Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd: Mega City One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I pretended Almost Human was a prequel series for Dredd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

I'd only sign it if karl urban is guaranteed to return. Could be great

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sonic85 wrote: »
    I'd only sign it if karl urban is guaranteed to return. Could be great

SIGN IT ANY WAY!

or you'll get 5 in an isocube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Karl Urban was a great Dredd.

Am I the only one who also enjoyed the cheesy Stallone version back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭squonk

I think you are :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,171 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Its just a shame that the big push for a Dredd sequel came almost immediately after torrents of it dropped online - indicating a good proportion of the people wanting a sequel never actually supported the original. Would think if the amount of people who would call for a continuation of Dredd actually went to see it in the cinema when it was out, there would have been a far better chance of it getting a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Would think if the amount of people who would call for a continuation of Dredd actually went to see it in the cinema when it was out, there would have been a far better chance of it getting a sequel.

Probably, but it was marketed pretty awfully and it was locked to 3D which meant many figured was like a cash-grab for a shít film.

I wrote it off as looking terrible based on trailers and adverts but saw it from word of mouth and critic reviews and really enjoyed it. Hell, even the 3D was put to good use and was the only time I enjoyed the format since Avatar.

The sequel is a dead duck but I'd definitely be up for a TV version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think a Dredd TV series has a far better chance of success than any sequel to the 2012 film could: the nature of TV vs. Film means the former tends to allow greater room for character work and world-building (if either are allowed to happen in the first place of course) and that could be where a good TV adaptation would pull in the viewers and/or plaudits.

A movie can only ever be a whistle-stop tour through whatever mythology its adapting, so you'll get all the thrills but perhaps less of the depth you might get otherwise; to me it would seem like a TV version would give greater scope for all the brilliantly sharp-edged, oddball & angry satirical angles the comics often took. The sort of stuff that'll only ever be background detail in a (likely) action-oriented film.

Put it another way: I couldn't see 'America' being adequately adapted as a film, but it'd be perfect as an arc in a TV series.

Not that I think online petitions are of any value or anything - even if I signed it myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dredd was one of the only films I went out and bought because I liked it so much.

The only problem I had with the film was that the city wasn't very convincing. It didn't really convey the overcrowding of the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

No i enjoyed it too, couldn't understand everyone saying it didn't have a plot , it clearly did just not a very good one.
    Wasn't a massive fan of the last movie, too realistic for me not like the comic book with all the crazy characters.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Skerries wrote: »

That would be fantastic if the series did take off with Karl Urban as Dredd and Olivia Thirlby as Anderson. Decent budget would be nice too.

I bought the DVD and bluray of the film for myself, then bought a couple more to give as birthday/Christmas presents so I did my bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

No i enjoyed it too, couldn't understand everyone saying it didn't have a plot , it clearly did just not a very good one.
    Wasn't a massive fan of the last movie, too realistic for me not like the comic book with all the crazy characters.

Add me to that too - with the understanding that I have never read a 2000AD comic and so don't know much about the character, but yeah, the Stallone was... OK? Enjoyable in a ridiculous hammed-up way. Plus, having seen it when 11 or so years old probably helped!

As a non-fan, the helmet removal thing wasn't an issue for me :)

I think I preferred it to the new one myself. I should probably watch the new one again though as my memory of it isn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Cursed Earth has the be the story to make.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've been waiting for a decent try at Joe Dredd since I bought Prog 3 of 2000AD when it was new. Dredd was my fave from the very start.
    +1 Urban was brilliant in it. The budget might not have been there to represent Mega City One in all its comic book glory, but I thought the gritty reality aspect worked very well.

It wasn't so bad. yeah it was cheesy and far lighter than the comics, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've been waiting for a decent try at Joe Dredd since I bought Prog 3 of 2000AD when it was new. Dredd was my fave from the very start.

You beat me by 2 weeks! :D Still have them all - yellow and fragile in the attic (
    or is that mother?
    ).

Well as we saw in Almost Human Carl Urban is willing to do tv. And he also wants to reprise the role of Dredd.
    So maybe stars will align. Though wonder how far out it is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

just read the email from 2000ad about that, deadly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's exciting news, frankly I'd given up thinking a y follow up Dredd would happen, though the lack of a network dampens thing a little. Plus a cursory glance at this IM Global crowd doesnt seem to have the most amazing CV...

• Advertisement

Seems to be 2000AD pushing their IP into other areas. Also releasing a remastered version of Rogue Trooper on consoles.

If they could get the movie director involved and get Carl Urban as producer at least, then they may do okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This sounds really cool. The problem with every dredd film so far has been the producers trying to make it more hollywood friendly, they tried to focus entirely on dredd being the main focus of the film and megacity one got relegated to just a name. Even in the last film (which was great) mega city one just looks like LA with some CGI buildings thrown in, it was sparse and didn't look like the jungle of people that the comic city was.

It's been a long time since I've read any 2000AD and dredd, but I don't remember the dredd character being developed all that much, he was a constant and the stories came from what everybody else was doing and the point they ran into dredd through their actions, or by the actions of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dredd was just the same punchline over and again, a bunch of british writers laughing at an American stereotype. Or in Garth Ennis case a nordie making fun of the irish

Mega city one and its supporting cast is a far more interesting premise than Dredd ever could be, but I doubt I tV show will be able to capture that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Bambi wrote: »
    Dredd was just the same punchline over and again, a bunch of british writers laughing at an American stereotype. Or in Garth Ennis case a nordie making fun of the irish

Mega city one and its supporting cast is a far more interesting premise than Dredd ever could be, but I doubt I tV show will be able to capture that

There's decades of material. The Angel Gang, block wars etc.
    Any story that depends heavily on the lead spouting one liners is poor. I don't see why they couldn't replicate some of the excellent story lines. I think there's a lot of comparisons to the world today being a lot closer to Mega City One these days.

Wishful thinking ;)

667337.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Hopefully The Dark Judges will be featuring.

243684-19752-118577-1-2000-a-d.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

ScumLord wrote: »
    This sounds really cool. The problem with every dredd film so far has been the producers trying to make it more hollywood friendly, they tried to focus entirely on dredd being the main focus of the film and megacity one got relegated to just a name. Even in the last film (which was great) mega city one just looks like LA with some CGI buildings thrown in, it was sparse and didn't look like the jungle of people that the comic city was.

It's been a long time since I've read any 2000AD and dredd, but I don't remember the dredd character being developed all that much, he was a constant and the stories came from what everybody else was doing and the point they ran into dredd through their actions, or by the actions of others.

Yeah, there used to be some great one off characters in the Dredd stories (I'm speaking mainly from the perspective of it's 80's heyday) and I loved the Mega-City one backstories about the day to day life of MC1 citizens and the weird crazes that used to feature, Block Mania, the cult of The Fatties, the storylines that satarized contemporary real life trends like plastic surgery and game shows in a similar way that The Robocop movie would go on to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah, there used to be some great one off characters in the Dredd stories (I'm speaking mainly from the perspective of it's 80's heyday) and I loved the Mega-City one backstories about the day to day life of MC1 citizens and the weird crazes that used to feature, Block Mania, the cult of The Fatties, the storylines that satarized contemporary real life trends like plastic surgery and game shows in a similar way that The Robocop movie would go on to do.

That to me was the main attraction of the dredd stories, the life of the city. Did they do some stories about undercover judges later on? I only read it as a kid really

The fact it's subtitled "Mega-City One" hopefully means it's not going to be Dredd exclusive.

I can see the Dark Judges being introduced at the end of season 1 or 2 as a cliffhanger.

Bumping the thread; amid the more high-profile franchises at San Diego Comic-Con, Rebellion revealed that the pilot script for Mega-City One was complete, and had planned out 2 years worth of plot. Pre-production for the pilot is about to kick off too, while Rob Williams, a former writer for 2000AD is apparently the Creative Lead of the project.

Am very curious just how much cash is thrown at this: Mega-City itself would need a fair amount of green-screen to properly translate it, unless the whole show is set in warehouses ala those bottom-rung shows on SyFy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 WhiteNoSugar

Advertisement