wrote: »
    Take refuge in the fact that the world will continue on.
    That would be a person that doesn't take refuge in religion; or someone who doesn't have 'reasons for god belief' :)

Advertisement