Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Muscle and Toning up

Options
  • 16-01-2016 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In the last year i have lost most of weight (3.5ST). Now after loosing the weight im looking to get fit, and tone up. I was on slimming world, but that was quite carb intensive, so i have no idea where to start in terms of food, or exercises to do in a gym.

I could go to a gym around 3 times a week, and i have weights and kettle bells at home, so i could use them if i dont have time to go the gym.

I have no idea where to start, so any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hi,

In the last year i have lost most of weight (3.5ST). Now after loosing the weight im looking to get fit, and tone up. I was on slimming world, but that was quite carb intensive, so i have no idea where to start in terms of food, or exercises to do in a gym.

I could go to a gym around 3 times a week, and i have weights and kettle bells at home, so i could use them if i dont have time to go the gym.

I have no idea where to start, so any help would be much appreciated.

Well, you have started by coming on and asking for advice and you've done a lot f hard work already losing the weight!

What is your goal building muscle or toning up?and what's your height and weight at the minute? Body fat if you know it? That'll help people understand where you are at and go through your options..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Well, you have started by coming on and asking for advice and you've done a lot f hard work already losing the weight!

What is your goal building muscle or toning up?and what's your height and weight at the minute? Body fat if you know it? That'll help people understand where you are at and go through your options..

Toning up I suppose is what i want. I have never really had a nice body, and after loosing weight, i have the chance to do it. I'm 5'10, and 11ST 13LB. I don't know my body fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

First off, good job on losing some weight. At 11st13lb or ~75kg at 5'10, you're probably in the 'skinny fat' range where you're not too heavy but still on the light side and carry some excess fat. I wouldn't lose any more weight at this point.

What I suggest is to take a look at this thread for anything nutrition/diet related and this thread for an exercise plan.

The best way to look better is build muscle and lose fat. It's a very hard thing to do at the same time for most people. What I would do for the moment is increase your protein intake to ~1g per 1lb of bodyweight (this isn't a strict no. but merely a guideline for everyday) and aim to keep your calories either at or a little above maintenance. You'll find your maintenance level here.

Exercise-wise, Hanley's program I linked above is great. Alternatives would be something like 5x5. Basically the best thing to do is join a gym and do squats, deadlifts, bench, some upper back work, shoulder work, and then supplement that with some arms and abs stuff after. You don't have to do this every workout, but as long as you get one of the big 3 and some other compound movements in every day, you'll do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

First off, good job on losing some weight. At 11st13lb or ~75kg at 5'10, you're probably in the 'skinny fat' range where you're not too heavy but still on the light side and carry some excess fat. I wouldn't lose any more weight at this point.

What I suggest is to take a look at this thread for anything nutrition/diet related and this thread for an exercise plan.

The best way to look better is build muscle and lose fat. It's a very hard thing to do at the same time for most people. What I would do for the moment is increase your protein intake to ~1g per 1lb of bodyweight (this isn't a strict no. but merely a guideline for everyday) and aim to keep your calories either at or a little above maintenance. You'll find your maintenance level here.

Exercise-wise, Hanley's program I linked above is great. Alternatives would be something like 5x5. Basically the best thing to do is join a gym and do squats, deadlifts, bench, some upper back work, shoulder work, and then supplement that with some arms and abs stuff after. You don't have to do this every workout, but as long as you get one of the big 3 and some other compound movements in every day, you'll do it properly.

Thanks for the information and links.

Advertisement