Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mauls : uncounterable rolling boredom

Options
  • 17-01-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

I'm so bored of watching mauls they aren't a contest for the ball anymore , once set they are uncounterable. Add to that they rarely lead to trys as teams use them as a means of drawing out a penalty

So is it time to outlaw or seriously depower the maul?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They lead to plenty of tries? How could you not love a great rolling maul?!?!?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Rarely lead to trys?

Do you not watch much rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This week was particularly bad. I got very angry watching some games. I think we need a stricter interpretation of what is a different "maul" to stop people rolling off the side when they stop. I think refs should call use it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

So you wish to penalise teams who devote time and effort to the perfect execution of a play totally within the laws of the game? What next? Outlawing running with the ball too fast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Mauls are absolutely not uncounterable. Teams are just naive in their attempts to counter them. There was a period when they were in vogue at club level until everyone just worked out how to counter them, and that then filtered all the way up to international level.

If a team are unable to stop a maul it's because of their own incompetence, not because of any failing in the laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Rarely lead to trys?

Do you not watch much rugby?

As a percentage of mauls set v trys scored I'd hassard a guest that 90% of them lead to a penalty or the ball is spun wide

BBDBB wrote: »
    So you wish to penalise teams who devote time and effort to the perfect execution of a play totally within the laws of the game? What next? Outlawing running with the ball too fast!!

The irb/wr have done so before and will again in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The maul is too heavily stacked in the attackers favour. It is extremely difficult to defend.
    They get an age to set it, even after first warning.
    If it goes down it almost always is automatically assumed it has been pulled down
    Defenders somehow have to go through a wall of men to disrupt the ball while not being allowed to tackle, go around or even know who has the ball. In all other facets of the game this is blocking and offside but here it's fine.
    Not knowing who has it is unfair as when it breaks, attacking pods can charge off and form new ones which defenders can't identify in time and players can then rejoin.

Northamptons last maul in the game just gone took 16 seconds to start moving forward. That is ridiculous.

It's incredibly dull to watch

I hate it. I see it as negative rugby akin to route one football. Totally allowed and FairPlay to those who master it but it does nothing to help encourage this attacking rugby many claim we in the NH need to develop if we are to compete with NZ and Oz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mauls are absolutely not uncounterable. Teams are just naive in their attempts to counter them. There was a period when they were in vogue at club level until everyone just worked out how to counter them, and that then filtered all the way up to international level.

If a team are unable to stop a maul it's because of their own incompetence, not because of any failing in the laws.

Ah here, not being able to stop a maul doesn't have to mean incompetence. There's also the problem of the other team maybe being better, more powerful, better drilled/coached, or a referee's interpretation of how the other team are mauling/your team are defending, etc. If it was as simple as you make out there would never be any tries scored off mauls against good teams, and teams wouldn't bother trying it.

As a percentage of mauls set v trys scored I'd hassard a guest that 90% of them lead to a penalty or the ball is spun wide

Is that not a good outcome though - a penalty? Also it ties in defenders creating space to spin it wide...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It should be warning three seconds in order to get moving or get the ball out imo

Is there a time limit after each warning at the moment?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah here, not being able to stop a maul doesn't have to mean incompetence. There's also the problem of the other team maybe being better, more powerful, better drilled/coached, or a referee's interpretation of how the other team are mauling/your team are defending, etc. If it was as simple as you make out there would never be any tries scored off mauls against good teams, and teams wouldn't bother trying it.

:confused:

It doesn't mean incompetence, it just means the other team are more competent than you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

What annoys me is that you always see members of the team in possession join from all over the place and are never penalised, but the defending team is always pinged for it.

The irb/wr have done so before and will again in the future

That's your interpretation of what happened, I can't recall an occasion where the orb or wr have said that's what they were doing.

can I ask how the rise of the choke tackle fits into your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

There is no reward for less powerful teams getting an initial good defensive drive. Glasgow were clearly not as powerful yet held Northampton up. But the way it's refereed they just have to wait until Northempton organise themselves and get a push on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I reckon we should get rid of the maul. It eats up far too much time, is static and devalues the game.

I'd also recommend depowering the scrum which is similar and a complete free for all. To do this, I would suggest removing two players from the back row and the scrum just being a means to restart the game with 6 from each team involved. I wouldn't replace those 2 lads elsewhere and just go with 13 men on the field. That would lead to more free flowing play and extra gaps on the field.

Lastly, to increase high tempo and risk taking, teams should have a limited number of attempts to create something and, if they don't, the opposition take possession. Perhaps 6 phases would be enough?

LEAVE THE BLOODY MAUL ALONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I have no problem with the maul as described in the laws of the game.

I don't think it's reffed like that though.

For starters, carrying the ball at the back of the maul while using you other hand to grip the back of the next players shorts is in no way binding as described in the laws of the game. I HATE it when a team catches ball in a lineout, they send players charging up either side as a wedge and a block, while the ball is given to a player at the back, who surveys the landscape not bound at all, and then starts pushing at the back ie accidental offside because he wasn't bound.

Pocock mastered this for the Brumbies and Wallabies. Eventually SANZAR tried to clarify what was actually a maul, truck and trailer, obstruction etc, but I don't think it has been brought forward into the european game.

You have to bind onto the player with ball, and then move the ball back, not send a heap of guys forward in advance as obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

The thing is World Rugby trialled maul collapsing as a counter in 2009 with the ELVs the try an address what was seen as a boring WC. If I remember correctly it wasn't adopted because it completely removed the maul from the game and doing so did very little to improve the game as an attacking spectacle and infact took away from it.

The problem for me is not the maul rather its over use is a symptom of a bigger problem. The NH have become unwilling to use their backline in attack because defences are to good.

To adress this I would move the offside line back 5m. Put a weight cap on players leading to more mobile and athletic forwards and reduce the value more of penalty goal to two points.

Just a few of the actual laws that I think are not reffed properly

A maul begins when a player carrying the ball is held by one or more opponents, and one or more of the ball carrier’s team mates bind on the ball carrier.

Placing a hand on another player in the maul does not constitute binding.

Players joining a maul must do so from behind the foot of the hindmost team-mate in the maul. The player may join alongside this player. If the player joins the maul from the opponents’ side, or in front of the hindmost team-mate, the player is offside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Could this thread merge into Laws thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520903&page=63
    I'm so bored of watching mauls they aren't a contest for the ball anymore, once set they are uncounterable. Add to that they rarely lead to trys as teams use them as a means of drawing out a penalty

So is it time to outlaw or seriously depower the maul?
    Just because you feel bored doesn't mean the law should change. Mauls certainly do not rarely lead to trys.
    errlloyd wrote: »
    This week was particularly bad. I got very angry watching some games. I think we need a stricter interpretation of what is a different "maul" to stop people rolling off the side when they stop. I think refs should call use it sooner.
    What would this stricter interpretation be? Why is it needed?
    It should be warning three seconds in order to get moving or get the ball out imo

Is there a time limit after each warning at the moment?
    When maul has stopped moving forward it must moving forward again providing it does so within 5 seconds. If maul stops moving forward a second time and if the ball is being moved and the referee can see it, a reasonable time is allowed for the ball to emerge. If it does not emerge within a reasonable time, a scrum is ordered. - taken from the law book

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The SA example from the WR site is a clear example of an already illegal manoeuvre where the forwards push in ahead of the ball carrier who detaches himself before re-binding. What exactly are they changing there?

For the Australian example I'm not sure how it relates to the wording of the text either. Again, the ball carrier fails to remain correctly bound, though it's less blatant. However, he doesn't move backwards so much as get overtaken by his team-mates.

The SA example from the WR site is a clear example of an already illegal manoeuvre where the forwards push in ahead of the ball carrier who detaches himself before re-binding. What exactly are they changing there?

For the Australian example I'm not sure how it relates to the wording of the text either. Again, the ball carrier fails to remain correctly bound, though it's less blatant. However, he doesn't move backwards so much as get overtaken by his team-mates.

They're not changing anything in the laws pickarooney, they've issued a clarification and they've asked refs to ref it. We shall see.

Essentially, they want to give the defending team a chance - so you can move the ball to the back by tranferring it from player to player. But a player catching the ball and then rushing to the back while his team-mates surge forward is obstruction and penalised.

Likewise, catching the ball in the air and laying it off to a team-mate not bound while everyone else forms a wall, and then watching as the team-mate with the ball joins the maul is accidental offside. See the SOB example on the WR site.

No need to change the laws, every need to implement them properly.

:confused:

It doesn't mean incompetence, it just means the other team are more competent than you?

There's a difference between incompetent and less competent. Just because a more competent team scores a maul try doesn't make the defending team incompetent, which is what you said. That's like saying Dan Carter outplayed Johnny Sexton, so Sexton is incompetent.

That's your interpretation of what happened, I can't recall an occasion where the orb or wr have said that's what they were doing.

can I ask how the rise of the choke tackle fits into your view?

The irb allowed the defending team to sack the maul a few years ago in a trial. This certainly penalised teams at the time who spent years perfected their mauls

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd just like to see them refereed more fairly. The defending team is watched like a hawk while the attacking team seems to get free reign.

You see a fair amount of what IMO is truck and trailer these days. Maul moving forward, especially if it's elongated, but the ball carrier at the back is just holding on and following rather than actually being in the maul.

The irb allowed the defending team to sack the maul a few years ago in a trial. This certainly penalised teams at the time who spent years perfected their mauls

Again, that's your interpretation, what reason did the rib give for making the change. It certainly wasn't to penalise teams who perfected their maul.

Again, that's your interpretation, what reason did the rib give for making the change. It certainly wasn't to penalise teams who perfected their maul.

Semantics. All law changes will penalise some and benefit others

Zzippy wrote: »
    There's a difference between incompetent and less competent. Just because a more competent team scores a maul try doesn't make the defending team incompetent, which is what you said. That's like saying Dan Carter outplayed Johnny Sexton, so Sexton is incompetent.

There is no difference between being incompetent and not competent enough to prevent the opposition from scoring. But this is completely off topic.

• Advertisement

Semantics. All law changes will penalise some and benefit others

Actually it is Accuracy, which is fairly fundamental to the changing of a law.
    Particularly in the light of an individual interpretation of that law which is what each game is reliant upon from the ref. so whilst it would be easy to dismiss it, the fact remains that it is the existing law that has been analysed from all 3 sides, offensively, defensively and by the ref to create dynamic situations that evolve as teams attempt to gain advantage, prevent advantage and interpret the legality of that situation. My question remains, why should a team who has worked hard to perfect a move be penalised when it's within the law of the game.

The clue to the answer lies in the rise of the choke tackle as a tactic. If your team is good enough, has the tactical nowse/ deviousness and the physical strength then the maul can be neutralised

Advertisement