Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Necessry to *Directly* Run a Pair of Satellite Cables to Each Sky HD Box

Options
  • 15-01-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Is it necessary to run dual cables from a satellite dish directly to each Sky HD box?

At the moment I have 2 pairs of cables running from my satellite dish to each of my 2 Sky HD boxes (one upstairs and one downstairs) and it works well.

I have never used Virgin Media but there is a cable running outside and neigbhours use it. I would like to be able to switch between Sky and Virgin Media.

I am rewiring the house during an upcoming renovation. Would it be possible to bring in a single pair of satellite dish cables and a Virgin Media cable to a single under stairs point indoors and from there manage the signal to 3 TV's through some sort of splitter or switch?

Of course, an alternative would be to add new Virgin Media signal boxes to each TV point (2 existing and 1 new) but as I'm going to run Cat6 cables throughout the house from the same under stairs area, I figured it might make sense to do the same for the TV cables while I am at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Gruver wrote: »
    Is it necessary to run dual cables from a satellite dish directly to each Sky HD box?

I am rewiring the house during an upcoming renovation. Would it be possible to bring in a single pair of satellite dish cables and a Virgin Media cable to a single under stairs point indoors and from there manage the signal to 3 TV's through some sort of splitter or switch?

Of course, an alternative would be to add new Virgin Media signal boxes to each TV point (2 existing and 1 new) but as I'm going to run Cat6 cables throughout the house from the same under stairs area, I figured it might make sense to do the same for the TV cables while I am at it.

Each tuner in the satellite receiver requires a direct feed from the LNB on the dish or multiswitch, a Sky PVR has 2 tuners and so requires 2 feeds for full functionality. Keep the sat and cable feeds separate.

Your plan to run the 2 existing cables for satellite plus an extra cable for Virgin Media would be recommended. Do you plan a Saorview install at any point in the future?

Best to run extra cabling now if you're doing renovations even if you don't plan to use it now. This poster didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gruver

The Cush wrote: »
    Each tuner in the satellite receiver requires a direct feed from the LNB on the dish or multiswitch, a Sky PVR has 2 tuners and so requires 2 feeds for full functionality. Keep the sat and cable feeds separate.

Your plan to run the 2 existing cables for satellite plus an extra cable for Virgin Media would be recommended. Do you plan a Saorview install at any point in the future?

Best to run extra cabling now if you're doing renovations even if you don't plan to use it now. This poster didn't.

Many thanks. Is it possible to take a pair (or couple of pairs) of cables from the dish to a multiswitch (which I'm not familar with by the way!) and then run cables from the multiswitch (in pairs) to each (3) Sky+ box?

I do intend to keep the satellite and cable feeds (and IP feeds) separate but I thought it made sense to take each feed into the same location within the house and then manage/distribute all of the signals/cables from there.

If at all possible, I'd like to avoid running 3 pairs of cables from the roof mounted satellite dish to 3 separate points inside. I'd also like to try to avoid running 3 separate Virgin Media cables from the front of the house to the same 3 separate points inside.

Providing for a Saorview installation does make sense and is something I should consider.

I agree, it makes sense to pull as much cable as possible. The cable itself is relatively inexpensive and during the renovation I'll be able to feed and pull it myself. I'll only terminate the cables on an as needed basis.

Many thanks. Is it possible to take a pair (or couple of pairs) of cables from the dish to a multiswitch (which I'm not familar with by the way!) and then run cables from the multiswitch (in pairs) to each Sky+ box?

I do intend to keep the satellite and cable feeds (and IP feeds) separate but I thought it made sense to take each feed into the same location within the house and then manage/distribute all of the signals/cables from there.

If at all possible, I'd like to avoid running 3 pairs of cables from the roof mounted satellite dish to 3 separate points inside. I'd also like to try to avoid running 3 separate Virgin Media cables from the front of the house to the same 3 separate points inside.

Providing for a Saorview installation does make sense and is something I should consider.

I agree, it makes sense to pull as much cable as possible. The cable itself is relatively inexpensive and during the renovation I'll be able to feed and pull it myself. I'll only terminate the cables on an as needed basis.

I should have pointed out that what I am trying to achieve is a configuration that will, from time to time, more easily enable me to switch TV/broadband providers.

Is it possible to take a pair (or couple of pairs) of cables from the dish to a multiswitch (which I'm not familar with by the way!) and then run cables from the multiswitch (in pairs) to each Sky+ box?

You could run all co-ax cabling back to a central location in the attic, press etc. and run the cabling from the dish to this point also and then joining there. How many sat feeds do you expect to run around the house?

If you go the sat multiswitch route you will require 4 cables from the dish to switch, each of these cables carry 1 of the 4 satellite sub-bands from the LNB. The Saorview aerial can be combined, if required, with the sat feed on each output from the multiswitch to each TV point and split there. Examples of multiswitches here. This setup will provide Sky or Freesat and Saorview to all TV points if required.

2 way splitters are available to split the VM signal to the various TV points.

A power point will be required at the central location to power the multiswitch, amp etc.

The Cush wrote: »
    You could run all co-ax cabling back to a central location in the attic, press etc. and run the cabling from the dish to this point also and then joining there. How many sat feeds do you expect to run around the house?

If you go the sat multiswitch route you will require 4 cables from the dish to switch, each of these cables carries 1 of the 4 satellite sub-bands from the LNB. The Saorview aerial can be combined, if required, with the sat feed on each output from the multiswitch to each TV point and split there. Examples of multiswitches here. This setup will provide Sky and Freesat to all TV points if required.

2 way splitters are available to split the VM signal to the various TV points.

A power point will be required at the central location to power the multiswitch, amp etc.

From the central (under stairs) location I hope to run coax cables in pairs to 3 separate TV's. If necessary, I can run an additional (3rd) coax cable to provide for a SaorView installation. From the same central location I will also run (at least) pairs of Cat5 cable. I'll ensure that power is available at the central point (and that it is well ventilated).

I am hopeful that, in time, I will be able to very simply switch TV provider between, for example, Sky and Virgin Media. Similarly, I may also change broadband provider. I am hoping that that with the central hub the changeover will become much simpler too.

• Advertisement

From the central (under stairs) location I hope to run coax cables in pairs to 3 separate TV's. If necessary, I can run an additional (3rd) coax cable to provide for a SaorView installation. From the same central location I will also run (at least) pairs of Cat5 cable. I'll ensure that power is available at the central point (and that it is well ventilated).

I am hopeful that, in time, I will be able to very simply switch TV provider between, for example, Sky and Virgin Media. Similarly, I may also change broadband provider. I am hoping that that with the central hub the changeover will become much simpler too.

You could have the situation where you have Sky for TV and Virgin for broadband. My suggestion would be to run 2 dedicated cables for satellite and a dedicated cable for Virgin. Saorview can be fed via one of the sat cables if required or alternatively run a separate cable.

A point to note for the future, the recently announced SkyQ receiver has a different LNB feed setup which means the multiswitch/terrestrial combining setup above won't work but we assume there will be alternative options for combining the terrestrial signal once launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

If you want to go the multiswitch route you will need to change the LNB from a quad to a quatro. BUT quatro LNBs are not made for standard sky dishes. Never mind you will ideally need to change the dish anyway as with multiswitch systems you should go up one size dish. Much easier to fit an octo LNB and wire the additional room direct.

Re Virgin Media. They use their own cables and splitters (which you should not touch). They may not want to use any cables you put in.

winston_1 wrote: »
    If you want to go the multiswitch route you will need to change the LNB from a quad to a quatro.

Re Virgin Media. They use their own cables and splitters (which you should not touch). They may not want to use any cables you put in.

Quad/Quattro compatible multiswitches are available.

Virgin Media won't recable the house, they will use the existing cable and the existing splitter if compatible.

Advertisement